#41 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

View Postluxebo, on 20 September 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

BTW, if mech skills have been unlocked, do they apply on trials? (Now champs). Lets say the 4p© comes in to trials, does it run stock or with the mech skills (I mastered it)?

Nope. Won't apply to trial mechs.

#42 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

Oh, ok. That sorta sucks that trials don't get mech skills.

#43 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:07 AM

Indeed. But at least they still get full earnings and let you earn mech XP. They used to get a fraction of the cash and no XP.

#44 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

I'm a bit pissed at the amount of dcs in multiple games. Once, there were exactly 8 dcs both sides in one game. The remaining mechs were all Hunchbacks (including myself in a 4h) and the game ended very quickly (with all the dcd mechs destroyed). This has happened frequently and I have no idea what's causing this. Maybe PGI's idea of a new game mode, disconnecting everybody to make matches smaller? :P

#45 MoonDragn

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMonrovia, MD

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:13 AM

View Postchevy42083, on 19 September 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

quoted for truth.

I can't stand FPS... but I like MWO.

EDIT: Just stay out of the light mechs lol

I tried to play MWO yesterday, and man I was sick as a dog. I tried Assault mechs first but I was pretty much a sitting target unfamiliar with the controls and movement and got easily killed. After several matches I could actually hit something but still doing very little damage. I tried the lighter mechs and the motion/simulator sickness kicked in. I was feeling very ill by the end of the day and had to stop playing.

I don't see me going very far with this game unless I can get used to the motion sickness :)

PS. btw some jackass was telling me in game "That's what happens when you go off by yourself" when I got picked off. I was following the people in front of me, and I didn't realize they were scouting until it was too late. Then I got lost in the canyons and tried to get back to the main group but got flanked by multiples.

Also, it was very difficult to hit anything and see stuff around me til I realized I was in third person mode and figured out how to switch to first person. Wish you could bring up a list of commands while you are piloting.

Edited by MoonDragn, 23 September 2013 - 06:18 AM.

#46 Rina Fujimoto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSF

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostMoondragn, on 23 September 2013 - 06:13 AM, said:

I tried to play MWO yesterday, and man I was sick as a dog. I tried Assault mechs first but I was pretty much a sitting target unfamiliar with the controls and movement and got easily killed. After several matches I could actually hit something but still doing very little damage. I tried the lighter mechs and the motion/simulator sickness kicked in. I was feeling very ill by the end of the day and had to stop playing.

I don't see me going very far with this game unless I can get used to the motion sickness :P

PS. btw some jackass was telling me in game "That's what happens when you go off by yourself" when I got picked off. I was following the people in front of me, and I didn't realize they were scouting until it was too late. Then I got lost in the canyons and tried to get back to the main group but got flanked by multiples.

Also, it was very difficult to hit anything and see stuff around me til I realized I was in third person mode and figured out how to switch to first person. Wish you could bring up a list of commands while you are piloting.

Even if your aim improves you wont do much anyway since the trial mechs are god awful, they're normally even worse but PGI switched them out for the slightly better champion variants for launch. You might wanna try playing the Dragon though, it's pretty decent, the Jenner has useless small lasers weighing it down, the Centurion would normally be pretty ok but no one brawls anymore so it's terrible since it needs you to get within range of 12 enemy mechs, which for a medium = death, and the Atlas, well...I'm not even gonna get into that, it's technically ok but anyone in a fully kitted out Atlas is going to kill you. The Dragon itself has a nice ranged load out so you should do ok with it, just hang back and snipe with it. DON'T actually buy one though when you finally get all of your cadet bonus, it's a pretty mediocre mech and it would be really expensive to outfit a version like the champion variant.

And yes PGI in their infinite wisdom for some reason though third person view would help new players like you, it's awful, just go into your user settings and turn it off, turn off arm lock while you're at it, and the pedal throttle too.

If you want to get a better hang of the controls and movement, just drop into training grounds, I'm assuming you know how right? You can practice all you want in there, if you need to look at the controls just hit ESC and go into the settings menu and you can see them there, it may seem a little complicated at first but there aren't really many controls in this game honestly, it's like any other FPS, the only "complicated" controls would be when you use your power up/power down button but as a new player don't worry about that!

And yes, you generally should never follow lights on your team around, unless you're in a light yourself, they're going to run off to god knows where and leave you alone since they're faster, stick with the slow movers.

Uh, unfortunately I don't really have any suggestions for your motion sickness, I'm Japanese so I get motion sick from certain games too, try turning off motion blur? If that fails, lower all your settings down to low except for textures (the mechs will still look good and the game will barely look any different this way), that might help.

#47 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

You can bring up list of commands (press esc and then options). 3pv sucks in general, I originally really wanted it until I found out how much it sucks, and then figured out how to really play with 1pv. Much better to stick to 1pv. The guy that told you advice on not to go off yourself, make sure the mechs around you are around your size, don't follow something that goes extremely fast and small and your in something much bigger and slower. For right now, the Jenner is really fast, even I have trouble with it. The other few (Cent, Dragon, and Atlas) are much slower and two play as snipers so just barely move with those. The Cent requires flanking so maybe don't use it too often. How long were you playing by the time sickness kicked in? I hope you get used to the game, or you might be stuck playing the slowest assaults (not even Awesome or Victor, those can go up to the 80's and heroes to the 90's). Oh, and how much fps (press f9) do you have or maybe what graphics card you have? Maybe the hardware might not be good because before I attempted to play but couldn't hit much of anything and was super slow and not good at all. Lower all the settings too? Hope I helped! :P

Edit: Haruko: Trials are epic right now, I can murder plenty with them now. Dragon is the master in kill stealing (but has a giant CT), Centurion is the best of them all (very good at the low elos, but later might suck). Just use torso twist as much as possible, as I once got 8 kills with 18% left. Jenner is fast but I'm still sorta struggling with it. Atlas is a good missile boat and tank, but is outclassed all in all against other Assaults. The other two (Hunchie 4p laser boat, and Catapult missile boat); ones great and ones decent. They might be trials later. Also, no matter how good the trials seem, don't purchase the Dragon or Atlas because both are difficult to use (probably not Jenner either. Atlas is always targeted, so don't buy that.)

Edited by luxebo, 23 September 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#48 MoonDragn

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMonrovia, MD

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

I did much better yesterday, out of 5 matches I lived in all but two of them. I even killed a light mech on my last match, my first kill. Definitely getting the hang of it. I turned performance to low and went full screen windowed. That seem to help my motion sickness a bit.

I am a lot better with the training atlas now so I think I'll stick to that for a bit. I love the armor on it and except running into ppcs and LRMs it seem to live pretty long. Now that I have the radar on the first person mode I don't get blindsided either by flankers swarming me.

Edited by MoonDragn, 24 September 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#49 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

Nice! Oh and against flankers put the arms lock off so your arm weapons (mainly Jenner against faster and jumpy mechs, Dragon against everything, and Atlas against lights.) Remember as an Atlas, do some tanking of damage, but don't rush out there as people think Atlas as a higher priority of killing compared to Dragon, Cent, and Jenner. Since you might have some problems on the Jenner (I don't know about Cent being fast, not really imho.), stick to the heavier two/three and use as snipers for the heavier two, brawler as Cent. Good luck on the battlefield and your choice of mechs after your first 25 matches and see what you like!

#50 MoonDragn

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMonrovia, MD

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

Someone in a light mech took me down last night and then started bragging on how he did 1400 damage. Never mind that I was out of missiles and had already sustained a lot of damage. His first few hits took out most of my weapons so I had only 2 lasers left to hit him with, When I finaly got him where I can target him I had 1 medium laser left. Is there a way to self destruct on someone? that last laser was taken out and I had nothing left to hit him with til I died.

#51 Corison

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:21 AM

View Postluxebo, on 22 September 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

I'm a bit pissed at the amount of dcs in multiple games. Once, there were exactly 8 dcs both sides in one game. The remaining mechs were all Hunchbacks (including myself in a 4h) and the game ended very quickly (with all the dcd mechs destroyed). This has happened frequently and I have no idea what's causing this. Maybe PGI's idea of a new game mode, disconnecting everybody to make matches smaller? ;)

8 DCs is probably 2 4 man groups trying to sync drop... Twits. You will see this a LOT sometimes. If they don't drop on the same side, the twits just disconnect, switch mechs, and try again.

#52 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

View Postluxebo, on 24 September 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

Good luck on the battlefield and your choice of mechs after your first 25 matches and see what you like!

Hey Lux. Remember the lance / battlegrid command tutorial I said I'd make? Just finished filming it. Had two matches, one more cooperative than the other.

First one I got 8 damage in, but I spent most of my time explaining it as well as giving examples.

The second match I actively took command of the entire company and although only some followed the orders, I'd say we did rather well.
Posted Image

(Numpad 8 is my screenshot key btw.)

The video's going to be edited a bit later and uploaded tonight.

#53 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

I'll quote the original question you had about the lance system (so you'll get a notification with a link) and start it as a new thread for everyone to see in the new player thread.

View Postluxebo, on 22 September 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

I'm a bit pissed at the amount of dcs in multiple games. Once, there were exactly 8 dcs both sides in one game.

Don't know -- but this is the second time I seen it today. Screenshot taken this time. They were all simultaneous.
Posted Image

#54 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

View PostMoondragn, on 25 September 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

Someone in a light mech took me down last night and then started bragging on how he did 1400 damage. Never mind that I was out of missiles and had already sustained a lot of damage. His first few hits took out most of my weapons so I had only 2 lasers left to hit him with, When I finaly got him where I can target him I had 1 medium laser left. Is there a way to self destruct on someone? that last laser was taken out and I had nothing left to hit him with til I died.

Nope, no self destruct or splash damage yet. Maybe never.

View PostCorison, on 25 September 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

8 DCs is probably 2 4 man groups trying to sync drop... Twits. You will see this a LOT sometimes. If they don't drop on the same side, the twits just disconnect, switch mechs, and try again.

Maybe... It didn't seem like so.

View PostKoniving, on 26 September 2013 - 11:50 AM, said:

I'll quote the original question you had about the lance system (so you'll get a notification with a link) and start it as a new thread for everyone to see in the new player thread.

Don't know -- but this is the second time I seen it today. Screenshot taken this time. They were all simultaneous.

Okay, thanks Koniving! Great to see that you've fixed the bug! Thanks for the vid!

#55 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

View Postluxebo, on 26 September 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

Okay, thanks Koniving! Great to see that you've fixed the bug! Thanks for the vid!

The reinstall fixed it. Which btw I'll need to do a post on that too. If your user.cfg is not working, uninstall and reinstall completely. The repair kit isn't enough. (It fixed my battlemap bug but not the other issue; my field of view not registering). So that I redownloaded the game for.

Edited by Koniving, 26 September 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#56 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

Quick update: The CW announcement came, I recorded it. That's getting top priority. The vid with battlegrid will go up tomorrow morning.

#57 MoonDragn

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMonrovia, MD

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

Getting more used to this crappy training atlas. Still can't use the gauss rifle worth a damn but got a few more kills finally. Finally finished my cadet matches, need to decide what to get now. Only have 9 mil credits to spend on a new mech :)

#58 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

Firstly, the Atlas isn't crappy, but lacking compared to other assaults. Secondly, continue to use the trials, they're nice to use. Up to you on your first mech, I'm guessing no light/fast meds for your choice, maybe something Heavy or Assault. Create a thread on it somewhere in new player section if you haven't. Also Koniving, saw that CW announcement, can't wait!

#59 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

View PostMoondragn, on 26 September 2013 - 10:00 PM, said:

Getting more used to this crappy training atlas. Still can't use the gauss rifle worth a damn but got a few more kills finally. Finally finished my cadet matches, need to decide what to get now. Only have 9 mil credits to spend on a new mech :D

You'd be surprised. It's loadout could have been better. But here's some tips. First if you haven't already, click on the Atlas and go into the Testing Grounds. Not the Tutorials (although if you need to do that as well).

You can find it here in the upper right.
Posted Image

Once there, take a little bit of time to do the following.

Press ESC. Click Options. "Armlock" turn that off or uncheck it. This will allow you to make full use of the Atlas RS's best trait: arm mounted energy weapons. Chainfired you can make them constantly fire back to back (use backspace to toggle this after using the arrow keys to choose the weapon group they are assigned to). Group fired (backspace again or don't touch it), they heat you up a lot faster but you do more damage.

I should note this gives you TWO crosshairs! O_O The + is for your torso mounted weapons. Note that LRMs ignore this crosshair anyway so that doesn't matter. The second is the "o" crosshair. This is for your arms (and missile lockon) and can be controlled Precisely with the left CTRL key. You can lock it to dead center so long as you hold the Shift key for precision alpha strikes (fire everything at once).

The Gauss rifle requires a charge up. Hold the key, release when you hear the click. I recommend setting the Gauss Rifle to group 1 or group 2 to make this easier. The LRMs I use on group 3. R to target. Hold it on target, and click to fire.

This video is made for a completely different purpose but it uses an Atlas RS in my own awesome Standard heatsink rig, using exclusively large lasers (well 2 large, 2 ER large). The point though is to watch the two crosshairs. Just ignore the stuff at the end, it's protesting the need for Ghost Heat if the threshold kept what was used in almost every past Battletech and MWO game.

Speaking of Ghost Heat; when you make your own mech this is very important to know.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eapon_heatscale

Also important is this. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...peaks&m=assault It's maps. Note that a Grid Square is 500 meters squared. That's 500 left/right, and 500 up/down. Up is North on every map. In case if you're the sort that likes to study stuff.

Honestly I advise a Hunchback. For any with a Hunch, right torso armor 46 front, 2 rear. They're fun but they can be challenging. Greatest thing is they are Dirt Cheap to upgrade to maximum effectiveness.

Chase cam of me in a 4G Hunchback using very unconventional weapons. Vid by Lordred. 7 kills, 700+ damage.

This is a classic of chase cam, the very first one following a low-end build of a Founder's Atlas. Very limited ammo, very weak weapons. Well rounded armor allocation. Half of the conversation is not in the same match as me so aside from the Camera Commando, I'm really fighting this solo and uncoordinated from anyone else in the fight (as it rapidly boils down to just me, Lordred, and maybe one other teammate).

For more check out his channel.

I can offer other mech recommendations. I mean heck on the 15th I'll have 84 mechs and I've used at least one of all of them.

-----------

Lux. I'm editing that battlegrid tutorial now. I'm sort of disappointed I can't insert pictures how I wanted with this program though.

#60 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

Ah, I see. It's ok, I can't thank you enough for all the vids!

BTW, after launch party, I see a giant amount of Forest Colony popping up, while it's not bad compared to Terra and Tourm all the time (just really hot maps that aren't bad either, but boring after a while). Also, I see the launch party team's camo on trials now, which is nice and better than the older camos given (like stupid purples/pinks/etc and opposing colors of the map like black on Alpine.). The launch party was full of Forest Colony, so I'm guessing that was why it's largely played now. Are these both intended or coincidental?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users