I've Got An Idea That Could Make Pgi Remove 3Rd Person (Lulz)

7 replies to this topic

#1 Sybreed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,199 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 19 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

You see in your HUD the little paperdoll mech to the lower left?

What if... and I know I'm asking for freaking magic here, what if you could press a button that would give, instead of that paperdoll, a bird eye view of your mech so you know the position of your torso in relation to your legs? You could even add an arrow which points where your legs are going! (I wonder where I got that idea...)

TADA! You're now able to figure out where your legs are at without using 3rd person and there's no more camera view cheating. Even the noobest of noobs would get this.

There, I just saved PGI from a massive rage outburst. Eh.

#2 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

Ya,just like the target animation box in MW3. Good idea, 10/10.

#3 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

That's a cool idea.

But it's too late; the damage is done...and PGI are going to be too stubborn about the idea of changing it since they wasted so much time trying to implement playable 3PV already. Also, they don't feel it gives any discernable advantage...which is true for most players.

#4 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 19 September 2013 - 07:23 PM

View PostRyokens leap, on 19 September 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

Ya,just like the target animation box in MW3. Good idea, 10/10.

Or in MechWarrior2, or 4...

#5 Taemien

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

View PostSybreed, on 19 September 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

You see in your HUD the little paperdoll mech to the lower left?

What if... and I know I'm asking for freaking magic here, what if you could press a button that would give, instead of that paperdoll, a bird eye view of your mech so you know the position of your torso in relation to your legs? You could even add an arrow which points where your legs are going! (I wonder where I got that idea...)

TADA! You're now able to figure out where your legs are at without using 3rd person and there's no more camera view cheating. Even the noobest of noobs would get this.

There, I just saved PGI from a massive rage outburst. Eh.

Nice idea in theory.. and like others have said, MW3 did this.

Why doesn't MWO do it? Same reason MWLL didn't. CryEngine doesn't allow it. Well.. it does, but it means the environment and its actors have to be rendered twice. Most players wouldn't be able to use this feature without seeing massive framerate losses. Its also why we don't have multiple cameras and why PiP Zoom looks like {Scrap}.

This is why they chose to use 3PV to fix that particular new player issue rather than other suggestions requiring rendering.

#6 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 01:13 AM

lolwut cryengine?
cryengine is not capable to display a lowpoly model that looks a bit like the mech i'm driving?

Sorry but that's BS. There's a little catapult in one of my cockpits, high detailed and textured and that doesn't change my framerate if I look at it.

Nobody want's the 3rd person in a little window (which means render twice), just show the mech with a black/gray background and let it take the same position as your mech. Would be enough.

Problem is, i don't believe this 3PV is only implemented for newbies to learn the game. In that case, it would be enough to make it tutorial only. I think this is more to change the game form sim to arcade a bit, to open up the target audience. And if that's the case, nothing will change their mind...

#7 Taemien

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 September 2013 - 07:53 AM

View Post627, on 20 September 2013 - 01:13 AM, said:

lolwut cryengine?
cryengine is not capable to display a lowpoly model that looks a bit like the mech i'm driving?

Sorry but that's BS. There's a little catapult in one of my cockpits, high detailed and textured and that doesn't change my framerate if I look at it.

Nobody want's the 3rd person in a little window (which means render twice), just show the mech with a black/gray background and let it take the same position as your mech. Would be enough.

Problem is, i don't believe this 3PV is only implemented for newbies to learn the game. In that case, it would be enough to make it tutorial only. I think this is more to change the game form sim to arcade a bit, to open up the target audience. And if that's the case, nothing will change their mind...

Look up on how to do something like that in CryEngine, or attempt something similar in a small mod. Stuff like that is incredibly hard to pull off without taking performance hits. As someone from MWLL said, it makes hard things easier to pull off, but easy things incredibly hard or impossible in some circumstances.

As for a low poly model.. those have to be made. You don't just select "low poly version" in a drop down menu. Well you can, but you had to create it first. And it still has to be rendered and for what the OP was suggesting, it has to be near identical, if not the same model as the regular mech model.

What you're suggesting is something different. I would daresay whats the point? What you want is already rendered in the flash hud. Its not a mech, but its a low quality (in comparison to a 3d model) display of how far you twisted.

#8 ShotgunWillie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 10:44 AM

You realize this feature is not only already in the game, but doesn't even require you to press a button to get it, right?

Next time you're in game in first person view, take a look at your mini-map. See that arrow in the middle of it? That's you, and the direction your legs are pointing. See that long arrow extending away from it? That's the direction your torso is pointing. See the lines that are canted about 45 degrees off of that long arrow? That's your field of view.

Crazy, right?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users