Your worst moments in Battletech?

133 replies to this topic

#1 Fez Findie

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

Well, doesn't have to be ragequit types of stuff, just when you had bad luck and such. One time that happened to me was playin' Sword and Dragon with the Sorenson's Sabre's (my force) Recon Lance... and we ended up rolling 3 Grasshoppers. In a Recon mission with lots of canyons and him with the 3 jump capable heavy 'mechs in there waiting while maybe only one of my 'mechs could jump. Lost the whole group more or less. Managed to even things out in the next mission on my end.

#2 Xeno311

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:40 PM

My worst moment would have to be when I was doing mw4 mercs and was in a medium lance and had to take on 2 heavy lances we got massacred. Now I know when making a lance don't go in the same type use every kind of mech.

Also you might want too see what you're up against before choosing you lance. ;)

Edited by Xeno311, 14 June 2012 - 12:42 PM.

#3 Drogo-MA

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 44 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:43 PM

turn one headshot on my Nightsky from a Hollander gauss. my hatchet and pulse lasers didn't even get to fire once. it sucked.

#4 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

When playing the board game in the mid-late '90s, I had a friend named Trey, and what I hated was knowing how to play the board game in one way, and getting trounced because he played all Clan and did not use Clan honor to do it. I didn't blame him, then, because even I didn't understand much about Clan honor, then, but the tech he had, and the fact he was already a very good tactician without the tech, is what pissed me off the most.

I guess there was another time, as well, where I was playing at Orion Hobbies off State Street in Salt Lake City, Utah, and this was late '80s early '90s, I think, and I was 16, maybe, so '87, and the store owner had this 8' x 14' table in the back room, and other smaller tables, and he hosted his own little mini-con's before con's were really organized. Anyway, there was this old-timer, late '50s early '60s, I think, running around in a BattleMaster, and it was Lance on Lance. He came around the corner of a building, and a Phoenix Hawk jumped base-to-base with him and fired off it's Large Laser, hitting the BattleMaster in the head. It had already been hit twice in the game and we were only a few rounds into it, so the old man was pissed, and he hauled off and sucker-punched the kid -early '20s- in the puss, knocked him down, and then went to pummel the guy some more. As a 16-year-old standing too close to this, I was under the table like a shot, especially since I was on the same team with the P-Hawk pilot. My kids got a good laugh out of that story when I told it to them, and let them know how violent games COULD be way back when.

#5 Tsula

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 516 posts
  • LocationNew Alavon

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

Worse time for me was 1st time I played thou it was really bad for the people showing me how to play. Thunder Hawk and gauss rifle going up up gutting me, thou I did take down 3 mechs before I was taken down. 2 head shots and a Fafnir that was standing in water when I breached his left side. Got a nick name called Snip, but took them a long time to play with me again. Kind of made me feel bad being the new kid in the group but that aside. I have lost most of them now. that's what makes it the worse time for battletech.

#6 loganwolf

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

worst moment was when my assualt lance was defeated by a medium lance. my three atlas was head shotted

#7 Linkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 284 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

My worst moment was my first game online with MW3. I went in with my sweet (at least I thought) Thor build with dual PPCs and got smoked by a shadowcat that came racing up and hit me with what seemed like a thousand small lasers, haha. It was so fast I don't think I ever landed a hit on it. I vaguely recall a few legit matches, mostly with clan mates, but I recall even more rounds of light mechs sprinting around with as much engine as possible, and as many lasers as possible.

#8 Blackops074

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationStuttgart, Germany

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:54 PM

My worst day playing Battletech was on a con. I was piloting a P-hawk with a lance mate and he was in a P-hawk too. We got a recon mission! So we went out to recon and recon we did! To make a long story short we ran in to 2 scout lances 4 Jenner´s, 2 Spiders, 1 Valkyrie and a locust! Let´s just say it wasn´t funny at all!!! We had some off-board arty support but it didn´t help much. We called in reinforcements! But it was way too late for us!

#9 MacabreDerek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationManitoba

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

My worst moment has been since I started playing TT again about a month ago (3025 tech). Basicly it's gone beyond just getting beaten, first game was all light mechs, in which case I got charged to death repeatedly, second game my opponent couldnt roll anything lower than 8s, third game I finally got to use some mechs I wanted to play, started out as though luck was in my favour (Headshot, Critical x2, Both Sensors to shut down a Hunchback's firepower), which was pretty much the highlight of the games, then it was a matter of me getting pounded back into the ground.

It's getting frustrating to play TT when you know you're just a punching bag lol

#10 Greyjoy

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationWolcott - DC

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:06 AM

My worst day in Battletech was when my FLGS said that FASA was dead and they were shutting down our league!

#11 Belial

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

Having a Marauder that couldn't roll to save its life (literally), and it kept taking hits evenly to every location. Eventually, I had a 'Mech with just a little internal structure left on all body parts, no outer armor, and only a single large laser left. My opponent just couldn't seem to finish off any one particular part of my 'Mech, so it was both funny and humiliating.

#12 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:55 PM

I wouldn't think that would be humiliating, hehe... I would think that would be great. Who won?

#13 Flame

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

My worst moment would probably running my Blitzkrieg out well in front of the rest of my group--directly into firing range of roughly a Star of Clan 'Mechs, while unable to hit with my UAC20. To add insult to injury, the first shot that hit was an ER PPC to the head......

#14 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

In the league I play with, I was running recon with my Jenner JR7-F (the fact that it's an F is important) out in front of the rest of the recon company.

We had come across a trap, and everything went straight to Hell, but in the middle of this I was running around in a Jenner trying to chase down this tiny little hover APC that had shot my P-Hawk in the ***. In doing so I ran right into a hidden SRM carrier, with a 4 to-hit roll because of the hidden unit ****. 72 points of damage all over that poor thing, luckily it lived through it because of the F's extra armor. Took a crit to the upper leg actuator, had to retreat.

#15 DFDelta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:55 PM

One of the worst thing I've ever experienced in the TT was a campaign I played with 3 friends.
My command lances Stalker was shot down in every battle it participated in. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Even in the one battle we set up as a sure to win scenario for my side the Stalker went down.
(enemy ambush meant to inflict some damage before the final battle, so my side would attack with pre-inflicted damage but superior numbers)

By the end of the campaign it consisted of more salvaged parts then original ones, and it spent more time "inactive due to repairs" then out in the field...
I'm surprised the pilot survived all that.

#16 Jimmy the Tulip

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:39 PM

Port Arthur, Operation Bulldog
Defender: My Star Colonel in a Dire Wolf
Attacker: My friends Colonel in an Axman

We were engaged in a 1 on 1 duel. No fire had been exchanged due to the volatile nature of our surroundings. He won the initiative and we ended up on opposite sides of a fuel tank. He jumped into my forward arc - point blank. It was a massive risk. He had one chance or I would open up and decimate him. He didn't fire, just swung that god-awful axe..... Head. Critical to Cockpit. Game over without a single shot.

Hate physical weapons. lol!

Edited by Jimmy the Tulip, 21 June 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#17 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:44 PM

When TRO 3060 came out I fell in love with the Hauptmann - a Steiner assault Omni with no XL engine... it was so awesome. First time I took it out, I used the B config, with ultra AC/20, along with some other Mechs including a Blitzkrieg. Both of my ultra AC/s jammed on the first turn. The Hauptmann took a critical hit to the center torso with a lucky roll with something retarded like an LRM group that took out two Gyro criticals. It became completely worthless and half my force were combat ineffective at the very beginning of the game. Totally lost.

#18 Saevus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
  • LocationRight side of Upside down

Posted 21 June 2012 - 02:48 PM

The centerpiece of my personal lance for campaigns with my TT group is a Highlander. It's always been my "personal" mech and under the rules we play under (pre-3039) it's a rare and powerful machine. (though my lance does have an Urbanmech in it to balance out my points) First turn of a long-campaign, I go to engage an enemy mech, run across loose rocks, fail the pilot check, fall off a cliff, blow out both my legs and one arm, leaving me prone and with all my avaiable weapons pinned....until an enemy flea comes along and spends the next 147 turns killing me with machine guns. (May have been fewer turns, I don't remember how long it took me to die, each firing phase I would hurl a new insult over my loudspeakers at him)

#19 CarpeMortis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationFar out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:36 PM

5 mech free-for-all in the Colosseum using many of the optional rules. A Juggernaut JG-R9T1, Berserker BRZ-A3, Sasquatch SQS-TH-002, Atlas AS7-D, and my Great Turtle GRT-1... First round, the Juggy fires at me and misses with every thing but a single small pulse laser...

And got a floating critical hit to my cockpit!!!

#20 ChargerIIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 490 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

The first game of battletech I ever played with friends I had studiously read the rulebook and had generated a custom clan tank that mounted 4 AC/20s. It was heavily armored and I was certain it would get at least one kill. We set up a melee match with assaults and decided to place a small scorpion artillery unit in a corner that would target a random player (via die roll) and attempt to hit them for the measly 5 damage that arty gun was capable of. It was a fun feature I thought.

First turn was all movement and I was happily advancing towards a Zues that was failing to maintain safe distance when the arty fired. It targeted me but only scored an indirect hit - 2 damage. Not even a scratch on the paint for an assault class tank.

Except CBT had this little rule about critical hits on vehicles. The indirect damage attack was a perfect roll so we had to start rolling the critical damage table.

That little piece of shrapnel apparently entered a vent, bypassed several tons of armor and ricocheted - killing the entire crew and leaving my 100 ton beast lying unusable with the keys in the ignition.

Damnit.

The next round I was in a Goliath and got headshotted by a Gauss rifle in the second round....

Things picked up after that but geez. Apparently the dice did not like me that day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users