Shell Casings

15 replies to this topic

#1 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:43 AM

I just realized that, weirdly enough, the Gauss seems to be ejecting a spent shell casing with each shot. Take out a Phract with Gauss in its right arm or torso, fire a shot and watch the lower right edge of the screen.

Which is kinda odd, since why would a Gauss even have casings ... or shells? The way I understand it, it fires a lump of metal using magnetic fields to accelerate said lump to ridiculous speeds. Same basic principle that the "Transrapid" high-speed train uses or Q's decapitating tea-tray from... errr... Moonraker? The Spy who loved me? Gotta get my 007-references right, dang! :)

OTOH, ACs don't eject any kind of brass - which they should. Could be that they're supposed to be using caseless ammo, but then the BT-books would be wrong I guess. I'm just in the middle of "Mercenary's Star" where the author describes in great detail how McCall's Rifleman litters the area with a ton of brass during the first battle on Verthandi.

S.

Edited by 1Sascha, 24 September 2013 - 01:04 AM.

#2 Archtype

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:45 AM

not to mention the littering of brass on from the Jaeger on the background image of the website. Could we be in store for RAG? (rotary-auto-gauss)

#3 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:26 AM

LOL .. I only saw that detail just now .. it's right in the background of this page after all... Maybe I need glasses...? :)

S.

Edited by 1Sascha, 24 September 2013 - 02:11 AM.

#4 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:31 AM

Considering the first question:
the pract does not mount Gauss initialy so maybe the 3D modell refers to a standard balistic - weapons... i believe the same was said about the Gauss from the K2 hps.

refering to Mercenary Star... only in the very very first books you find some "real" references about calibers for Autocannons... later books didn't make the "mistake".

btw: brazz would be a unlikely material for autocannon shells...because its to heavy :)

#5 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:34 AM

about calibers for Autocannons..

I don't see what this has to do with this topic. Calibers weren't even a part of the original post. It was about brass getting (not) ejected.

the pract does not mount Gauss initialy so maybe the 3D modell refers to a standard balistic - weapons... i believe the same was said about the Gauss from the K2 hps.

So?

A Gauss-rifle mounted onto a ballistics-point that doesn't carry one as stock produces a spent shell casing.. but an AC mounted in the same fashion still doesn't... so that is hardly a reason/explanation for this. Plus: Haven't tested it just now, but I'm *fairly* certain that other Mechs - which originally come with a Gauss - show this behavior as well.

And besides: Even if the original source material would claim caseless ammo for the ACs, I'd still want brass in-game. It'd just look soooo cool. Just glance over to the right on this page and look at all the brass coming out of that Jäger..

Can't be *that* hard to implement. Shooters had this features in the late 90s. Just make the spent casings stay visible for 20 seconds or so and then have them vanish - like the shot-off components.

S.

#6 Thomas Dziegielewski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere - St.Ives - CERES METALS, AAlcadis Revised Underground Complex, B5

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

The metal slug is encased in a casing because due to the toxic nature of the metal used in the slug ; it makes it safer for the crews to load into the mechs.

If you really really want me to ill ask art to remove it... (they have to say "yes" as well)

#7 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

I always though that the gauss was a 2 stage accelerator. The first being cannon like, then to really get that sucker moving the mags cut in.

#8 Oppi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:20 AM

View PostThomas Dziegielewski, on 24 September 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

The metal slug is encased in a casing because due to the toxic nature of the metal used in the slug ; it makes it safer for the crews to load into the mechs.

It's a ferrous Nickel-Iron alloy, there's nothing in it that you wouldn't find in your average stainless steel kitchen equipment :P

Bragging about fluff knowledge aside, I don't think it needs removal that bad ...

#9 danneskold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 124 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

Casings as a whole in year 3050 is silly. I am sure with another 1000 years of development, caseless rounds would have been perfected.....

(we arent that far off now)

#10 Aliencreature

Rookie

• Mercenary
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:23 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabot

As far as I know, experimental railguns so far are using Sabot.

#11 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

View Postdanneskold, on 24 September 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

Casings as a whole in year 3050 is silly. I am sure with another 1000 years of development, caseless rounds would have been perfected.....

Caseless as in powder and shot? Just kidding :P

#12 RandomLurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

View Postdanneskold, on 24 September 2013 - 10:22 AM, said:

Caseless round do exist in-universe. They fit more ammo per ton, but have a higher chance of ammo explosion.

Besides, as everyone should have figured out by now, most of Btech technology is 1960's era tech. They've literally bombed all of the non-weapon technology out of existence.

#13 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:33 PM

View Post1Sascha, on 24 September 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

OTOH, ACs don't eject any kind of brass - which they should. Could be that they're supposed to be using caseless ammo, but then the BT-books would be wrong I guess. I'm just in the middle of "Mercenary's Star" where the author describes in great detail how McCall's Rifleman litters the area with a ton of brass during the first battle on Verthandi.

It could just be that the casing for the AC is small enough to not be seen usually? I mean, especially for the larger ACs like the 10 and 20 you can hear a very definite clink after the previous shot is discharged and before the next one is loaded.

#14 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:31 PM

View Postaniviron, on 24 September 2013 - 12:33 PM, said:

It could just be that the casing for the AC is small enough to not be seen usually? I mean, especially for the larger ACs like the 10 and 20 you can hear a very definite clink after the previous shot is discharged and before the next one is loaded.

Excuses, excuses.. ;)

You make a good point there BTW about the audio-cue.
And even if we don't take the calibers from the books as canon, you should be able to get some idea of the size of the actual gun/shell/casing by looking at the round/tracer as it goes downrange. And of course by the impact the rounds have. The AC20 is a relatively slow moving projectile, yet it still manages to rock a 100-ton Atlas when it hits its side or center torso. That means the "bullet" and/or its explosive content must be pretty substantial. Unless of course the Mech is just experiencing pain on impact and jerks back in reaction to that.. ;)

And I know RL-tech isn't really a valid comparison, but:

Posted Image

And that thing (GAU-8) "only" fires 30mm and is designed to take out stuff that Mechs pretty much brush aside (MBTs). So I'm *guessing* that anything bigger than an AC2 should be at least as massive as the GAU. Especially when you consider Mech sizes and mass and how much space the bigger ACs and their ammo occupy on them.

If you really really want me to ill ask art to remove it... (they have to say "yes" as well)

Oh nononono. I don't *mind* the Gauss' behavior and your in-universe explanation is good enough for me. I'm more interested in seeing AC-heavy Mechs litter the environment with spent shell casings.

Edited by 1Sascha, 24 September 2013 - 11:34 PM.

#15 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:34 PM

View Post1Sascha, on 24 September 2013 - 11:31 PM, said:

Excuses, excuses.. ;)

You make a good point there BTW about the audio-cue.
And even if we don't take the calibers from the books as canon, you should be able to get some idea of the size of the actual gun/shell/casing by looking at the round/tracer as it goes downrange. And of course by the impact the rounds have. The AC20 is a relatively slow moving projectile, yet it still manages to rock a 100-ton Atlas when it hits its side or center torso. That means the "bullet" and/or its explosive content must be pretty substantial. Unless of course the Mech is just experiencing pain on impact and jerks back in reaction to that.. ;)

And I know RL-tech isn't really a valid comparison, but:

Posted Image

And that thing (GAU8-8) "only" fires 30mm and is designed to take out stuff that Mechs pretty much brush aside (MBTs). So I'm *guessing* that anything bigger than an AC2 should be at least as massive as the GAU. Especially when you consider Mech sizes and mass and how much space the bigger ACs and their ammo occupy on them.

Oh nononono. I don't *mind* the Gauss' behavior and your in-universe explanation is good enough for me. I'm more interested in seeing AC-heavy Mechs litter the environment with spent shell casings.

Oh hey, I drive a Beetle! (one of the new ones).

I guess that kinda puts the kibosh on my plans a mount a GAU-8 from the roof though, huh. :[

#16 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

Oh hey, I drive a Beetle! (one of the new ones).

So you're not really driving a Beetle.. ;) (front-mounted, liquid-cooled engine, FWD). You're driving a Golf in a fancy dress... ;)

S.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users