Quickdraw... Is It Too Large For 60Tons?

9 replies to this topic

#1 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:25 AM

Is it just me or does the Quickdraw seem too large in game for a 60 ton mech?

a Hunchback is 50 tons...
a Trebuchet is 50 tons...
a Jagermech is 65 tons...

the Quickdraw mechs seems disproportionately larger than these other mechs. It should only be 20% large than 50 tonners, but seems about 40% larger to me. It should not be larger than the Jagermechs but it appears a bit larger than the heavier Jagermech. I own triplets of Hunchies, Jagers and Quickdraws. Am I nuts for noticing this from piloting these various mechs? or is this the way PGI decided to balance the Quickdraw, it seems much more difficult to employ half as well as the jagers, partly I think due to weapons range and DPS but more so due to the silhouette size of the Quickdraw, it is not much smaller than most assault mechs yet it is significantly lighter.

While I'm at it, and I love my Jenners, don't they seem a bit small when compared to the commando? 35T vs 25T that is significant, yet they both appear about the same once I account for the geometry differences.

What is the communities' take on this?

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

I like my Quickdraw. LRM in the LT so the height acts in my favour (same reason why the Treb is tall).

It is true that mech height does not scale neatly with mech weight, but in actual gameplay I feel the Quickdraw performs it's role just fine.

Height is not the only dimension that needs to be addressed. Mech width and depth (front to back) also needs to be taken into account, mechs like the Hunchback and Jager have stocky legs and stocky bodies which makes the shorter than similarly-weighted mechs. Mechs like the Dragon and Catapult have a great deal of front-back depth. Mechs like the Quickdraw and Kintaro are much thinner and so must be taller.

We already have a great deal of hardpoint overlap, making every mech with the same weight into the same height would be boring. Just accept that not every mech will be 100% perfectly balanced and play the mechs you enjoy.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 30 August 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#3 L Y N X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 629 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

I don't think I mentioned the the attribute of height in my original post, so maybe you are arguing with yourself wrt height. I was not referring to height, except as indirectly as one of many attribute that defines how large or small a mech appears. I like the quickdraw too, I think it is too large for it's weight, I am asking if you agree or disagree? I am a fan of it having bought three.

Treb, and Cataphract are pancake mechs, where the stalker and catapults are torpedo or zeplin-like (zeplin with mouse ears in the cat case) mechs.

I appreciate the diversity in shapes, I would not cal the Quickdraw a pancake mech like the treb or cataphract. it is almost as deep as it is wide. maybe that is lending to my perception of mass.

Edited by 7ynx, 30 August 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#4 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:39 AM

Yes, it is too large. The darn thing weighs in size-wise at about 75 tons... for a 60-ton mech. And it isn't even flat from the side profile, so that half-baked excuse that "justifies" the grossly oversized Trebuchet, Centurion, and Awesome won't work here either. Nope... it's just too big.

Edited by oldradagast, 30 August 2013 - 10:39 AM.

#5 Stardust Reverie

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationWithin the Border of Fantasy

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

As I type this, I have the game up and am using a Quickdraw in the testing grounds and have it standing next to an Atlas. It looks to be just as wide, just as thick and almost as tall as the Atlas. And most of it seems to be just as bulky as the Atlas. Yet it is 40 tons lighter. So, you essentially have a mech with proportions comparable to a 100 ton mech but, with the armor and firepower of a 60 ton mech.

Yes, it is too big.

#6 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:07 AM

Its too big. The fact that it shares the same profile as highlander and victor speak for itself.

Edited by ManDaisy, 09 September 2013 - 06:08 AM.

#7 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

love the quickdraw. maybe a tiny bit to large, but it seems fine to me.

#8 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:45 AM

[redacted]

OK to the topic:

While Typhoon seems to have supperior knowlege about mechs - sizes and weight:
here some "findings"

Mech structure: first:
structure including: bio polymers - muscles, joints and bones:

refering to Fire for Effect: the bones of a mech concist of a core of alluminium, multiple thin layers of siclicium carbon and a outher shell of ferrotitanium.

Lets say: a bone with 1m lenght has a thickness of 15cm including myomer - that means that bone has a weight of 120kg.
For the atlas - and 16m height a stick figure would have bones for 49m lenght and a weight of 5.8 tons.

However that means the bigger the mech - the more structure is needed the more weight the final mech would have.

Armor for example:

could consits of multiple layer of hardened steel, wolfram carbide, boron nitride, aramid and carbon nanotubes, aluminium oxide - overall only tripple the weight of steel and surely with some magically bullet proof abilitys but still

1m² of armor and a thinkness of 66mm would have a weight of ~200kg

That means the bigger the Mech - the more weight is spend for armor - or in other words: a 60t Mech that have 10tons of armor could cover 50m² with 66mm battletech magic composite - or it can cover 100m² with 33mm thickness.
That means the bigger the Mech - the less armor is available.

Refering to your insulting example of the hunchback.
The gun is armored - the torso is armored too... its highly obvoiously that the main gun of a Mech - when it has a main gun should be better armored. Not to mention the stronger super structure to carry that additional weight.

Edited by miSs, 10 September 2013 - 09:11 AM.
quote clean up / responding to deleted content

#9 Dace x

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

It's been awhile, but I picked one of these up having thought about getting one for awhile. Man. They're much too big. For my taste, it's a good mech, but the size is hysterical. As mentioned, you stand as tall as Assaults and larger than many heavier mechs. To the point where I struggle to bring it out from its bay.

Has any mech been re-sized post release, to date? If not, I'm thinking of just getting rid of what is, besides this, a nice mech.

#10 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

Oh yes it is. MWO artists clearly do not understand scaling.

Here's some MSPaint magic of mine (notice the incredible detail and accuracy). Granted, volume is not always equal to weight (Luke, it is your density!), but they correlate strongly. When it's off by an order of magnitude, there's no amount of air space that will account for that.

Can make your own diagram for the quickdraw; I'm too lazy to do it again. Sorry for the excessive size.

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users