Match Quality

30 replies to this topic

#1 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:56 AM

Its caused by not having a proper respawn gamemode. When you have one life gamemodes like this, all it takes is a few really bad players or disconnectors/afkers to completely screw the entire team over.

#2 superteds

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 02:57 AM

It's called snowballing, every game sans respawns 'suffers' from it.

and the game is fun.

#3 ColourfulConfetti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 430 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:04 AM

Experience boils down to,
A. one of the teams is capped out, little to no action, happens about 25% of the time, goes without saying these games are by far the most boring.
B. one team is grossly more skilled than the other, and one team has a larger concentration of newer players than the other, results in a curbstomp. Happens at least 45% of the time.
C. One team has far more tonnage then the other, often resulting in the above, happens nearly every game. Does not always mean a curbstomp, but does make it more likley
D. The game is well balanced, resulting with high casualties on both sides, usually is pretty enjoyable even when spectating. Happens 25% of the time.
E. The game is very close, and only 1-5 mechs remain on each side, usually the best game you'll ever experience even if your only spectating. Happens 5% of the time.

Edited by PalmaRoma, 15 September 2013 - 03:08 AM.

#4 SchwarzerPeter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:12 AM

Yes, there are matches in which one side gets completly overrun. But its often the players fault, they spread out to much and run one after each other in the enemy.

But the overall match quality has been getting better with 12vs12 in contrast to 8vs8. Although you have to relay on your team more. A single 4-5 killstreak can't turn the tide that easy any more. Which is the reason you see a complete humiliation so often, when there are 3-4 skilled players and a whole bunch of new players.

So stick to your team for the begining till you get the hang of the game,

Edited by SchwarzerPeter, 15 September 2013 - 03:20 AM.

#5 Caswallon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 540 posts
  • LocationArboris

Posted 15 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

hey DD I don't care if your English is bad please join up with a voice com Lance sometime and you will see a major improvement!

With one post I can see your probably new and the disorganised free for alls of new players as the Matchfixer system tries to find out what "level" their play is at is...
is...

"Taxing" lets go with that! The game can be epic fun once you get a bit of luck and experience but the entry experience is truly horrible.

#6 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:26 AM

But the overall match quality has been getting better with 12vs12 in contrast to 8vs8. Although you have to relay on your team more. A single 4-5 killstreak can't turn the tide that easy any more.

Sounds like its gotten worse to me. Now that one person matters less, it basically means youre at the mercy of your team. Because one person can no longer carry the entire team like they could in 8v8.

Having respawns, and a gamemode that actually focuses on an objective rather than just killing the other team would help because good players could still turn the game around for their team. It would add a comeback element to the game which is currently lacking.

Edited by Khobai, 15 September 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#7 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

i haven't really been that many pure stomps of the 0-2/12 nature lately. generally the outmatched team ends up with 3-5 kills in the matches i've seen and more end up being in the 6+/12 range. i must be in an Elo sweet spot or something maybe? only pure stomps have been with the one or two premades on one side none on the other matches.

#8 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:53 AM

Bads will be bad.

As others have pointed out, snowballing effect. WIth little to no communication in a drop, it happens easily.

#9 Tangelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 442 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

The match quality is fine. It is for me anyway albeit I still do see stomps either one way or the other but that is going to happen no matter how great the MM is. Changes are coming in regards to tonnage limits etc which will change things but I wouldn't expect an elimination of steamrolls. MW:O is not comprised of artificial AI but rather thinking opponents which makes any Match outcome unpredictable.

I think your problem is you started 2 days ago. It isn't the match quality that's the issue here, but rather the quality of your opponents experience vs yours.

It's not an insult, the learning curve the game has needs serious addressing because at the end of the day you are right in the sense that it should be fun from the first drop and all new players likely suffer a similar underwhelming experience.

Unfortunately at this time you and many others are stuck with "what it is" rather than "what we think should be". The only advice I can offer to help you is to check out the "New player Help" sub-Forum in the training grounds section. It's the first section you see when you load the forums page. Lots of good stuff in there to help new players.

#10 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

Another thread about why games don't end up 1v1.

#11 King Picollo

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

Play conquest, multiple points force mech movement, so rolling as a big group doesn't get you anywhere when you can get out capped easily.

Less likely to get snowballed.

#12 Rengakun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMalay Peninsula (Malaysia)

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

View PostDiamondDwarf, on 15 September 2013 - 10:14 AM, said:

- bad optimization (graphics card on fire, even in mechlab)

If a HD5450 can run the Mechlab at 27FPS without going above 60 degrees Celsius despite being overclocked, that is most definitely a problem on your side. PGI is very likely to optimize the game further, though.

#13 Johnny Reb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

Well either my elo went south or we have alot (good thing) new players on both teams. Talking pug, I won't take my lrm guys now, till Tuesday, as they either run away or just melt. In a 4 man at least I have backup but still have had to many matches where half the team does less than 100( more like less than 50).

#14 TANTE EMMA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 531 posts
  • LocationTANTE EMMAS LADEN

Posted 16 September 2013 - 05:14 AM

Since most of the quality teams and players stay away, I experience a decline in skill & tactics.

Players not even able to score triple digits, getting themselves blown apart because of bad positioning and so on. But always complaining about OP'd weapons...yeah, right. Of course it must be an OP weapon that made you lose, not your below mediocre playstyle, that must be it, of course !!!

#15 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:00 AM

View PostDiamondDwarf, on 15 September 2013 - 04:50 AM, said:

I played now after dinner for 2h.

All battles lost, enemy team loses 2-4 mechs. All Battles. Every match my team dies in 3 minuts.

Nice Game !!!!!!

I lost the majority of my matches for the first 2-3 weeks. Why? Cause seasoned players will always eat boots. A bad veteran player will beat new players due to knowing more of the mechanics. It is just how PvP is. Respawn in my eyes takes away the importance of playing wisely. Once I die, I did my part for my team, now it's up to them to carry the banner. As combat should be portrayed in a combat game.

#16 Iskareot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 433 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNW,IN

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

The one issue to resolve some of this is giving the choice of PUG vs PREMADE avoidance. Bottom line I jump in a drop only to see, "Hey we killed them last round lets do it again" -- "Premades are fun!"... Well of course they are because most of the time you have coms, cohesive team that has played rounds together, focus fire becomes an easy feat with calling things out "comms".. Not to mention knowing where your teammate is easier then looking away at a map. Granted it's only 4 at a time (Maybe) but it is a clear advantage over a pug drop team. If people can be given a choice to PUG or Premade up.. then I bet we would see alot different end results. As far as overall balance, I would think logically this would help. Nothing is more frustrating then dropping into a 2 or 3 - 4 man team driven group vs a pug. AND you can almost smell them.... Not really fun knowing you will lose for the most part 90% of the time if you go up against a bad premade even.

#17 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:19 AM

View PostKing Picollo, on 15 September 2013 - 07:19 AM, said:

Play conquest, multiple points force mech movement, so rolling as a big group doesn't get you anywhere when you can get out capped easily.

Less likely to get snowballed.

I agree, and I prefer Conquest to be honest. I just wish it didnt take 3 minutes to cap a point.

#18 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:24 AM

good matches still only last ~10min it's pathetic, there's no time to have a really good game, it's just round 1 *ding* round 1 *ding* round 1 *ding* ANNNND AT THE END OF ROUND 1 THE WINNER IS...! Round 1 *ding*....

#19 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

I played 104 games with a brand new mech this weekend. 48 wins to 56 losses (0.86 w/l). Personally I didn't do badly usually topping my teams score with a few kills and assists and damage between 300-600 on a loss (Usually 800+ on a win). However so very many people doing sub-100s or even 0 (most annoying when they live and did zero). I still seem to get guys on my team firing lrms at 40 meters or firing medium lasers at over 900 meters... I think I may have entered elo hell...

#20 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

View PostKhobai, on 15 September 2013 - 06:26 AM, said:

Sounds like its gotten worse to me. Now that one person matters less, it basically means youre at the mercy of your team. Because one person can no longer carry the entire team like they could in 8v8.

Having respawns, and a gamemode that actually focuses on an objective rather than just killing the other team would help because good players could still turn the game around for their team. It would add a comeback element to the game which is currently lacking.

That game mode you seek is called Conquest. LOL Just because no one plays it the way it is meant doesn't mean it can't be a FUN mode currently.

Respawn mode would not save the poor newb that runs off by themselves and gets killed first "every" game, they would just get killed "first" more times in a row while still leaving their team a man/gal down right off.

P.S. The OP states his time in WoT was the same, so he came here. Perhaps it isn't solely the Game but the game style/type, or lack of preparation that is causing his issues. :)

Edited by Almond Brown, 16 September 2013 - 07:38 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users