10 replies to this topic

#1 Red5angel

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn Colorado

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

First, I’d like to start with two popular quotes. The first is by William Shakespeare, “The empty vessel makes the loudest sound”. The second is by Leonardo Da Vinci and is “Art is never finished, only abandoned”. I’ll explain but with some meandering so please bear with me.
I know you’re putting in a lot of hard work. I know that you can’t please all the people all the time and so you set some timelines and some goals and along the way you adapt. There are occasional bumps in the road and sharp curves you couldn’t see coming and they may cause you some difficulty. I’m willing to bet you are huge nerds, much like myself and a lot of your fanbase. I know some of you have had an interest in Battletech for many years, have worked on several titles related to the franchise, and I’m betting everything you’ve talked about putting in the game is something you yourself would want to experience as a gamer.
From the Henry V, Shakespeare says "I did never know so full a voice issue from so empty a heart: but the saying is true, the empty vessel makes the greatest sound". The internet, for all the good it’s done and is doing, has sometimes brought out the worst in us. I feel the quote is apt for the situation in which you are put. You have many critics, many of whom don’t understand the work that goes into a project such as this. I think it’s more our own faults as consumers than yours as developers. If we don’t get something right away, we scream. If it isn’t exactly what we expected, we complain. If it doesn’t work the way we want it too, we whine. Finally, if it won’t let us win the way we want, we pout. I believe they are for the most part a minority, unfortunately the vocal minority, and as hard as it’s been for me to deal with, I can’t imagine how frustrating it is for you. Just so you know, your loyal fans exist, and while we may not bother trying to be heard over the crowd, we continue to log in to the game, to play it and to enjoy the experience. I feel the fix is simple for most who profess to hate you, the company you work for, or even the game itself (ironically often while playing this very game). There were times during closed beta when things got rough. I didn’t like it, so I tucked it away, allowed you to do some work, and came back from time to time to see where things were going. Some of us understand it’s a learning experience and that it will take some time to get things comfortable.
The second quote, by Da Vinci, “Art is never finished, only abandoned”. It’s easy to understand what he means and I won’t attempt to explain it here. I can say however I feel you in your glorious nerddom understand that this game will never be perfect, and it can’t possibly do everything we all as fans would like it to. I also feel that you’re giving it an honest go to try to develop the game the best that you can. I’m also reasonable enough to know that to balance it for ease of use and access, for play, and to sustain it, some unpopular decisions have to be made. Unfortunately us ultra-nerds/fans don’t live in a bubble and so we must deal with occasionally a little less than we want, so that the more casual of us can still enjoy the experience. I’m as excited for the ride ahead as much as I am the play as it stands now and I can’t wait to see what will be, a year or more down the road.
So for a change of pace I’d just like to thank you. Thanks for the work you’ve put into it so far and hopefully will continue to put into it as we go along. Thanks for putting up with the internet and for ‘fans’ who can’t just relax and let you do your work. Thanks for listening to the real problems through all the noise and addressing it when you can. Thanks for continuing to add to the game, as well as continuing to make the necessary adjustments for well-balanced gaming experiences. Thanks for the regular patches and updates. Thanks for the sweet hero mechs. Thanks for helping us to live the dream and for a few minutes at a time (I hear about 7.5-8 minutes on average) getting to live the rockstar life of a mechwarrior.
Thanks guys, and keep up the good work!

#2 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

This last patch was ok.

Except for that stupid ready feature

Edited by mwhighlander, 01 October 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#3 Wolfways

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

View PostRed5angel, on 01 October 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

You have many critics, many of whom don’t understand the work that goes into a project such as this. I think it’s more our own faults as consumers than yours as developers. If we don’t get something right away, we scream. If it isn’t exactly what we expected, we complain. If it doesn’t work the way we want it too, we whine. Finally, if it won’t let us win the way we want, we pout. I believe they are for the most part a minority, unfortunately the vocal minority, and as hard as it’s been for me to deal with, I can’t imagine how frustrating it is for you.

Are you serious?
There are many in the community who do know the work involved. And just because you don't agree with the way PGI does things it your own fault?
While there are always some who scream and shout "just because" there are also many players who have given suggestions for fixes and improvements that work better in my, and others opinions

Just so you know, your loyal fans exist, and while we may not bother trying to be heard over the crowd, we continue to log in to the game, to play it and to enjoy the experience.

I.e. "I didn't try to help create a better game in any way during beta." This makes you a loyal fan?

I feel the fix is simple for most who profess to hate you, the company you work for, or even the game itself (ironically often while playing this very game). There were times during closed beta when things got rough. I didn’t like it, so I tucked it away, allowed you to do some work, and came back from time to time to see where things were going. Some of us understand it’s a learning experience and that it will take some time to get things comfortable.

As above, instead of beta testing during beta test you were just playing...

The second quote, by Da Vinci, “Art is never finished, only abandoned”. It’s easy to understand what he means and I won’t attempt to explain it here. I can say however I feel you in your glorious nerddom understand that this game will never be perfect, and it can’t possibly do everything we all as fans would like it to. I also feel that you’re giving it an honest go to try to develop the game the best that you can. I’m also reasonable enough to know that to balance it for ease of use and access, for play, and to sustain it, some unpopular decisions have to be made. Unfortunately us ultra-nerds/fans don’t live in a bubble and so we must deal with occasionally a little less than we want, so that the more casual of us can still enjoy the experience. I’m as excited for the ride ahead as much as I am the play as it stands now and I can’t wait to see what will be, a year or more down the road.
So for a change of pace I’d just like to thank you. Thanks for the work you’ve put into it so far and hopefully will continue to put into it as we go along. Thanks for putting up with the internet and for ‘fans’ who can’t just relax and let you do your work. Thanks for listening to the real problems through all the noise and addressing it when you can. Thanks for continuing to add to the game, as well as continuing to make the necessary adjustments for well-balanced gaming experiences. Thanks for the regular patches and updates. Thanks for the sweet hero mechs. Thanks for helping us to live the dream and for a few minutes at a time (I hear about 7.5-8 minutes on average) getting to live the rockstar life of a mechwarrior.
Thanks guys, and keep up the good work!

Honestly i'm glad you like the game. I do too. I mostly enjoy the matches and maps (especially love the new map even if it is horribly unbalanced) but i, and i think many more, expected more. MWO in its current state is, imo an okay game. With CW it might be a good game, but i personally don't think that PGI's vision of the future (at least what i've seen of that) will make it an amazing game (at least not for me).
But saying that the bad relationship between PGI and the players, and the bad critic scores is the players faults is just ridiculous.

#4 Team Leader

• 3,222 posts
  • LocationUrbanmech and Machine Gun Advocate

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:08 AM

This was nice of you to post. However the whiners are the loyal fans, they want this game to be great but PGI manages to keep doing stuff that messes it up and somehow makes things worse. In beta, you are supposed to point out the problems. Many problems were never fixed and we're stuck with them. They don't listen to player feedback and keep doing their own thing. Keep drinking the flavor aid buddy.

#5 Nauht

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:04 AM

I'd like to thank PGI as well - because of their current practices and decisions I've now been able to fully dedicate my gaming slush fund to Star Citizen and other games.

So now my SC hangar is more fully decked out, I've backed Elite: Dangerous, pre-ordered X:Rebirth, got GTA V and caught up in ARMA 3.

For those SC fans:
Spoiler

#6 Flusensieb

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:18 AM

I like people that are able to say much with less words.
Myself suffers from this ability.

#7 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:19 AM

View Postmwhighlander, on 01 October 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

This last patch was ok.

Except for that stupid ready feature

Except for Founder's Atlas cockpits...

#8 3Xtr3m3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 717 posts
  • LocationOn Your Six

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:13 PM

I will agree with the Thank you PGI, but if you want me to hold hands and sing songs I am going to take a pass on that.
*bullfrog singing*
"All we are saying, is give the heat math a chance"

#9 Chavette

• Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:38 PM

View PostAym, on 02 October 2013 - 03:19 AM, said:

Except for Founder's Atlas cockpits...

Except for me not finding any games 5 times out of 6.

#10 Red5angel

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn Colorado

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

wolfways, I think you and I are in agreement.

If you as the reader find yourself taking offense to my post, then maybe you missed the point.

I don't spend a lot of time on the forums - especially when it comes to gaming forums - they bring out the worst. I just wanted PGI to know there are some of us out here who understand, appreciate and support their efforts. you can see it occasionally on these forums and others, but it's often consumed quickly by the worst - see some of the posts above for examples.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users