Devs Might Want To Reconsider Some Decisions?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Thecure

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 200 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:49 AM

When they started making this game, they decided they wanted to make mechs fully customizable, so they implemented the weapon system we now have. That allowed for boating. Now boating is not necessarily bad, but can lead to some OP builds and cause problems with weapon balancing. A single PPC can be well balanced but 6 of them are OP. I've read about the idea of weapon slot sizes that could be the answer to the above problem. Big energy slot can hold PPC/ERLL, medium can hold LL/LPL and so on.
Next thing they decided is that they did not want cone of fire. That decision agrees with me but I believe they needed to take one more step. They needed to decide how much alpha pinpoint damage was acceptable. Is 40 ok? Should it be less? Let's say for arguments sake that 30 is a good number. That would mean I can fire 3 PPCs together but my fourth would automatically go in chain fire mode. I can fire an AC20 with a PPC or a LL but not 2 AC20s together.
Solutions like those could take away some of our freedom, but could lead to better overall results. And though they might conflict with some lore builds, following the lore is not carved in stone as it is now. I would like to hear the downside to the above suggestions and if possible a devs insight(not necessarily in this thread). I realize that things like that would mean a lot of work for the devs, but to be honest I can't visualize a rosy future with features like ghost heat.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

They're not gonna reconsider, for better or for worse.

/Thread.

#3 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:30 AM

Nor should they really. This "Ghost Heat" thing is to prevent "Alpha Strikes" It does that great. When was the last time you thought that firing 6 PPC's all at the same time was a good idea?

Put as many, of whatever type of weapon, you want, on any Mech that can handle them. No rule against that that I have read about. Then it is on the Pilot to deal with the consequences of what happens based on how many that Pilot fires all at once. Is that not the way it should be?

#4 Thecure

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 200 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:38 AM

I'm pretty sure some awesome variant is supposed to handle 3 PPC. Can it really?

*Edit*
Last time I used 6 PPCs was when the Ravens' hitboxes were all messed up. Boy did I get a few of them raging. I personaly think it would be apropreate with spiders too.

Edited by Thecure, 19 September 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#5 SirLANsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:41 AM

Ghost heat was a good system, but they applied it to EVERY weapon in the game (well almost). They went overboard with it when it only needed to be applied to certain energy weapons which were causing issues.

Missile boats? Ya its not like they have enough trouble as it is just RUNNING the mech, you sacrifice sooooo much to be an LRM boat. Speed/Minimum Range/AMS/General Terrain and ammo are all things that an LRM mech has to deal with, Heat was one thing that didn't need to be on that list.

#6 Cycleboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:47 AM

View PostSirLANsalot, on 19 September 2013 - 10:41 AM, said:

Missile boats? Ya its not like they have enough trouble as it is just RUNNING the mech, you sacrifice sooooo much to be an LRM boat. Speed/Minimum Range/AMS/General Terrain and ammo are all things that an LRM mech has to deal with, Heat was one thing that didn't need to be on that list.

Although LRMageddon sucked, you forgot ECM... mother f-ing ECM. The totally "you can't hit me at all, for any reason, without lots of other things used... close scout with BAP, TAG in the face for whole duration, etc, etc, plus more etc".

#7 Statixstorm

• PipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

I personally would like proper weapon grouping options, it would help cut down on alpha strikes.

Chain Fire is great, but I'd like to see Group Fire become an option again, I want to be able to easily salvo my weapon "groups" without having to have 5 different mouse buttons on the go.

#8 Hythos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • LocationLOS ANGELES, er, I mean Dustball

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostCycleboy, on 19 September 2013 - 10:47 AM, said:

Although LRMageddon sucked, you forgot ECM... mother f-ing ECM. The totally "you can't hit me at all, for any reason, without lots of other things used... close scout with BAP, TAG in the face for whole duration, etc, etc, plus more etc".

Dumb-fire LRM's still works. Now, if you could only target one of your own team (say, a Spider, or Jenner) then have them run and hide behind an enemy unit... that would be perfect revenge!

#9 Cycleboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostHythos, on 19 September 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

Dumb-fire LRM's still works. Now, if you could only target one of your own team (say, a Spider, or Jenner) then have them run and hide behind an enemy unit... that would be perfect revenge!

True, but a Raven standing at 300m, dancing around going "nah, nah, na-boo-boo!" because you can't even get a target reticle to pop around him... come on... And, yes, I have dumb-fired that guy and spooked him, but it's still ridiculous.

I think you have hit on the most AWESOME idea ever for long range in-direct... target speedster... launch... time the run around the hill into the enemy grouping, dragging all the LRMs with you. If you don't run fast enough... you are toast. Risk/reward/skill... sounds good!

#10 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Might.

Won't.

#11 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:52 AM

Customized builds isn't really the problem, high heat caps with no penalties and reduced heat dissipation is. Keeping cool should mean something in MW, but it just doesn't mean anything more than 'oops, shutdown again!'.

Now I have no expectation that they will ever change that, but it is the core of the 'alpha' (ie groupfired weapons) issue.

#12 Cest7

• Philanthropist
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationMaple Ditch

Posted 19 September 2013 - 11:59 AM

Just gonna leave this here....

http://mwomercs.com/...-3-role-warfare

#13 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 19 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

View PostFupDup, on 19 September 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

They're not gonna reconsider, for better or for worse.

/Thread.

At this rate our "Island" is about to grow so large we can start calling it a country.

Edited by Victor Morson, 19 September 2013 - 12:37 PM.

#14 3rdworld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 19 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

They wanted fully customizable mechs, so they put in the current hardpoing syste.(limits on mech customization.)

wat

Edited by 3rdworld, 19 September 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#15 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 19 September 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

Nor should they really. This "Ghost Heat" thing is to prevent "Alpha Strikes" It does that great. When was the last time you thought that firing 6 PPC's all at the same time was a good idea?

Put as many, of whatever type of weapon, you want, on any Mech that can handle them. No rule against that that I have read about. Then it is on the Pilot to deal with the consequences of what happens based on how many that Pilot fires all at once. Is that not the way it should be?

Firing 6 PPCs at the same time was never viable at only 8 heat per PPC, and at 10 heat per PPC it would be even worse. Even just equipping 6 PPCs at the same time on a Stalker requires waaaay too many sacrifices, such as stripping armor and/or using XL/small engines. The 6 PPC Stalker is an over-hyped lie and people need to stop mentioning it once and for all.

On the subject of preventing alpha striking, ghost heat does no such thing. It only limits alpha strikes from BOATS. Mixed builds still fire everything all at the same time as much as they always have because dealing damage to one spot in a short amount of time is still the most advantageous way to play the game. Ghost heat has nothing to do with limiting pinpoint damage--it's only a crusade against boats and people who have the audacity to dare equip more than three (or fewer) of the same weapon on their mech. If you want to actual alpha striking and not just crusade against boats, there are tons of heat and convergence suggestions floating around that ought to be tested.

Edited by FupDup, 19 September 2013 - 06:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users