Lock Base Capture For First 3 Minutes

26 replies to this topic

#1 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:51 AM

Nobody likes winning or loosing in first 2 minutes without any combat

It dosen't mean that one team is better than the other . Sometimes they go left and you go right and the only logical solution is to cap race .

Sometimes it happen 10 games in a row escpeially on River City and Alpine

Why not just disable base capture for first 3 minutes so people have time to react and decide if they want to defend or attack

Edited by MadCat02, 21 September 2013 - 06:04 AM.

#2 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

I think the line needs to be drawn between disorienting a team (valid, interesting) and bamboozling players who just wanted to shoot robots (eye-rolls all around).

How about limiting Assault capture speed to the rate of one 'Mech, regardless of how many are on the base, for the first 5 minutes? An entirely careless team can still lose, but it should cut down on matches that are torpedoed from the start.

#3 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:58 AM

did you ninja'd me or did I ninja'd you?
I just posted the exact same thing ;)

You weren't just on a River City match where we had to outcap each other?

#4 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

View PostTexAss, on 21 September 2013 - 05:58 AM, said:

did you ninja'd me or did I ninja'd you?
I just posted the exact same thing ;)

You weren't just on a River City match where we had to outcap each other?

Maybe . Actually i was in 5 base races last 5 games as assault mech and its stupid .

#5 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:07 AM

View PostEast Indy, on 21 September 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

I think the line needs to be drawn between disorienting a team (valid, interesting) and bamboozling players who just wanted to shoot robots (eye-rolls all around).

How about limiting Assault capture speed to the rate of one 'Mech, regardless of how many are on the base, for the first 5 minutes? An entirely careless team can still lose, but it should cut down on matches that are torpedoed from the start.

I find that most of the time its first 3 light mechs that go in the opposite direction of the main force .

That wouden't solve the problem

#6 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:28 AM

Why? You start from your base so if you aren't scouting the different paths and aren't willing to return to base that early in the game then you deserve the loss.

#7 MadCat02

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

View PostFoxfire, on 21 September 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

Why? You start from your base so if you aren't scouting the different paths and aren't willing to return to base that early in the game then you deserve the loss.

It takes like 60 seconds to cap for a 3 mechs . Theres not enough time to turn around so you have to keep going

Edited by MadCat02, 21 September 2013 - 06:33 AM.

#8 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:47 AM

View PostMadCat02, on 21 September 2013 - 06:32 AM, said:

It takes like 60 seconds to cap for a 3 mechs . Theres not enough time to turn around so you have to keep going

If three mechs can get past you that early in the game, you failed at your objectives on the map.

It honestly doesn't take much effort to guard against it since the majority of maps have only a few viable avenues of approach.

#9 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts
  • LocationLaval, Quebec, Canada

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

It's already been suggested many times... and yes, I do want this. They would have to adjust the delay depending on the size of the map though.

#10 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:10 AM

I think randomizing the cap points throughout the game would be better. Throughout the match a different cap point activates forcing teams to constantly be ready to shift focus and attack strategies

#11 Lefty Lucy

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

If the enemy team goes for your base that fast it should be an easy win. Your scouts, or hell jumpy mechs in high places, should have seen them coming, and you should have said "defend base." It's not a hard concept.

View PostMadCat02, on 21 September 2013 - 05:51 AM, said:

Sometimes it happen 10 games in a row escpeially on River City and Alpine

If you're losing to a fast cap 10 games in a row, the problem is you.

#12 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:23 AM

Let me clarify something. I'm not advocating a cap randomization because I think the current system is broken, I am advocating for it because the current system is stale and boring

#13 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 21 September 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

That's a pretty lame counter argument that I've seen way too often. This only applies to 12v12 where the whole team is grouped together and can coordinate easily, and even then. Other than ending the match quickly with a win, there's no point in capping the base that early. It doesn't give you much XP, it doesn't give you much credits, and on top of it, it's extremely boring for everybody else that wish to have an actual fight. Boring = Bad.

I despise everyone who rushes the cap like this just because they want to win quickly. Even if it's one of the winning criteria, it's bad sportsmanship. Whether you think that someone should be defending and that it's their fault and yadda yadda yadda... doesn't change that fact. The goal of the game is to have fun. Ending a match in less than 3 minutes without firing on the enemy is not fun at all! If the goal of this game is for players to have fun, then by all means, implement mechanisms to make it as fun as possible, and if that means preventing people to cap the enemy base within the first few minutes of a match then so be it! I really have no problem with that.

The only reason that this would displease you is if you're one of the ones that rushes the cap early in the game, and if it's so then I say shame on you!

Edited by Tweaks, 21 September 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#14 GorlockTheDestroyer

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:42 AM

Novel idea from someone who started playing WMO in June.

No cap till first kill?

Maybe this allows scouts to do this thing called scouting as opposed to hot footing it to the enemy base. Hell, they might even turn around once behind enemy line and TAG someone so our friendly LuRMer can do his thing.

Might even make people stick together as opposed to certain types of mechs and their congruent playstyles making them either hanger- backers or habitual line steppers just trudging forward to unleash some AC hell.

Just a thought.

#15 Tweaks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 959 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostUncleTouchy, on 21 September 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

Novel idea from someone who started playing WMO in June.

No cap till first kill?

Maybe this allows scouts to do this thing called scouting as opposed to hot footing it to the enemy base. Hell, they might even turn around once behind enemy line and TAG someone so our friendly LuRMer can do his thing.

Might even make people stick together as opposed to certain types of mechs and their congruent playstyles making them either hanger- backers or habitual line steppers just trudging forward to unleash some AC hell.

Just a thought.

Something like that would work yes. I've also proposed (someone else did too, forgot who sorry) something along those lines before, where a certain percentage of the enemy force would have to be destroyed before you could even start capturing their base. Not sure how that would go, but I think the anti-capture timer is a good idea.

#16 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

Everybody hates matches where both teams take different routes, then one starts capping (even if they dont mean to) and the other one is forced to cap too, because of fear they might lose to a cap.

Both teams actually dont wanna win by cap, but fight. But the situations leaves them no chance. Seriously, in-game chat is sooo stupid, you can't really think people can use this {Scrap} during battle. Most don't even read it.

So my idea: give the commander of each team a possibility to send a "fight request" to the other team with the commander console (or whatever you call the commander HUD in game).

If the other team agrees both bases are non-cappable for 2 or 3 minutes (lets decide later).
So both teams have time to find each other on the map and hug it out the masculine kind of way.

Edited by TexAss, 21 September 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#17 GorlockTheDestroyer

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

A hard timer dependent on map size sounds well sound.

Put yourself in the shoes of these quick little ratchet-*** lights.

Are you gonna peak, scout, tag, harass the enemy if the end game(cap) for lights is not avail for 2 to 3 mins in a uncoordinated pug?
Nope. Well i wouldn't ;)
You're gonna put on your tightest thong of invisibility and sneak around not exposing yourself till the timers up. Further affirming the already negative aspects of solo puggers being not useful on a whole.

IMHO no cap till first kills adds a not hardpoint where ,seconds till, you I and everyone else will be waiting for the "Base is being Captured" "Enemy base is being captured" a millisecond apart sending eyes rolling.

#18 Master Maniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 373 posts
  • LocationKentucky, United States

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostLefty Lucy, on 21 September 2013 - 09:18 AM, said:

If the enemy team goes for your base that fast it should be an easy win. Your scouts, or hell jumpy mechs in high places, should have seen them coming, and you should have said "defend base." It's not a hard concept.

lol, this post is quite the trip.

If some players had their way, everybody would sit at their base until the timer counts down, and *everybody wins.* There are no losers! Woooo! No fun to be had, either, but who cares!

#19 LiegeOfThePit

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:46 PM

There's a simple answer to this, if you don't want to lose by cap DEFEND YOUR BASE! Of course there's none smart enough to do it in the game. Everyone seems to want to fight rather than think. literally 80% of the matches I lose because everyone wants to go to the middle, fight and die. At the launchpad page it quotes "A thinking man's shooter" but I don't believe anyone really thinks except those light mechs who win by cap because no one ever defends the base.

#20 Tander09

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostLiegeOfThePit, on 21 September 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

There's a simple answer to this, if you don't want to lose by cap DEFEND YOUR BASE! Of course there's none smart enough to do it in the game. Everyone seems to want to fight rather than think. literally 80% of the matches I lose because everyone wants to go to the middle, fight and die. At the launchpad page it quotes "A thinking man's shooter" but I don't believe anyone really thinks except those light mechs who win by cap because no one ever defends the base.

yeah, and I will definatly will defend from pesky light mechs without getting killed myself
[/sarcasm]
defending won't cut it.. this idea needs to get through
/sign

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users