8 replies to this topic

#1 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:08 AM

Suggestion: Give a day of premium on a players birthday.

OR

Treat their birthday as if they had premium that day.

It would be one of those "niceties" that make people love the game.

Edited by TheStrider, 23 September 2013 - 06:09 AM.

#2 AnotherOne

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

Though I understand the notion and the appeal, I'd be quite suprised if that made it in-game.

There is one simple reason against it: it would be WAY too easy to change the birthdate every single day and thus always having premium time without ever spending money.

#3 Oppi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:25 AM

View PostAnotherOne, on 23 September 2013 - 07:23 AM, said:

There is one simple reason against it: it would be WAY too easy to change the birthdate every single day and thus always having premium time without ever spending money.

They could just make a players birthday unchangeable by the player, couldn't they ? In fact, people's birthdays don't change, and people aren't (or shouldn't be) allowed to sell their accounts, so why change it ?

#4 Gallowglas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:27 AM

View PostAnotherOne, on 23 September 2013 - 07:23 AM, said:

If you can't write code to prevent such an abuse, you have no business calling yourself an application developer. There are very, very basic workarounds for what you describe. I'm not saying this is a feature that needs to happen, but the excuse that it can be abused should be a non-factor.

#5 AnotherOne

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 24 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:06 AM

View PostOppi, on 23 September 2013 - 07:25 AM, said:

They could just make a players birthday unchangeable by the player, couldn't they ? In fact, people's birthdays don't change, and people aren't (or shouldn't be) allowed to sell their accounts, so why change it ?

Sure you could "fix" the date at account creation, but I think the amount of people just wanting to play and putting some random date in there is rather large. These people (assuming they ever learn about this) then have to contact support and have it changed.

Admittedly it shouldn't take long, a minute (or even two) at maximum, but it definitely adds up and the support reaction to other tickets WILL suffer from that accordingly.

Now, that being said, the system itself should be rather easy to implement (at least the add one day-part, I'm not sure about the day treat as premium-suggestion), that's correct. But from a cost-benefit view it is imho kinda pointless.
Yeah, it would be a nice thing to do, but I highly doubt that it would generate any significant growth in paying customers or the userbase in general.

tl;dr:

I'm not saying, I oppose this (not at all), but I don't expect anything of this sort.

#6 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

Are we going to have a dress up contest at Halloween too? How old are you OP? Get a life.

#7 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 24 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

Old enough to appreciate the marketing value of "free". Many players don't even consider paying for premium time, but if they get a taste...

This isn't just about ME ME ME - there is a benefit to giving out free premium time for the company. They've done it before, will do it again - I'm just suggesting something that will cause a positive feeling in the player that could have returns for the company.

Technical/abuse issues aside. As is pointed out, a bit of planning and a bit of programming I'm sure they could figure it out.

And just for the record - yes, I'll dress up this Halloween. I have for every Halloween in the last 3 decades. :) Anyone got an Atlas costume? :P

#8 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:49 AM

give a free day for:
at holydays, birthday, X-Mas, new year, labors day, sundays, friday the 13ths, haloween.or any other day that matters.

The only birthday that matters for me - is the birthday of my son - at halloween - does that mean i get 2 days of premium for nothing?

Not the first time this idea flashed up - and i bet it won't be the last

Edited by Karl Streiger, 24 September 2013 - 06:49 AM.

#9 Jestun

• 1,270 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:19 AM

While I don't code in the language that MWO uses, I'd be shocked if they were unable to compare the current date with the date the bonus was last given and not give it if less than 365 days have passed.

That way they could let people change their birthdays if they foolishly provide false information the first time, but they would only receive 1 bonus per 12 months.

There are obviously various other ways you could do it. Just checking the year would allow someone to claim on 31/12/2013 and again on 01/01/2014 but then not again until 2015. This would allow people to have 1 day premium time per year.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users