Best Lrm Medium?

34 replies to this topic

#1 MortVent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationother side of the ridge firing lrms at ya

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:43 PM

I normally pilot catapults, and thinking of moving into mediums.

I want to find one I can slide into using easily with my cat experience.

The trebuchet looks like a good match, but want to be sure first.

#2 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 23 September 2013 - 06:52 PM

That Hunchie.

#3 Ryvucz

Zunrith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,839 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, Colorado

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostMortVent, on 23 September 2013 - 06:43 PM, said:

I normally pilot catapults, and thinking of moving into mediums.

I want to find one I can slide into using easily with my cat experience.

The trebuchet looks like a good match, but want to be sure first.

Trebuchet is good if you want jump jets, but you're limited to 2 slots for missiles on most of them. (Recommend)

Kintaro has a lot of missile hard points. (Recommend)

Hunchback has a couple of mechs with two missile slots. (I don't recommend)

Centurion has missile bay doors that can be a pain, side torsos get blown off more often than not. (I don't recommend)

-Edited for recommendation and addition of the Centurion

Edited by Ryvucz, 23 September 2013 - 07:06 PM.

#4 Royalewithcheese

• 2,342 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

I don't have much of a basis for comparison re: Mediums or LRM boats, but I kind of like my lurmtaro. It's a KTO-18 with 5xLRM5+A, 2xMLas, a decent engine and a hilarious amount of ammo. LRM5 (esp. w/ Artemis) seems to seek CT pretty consistently (more than the average LRM burst), and if they're not running ECM you can chainfire to screenshake them. If you stack frontal armor (I'm running 5 on the back panels) and stick with the pug blob, you also have pretty solid survivability. It's not anything to write home about, but it gets much better results than my Orion.

#5 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

Trebuchet 5N, this exact config:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...89281bd9aac8fe5

Why not 7M? 5N has a better torso twist and one more arm laser spot (if you decide you'd prefer one extra laser instead of that one ton of ammo). 7M has jets, but as an LRM boat you want to stay near your team, and it's likely most of them won't be jumping, so neither will you have many chances to. Being able to shoot behind while running away is way more useful imo.

Kintaro might actually be a good LRM robot as well, but I really don't like how it can be mistaken for an Atlas in the distance.

Don't use the Hunchback J, its tubes are messed up (it's 10+10 instead of 20) so you can't aLRM30 comfortably. For the same reason don't use HBK SP (6+6) or any Cent (10) for LRMs, anything but aLRM15 is sub-optimal and you'll want to stack those whenever possible.

Posted Image

May not look like much, but these are pretty much all solo games. This thing can carry hard for a grossly oversized 50-tonner with t-rex arms on a 17 fps laptop.

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 23 September 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#6 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:56 PM

It was the Trebuchet for me, until the Kintaro-18 showed up! I use this build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...862c26618de3ed7
Could downgrade the erppc to an erLL, however, the 5 lrm 5 are great for hassrament on chainfire or one blob of lrm25. Also, since the lrm5 does not need artemis it comes out in a tight spread. Since the hitbox change I have been running my KTO-18 as a streak boat, to great success:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...96a217bb1e8cf44
This mech does both very effectively.

#7 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:57 PM

Clearly you want a HBK-4SP.

Realistically though, Kintaro's are the best at lobbing LRMs, while the Trebuchet 7M is the best at lobbing LRMs while having jump jets.

#8 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostRoyalewithcheese, on 23 September 2013 - 07:12 PM, said:

I don't have much of a basis for comparison re: Mediums or LRM boats, but I kind of like my lurmtaro. It's a KTO-18 with 5xLRM5+A, 2xMLas, a decent engine and a hilarious amount of ammo. LRM5 (esp. w/ Artemis) seems to seek CT pretty consistently (more than the average LRM burst), and if they're not running ECM you can chainfire to screenshake them. If you stack frontal armor (I'm running 5 on the back panels) and stick with the pug blob, you also have pretty solid survivability. It's not anything to write home about, but it gets much better results than my Orion.

I just think arty is a waste with the lrm5, I don't see any difference between using arty or not.

Edited by Johnny Reb, 23 September 2013 - 08:02 PM.

#9 MortVent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationother side of the ridge firing lrms at ya

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

Looks like the Trebuchets, the jump jets seal the deal..

the mobility options are why I love the catapults.

Edited by MortVent, 23 September 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#10 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

Then good luck with the Treb. One less KTO-18 is better for me anyway!

Edited by Johnny Reb, 23 September 2013 - 08:56 PM.

#11 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

Had a lot of fun with my Treb 5N. I sidegraded from LRM15s to Artemis LRM10s to shove in more ammo and to get better groupings. 900 missiles gave me more than enough shots to beat up mechs with 4 MLs to back me up if I ran out.

#12 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

The Trebuchet is by far the best for this role.

Backup Medium Lasers, possible jump jets, NARC (if it gets fixed), and 15 tubed missile hardpoints. You can also get some pretty good speed on the Trebuchet.

#13 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

Used to run LRM on a couple Trebuchet mechs. They are a very solid LRM platform. You won't be able to carry as many as the Catapult but the greater mobility will let you hit more often.

#14 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

Yeah Trebbies may be better LRMboats than anyone else, but beware:

Trebuchets are GIGANTIC.

Seriously. Throw an Atlas aside of a Treb. The former is barely larger.

Also they can't do nothing properly other than LRM (let's be honest, the ballistic Treb is pathetic).

So, if you're looking for a chassis that does whatever your 'pults can already do, get Trebs. If you wanna try something else....

GET ALL THE HUNCHBACKS.

#15 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

The only one I used was the 4G Hunchie. I thought it was decent, but the Trebs are probably better. The only real advantage I can see is that the 4G can fit a TAG in its head, which has actually served me extremely well, and it has a much smaller profile. I mean, the hunch is obviously a big target, but the mech as a whole is smaller than the Treb, and is smaller than most Heavy and Assaults. In my observations, hunchbacks rarely draw more attention than Trebs when a big firefight breaks out. You might miss the jump jets, but while I found the JJs useful in other mechs, I don't think I could see them as what seals the deal with anything in the medium class or higher.

#16 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

Need jump jets? Treb. Dont care about that? Kintaro.
Nothing else can really do a optimal LRM loadout, though one of the centurions does a pretty mean 3XLRM10 setup.

#17 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

Probably the Kintaro or Trebuchet- both have multiple variants designed as missile platforms, and one of the Kintaros can launch like 40 LRMs at once from its arm.

The HBK-4J looks really neat, but the 20-tube launcher only shoots 10 tubes at a time, and none of the other HBKs do missiles except the 4SP, which only shoots 2x6 at a time. On the plus side, the HBK-4J lets you mount six energy weapons as well.

#18 Aluminumfoiled

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationErehwon

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:03 PM

Treb with as big of an engine you can do. Prowl behind the lines in a direct fire support role can work well. 1-300 behind an atlas focus firing with them. You can do this with the mobility. Or the standard LRM role. 15 tubes too.

I have one with a Art 15 and 10, big engine with much ammo.

#19 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:56 AM

Personally, the Kintaro 18 is the best LRM Medium. That's because I view LRM-equipped Mediums not as boats, but mobile harassers that are constantly raining LRMs in streams (4-5 LRM5 launchers) rather than using the boat strategy of a couple of massive launchers (10/15s in the majority for Mediums) for high damage. The rain of missiles seems to work better for ammo-management as well, since you're not going to ever be able to have the same level of ammo in a Medium that a Heavy or Assault can just walk around with.

#20 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:01 AM

I've ran lots of HBKs. Run Trebechets and Kintaros.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users