Manual Map Selection

3 replies to this topic

#1 All24Cans

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:21 PM

The ability to choose which maps we want to play. There are problems with being forced into random maps.
  • Maps are obviously weighted. 19% of my maps are "Tourmaline Desert". I've been on that map 136 times, with the 2nd most hit map being "Canyon Network" for 75 times.
  • Bad mech/map matches, because I hate taking my Atlas brawler to the Tourmaline desert.
  • People quitting the map they hate, unbalancing the match.
  • People stop playing, or don't play as much, because the thought of being forced into maps like the Tourmaline Desert, over and over again, make them physically ill.
Maybe there's a concern that people will play some maps more than others. Why is that a concern? If the maps sucks, then it should be allowed to die. Or are we forcing 90% of us to play a map to serve the 10% that like that map?

I would even spend C-Bills for the ability to manually select a map.

#2 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 24 September 2013 - 07:27 PM

Why not, every other online game out there consists of a group being formed then they decide which quest to take or what to do.

I like the idea of the public queue's mechwarrior has, a strong point for mw, but why not have some other options also.

#3 Gaan Cathal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

Because then everyone brings their toasty-hot PPC builds to Frozen City and Terra Therma is populated entirely by Gauss/AC/5 builds. The mech design paradigm at the moment relies on the unpredictability of maps to give certain builds a weakness. Part of the opportunity cost of your deadly brawler Atlas is the fact that in long-ranged engagements it suffers. Letting you pick the map is allowing you to cheat that opportunity cost since the disadvantage is never encountered.

In short, either put a long ranged gun on your brawler, or suck it up and start walking when you get Alpine/Terra/Tourmaline. The next new map looks to be a CQB jobbie, at least.

#4 All24Cans

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:33 PM

Now hold on, "cheat" is not the word to use. If everybody's on the same page, choosing a game mode that allows for manual map selection, bringing their preferred mechs for that type of map, then no one is at a disadvantage. It's a fair game. I'm not suggesting some people camp out on a map and pick off people who got that map randomly; nor should that be allowed to happen.

How about when I randomly land on a random map against a 12-mech pre-made group of well organized clanners that are using TeamSpeak? That's allowed to happen. They can organize their short and long range mech builds to deal with any map situation, while I'm forced to do a mixed-mech pug match that's disadvantaged for any range.

At least with manual map selection, the pugs would stand a better chance against the pre-mades.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users