When Did Heat Vision Become Monochrome?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Recon777

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 84 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

Just joined the game less than a week ago. Now, watching some older Youtube videos I see heat vision looked much better in the past. When and why was this changed to a monochrome look?

#2 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:10 AM

That was the previous game called ThermalWarrior Online. It was changed because the world was a purple drink flavored nightmare.

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 19 September 2013 - 06:10 AM.

#3 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:34 AM

Vision modes were being reworked back in March. I think we saw them come live in April/May?
Here's the Command Chair post from Matthew Craig discussing their idea behind it all.
http://mwomercs.com/...d-vision-modes/

While the old version might have looked better, there was an inherant problem people being able to see people miles away, and being able to snipe them. There was no reason NOT to use thermal vision, and it became something that you saw too often. There was no point in using nightvision, as it was very contrasty and bright. Now it's a lot better, same with heat vision. The Thermal Vision that you say back then was also the default cryengine thermals, and pretty sure people started referring it to Predator Vision, from the movies.

Anyways, in the end, it was basically just over used, wasn't an original vision style (not something MWO made), and night vision needed to be reworked as well.

#4 Skunk Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

You forgot that it made sniping super easy because you could see a mech from across the map with it.

#5 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:43 AM

View PostSkunk Wolf, on 19 September 2013 - 06:36 AM, said:

You forgot that it made sniping super easy because you could see a mech from across the map with it.

Well... not really.
In my first sentence of the paragraph after the link...

While the old version might have looked better, there was an inherant problem people being able to see people miles away, and being able to snipe them.

Edit: But yes, you are right, it made it VERY easy to snipe. Like.. once you got familiar with the shape, you can get head shots from the other side of river city.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 19 September 2013 - 06:48 AM.

#6 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:15 AM

View PostRecon777, on 19 September 2013 - 06:01 AM, said:

Just joined the game less than a week ago. Now, watching some older Youtube videos I see heat vision looked much better in the past. When and why was this changed to a monochrome look?

PGI sometimes does things without a good reason . I used "Predator" vision all the time but the new one dosen't even need to exist .

Collisions were very cool in this game . Some babys started to complain because they got disorianted and they removed them completly . Youll get use to it

Edited by MadCat02, 19 September 2013 - 07:16 AM.

#7 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:56 AM

View PostMadCat02, on 19 September 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

PGI sometimes does things without a good reason .

While that's true for the most part, there was an extremely good reason for the change in thermal; it was stupidly overpowered.

Thermal was superior to every other visual mode on pretty much every map. That's all people would use because it allowed players to see mechs all the way across the map, regardless of weather or environmental conditions. It needed to change.

#8 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

View PostMadCat02, on 19 September 2013 - 07:15 AM, said:

Collisions were very cool in this game . Some babys started to complain because they got disorianted and they removed them completly.

It was cool, but it wasn't removed because of that, it was removed because it was broken. Your mech would lag warp around while on the ground because the net code couldn't decide where you actually should be from moment to moment. I certainly hope we see it next year at the latest!

#9 Recon777

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 84 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 20 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

Well I can certainly understand reducing the range in heat vision, but that doesn't explain why its monochrome. Should still be "predator" vision but limit the range to the same as it is now.

#10 Risko Vinsheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 573 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

View PostRecon777, on 20 September 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

Well I can certainly understand reducing the range in heat vision, but that doesn't explain why its monochrome. Should still be "predator" vision but limit the range to the same as it is now.

Current thermal vision works perfectly fine for its intended purpose and is balanced between normal vision and night vision. Each view mode is situational aside from normal, which is used more often than both other modes, as it should be.

#11 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:59 PM

View PostRecon777, on 20 September 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

The monochromatic thermal is closer to military-grade thermal. The "predator" style multi-colored thermal is more common in commercial use, like what you'd see on Ghost Hunters or something.

This is what they based the new thermal on:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users