Why Not The Thunderbolt Tdr-7Se?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Dorado

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern U.S.

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

Why are we not getting the Thunderbolt TDR-7SE chassis?

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Thunderbolt

TDR-7SE - The 7SE takes the upgrade of the Thunderbolt even further. The structure has been redesigned to use an Endo Steel structure. The 'Mech also uses Ferro-Fibrous armor and double heat sinks to further save weight. The saved weight has been used to focus the role of the 7SE into a long range 'Mech. The 'Mechs maneuverability has been enhanced with a jumping distance of one hundred and twenty meters. The Thunderbolts weapons have been completely overhauled. The primary weapon is a Gauss Rifle. This is backed up by three Medium Pulse Lasers in the torso with a fourth mounted on the left arm and, finally, the 7SE carries a Guardian ECM Suite to protect against advanced enemy electronics.

As far as I can tell, this mech does not have any technology on it that would not be supported by current equipment already in use.

The reason why I ask is because this is one of the few chassis that list on Sarna as coming with an ECM module. PGI has not released a mech in a long time that has ECM and it would seem that only chassis that say they include it are even considered.

So why not this chassis? Will we see this chassis after phoenix package is unlocked? This variant really needs to be added to the list of Thunderbolts in the game. A heavy chassis that is configured to be a gauss sniper with jump jets and ECM. This is a must have variant in my opinion.

With this variant added, each weight class would now have an ECM capable chassis in it.

#2 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

ECM MODULE! yes, I'd love to have this variant if it has ECM! :rolleyes:

#3 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

It's not going to be released because of the ECM module. So the very reason you want it is the exact reason PGI isn't going to include it.

And while I don't know what year the TDR-7SE came out, it is not in Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged. Instead, Sarna lists it in Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged. Of course, the TDR-9SE is also in 3085 Unabridged and that is suppose to be one of the standard variants. Not sure if that is a typo and if it is suppose to be the TDR-5SE which is in 3039 Unabridged along with the TDR-5S and TDR-5SS.

#4 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

ECM is op- it's a 100% missile blocker without any good counters. Until it's re-done, no more ECM mechs please.

#5 Dorado

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostFarix, on 18 September 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

It's not going to be released because of the ECM module. So the very reason you want it is the exact reason PGI isn't going to include it.

Actually I primarily posted this request so that all weight classes would have access to ECM. If I had the TDR-7SE variant I wouldn't be using it as a gauss sniper. I suck at sniping. :(

View PostFarix, on 18 September 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

And while I don't know what year the TDR-7SE came out, it is not in Record Sheets: 3039 Unabridged. Instead, Sarna lists it in Record Sheets: 3085 Unabridged. Of course, the TDR-9SE is also in 3085 Unabridged and that is suppose to be one of the standard variants. Not sure if that is a typo and if it is suppose to be the TDR-5SE which is in 3039 Unabridged along with the TDR-5S and TDR-5SS.

Hmmm... wish I had access to the technical readouts (if the variant is in them) to figure out a manufacture date. Thanks for the info though.

View PostRandomLurker, on 18 September 2013 - 01:49 PM, said:

ECM is op- it's a 100% missile blocker without any good counters. Until it's re-done, no more ECM mechs please.

I disagree. A PPC hit, TAG, or another ECM will counter. Besides, if you are a dedicated lock-on missile boat you should be carrying TAG anyways.

#6 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

View PostDorado, on 18 September 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

Why are we not getting the Thunderbolt TDR-7SE chassis?

Because the TDR-7SE doesn't exist in the BattleTech universe until 3067?

Edited by Strum Wealh, 19 September 2013 - 03:28 PM.

#7 Grey Ghost

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 661 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 03:32 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 19 September 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Fixed your link. Oh you caught it. I should have reloaded before posting.

Edited by Grey Ghost, 19 September 2013 - 03:36 PM.

#8 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostDorado, on 19 September 2013 - 02:20 PM, said:

I disagree. A PPC hit, TAG, or another ECM will counter. Besides, if you are a dedicated lock-on missile boat you should be carrying TAG anyways.

ECM has perfect missile protection, denies information to the enemy about your location, and denies information about your mech and damage. It does all this for your entire group. It does too many things, too well, and remains fully effective from too far way.

Tag requires continuous LOS, and doesn't counter all of it's effects.

PPC hit only lasts four seconds and requires landing a hit. Can't be sustained due to heat.

Narc gets shot off the mech when the first missiles hit it.

BAP/Counter ECM only work when they get in range of the source mech- ie, instant death range. They do nothing to help scouts get information about the enemy position and relay it to their team, which SHOULD be the way to counter ECM. (Make ECM targets show up on the map to ppl with a BAP is all I'm asking).

So, yeah. There are counters, but they suck, and countering the information denial ability is impossible unless the enemy is stupid and wander out from their ECM cover. As I said, no more ECM mechs until ECM is fixed. Or it's counters are balanced better (BAP I'm looking at you).

#9 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 19 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

Looks interesting enough, why not?

Also, I read the Thunderbolt nomenclature as TL;DR for some reason.

#10 Dorado

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 05:59 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 19 September 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Awe snap. Well that settles that then I guess. Too bad. Thanks for the info Strum.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users