Making Pugs Better

48 replies to this topic

#41 Gildamere

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:54 PM

Saying GG is like bowing in martial arts. It's a thing you do after battle. Always.
It is not ridiculing your enemy after 12-0 but a simple gesture saying something like "thanks for playing against me".
It's sportsmanship.

#42 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 07 October 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostGildamere, on 07 October 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

Saying GG is like bowing in martial arts. It's a thing you do after battle. Always.
It is not ridiculing your enemy after 12-0 but a simple gesture saying something like "thanks for playing against me".
It's sportsmanship.

I would agree with this, except that I have run into a few to many who have made it a point to make it clear to the other side there was no respect meant.

In general I choose to take it as a sign of respect though - the alternative is depressing :D
On the plus side, those who do make that attitude clear, make it much easier to put them on my ignore list :D
(Now if only they would put a more functional one in the actual game :D)

#43 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:29 PM

It's sportsmanship.

I understand what you mean, but too many people take it as an insult even if it isn't meant that way. So if the battle was lopsided, then I just say Thx for the game and go on. If I am dropping with the DHB, then I usually just shut up or follow the ranking members lead. :)

#44 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 07 October 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

I would agree with this, except that I have run into a few to many who have made it a point to make it clear to the other side there was no respect meant.

Don't let self-important jerks ruin it for you and everyone else.

I've run with several folks who complain about pugs, assume they're dumb and annoying, and ultimately blame anything that goes wrong on them (even when the strategy they were using was actually very well done). Ultimately, the folks I enjoy playing with more are the ones who take the beating, dust off, and head right back out there to go get em the next time.

#45 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostBront, on 08 October 2013 - 10:51 AM, said:

Don't let self-important jerks ruin it for you and everyone else.

Was taught a rule back playing WoW :D

"First to complain = Worst on Team. No exceptions"

#46 Geek Verve

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCentral Indiana, USA

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

All good suggestions, Bront. Whenever I see someone with a superiority complex raging in PUG chat, I remind them that it's their own ELO that caused them to be paired up with the rest of us. Every single one of them to a person had the sense to stop talking at that point. :D

Edited by Geek Verve, 10 October 2013 - 06:34 AM.

#47 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

View Post7ynx, on 28 September 2013 - 11:34 AM, said:

I think you need to gain some maturity... Offering a GG or good-game after the match is good sportsmanship pure and simple, if you take it as condescending then you are behaving immaturely about good sportsmanship. I offer a GG after 99% of my matches win or lose. GG is about good sportsmanship, if any community ever needed lessons on good sportsmanship it is the online gaming community.

No, any group that steamrolls a pug and then says in chat, "GG", deserve nothing but a "DIAF" in return.

I'm mature enough to recognize the difference between a good game and a spanking. In a 12v12, where it happened as a cascade effect, sure. But in a PuG match where it happened because some guys who can barely control their mechs wandered out into the open and got obliterated, facilitating the steamroll, saying "GG" is fecking insulting.

It's you insulting your own intelligence, not mine. I'm not stupid enough to not be able to recognize a terrible match when I see one, but apparently some other people are. If it's clearly not a good game, and you say, "GG", I have to assume you are not a smart person, which is why I say, "DIAF". Because that's where I want the stupid people to be.

Edited by Training Instructor, 08 October 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#48 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:38 AM

It's sportsmanship.

That would be great if we were all dueling, Eastern martial arts style, but we're not.
If I drop solo, I'm one of 12 involuntary teammates, and I don't get to pick them. Much like when I was in Army basic training, surrounded by morons, I have to take the punishment for other people's mistakes. In that particular warrior society, which has been a lot more influential and successful than the warrior societies of East Asia, you had to take the punishment, but you didn't have to thank your opponents for giving it out.

You understand what I'm saying? Are you picking up what I'm putting down?

Don't get too caught up in rituals from failed cultures.

#49 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 08 October 2013 - 01:56 PM

View PostGeek Verve, on 08 October 2013 - 11:17 AM, said:

All good suggestions, Bront. Whenever I see someone with a superiority complex raging in PUG chat, I remind them that it's their own ELO that caused them to be paired them up with the rest of us. Every single one of them to a person had the sense to stop talking at that point. :D

*BOOM* Headshot!! :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users