Centurion Fight Pit

49 replies to this topic

#1 Rakona

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 20 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

I know many of us Cent pilots tend to get tunnel vision when we see another Cent out there, and our one goal in life is the death of the other at all costs. I've won some, lost some, died to a pretty little grape cage called 'the other team' a lot, but I can't help it. It's gotta happen. In light of that, here are the Cent build's I'm currently using, constructive input is welcome, along with any color patterns (grey's anybody?) and camo to better hide my mech while while my big red atlas lance mate walks up to them to say hi, and I teach them that Centurions give the best reach arounds.

CN9-A - my best mech. 5 kills, 600 dmg games happen in this guy if played right.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7b95c7a784cbfec

CN9-AL - my favorite, but not my best one to pilot, still trying to find 'my' build I like best (edit: swap out srms/HS/ML for er ppc or LPL build as needed)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9378d0cc5512afb

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...cbe47b88eb0e7bd

CN9-D - haven't used this one much since the gauss change.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b498b7db850a672

Thank you, and I was serious about the camo, while I know it won't help much at all, if I can break up my outline inside that red box, it might make my skinny butt a smidge harder to hit.

Edited by Rakona, 20 September 2013 - 01:45 PM.

#2 Para B

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:28 AM

This is probably my favourite Centurion build, been doing well with it for a very long time:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f98f686c414e3c6

#3 Muffinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 447 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 02:38 AM

View PostRakona, on 20 September 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

I know many of us Cent pilots tend to get tunnel vision when we see another Cent out there, and our one goal in life is the death of the other at all costs. I've won some, lost some, died to a pretty little grape cage called 'the other team' a lot, but I can't help it. It's gotta happen. In light of that, here are the Cent build's I'm currently using, constructive input is welcome, along with any color patterns (grey's anybody?) and camo to better hide my mech while while my big red atlas lance mate walks up to them to say hi, and I teach them that Centurions give the best reach arounds.

CN9-A - my best mech. 5 kills, 600 dmg games happen in this guy if played right.

Thank you, and I was serious about the camo, while I know it won't help much at all, if I can break up my outline inside that red box, it might make my skinny butt a smidge harder to hit.

I like your A build, might give that a go. I usually run my cent A in the more standard 3xsrm6 2ml with a std275 but sometimes I feel like it needs a bit more range. Does it go fast enough with the 225?

As for camo my A is in Phranken, black with white bones. I prefer to announce to the world that I'm going to crush them than to blend into the background ;)

#4 Rakona

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

View PostPara B, on 21 September 2013 - 02:28 AM, said:

This is probably my favourite Centurion build, been doing well with it for a very long time:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f98f686c414e3c6

I like the heat levels you have on that one, that's for sure. In my experience I have not felt the streaks were very effective, which is why I go with the SRM 4, but I can't argue with you for their defense capabilities vs lights. I've found it very rare that my arm stays on past 50 or 75 shots , so I save that tonnage for a heavier weapons payload. Solid build though.

#5 Rakona

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostMuffinator, on 21 September 2013 - 02:38 AM, said:

I like your A build, might give that a go. I usually run my cent A in the more standard 3xsrm6 2ml with a std275 but sometimes I feel like it needs a bit more range. Does it go fast enough with the 225?

As for camo my A is in Phranken, black with white bones. I prefer to announce to the world that I'm going to crush them than to blend into the background :P

The range is very nice for tagging early in a match, since the UAC 5 will still hit out to 1800. I think that it is the perfect speed for a Cent, right at 80 kph, which puts it at a 5/8 table top speed. It's as slow as I would dare to go though. Still fast enough to get behind the fatties, and provide late coming support to light mechs. I use the 230 in my AL though I would mind dropping to a 225 for another heat sink. In a good match I put up 500 dmg and 4-6 kills, which I think us amazing for a centurion. I do like the pattern you mentioned, but I went with the camo greys, dark, ash and light in an effort to blend in with as much terrain as possible. I feel (totally anecdotal) that it has help a bit as I'm helping people miss that ever important arm, as its just a little bit harder to pick out against the right background. I know that some say to avoid the ballistic in the right arm, but I don't choose to play that way. 4 kill games with 500ish damage support my thinking a bit, but I know it may not be the min/max build of choice.

I just converted my D to a double AC2 (replaced the gauss only on the build above) tonight, and it was fun ripping the torso off an Atlas that thought I wasn't a threat from 1500 m out. Dumb guy just sat there firing at other people while I lit him up. It's really nice with advanced zoom reaching out to somebody 2k away.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3a12013104bed3b

All in all, I prefer my Cents over all else right now, and maybe with impending weight limits a good Cent pilot will be a sought after thing, who knows.

Edited by Rakona, 23 September 2013 - 06:08 AM.

#6 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Here's my very Grey CN9-D:

Posted Image

And here's my CN9-AL with some red and black mixed in:

Posted Image

And here's my trusty CN9-A in it's very non-gray camo:

Posted Image

And in a few month's time it'll be time to dust off old Cent-A Claus:

Posted Image

Enjoy :)

#7 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

I love Cent-A-Claus's beard.

#8 Rakona

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

Ok, Cent-A-Claus almost made me lose my **** at work, that's awesome mang, well done! I do like your darker patterns, and I know want to pick up battleship grey soon, as some of these just look too light.
CN9-A
Posted Image
CN9-AL
Posted Image
CN9-D
Posted Image

I've tried to keep the colors muted, with as little flash as I could tolerate in an effort to 'blend' >.> While mostly useless now, when we know where we're dropping, it might be quite handy to gain just that little bit.

#9 Lootee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:19 PM

This one is pretty funny CN9-D. I used to run the CN9-D with a gauss + 2 medium lasers like yours, but this one gives much better results and is entertaining to drive too.

People aren't sure what you're trying to do when they see you or how to react. They end up shooting at your arms which are just shields, try to run away (but they usually can't outrun you in time), or spin in circles trying to track you as you face hump them and launch SRMs point blank into them.

The CN9-A I run is pretty much just like the Champion mech, except with 3 x SRM6 and a large laser in the CT instead of pulse lasers. Gives you a bit more reach in those games where the enemy won't move up. Could stick an ER large laser in there too if you need even more range, but the regular laser runs cooler when face hugging the enemy.

Edited by PanchoTortilla, 24 September 2013 - 12:39 PM.

#10 Rakona

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

View PostPanchoTortilla, on 24 September 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

This one is pretty funny CN9-D. I used to run the CN9-D with a gauss + 2 medium lasers like yours, but this one gives much better results and is entertaining to drive too.

People aren't sure what you're trying to do when they see you or how to react. They end up shooting at your arms which are just shields, try to run away (but they usually can't outrun you in time), or spin in circles trying to track you as you face hump them and launch SRMs point blank into them.

The CN9-A I run is pretty much just like the Champion mech, except with 3 x SRM6 and a large laser in the CT instead of pulse lasers. Gives you a bit more reach in those games where the enemy won't move up. Could stick an ER large laser in there too if you need even more range, but the regular laser runs cooler when face hugging the enemy.

I switched my CN9-D to a dual AC2 build and got 800 dmg in a recent match, lots of fun. I do think the build you posted would be fun to play, 'oh, hey, i have full armor on the important bits and im shoving the other bits where the sun don't shine when you're not looking'. Nice variant there mang, while I do disagree with the spirit of the build, I can't argue it's effectiveness.

#11 Rakona

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 September 2013 - 07:50 PM

So I'm kinda bumping as a thread for people that pilot Cents over all, and I just wanted to share what just happened in a game. Was watching this Atlas's back, Light Raptor, we hit a snag on Mordor at theta, an atlas, jäger, and awesome were blocking the path of four of us by playing peek a boo on that bridge. So I say in team chat that I'm going to charge and turn them. I mean, it's what Centurions were made for in a kind of way. I charged, and all three were so caught off guard, they barely landed a hit on me. They all turned to shoot the rabid centurion that seemed to court certain death. The remainder if my lance followed a second later, and blew them all to hell, with me barely taking a scrape in my paint. Moral of the story? When applied correctly, Centurion charge best charge! :)

I think that's one if the wonderful things about Centturions, fast enough to make an interesting target, tough enough to live through it.

#12 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

I usually like to come up from the side entrance to the lava pit in Mordor, people seems to forget they exist and tunnel visioned on bridge entrance.

Mastered 3 Centurion in my mechbay.
CN9-AL
A mix range fighter with 1x ERPPC, 2x MLaz, 1x LRM10 and 1x LRM5.
ERPPC to uncloak DDC, and throw 15 LRMs at it while backing into cover.

YEN-LO-WANG
Instead of the standard AC20, I replace it with an AC/2 and Ultra 5 for boat load of dakas.
Hang close to the heavy and assault focus fire hard on a target, it can rip a component off in seconds.
Ammo is a problem in extended match, with only 2x MLaz for backup and poor zombie capability. But is still my best performing Centurion.

CN9-D
My D operate as a close range LRMboat, throwing 20 missiles into the brawl.
2x MLaz and 2x MG for poking at internals up close.

#13 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

YEN-LO-WANG
Similar to xengk, I have traded the AC/20 for 2 smaller weapons but I use 2 AC/5s in a chain fire setup for continuous suppressive fire instead of 2 different weapons. Can zombie thanks to the STD engine and to me, 65 kph are still fast enough for a second line fire supporter. It's fun seeing those enemies loose orientation when the rounds keep exploding in their faces. Interestingly, the 2 Medium Lasers in the CT are not affected by chain fire and will fire simultaneously allowing for proper pinpoint damage.

#14 hargneux

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 104 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

My go to centurion build is a CN9-D with 2AC2 and an ER Large Laser. I frequently do 700+ damage rounds with it.

#15 William Radick

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 64 posts
  • LocationH-Town Texas

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

Love the cents! First mech I mastered. Don't Have the smurfy link here at work, but running a AL with LPSL, 2 Medium, and an SRM6- think the heat eff is 1.45. Zombie mode with a small std engine and max armor, only draw back is a top speed of 70, but as long as I stick to with heavies it works wonders.

And as long as we are sharing Cent stories... one of the scariest moments in an 8man was being bum rushed by virtually and entire team of zombie cents, no one could focus fire- when one would get wounded it would dart away while you got face smashed by two others.

#16 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

Hopped in this thread out of curiosity, as I'm a HBK pilot through and through. That said, I think it's just a medium code of honor- if I see another Hunchbro on the other team, I will spend all game tracking and killing him if I have to (I don't usually ;D). Also wanted to say thatI was expecting your CN9-A build to be the same old same old, but I'm impressed. It's actually pretty wicked looking.

#17 Rakona

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

View Postxengk, on 25 September 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

I usually like to come up from the side entrance to the lava pit in Mordor, people seems to forget they exist and tunnel visioned on bridge entrance.

Mastered 3 Centurion in my mechbay.
CN9-AL
A mix range fighter with 1x ERPPC, 2x MLaz, 1x LRM10 and 1x LRM5.
ERPPC to uncloak DDC, and throw 15 LRMs at it while backing into cover.

YEN-LO-WANG
Instead of the standard AC20, I replace it with an AC/2 and Ultra 5 for boat load of dakas.
Hang close to the heavy and assault focus fire hard on a target, it can rip a component off in seconds.
Ammo is a problem in extended match, with only 2x MLaz for backup and poor zombie capability. But is still my best performing Centurion.

CN9-D
My D operate as a close range LRMboat, throwing 20 missiles into the brawl.
2x MLaz and 2x MG for poking at internals up close.

I agree with you on the bridge side entrance, most people do forget about them and they are a wonderful flanking opportunity.
I like your AL, as it's an interesting load out, and not the same flavor. How do you find the heat on that one? I would strongly consider replacing the AMS with more lrm ammo, as one ton goes really fast for me in other machines.

I havn't tried the UAC5/AC2 combination yet, as I lean toward one type of ammo per gun, i.e. 2 AC/2 and only AC/2 ammo so I don't have to split ammo between different guns, and I can get more overall, but I can see the dakka on those and understand how it could be quite fun. I wonder if you can fit 2 UAC5 on it and chain fire to glory?

Once again, I like how you're playing the D differently that the flavor of the month, though I might consider dropping the MG's and putting a LL possibly in the CT for more range to compliment your lrms. Almost the same damage as the ML's, but more range and you can obviously take the heat.

#18 Rakona

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:56 AM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 28 September 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

YEN-LO-WANG
Similar to xengk, I have traded the AC/20 for 2 smaller weapons but I use 2 AC/5s in a chain fire setup for continuous suppressive fire instead of 2 different weapons. Can zombie thanks to the STD engine and to me, 65 kph are still fast enough for a second line fire supporter. It's fun seeing those enemies loose orientation when the rounds keep exploding in their faces. Interestingly, the 2 Medium Lasers in the CT are not affected by chain fire and will fire simultaneously allowing for proper pinpoint damage.

Seth, I like this! Keeping them off balance with constant fire is key, and I enjoy that you have the heat capacity to do it forever. How do you find your speed working for you when it comes to brawling? i.e. you get caught and have to fight it out. I would consider dropping 1 ton of ammo, putting on ferro, and using that extra tonnage to see if you can get a faster engine out of it, as I like to stay at 80kph or higher. Any lower and I feel like I either don't have the skill to avoid the fights I don't want, or am just too slow to reposition quick enough.

Do you group the ML's separately? If so then I understand your point on the chain fire.

#19 Rakona

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

View PostWilliam Radick, on 28 September 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

Love the cents! First mech I mastered. Don't Have the smurfy link here at work, but running a AL with LPSL, 2 Medium, and an SRM6- think the heat eff is 1.45. Zombie mode with a small std engine and max armor, only draw back is a top speed of 70, but as long as I stick to with heavies it works wonders.

And as long as we are sharing Cent stories... one of the scariest moments in an 8man was being bum rushed by virtually and entire team of zombie cents, no one could focus fire- when one would get wounded it would dart away while you got face smashed by two others.

I ran my AL with a LPL for a while, I did enjoy it, but I really missed the range. I was going 82kph which felt just about right to me for my playstyle. How are you finding it fighting lights at that speed? I always have trouble with them, though they were a bit easier when I was using the LPL. You might check and see, since you're running a bit slower/smaller engine if you can double up on the LPL in the RA. That would be...well deadly when used in close. If you can fit that and the srms/ML...that would be a ton of firepower on such a little mech.

#20 Rakona

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

View Postaniviron, on 28 September 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

Hopped in this thread out of curiosity, as I'm a HBK pilot through and through. That said, I think it's just a medium code of honor- if I see another Hunchbro on the other team, I will spend all game tracking and killing him if I have to (I don't usually ;D). Also wanted to say thatI was expecting your CN9-A build to be the same old same old, but I'm impressed. It's actually pretty wicked looking.

Thanks for stopping by! Pfft, only killing your Hunchbro if you have to :P For us Centurions, there can be only one standing ('tween us and the other team). I do agree with you though on the medium code of honor. It seems that the people that really want to be a better pilot, pilot mediums. Why? Because they are harder. Its more difficult to get a high kill count/dmg score in one of those verses an assault et cetera. Any time I see a medium pilot with high numbers, I smile, because to me, that's a good thing. So I watch those other pilots, am mindful of them. And if it's a Centurion pilot, as far as I go, I want to fight him and prove I'm better than he/she is. Hell, I even went 1 v 1 with a Yenlowang in one of the pits in the desert. Fight was quite even until I ate 60 LRM's and a Jenner started taking pot shots at me. I still think I would of had him though, as I think he was XLing, and I had his torso down to most nothing where I had only lost my arm at that point (before the intervention).

Thanks for the compliment on my build. I switch between Artemis 2x srm4 and non Artemis 3x srm4 to feel out the spreads, but for the most time, it stays like what you see. I do enjoy it, and it's my best preforming one to date.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users