Suggestion

12 replies to this topic

#1 Beshemaster

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

Who designed this forum? It's impossible to find things. Like this post at the end of the locked post. No links anywhere. Have to Google search the forum.

Update!
We have uncovered a critical issue which is requiring the server to go under another quick and temporary maintenance of approximately half an hour. We apologize for any inconvenience and hope to get you back into the Mech action as soon as possible.

I never know if the updates are going to come under the command chair or the announcements and sometimes they're just randomly in some forum. Everybody is hunting for tidbits of info.

They should just have some "Game Design" Forum and break it out into the different sections we keep asking questions about and keep it updated. Otherwise we have to hunt and peck to find everything.

They should have a Reddit style upvote system to keep the things we care about at the top. Or we should just move this forum over to Reddit, oh wait, somebody kind of already did. http://www.reddit.com/r/mwo/

Every time I show up over here it is amateur hour.

#2 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:36 PM

U mad bro?

#3 Beshemaster

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:36 PM

View PostLauLiao, on 01 October 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

U mad bro?

Come at me bro! :(

#4 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:40 PM

It's a forum. They all look like this.
However I do agree that critical information should be easily noticeable.
We have 3 or 4 sub forums just for devs announcements and info.

#5 kuangmk11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationW-SEA, Cascadia

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

No, it didn't used to be like this. It used to be pretty good, we had a "general discussion" like any other forum where everything was discussed out in the open where it was easy to find. There were several sub-forums that were not used much. They rearranged things to obfuscate and bury the dissent. It hasn't been the same around here since.

#6 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

View PostVeranova, on 01 October 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

Well at least they have pinned topics in the dev only posting forums... maybe one... or two... or 17 of them. (this has already been greatly reduced from 40+ pinned topics at one point though to give the mods here some credit)

I still dont get the logic behind stickying dev post where no user can post or add a thread to push them out of the way... there are still stickies for outdated information in those subforums.... WHY?

for example Game update JULY (thats 3 months ago) informing us for example that Pulse lasers, PPCs and ER Large Lasers WILL be changed. http://mwomercs.com/...e-july-30-2013/ Why is something like this pinned in the first place? It is a temprorary information which will move down by its own by the time it is outdated.

#7 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:30 AM

It was good. It was turned to ****. It remained ****. Eg the search function has been broken for the better part of year when we had a perfectly functioning good one.

View PostVeranova, on 01 October 2013 - 04:40 PM, said:

Take a look at MWTacitcs forum to see how the forum looked like before.

#8 Geek Verve

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCentral Indiana, USA

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

I don't have much problem with the forum structure, and the design is pretty clean. The biggest problem I have is, however, finding what I'm looking for. The absence of "New Posts" or even a "My Posts" link is a glaring omission. If I simply search for my name, the search results are a bit confusing, mixing references to threads I've posted in and the actual posts, themselves.

I'm not buying into the "hiding dissent" theory, though. There's plenty of that around, and you don't have to look hard to find it.

#9 kuangmk11

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 627 posts
  • LocationW-SEA, Cascadia

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

View PostGeek Verve, on 04 October 2013 - 05:55 AM, said:

I don't have much problem with the forum structure, and the design is pretty clean. The biggest problem I have is, however, finding what I'm looking for. The absence of "New Posts" or even a "My Posts" link is a glaring omission. If I simply search for my name, the search results are a bit confusing, mixing references to threads I've posted in and the actual posts, themselves.

I'm not buying into the "hiding dissent" theory, though. There's plenty of that around, and you don't have to look hard to find it.

I think things are a bit more civil now. There was much rage and hate and QQing in general. When they closed it they archived all the threads in it. You could petition to have the thread resurrected but none that I nominated ever were. Here is the announcement thread:

http://mwomercs.com/...fic-sub-forums/

#10 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

What's really in question here I think, is the way PGI communicates with us.
All the different areas are rather broken up around the forum.
I would suggest moving the following resources under the Developers Corner:

Developer's Corner
---Announcements
---Command Chair
---Ask The Devs
---Patches & Feedback
------Patch Notes
------Known Issues
------Bug Workarounds
---Public Test
------Test Schedule & Info
------Test Feedback
------Test - Known Issues

With this structure you could more easily use the Announcements section to post up minor updates, such as server status/issues. Like the post patch failure that had to be fixed the other day. There was a small post put up which was buried away in a sub-forum, and I only found because someone posted it on the facebook wall.
Saying this, the status of servers ideally should always be posted on the facebook wall as soon as a problem is noticed.
It's nice to be kept in the loop at worst. At best it's a PR win to be communicating actively.

#11 Veranova

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 542 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

On a different note, there are tons of pinned topics in each sub-forum, and combined with the default ordering based on most recent posts, it can be really hard to find the most recent information.

If there was a function to order topics by start-date, that would help greatly with this.

#12 WarHippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

---New Player Help
---Meta Game
-----Mechs and Builds
---Annoucements
-----Dev Discussions/Command Chair
---Patch Information
-----Upcoming Patch Discussion
---General Discussion
---Great Houses and Recruitment
-----Steiner,Davion,etc.
---The Clans and Recruitment
-----Wolf,Jade Falcon,etc.
---Mercs and Recruitment
---Help
---Suggestions
---Lore Discussions
---International
---Off Topic

Why anyone would think dividing the forums into 60+ sub-forums was a good idea is beyond me. Keep it simple stupid as the saying goes.

Edited by WarHippy, 04 October 2013 - 10:31 AM.

#13 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 07 October 2013 - 04:09 AM

Sry but my impression of this forum is absolutely positive. Nice overwiew and especially the stats section is awesome!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users