1:60 Posable 3D Printed Sarah's Jenner

43 replies to this topic

#1 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

So I had initially had a few pics up, but I don't think anyone actually clicks on links. so here's the whole story :P Enjoy!

We're excited to show off the latest project we've been working on for the last little while. It's been challenging keeping quiet about it with all the excitement surrounding MW:O.

With the game leaving beta, launch party, etc. We also didn't want to ruin the surprise for the people receiving it. But here it is finally! Sarah's Jenner in 1:60 scale, hand painted, free standing, posable 3D printed model.

Posted Image
For those that don't know, Sarah's Jenner was launched in memory if a 5 year old fan who had lost the battle to cancer. She and her father was a huge fan of MW:O, and for $10 you could purchase the Sarah Jenner and all proceeds was donated to the Canadian Cancer Society. The response was overwhelming, far exceeding the donation expectations. Sarah's Jenner had a unique skin designed just for her, complete with rainbows, unicorns, band **** and teddy bears. These decals were painstakingly reproduced with tiny brushes. -possibly the most time consuming part of the process... but the results are well worth it!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Those hearts are roughly one square millimeter. I'm not actually an experienced model painter... The painters I had in mind couldn't do it, so I took the task on myself. My painting experience includes an Atlas.. and that's about it.
Posted Image
Here is the official virtual jenner (top) replaced with a photo of our physical Jenner (bottom) for comparison for those that might not know what a Sarah Jenner is.

So how did this project begin? You might have seen my previous 3D print of an MW:O Atlas. Well the folks at NGNG took notice and brought the idea up, that they wanted to bring Sarah's Jenner into reality, and present it as a gift to Sarah's father. They offered to cover some of the costs, and I was in-between projects and looking for something new and inspiring to do, so it was a perfect matchup. There were also many lessons learned from making the Atlas that I wanted to apply, why not make something cool for an awesome cause at the same time.
I should also mention here that we weren't the first people to have this idea. Horned Owl on the MWO forums created a full colour Sarah Jenner for her father as well. Though the approach and end result are substantially different. Most notably, Horned Owl's comes fully finished from the printer at Table Top scale. While ours requires assembly, is lot larger, has moving joints, and silver thermo-plastic instead of full colour sandstone.
We decided to make it 1:60 scale, which seems to be somewhat of a standard in armorcast models. Which puts the Jenner at around 150mm tall. Almost exactly as tall as the atlas.
Posted Image
Slightly taller than a marker.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The arms are roughly as big as a quarter. Imagine painting a shark in the area of quarter of a quarter. It was hard -at least for me, I know you experienced painters out there can paint the alphabet on a grain of rice. You have my respect.
So if that wasn't hard enough. I had to make 3 of them.
Posted Image
One was a prototype. The other 2 were gifts. The first one I print to test all the tolerances, and mechanical issues that arise from going virtual to physical, and to make sure that it actually prints properly. This time around, I didn't want any noticeable seams like the atlas had on it's legs. I didn't want to print with any supports that would mar the surface finish, and I wanted it all to snap together requiring only small dabs of glue to solidify everything. I'm happy to say that I achieved all of those goals and corrected almost all the design flaws seen on the Atlas.
Posted Image
NGNG wanted one for Sarah's father, and one to PGI. I assembled and painted the prototype and revised tolerances and mechanical function of parts as I waited for the other two Jenners to finish printing. It took 2 full days to print all the parts. But it actually went quite smoothly, I designed, prototyped, and assembled and re-designed version 2 in a span of a week and a half, between work.
Posted Image
These pictures kept me going throughout the process. Just had to get the details right. (top ingame Jenner, Bottom Physical)

Posted Image
Each one was sent out with a NGNG stand for added baddass-ness. To be displayed with it if they so choose.

And here's a slew of pictures! Assembled from 39 parts excluding pins.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

To answer the inevitable question:
We don't distribute the 3D print or working files. And it is not for sale. Sorry!

And thanks again to PGI for running the Sarah campaign. Thanks to all of you who bought a Sarah mech and/or Donated to Charity! And NGNG for partnering with us on this project!
Both Sarah mechs should have arrived at their destinations by the time you're reading this.
We'll have more stuff for you to see soon once we get those uploaded! stay tuned...

Thanks for visiting.
Valcrow

LINKS:
edit: NGNG article
Other 3D printing stuff
This article

Edited by Valcrow, 08 October 2013 - 09:39 AM.

#2 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

Wow. Astonishing work, reminds me how sad I was when i first read the condolence post back then.

I have big respect for you for going through all that cost and effort to honour her :P

Lets never ever forget her and everybody else who is suffering from that terrible illness, which has killed some of my beloved ones too already. Only together we can fight against it and humankind will find a cure, we just need more people like you Valcrow, people who set little signs.

Thank you.

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:07 PM

god that is beautiful work. I love seeing that.

#4 DevilCrayon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 274 posts
  • LocationOakland, CA

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:21 PM

That's brilliant. Totally brilliant.

#5 Sentinel373

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 317 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:38 PM

absolutely amazing work, I'm sure her father will love it.
I had heard NGNG was doing a 3d printing project but didn't know what it was.

Edited by Sentinel373, 02 October 2013 - 04:39 PM.

#6 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:05 PM

Thanks guys!

I updated the thread, I figure no ones actually going to click on links so I pasted the whole thing here.
So there's a slew of new pics if you've checked before this post.

View PostIqfishLP, on 02 October 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

Wow. Astonishing work, reminds me how sad I was when i first read the condolence post back then.

I have big respect for you for going through all that cost and effort to honour her ;)

Lets never ever forget her and everybody else who is suffering from that terrible illness, which has killed some of my beloved ones too already. Only together we can fight against it and humankind will find a cure, we just need more people like you Valcrow, people who set little signs.

Thank you.

Aww thanks. I'm not alone in this though, it was Phil from NGNG that came to me with the idea and helped cover some of the costs. And before that, Horned Owl had made one with the same intention too.

I must say though, I am really glad to have the opportunity to contribute in this way. I couldn't have found a more fitting way to contribute. It's funny to see this community so divided on every little thing from PPCs to ELO, but when it comes to this, unified as one.

I really hope Sarah's father likes it, and hope the other one finds a nice place at PGI to remind them of the overwhelming support from the MWO community.

#7 stoph

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 95 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:11 PM

Uhm...Wow.

#8 Yawn

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 58 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:07 AM

This is absolutely awesome! Great job! It would be very hard for me to give that away... You're so Jennerous (generous)! This will brighten up Sarah's father's day for sure! ;)

#9 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:26 AM

great job ;)

#10 Colby Boucher

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 285 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:15 AM

WOW. I thought I was looking at the mech in - game for a moment. I want every mech to have a collecable figure at that scale, with that level of detail now. I would buy them all.

#11 Pugnax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 108 posts
  • LocationSometimes Canada

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:41 AM

That is an incredibly accurate looking replica. Absolutely well done!

#12 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,589 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:43 AM

Me too. AWESOME WORK +1

#13 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:10 AM

This post is full of WIN. Really excellent work, and a great tribute both to Sarah and to a Great Cause! Salute to you, good sir!

#14 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

I can just see PGI buying some from you then displaying it their offices in honor of Sarah. How wonderful this model is, thanks for sharing. :D

#15 Myfriendscallmecoach

• PipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 09:35 AM

I commend you for your excellent model, and great paint job. I would love to get my hands on one of these and paint it with a scenic base for a display model. I have one question. What is the 3D printed surface like to paint on?

#16 Fury9er

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:19 AM

I am a modeller and the detail painting on that is excellent Valcrow, great work :D

#17 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:39 AM

Thanks all!

View PostStingray1234, on 03 October 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

I can just see PGI buying some from you then displaying it their offices in honor of Sarah. How wonderful this model is, thanks for sharing. :D

We sent PGI one, maybe they'll send a pic of it in their office sometime!

View PostChenkenstien, on 03 October 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

I commend you for your excellent model, and great paint job. I would love to get my hands on one of these and paint it with a scenic base for a display model. I have one question. What is the 3D printed surface like to paint on?

The printed surface is like any other plastic, you can sand it, putty, prime. Anything that sticks onto regular plastic models works on this. It's PLA corn based plastic. The only difference being injection molded plastic pieces often have a much smoother refined finish. Printed parts often have layering pattern to them. roughly 8 layers in one millimeter.

If you prime/putty/sand you can get rid of most of it. I puttied only the really bad parts where there were print holes. But everything else is the same painting wise a little bit more cleanup.

Posted Image

View PostMarack Drock, on 03 October 2013 - 10:26 AM, said:

how do I get the software and models for making these? Cause I am looking at getting a 3D printer myself

You can download blender, free modeling program, there's a few more out there as well. There's a thread on these fan art forums called something like 'how to use PGI assets' that explains how to use MWO models. There are also print services like shapeways if you want more detailed prints like TT sized ones and initial cost isn't quite as expensive.

#18 Hrunting

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSkye

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:21 PM

Nicely done.

::tips hat::

#19 Grey Rabbit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

Very nice work. I've always loved it's devilish grin.

#20 Nemesiis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 138 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationWA

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:46 PM

Very nice work. I am sure Sarah's Dad loves it !! :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users