Custom Hbk 4G Std 250 - The Reacher

17 replies to this topic

#1 WarWise

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

This idea came from my experience of lacking enough long range DPS, meaning I couldnt do enough damage, even if in a good spot, requiring me to move closer, increasing the chance of me getting killed.

I currently have a STD 250 engine, and Im using a custom build with 1 AC 20 and 3 Medium Lasers.

Ive been toying with the idea of a HBK 4G with 1 UAC and 2 LLasers in a STD 240 engine. Check it out:

HBK 4G STD 240 Reacher (1 UAC 5 - 75 ammo - 2 LLasers)
HBK-4G Reacher

The deal is that I already have a STD 250 on my HBK, and would like to use it, but I needed the two extra tons (250 -> 240) to get ammo. I end up with 75 UAC 5 ammo. With the 250 engine I would only have 25 rounds. The advantage is that I get 2 long range lasers.

I could use the 250 engine and heavilyt downgrade the armor, or instead of 2 LLasers only have one and use another medium laser, using the other 4 tons for ammo (going up to 125 rounds). Or 1 Large laser, 2 medium lasers and 100 rounds,
This is what I would use with a 250 engine (I wouldnt have to buy it), Compared to what I have I would lose the AC20 in favor of a UAC 5, get 100 rounds, get one LLaser and keep 2 MLasers.

HBK-4G STD 250 Reacher (1 UAC 5 - 100 ammo - 1 LLaser 2 MLaser)
HBK-4G STD 250 Reacher

Are these builds good? Or should I do something completely diferent? The idea is to keep my STD 250 and increase my long range DPS (Changing 1 AC 20 to 1 UAC 5 + 1 LLaser and keep 2 MLasers).

Thanks for the help.

#2 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

I don't see much people using a build like this... I've toyed with the idea of using a long range hunchback as well. I've tried UAC, Gauss rifle, and then settled on this. Unlike the others it doesn't require ammo at all. It has extreme range, pinpoint accuracy, and can still be used just like the other variants in CQC.

#3 WarWise

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

That looks nice. Instead of changing my 4G I might start geting other variants (to improve skills), and I might go for the 4P next.

#4 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostWarWise, on 30 August 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

That looks nice. Instead of changing my 4G I might start geting other variants (to improve skills), and I might go for the 4P next.

There's nothing wrong with your 4G build really. The big issue I came across when thinking of using UAC5's from range is that often I only get time to get a single shot or two off before needing cover. The ERPPC 4P is perfect for that. Fire once and get into cover before coming out at a new angle to fire again. This has just been my own personal experience, however.

Edited by Reslin, 30 August 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#5 WarWise

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

Some guys recomended that I change the UAC 5 for a AC5, which weights less, and has more ammo/ton. That enabled 2 large lasers on a STD 250 engine.

HBK-4G Reacher Mk III - STD 250 / 1 AC-5: 60 rounds + 2 LLasers.

HBK-4G Reacher Mk III

I may have problem against light mech, so I may change to the one with some medium lasers.

Ill try the above build once I get enouth money to buy the stuff, Ive just bought a HBK 4P.

#6 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:55 PM

Two suggestions off of the top of my head.

For starters you need at least 10 heat sinks and your first build only has 9.

Secondly I would always recommend putting your largest energy weapons on the Hunchback's LEFT arm if you're only going to have a single heavy energy weapon. The reason is because of redundancy. When (not if) you lose your hunch you're going to lose a lot of your fire power. If you have 2 medium lasers and a single large laser and your large laser is on your right arm when your hunch goes so goes your large laser leaving you with rather pathetic damage. An exception to this rule would be when your most powerful weapons only occupy a single slot. If that is the case put it in your head since it's always the last thing to go.

Aside from that ammo will end up being your biggest concern and I have no advice for that that wouldn't completely alter the spirit of your build. If you're having fun using it then keep on using it!

#7 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

Oh, I also forgot to suggest.. you should have 46 armor in your hunch. It will increase it's life expectancy big time.

#8 WarWise

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:04 PM

I got it 46/2.
Im using 9 medium lasers right now (lol), but once I get the money Im getting a PPC.

Yet, going after mechs backs and using all 9 lasers at once feels great lol. I managed to kill a Atlas with two suck burts at its back.

#9 Reslin

• PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:28 PM

View PostWarWise, on 30 August 2013 - 08:04 PM, said:

I got it 46/2.
Im using 9 medium lasers right now (lol), but once I get the money Im getting a PPC.

Yet, going after mechs backs and using all 9 lasers at once feels great lol. I managed to kill a Atlas with two suck burts at its back.

The 9 laser build is actually really powerful. It's a solid brawler. I just prefer the ER PPC setup it has a bit more versatility imo. :wub:

#10 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

View PostWarWise, on 30 August 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

This idea came from my experience of lacking enough long range DPS, meaning I couldnt do enough damage, even if in a good spot, requiring me to move closer, increasing the chance of me getting killed.

I currently have a STD 250 engine, and Im using a custom build with 1 AC 20 and 3 Medium Lasers.

Ive been toying with the idea of a HBK 4G with 1 UAC and 2 LLasers in a STD 240 engine. Check it out:

HBK 4G STD 240 Reacher (1 UAC 5 - 75 ammo - 2 LLasers)
HBK-4G Reacher

The deal is that I already have a STD 250 on my HBK, and would like to use it, but I needed the two extra tons (250 -> 240) to get ammo. I end up with 75 UAC 5 ammo. With the 250 engine I would only have 25 rounds. The advantage is that I get 2 long range lasers.

I could use the 250 engine and heavilyt downgrade the armor, or instead of 2 LLasers only have one and use another medium laser, using the other 4 tons for ammo (going up to 125 rounds). Or 1 Large laser, 2 medium lasers and 100 rounds,
This is what I would use with a 250 engine (I wouldnt have to buy it), Compared to what I have I would lose the AC20 in favor of a UAC 5, get 100 rounds, get one LLaser and keep 2 MLasers.

HBK-4G STD 250 Reacher (1 UAC 5 - 100 ammo - 1 LLaser 2 MLaser)
HBK-4G STD 250 Reacher

Are these builds good? Or should I do something completely diferent? The idea is to keep my STD 250 and increase my long range DPS (Changing 1 AC 20 to 1 UAC 5 + 1 LLaser and keep 2 MLasers).

Thanks for the help.

Just want to let you know that your STD 240 build is not playable; I'm not saying it's bad, but literally the game will not let you play with it. You need a minimum of ten heat sinks to launch, and your build only has nine, which means you need to add one in there somewhere (the heat sink count is displayed on the left hand side).

The nice thing about the 250-rated engine is that it comes with ten heat sinks built into it, so you don't have to add any external heat sinks. It will also help your cooling, as each in-engine double heatsink gives you 2.0 heat dissipation per second and adds 2.0 to your heat capacity, while double heatsinks outside the engine only cool for 1.4 heat/second and only add 1.4 to your heat cap. For these reasons, the 250 engine is very efficient, and a good engine to have on hand. While it may say that it weighs two tons more than the 240 engine, because of the heat sink it gains in practice it only weighs one ton more because it eliminates your need to place an external heatsink in the mech, and frees up 3 crit slots.

It might be worth it to use a regular AC5 and shave 1 ton of armor from the arms/legs instead, that will get you to 250.

p.s. and as a long-time Hunchback pilot myself, I highly recommend setting your right torso armor to something like 45 in front 3 in back, as the hunch 'front' hitbox actually wraps all the way around the back, and the only part that really counts as being in back is small section in the rear below the hunch. As such, it never really gets hit, and because your hunch is a huge target, putting as much armor as possible into the part that actually gets shot is a good idea. See http://mwomercs.com/...x-localisation/ for more info.

#11 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:12 AM

I think there is nothing wrong with a sub 250 engine on a hunchback. Just don't forget to fill up your heat sink count to 10 ;-) You'll still get respectable speeds on a 50 ton mech with 210-240 engines. (74-85 Kph)

About that energy weapon on the left arm... mmm. I have the complete opposite experience. My left arm is, by definition, the first thing to go in any match. It is the arm that ill take all the hits on when i'm moving into a fight. I drive the HBK much like a Centurion in that way. But tbh, that is with brawling type HBKs (AC20 HBK, LSR 4P, classic 4SP), i'm not much of a long range guy.

#12 WarWise

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

View PostReslin, on 30 August 2013 - 08:28 PM, said:

The 9 laser build is actually really powerful. It's a solid brawler. I just prefer the ER PPC setup it has a bit more versatility imo. :)

Yes, I used the ER PPC. It is working great. Good for all distances, and I can even use the medium lasers most of the time. I dont know if its because Im becoming proficient with the Hunchback or because of the build, but so far it has been my favorite build so far.
I got the idea of changing 2 large lasers and instead getting 2 AC 5 for long range. Complement that either with medium lasers or machine guns or burst medium lasers for close contact. Still havent tested that but it looks promising. Ive found that one single AC5 + 2 LLasers doesnt give me enough power to change the plastyle to a long range fighter, and at the same time leaving me way too weak against light mechs. Something like this:

HBK-4G STD 250 Reacher Mk IV

So far Ive had better sucess with a 4P variant with 5 medium lasers and 1 ER PPC. I either have to change my style, try the 2 AC5 build or just leave a proper balistic build for a Jaeger.

Edited by WarWise, 31 August 2013 - 12:06 PM.

#13 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

I use a STD 215 in my HBK-4G(F) with an AC20 and 3xMLas and 4 tons of ammo, endo.

I get this in some matches:

Posted ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

My best in that mech is 800 points of damage.

bigger engine means less firepower.

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 01 September 2013 - 06:28 PM.

#14 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

This is a build I used for awhile, a sniper 4G.
HBK-4G
3x AC/2 9t ammo
1x MLaz
AMS 1t ammo
200 XL
272 Amour
10 DHS
Endo Steel

Stay out of sight and dakka away.
If I get rushed and have to fire my MLaz usually means I will be dead very soon.
Take the seismic module.

Not sure it is still viable now with the heat penalty for AC/2, probably need 2 coolshots now.

Edited by xengk, 01 September 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#15 Gremlich Johns

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

View Postxengk, on 01 September 2013 - 10:33 PM, said:

This is a build I used for awhile, a sniper 4G.
HBK-4G
3x AC/2 9t ammo
1x MLaz
AMS 1t ammo
200 XL
272 Amour
10 DHS
Endo Steel

Stay out of sight and dakka away.
If I get rushed and have to fire my MLaz usually means I will be dead very soon.
Take the seismic module.

Not sure it is still viable now with the heat penalty for AC/2, probably need 2 coolshots now.

what's your high score with this mech? Or do you just like it for the dakka?

#16 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

View PostGremlich Johns, on 02 September 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

what's your high score with this mech? Or do you just like it for the dakka?

I haven't use it for quite some time after finding the Blackjack much better at the job.
Highest damage I dealt in this built was close to 900, in almost brawling range.
On an average it hover around 500~600 damage, if I survive long enough.

I consider above 400 damage in a medium as good result.

#17 XStonedogX

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

I had a lot of fun playing one with just (3) Lg Lasers. kicked up the armor and HS and engine. Great for sniping in burst or single and still brawled pretty well for a HBK

#18 WarWise

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

I got so frustrated that I stoped searching for the best balistic combination and instead started using two ER PPC and 3 machine guns. Of course now they have nerfed the ER PPC, so even that sucks now. Yet, I do have a lot of fun with my stupid machine guns lol.
The PPCs allow me some good range attacks while the stupid machineguns give me a lot of happiness over close range.

Behoooooooooooooollllllllllllllllldddddddddddd, weighting 50 tons of pure garbage, here comes, the AMAZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGG REACHERRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

HBK-4G Reacher Mk Awesome

Edited by WarWise, 03 September 2013 - 09:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users