Hbk-4G Heavy Hitter Build

30 replies to this topic

#1 TheUnderseer

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

So I recently got my hands on a HBK-4G.

I have no XL engines, no Double Heat Sinks. Nothing super fancy.

So far, I'm running a pretty fun build of:

Med Pulse Laser (Arms) Flamer (HD) 3x MG (RS) and 3tons MG ammo (LS). I also have the lighter frame and armor, and then pumped Heat Sinks into every open slot.

I know it's not the most ideal build. Far from it. But I can deal an average of 100 dmg per match, with 3+ assists and 0-2 kills.

What I'm wodnering is if anyone has any suggestions for a HBK-4G that can stay around mid range and deal a hefty amount of damage.

I'm not a huge fan of the Ultra AC/5. but if anyone has tips for dealing with the jamming of an UAC/5 then please let me know.

Thanks!

#2 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:32 AM

You knew that the HBK is known for it's hunch with a massive autocannon?

Try something with an AC10 or AC20. Fill up the energy hard points with medium lasers and put what ever weight you have left into an engine. ;-)

Oh, and don't forget to add double heat sinks.

#3 Barrett

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:48 AM

Fast engine, a AC20 coupled with medium lasers and you are an assault Mech's worst nightmare.
But only if you shout "Surprise Butseks!" when tearing into their weak rear armor.

#4 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:06 AM

If you dont have DHS, I would reccomend using an AC20 with 3 or 4 tons of ammo, 2 MGs with 1 ton of ammo, and a medium laser in the head.

It runs a little hot, but you can easily manage the heat. If you got DHS, drop the MGs and ammo, and get 2 MLs in the arms.

#5 TheUnderseer

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:49 AM

OK. Thanks for the suggestions guys. I figured that, what with the giant cannon for a shoulder, the HBK-4G was meant to be a giant, walking bazooka, but I just couldn't figure out a build that I really enjoyed.

I ended up switching things around and going for 2 U/AC5 and 1 PPC. I'll give your suggestions a shot.

Also, what should I do about Ferro and Endo, because right now I'm running both.

#6 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:37 AM

Endo gives you more free weight for the number of slots they take. I would not use both unless you can spare the slots.

If you need the slots, downgrade FF armor to standard.

#7 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

This is the build I run. I love it.
3 medium lasers and an ac/20 with a std 250 engine.
Ferro, endo and double heat sinks.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e4c5f3fe18ca269

#8 JigglyMoobs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostSnowcrow, on 30 August 2013 - 12:04 PM, said:

This is the build I run. I love it.
3 medium lasers and an ac/20 with a std 250 engine.
Ferro, endo and double heat sinks.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e4c5f3fe18ca269

This is a good build and I run something similar too. The key with Hunchies is that you don't have the staying power to sit around and use a high DPS low alpha weapon like UAC5. The AC/20 is likely to work best because you can hit and run like you are meant to.

#9 TheUnderseer

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:23 AM

So I tried all these builds that you guys posted...

They're all a whole ton of fun. Especially the MLas + AC/20.

I kinda altered that build to suit the fact that I'm weird and like MGs and big pew pews. So I swapped out to 2xLLas (LA & RA) and MLas (HD) with 3xMG (RS).

With that build I've been able to deal, on average, 200 damage with 1+ kills. And I just got my grubby little mitts on some DHS, replacing Endo-Steel with them.

Thanks again, everyone who posted their builds and suggestions. I can't say enough how much I love this community!

#10 qki

• 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:43 AM

try this:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0567b0569027116

Runs cool enough with the double heatsinks, though most of its DPS comes from the autocannon, and you want to let someone else engage first - definetely not rush forward to take the full impact yourself.

#11 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:53 AM

Check out my thread that's in my sig. It'll have all the information you're looking for and more. Including builds proven to work. :wub:

#12 TheUnderseer

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:58 AM

View PostReslin, on 31 August 2013 - 12:53 AM, said:

Check out my thread that's in my sig. It'll have all the information you're looking for and more. Including builds proven to work. :wub:

I read your 'snake in the grass' metaphor. All I could think of was a snake with a giant growth bulging from its side. And big, scary fangs coming from the growth...

#13 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:32 PM

The nice thing about AC/20 is that you can do this :
:lol:

Posted Image

This happened last night because I was able to sneak behind a lance of weakened enemies near Kappa in River City. Hid behind buildings to kill them one by one. First to go down was a Victor, then a Highlander, then a BJ. At this point the Cataboat realized what was happening and tried to make a run for it, but was pinned to a wall and ravaged over and over with AC/20 shots. The last kill came from a Jager beset by the entire team at the end so it doesn't really count. :)

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 31 August 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#14 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostTheUnderseer, on 31 August 2013 - 12:58 AM, said:

I read your 'snake in the grass' metaphor. All I could think of was a snake with a giant growth bulging from its side. And big, scary fangs coming from the growth...

LOL Thanks for the image. :)

#15 qki

• 1,034 posts
  • LocationWarsaw

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:28 PM

I don't really play mediums, but when I decided to take my founders hunchback for a spin, this happened:

Posted Image

We were surprised by a jenner and a spider, who managed to cap our base 75%. We chased them off, but after that, our forces were scattered across half the bloody desert. I told my team to get back in the fight while I stand guard, and eventually, it was just me versus the CDA-3M (that claimed 4 kills and was now critical), the raven, and the two spiders, both missing a leg.

Mad props to Zwik and the rest of our team, for crippling all but one enemy. In the end, the cicada went up in flames as soon as i slashed my lasers across its torso, the raven lost a leg to an AC20 shot, then fell under a furious attack. The spiders tried to make the best of it, but one went down to a single AC20 round that exploded his torso after getting off just one shot, and though the last pilot fought with skill and bravery, without his mech's mobility, there could only be one winner.

#16 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:38 PM

View Postqki, on 31 August 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

I don't really play mediums, but when I decided to take my founders hunchback for a spin, this happened:

Posted Image

We were surprised by a jenner and a spider, who managed to cap our base 75%. We chased them off, but after that, our forces were scattered across half the bloody desert. I told my team to get back in the fight while I stand guard, and eventually, it was just me versus the CDA-3M (that claimed 4 kills and was now critical), the raven, and the two spiders, both missing a leg.

Mad props to Zwik and the rest of our team, for crippling all but one enemy. In the end, the cicada went up in flames as soon as i slashed my lasers across its torso, the raven lost a leg to an AC20 shot, then fell under a furious attack. The spiders tried to make the best of it, but one went down to a single AC20 round that exploded his torso after getting off just one shot, and though the last pilot fought with skill and bravery, without his mech's mobility, there could only be one winner.

It's always a good game when you can say the opponent fought with skill and bravery but....

How did that CDA-3M get 4 kills and 604 damage?!! Hunchies I understand but a Commando! Got to look out for that guy when I play, and you too. :)

#17 TheUnderseer

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

View PostJigglyMoobs, on 31 August 2013 - 01:38 PM, said:

It's always a good game when you can say the opponent fought with skill and bravery but....

How did that CDA-3M get 4 kills and 604 damage?!! Hunchies I understand but a Commando! Got to look out for that guy when I play, and you too. :)

More than that, I need to find what build he's using!

#18 TheUnderseer

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

Posted Image
Second round with the AC/20 build you gave me.

I honestly can't decide which I like more. The AC/20+MLas+SLas or the 3xMG+LLas+MLas build...

They're both so sexy.

#19 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

View PostTheUnderseer, on 31 August 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

Posted Image
Second round with the AC/20 build you gave me.

I honestly can't decide which I like more. The AC/20+MLas+SLas or the 3xMG+LLas+MLas build...

They're both so sexy.

I have a new build that was shown me that combines both those setups together in a sense. LBX10 AC, 3 ML, 2 MG, 260 engine. It's right here

Edited by Reslin, 31 August 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#20 TheUnderseer

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

View PostReslin, on 31 August 2013 - 04:13 PM, said:

I have a new build that was shown me that combines both those setups together in a sense. LBX10 AC, 3 ML, 2 MG, 260 engine. It's right here

I tried one game with it before I went to play Awesomenauts for like...3 hours...

The match didn't go too well, mainly because I didn't notice most of the team branching off, so me, a Raven, and a Catapult got caught out of position by an Atlas, Dragon, Catapult, and I want to say Spider.

needless to say, no one survived. I did manage to deal a fairly impressive 28 or so damage before my shoulder was torn asunder.

I've never been a HUGE fan of the LBX10-AC, mainly because I'm not sure how it's supposed to be used properly. Should I just treat it like a normal AC, but be a little more careful about leading my target? Or is it more about snubbing the poor soul and going to town? The spread of the shots seems to be pretty minimal, and its effective range is pretty impressive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users