Metacritic: User Reviews Are Starting!

1251 replies to this topic

#1 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

So far, not the prettiest reviews, but it's pretty much what you would expect.

http://www.metacriti...hwarrior-online

[Redacted]

edit: IGP changed the title from: "Meta critic reviews are in" to "Meta critic reviews are starting"

Chill with the censoring Niko

Made my own review and gave 7/10

Edit #2: Already 401 reviews! Wow! MWO's community truly is passionnate about their game. PGI, take clues *********.

Number of meta critic reviews for MWO: 401
For War Thunder: 63
For WoT: 411 (since its release in 2011)
For Hawken: 70

Edited by Sybreed, 17 September 2013 - 08:38 PM.
Not Constructive

#2 KovarD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 473 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

Posted Image

Edited by KovarD, 17 September 2013 - 11:31 AM.

#3 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

I can see this going downhill very fast.

2 reasons:
1: new players are going to have a heck of a time navigating the learning cliff.
2: petty forum-ers are going to throw in vindictive low-ball scores where even good effects are just "ok" or "despite"s...

(A lesson in why you don't out-right **** off your forum base, and then **** on them afterwards.)

I'm abstaining from writing a review until I'm in a neutral mood.

#4 Dymlos2003

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

It just the vocal minority(savemwo) having a hissy fit.

#5 KovarD

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 473 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:39 AM

"Meh... They are just on a island."

Edited by KovarD, 17 September 2013 - 02:09 PM.

#6 Ransack

• 1,175 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

Ouch.

hell hath no fury like players scorned.

#7 Mackman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

"I venture to say that what is bad in the candid friend is simply that he is not candid. He is keeping something back—his own gloomy pleasure in saying unpleasant things. He has a secret desire to hurt, not merely to help. This is certainly, I think, what makes a certain sort of anti-patriot irritating to healthy citizens. ... there is an anti-patriot who honestly angers honest men, and the explanation of him is, I think, what I have suggested: he is the uncandid candid friend; the man who says, "I am sorry to say we are ruined," and is not sorry at all."
G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

I think this is especially appropriate here. All the "true Mechwarrior fans" are taking to Metacritic to, as Azantia above pointed out, exact "payback" against the devs of MWO. These people talk about how "disappointed" they are by the state of the game, and then go and make sure that the game never has a chance to get better. They talk about how excited they were to see where the game was going, and then they try to stop it in its tracks.

If you truly hate this game, then I'm sorry for you: I would advise you stop playing. If you enjoy this game, and want to see it succeed, then don't go and vent your anger at Metacritic. Don't open up that review box and think, "Now is the time for payback!"

Instead, think: "Judging the game on its own merits, how can I honestly review this free-to-play game to new people who will likely check here to see if it's worth playing?" Use the review to help MWO, not to kill it.

Edited by Mackman, 17 September 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#8 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

HAHA it really is... I just read the member names. Quite sad

#9 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:42 AM

View PostLivewyr, on 17 September 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

I can see this going downhill very fast.

2 reasons:
1: new players are going to have a heck of a time navigating the learning cliff.
2: petty forum-ers are going to throw in vindictive low-ball scores where even good effects are just "ok" or "despite"s...

(A lesson in why you don't out-right **** off your forum base, and then **** on them afterwards.)

I'm abstaining from writing a review until I'm in a neutral mood.

good points. I would have given a 7 to MWO if I had a meta critic account and a 2 to PGI/IGP if I had the possibility to separate the 2. Now, anyone checking meta critic before giving MWO a try is gonna see these negative reviews first hand and that's not good publicity. If PGI is depending on word to mouth to market MWO, they should have respected their core, "silent minority" community.

#10 Bacon_Warrior88

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

I say, give it good reviews....let the noobs join up and spend lots of $$$money$$$ We can slaughter them in the meantime and maybe PGI will spend that money on cool new features and shiny battlebots...just sayin

#11 Raghnall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

Keep an eye on the review scores from sites when they are released. 10/10 perfect game best FPS of the century!

I don't vote on metacritic because of idiots who rank a game the lowest possible. At least give it a justified score and list specifics for that score.

I do wonder if they will be anything like Rome 2 total war scoring...

Edited by Raghnall, 17 September 2013 - 11:45 AM.

#12 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostMackman, on 17 September 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

[/i]

I think this is especially appropriate here. All the "true Mechwarrior fans" are taking to Metacritic to, as Azantia above pointed out, exact "payback" against the devs of MWO. These people talk about how "disappointed" they are by the state of the game, and then go and make sure that the game never has a chance to get better. They talk about how excited they were to see where the game was going, and then they try to stop it in its tracks.

If you truly hate this game, then I'm sorry for you: I would advise you stop playing. If you enjoy this game, and want to see it succeed, then don't go and vent your anger at Metacritic. Don't open up that review box and think, "Now is the time for payback!"

Instead, think: "Judging the game on its own merits, how can I honestly review this free-to-play game to new people who will likely check here to see if it's worth playing?" Use the review to help MWO, not to kill it.

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned ..."

And as I had predicted, people have started poisoning the wells. How sad.

Edited by Mystere, 17 September 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#13 Rybald

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

My review would read.

"Good game, pity about the forum community."

#14 Vassago Legion

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Meh. Bunch of ragey douchebags. You know the kind of vile people that leave comments on everything? It is the same people that are giving the game zeros. The kind of people that threaten to kill CoD devs for tweaking the stats on their favorite weapon.

#15 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

It's why open betas are bad: LOLin' 733T D00dz want their seismic PPC boats, and streak easy buttons back, and if they can't have them, they'll scare off the rest of the customers.

12-man now means no 3pv, so what do they really have to carp about?

#16 Sybreed

• 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

View PostMackman, on 17 September 2013 - 11:41 AM, said:

[/i]

here's what you don't understand: Most founders don't give a {Scrap} about PGI, they give a {Scrap} about Mechwarrior and Battletech. They care because they feel their favorite IP is being butchered by a less than competent dev (until proven otherwise, I still give PGI the chance to redeem themselves) and no one can take over the project. The game is so far away from their vision of what a Mechwarrior game should be (and I believe most founders had a similar vision in mind, although not identical), that all they can feel is frustration because they have no control whatsoever on the development of the game, mostly because PGI simply doesn't listen even if we are right (see LB-X, MGs, PPCs, SSRMs... and I'd say ECM but PGI won't fix it). So, all they can do is vent their frustration, tell the world what is being done to their favorite IP.

It's a bit like having your pet dog sick to the point of dying. You'd rather end his miseries now then let it suffer a slow, miserable death.

Edited by Sybreed, 17 September 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#17 Vilheim

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 164 posts

For real? Reading those reviews, it sounds like people just wanna **** on this game simply because the developers pissed 'em off, not because the game is actually bad. That's hardly good reviewing. Sure, the dev's actions towards the community should factor in, but it's not the ONLY factor.

#18 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

Yeah, it really is very sad.. I wish this lesson had been taught to the developer of another game because I really want MWO to succeed (I love Btech and this is as close as it gets while being Real time)

Meta critic is one of the sites I use to investigate new games- and to see petty forum players just giving reviews to exact revenge is a little heart-breaking.. (if a little understandable given PGI's not-so-logical marginalization of their own forum players...)

#19 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

This is hilarious. And no, not in the "PGI getting what it deserves" category. Not even close. In the "My god, there are some crybabies out there" hilarious.

View PostRybald, on 17 September 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

My review would read.

"Good game, pity about the forum community."

No kidding.

#20 Anastasius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 472 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

lol @ manchildren hissy fits on the internet.

Pathetic my friends, yet at the same time entertaining watching grown men lact like spoiled 5 year olds.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users