- - - - -

General Questions

178 replies to this topic

#1 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

Since my other topic got overcrowded, I created this one.

1) With two days left on the clock, what will PGI/IGP release with launch besides Orion C-bill variants and Centurion Champion? Doesn't seem like UI 2.0, CW, or Direct x11. If I were them I would bump back the launch date, the game is great but not perfect.

2) Trial mechs are still showing very fancy (more like stupid) colors like bright green with pink or dark blue with purple. I still don't know if it's randomized camo scheme or something but I always see trials in weird colors. Only happened since seemingly last patch.

3) How do you use the command in battlegrid? I attempted to use lance commander with a 4 man group, but every time I attempted to place markers, it apparently doesn't show. Any picture guide on how to use it now?

4) Had a terrible game a few minutes ago, 6 guys dc'd. Has PGI/IGP fixed the random dcs by other players or are they choosing to drop?

5) I finally sold my three mastered hunchies and is now piloting a 4h and 4sp with cheaper weaponry. I'm just going to master those quickly and then use my remaining 30 mil (I haven't really bought anything since my 4p, 4j, and 4g, and then 4h and 4sp I gave myself a budget of 5 mil each. I originally had 40 mil and didn't use any premium account or hero mechs.) Next I'm going for Ravens for sure, so any good advice on those builds? I think I can get another 10 mil from grinding the 4h and 4sp. I have looked at the Ravens, 2x, 3L, and 4x and I'm thinking 2x as a pure sniper build, 3L as a ecm scout with streaks and lasers, and 4x as a jumping Yen-Lo or Hunchie.

6) Lastly, is there anything on new maps, gamemodes, etc? I haven't seen anything for a long while and this game is fun, but repetitive.

Anyway, thanks for the answers in advance. ;)

#2 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:59 PM

1) Nothing.

#3 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

View PostAym, on 15 September 2013 - 09:59 PM, said:

1) Nothing.

This!

#4 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:38 PM

1. Those features are not ready, so the short answer is that it's just another day in MWO.
2. There is some glitch where trial mechs will wear the same camo as that player's owned variant (if they own it too). Might that be what you are seeing? Are you sure it is really a trial mech and not the actual variant with the default loadout?
3. I don't think the lance commander can issue commands. only the company commander. I haven't tried it though.
4. I have never witnessed this. Most likely a random fluke. It could be a combination of issues. maybe 3 guys DC'd and 3 more thinking it was hopeless (combination of hardware/connection/choice?). I have never seen 6 drop at once. Actually, with 12 players on a side, one DC doesn't affect the outcome as much as it used to.
5. I'm gonna skip this one. Remember that Ravens have a lot less armor than Hunchbacks so you will have to adjust how you play with them. That said, by all means, experiment with what you find fun with them!
6. No new gamemodes for awhile it looks. I am not expecting one before Dec. There should be a new map about every 2 months though. The next one is a tropical island and there is a moon base after that (so actually they are unique maps, not altered times of existing maps).

#5 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:16 AM

Launch is mostly a *publicity* event, and there never were any big features planned to release the same day. What we can expect is big news released during the launch party in San Francisco (also a publicity event)

Send a screenshot of graphic bugs to support@mwomercs.com but I think that one is a known issue.

They stopped giving out very much advanced info a out things like maps because they can't stick to a timeline. A new map is coming soon but I don't think they said when, and further maps are based on only one brief comment from a few months back. Maps seem to take about 6-8 weeks

Launch is mostly a *publicity* event, and there never were any big features planned to release the same day. What we can expect is big news released during the launch party in San Francisco (also a publicity event)

Send a screenshot of graphic bugs to support@mwomercs.com but I think that one is a known issue.

They stopped giving out very much advanced info a out things like maps because they can't stick to a timeline. A new map is coming soon but I don't think they said when, and further maps are based on only one brief comment from a few months back. Maps seem to take about 6-8 weeks

#6 EyeDie I

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:58 AM

i think a map or 2 is whats coming next,i had read maybe ui2 by november and theyre working on DX!! but its buggy and crashy or should i say more buggy and crashy.

#7 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

View Postluxebo, on 15 September 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

1) With two days left on the clock, what will PGI/IGP release with launch besides Orion C-bill variants and Centurion Champion? Doesn't seem like UI 2.0, CW, or Direct x11. If I were them I would bump back the launch date, the game is great but not perfect.

None, We launched a year ago... the new "features" for launch just prove it. :) They just now had enough time to have an intern stop doing their gameplay changes and had them change the title instead. Oh yea, and a good way to try and drum up more interest and money for the game. To be honest the only real good changes in a long time has been HSR (hit or miss) and the night vision changes.

#8 luigi256

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 September 2013 - 08:18 AM

Aw was hoping for some amount of changes. Maybe they will pull a fast one and release something else instead of just a simple patch update.

#9 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:30 PM

View PostJohnny Reb, on 15 September 2013 - 10:20 PM, said:

This!

I'm hoping not, but looks like so.

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 15 September 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

1. Those features are not ready, so the short answer is that it's just another day in MWO.
2. There is some glitch where trial mechs will wear the same camo as that player's owned variant (if they own it too). Might that be what you are seeing? Are you sure it is really a trial mech and not the actual variant with the default loadout?
3. I don't think the lance commander can issue commands. only the company commander. I haven't tried it though.
4. I have never witnessed this. Most likely a random fluke. It could be a combination of issues. maybe 3 guys DC'd and 3 more thinking it was hopeless (combination of hardware/connection/choice?). I have never seen 6 drop at once. Actually, with 12 players on a side, one DC doesn't affect the outcome as much as it used to.
5. I'm gonna skip this one. Remember that Ravens have a lot less armor than Hunchbacks so you will have to adjust how you play with them. That said, by all means, experiment with what you find fun with them!
6. No new gamemodes for awhile it looks. I am not expecting one before Dec. There should be a new map about every 2 months though. The next one is a tropical island and there is a moon base after that (so actually they are unique maps, not altered times of existing maps).

Maybe I might be seeing the first glitch, but at the same time I doubt. Most players would stick to their own mechs and screw trials. However, I play with trials as an additional grind so I don't have to grind so much when I actually get that variant. I know that it's a trial because I often pilot trials and if an opposing player with trial has different camo, I know he is a trial if he fires Lrms or other stuff in minimum/maximum range, has 3pv on, bump into teammates or walls, or other beginner stuff.

I have no idea if the lance/company command works but I see that it sorta seems to work when others are in command. I heard that you can switch through mechs into different lances, though I won't abuse the power and if anybody wants me to switch back then I will no problem.

Can't say much on that one game, weird incident. Also can't say much on the Ravens, need an expert light pilot to help because I've only driven trial ravens that have slow speeds (81-97) and the cicada (113). I really would enjoy more diversity in the game, a bit boring after playing like 10 Tourmaline Desert games in a row! Thanks for the help everyone. :D

#10 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:18 PM

View Postluxebo, on 15 September 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

2) Trial mechs are still showing very fancy (more like stupid) colors like bright green with pink or dark blue with purple. I still don't know if it's randomized camo scheme or something but I always see trials in weird colors. Only happened since seemingly last patch.

3) How do you use the command in battlegrid? I attempted to use lance commander with a 4 man group, but every time I attempted to place markers, it apparently doesn't show. Any picture guide on how to use it now?

4) Had a terrible game a few minutes ago, 6 guys dc'd. Has PGI/IGP fixed the random dcs by other players or are they choosing to drop?

5) I finally sold my three mastered hunchies and is now piloting a 4h and 4sp with cheaper weaponry. I'm just going to master those quickly and then use my remaining 30 mil (I haven't really bought anything since my 4p, 4j, and 4g, and then 4h and 4sp I gave myself a budget of 5 mil each. I originally had 40 mil and didn't use any premium account or hero mechs.) Next I'm going for Ravens for sure, so any good advice on those builds? I think I can get another 10 mil from grinding the 4h and 4sp. I have looked at the Ravens, 2x, 3L, and 4x and I'm thinking 2x as a pure sniper build, 3L as a ecm scout with streaks and lasers, and 4x as a jumping Yen-Lo or Hunchie.

6) Lastly, is there anything on new maps, gamemodes, etc? I haven't seen anything for a long while and this game is fun, but repetitive.

Anyway, thanks for the answers in advance. :huh:

To add to this:
7) Is there a map guide at all or a mech tier list that's not biased and for mid elo players (not one that says only ECM scouts and cheese PPC Stalkers and 2 PPC 1 Gauss poptarts.) I know 80bits upgrading his tier list, which would be really appreciated!

Edit: 8) What's Operation 24 and what's new in launch when it happens? I only ask because I can still respond to this during work rather than waiting till I get home. I'm lazy. :blush:

Edited by luxebo, 16 September 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#11 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

Bump, anybody gonna say anything on 3,5, and 7? My game's patching right now so disregard 8 and all the others are solved sorta. Cool stuff!

#12 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

#3 don't bother, use voice. Anything taking you away from the rest is going to get you killed. To be honest I don't know as its never used in a way that matters as people just use voice.

#5 lots of very good builds. You may want to check the sub-forum for builds. :)
http://mwomercs.com/...ht-mech-guides/

#7 Not sure what your looking for.. several sites have the mechs and maps posted for review.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

#8.. Yep we launched.. a year ago. or today.. naw a year ago.. ps. the Website still says Beta.. ;) Yep the launch was that good.

Edited by Corison, 17 September 2013 - 03:07 PM.

#13 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for the info (even though I already know smurfy and the side forums, I'll look at Raven builds later.)

Seems like the game is running better, trials are champions now (I think there's a giant reason to play those as you basically have free usable mechs!) Atlas is very powerful, Cent is probably as good as before, Dragon I have to find how to play that thing (It's decent in speed, low armor, nothing much to do about it.) Jenner, I also need help with this, how should a light play? I often see a light or two own my whole team or their whole team, but it seems completely different from the other lights before.

All that's needed is more variety in the game (more mechs, maps, gamemodes), CW, and UI 2.0.

#14 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

Lights play ... however you like them. :) They can fill a number of general roles if you wish to break it down as such.

1. Scout, Find but don't engage. High speed, long range weapons, tag, ecm.. Spot and run. Your only threat is light hunter groups or the lucky gauss shot.

2. Support, ECM helps, slower speed, stronger weapons. Stay with the main group and pick your targets. Stay out of sight, take your shots and move, make sure your never the focus of fire and try to take out weak mechs or pick up rear shots.

3. Hunter/skirmish, High sped, short ranged weapons, move in a pack and destroy stragglers or scouts.

You can of course combine mix and match as you want to fit your style. In general if you stray alone make sure to keep ecm/max speed. If you stay with the main group you can drop some speed for firepower..

Edited by Corison, 17 September 2013 - 03:46 PM.

#15 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

Once again thanks for the info Corison! Still need some solid Raven build ideas (I planned some but they probably suck since I also put a limit of 8-9 mil on each.) Also need to figure out how to use the command thing as I have not an idea how the others do. Voice, yeah I use that but when pugging, people like to not do things in any strategy. I hope 80bit can continue to update his mech guide, but I need something on maps still because I haven't seen a thing on maps in the forum (guides or strategies.) I tried all the trials, they're all solid in their roles for sure.

#16 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

I have an idea on the trials, why not put a champion on each mech chassis first and then each variant? The trials wouldn't gain xp anymore (OP if that happened) and gain maybe less for balance? Each trial would just stay in the trial section, can't be changed, same as a normal trial. This would encourage new players in thinking of the variety and some sort of choice for first mech. Also, champion mechs should be removed in this situation. Just an idea though, that would increase player usage due to variety (though it might flatten if PGI didn't work on the other subjects, like maps and gamemodes, balance, etc.) Once again just an idea.

#17 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

For Ravens.. There are a lot of common builds. Some are just fun, others are effective.
Note that after mastering my raven I sold off all the ones that don't have ecm. I consider ECM as must have for lights not moving in hunter packs. All of my builds use ecm when possible but that's a personal choice. -_-

My most frequent version is below.. Alternate swap out SSRMS for SRMs.
Tag + 2 ML + SSRM's with speed. Your a good scout/spotter and can skirmish a little. As an alternate you can drop the ML's and SSRM's and pick up a PPC/ERPPC and snipe & run at max speed. If your pugging you can drop the tag for another ML.. but I like tag myself.

Light skirmisher.. Slower and needs backup, but fun.
2 Large Lasers - Try for rear/side shots. Stay behind the main line and out of sight. Use tag as a bonus if you have the third energy point. Not only does it get you a spotting bonus, but makes a nice laser sight. :ph34r: This also works with 2 PPC's but you have to sacrifice a little and pace your firing.

For light hunting..
2 MPL 2 MG 1 SRM6 - not my choice design but can be effective.

For giggles...
AC20... Yep.. You only get a couple shots but can make them count and can be fun. You can still push 100 kph or so.
or for annoyance
AC2x2 - Good for annoying people but not much else... but very good for that.

Edited by Corison, 18 September 2013 - 05:44 AM.

#18 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

Looking at the builds, I'm thinking going for that 3L build, light skirmisher 2x build, and ac20 4x build. They all look great, small sniper, jump brawler, and powerful ECM build. All I need is what XL Engine should be used, don't need super speed, and would rather it be usable with other mechs later on (Jager/Cat?)

#19 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 18 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

Raven's do not share XL Engines with much of anything. XL245 is the common engine across all 3. Jagers and Cats use 250 to 315.

#20 Joe Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 205 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

View PostCorison, on 17 September 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

Lights play ... however you like them. B) They can fill a number of general roles if you wish to break it down as such.

1. Scout, Find but don't engage. High speed, long range weapons, tag, ecm.. Spot and run. Your only threat is light hunter groups or the lucky gauss shot.

2. Support, ECM helps, slower speed, stronger weapons. Stay with the main group and pick your targets. Stay out of sight, take your shots and move, make sure your never the focus of fire and try to take out weak mechs or pick up rear shots.

3. Hunter/skirmish, High sped, short ranged weapons, move in a pack and destroy stragglers or scouts.

You can of course combine mix and match as you want to fit your style. In general if you stray alone make sure to keep ecm/max speed. If you stay with the main group you can drop some speed for firepower..

Don't forget harassment. If you can tie up a few enemies from engaging the main group, or turn their backs toward the main group you can be very effective. It is very important to keep moving or, pop in and out of cover keeping them focused on you. You can also disengage have them spend time turning toward main group and then re-engage. Just watch your heat(lights should never overheat) instant death, and do not engage anyone with more than one set of streaks mounted.

Cheers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users