Am I The Only Person Here Looking Forward To The Locust?

31 replies to this topic

#1 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

When it first came out as part of the Phoenix package, I figured it was a throw away - a step between me and my Thunderbolt and Battlemaster. But I've been looking at it lately (and playing my Ravens again), and I found myself fairly excited to get into one.

Nothing special - but an idea on what I'd be running:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...80a6d6c1e7c64ab

Not really any different than some of the other light mechs, but should fill the light harasser role nicely.

Edited by Buckminster, 10 October 2013 - 06:50 AM.

#2 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:55 AM

Any respite from the Spiderstorm will be welcome.

#3 John Wolf

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 347 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 October 2013 - 06:58 AM

The Locust is one of those childhood mechs since I got into Battletech via Decision at Thunder Rift. It will be nice to pilot it in a game like this. If its not a lemon, it might be my light of choice, depending on how I can tweak the little gnat.

#4 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:01 AM

I cant wait!

#5 Asyres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:02 AM

If it's small enough, and if the stated engine cap is high enough (190, rather than 170), it should be 170kph of pure harassment -- at least until someone tags you with an AC/20 round, and your mech folds in half.

I'd advise moving that ton of MG ammo out of your CT, though. No sense making things easier than they need to be for your enemies ;)

Edit: To clarify, one of the developers mentioned on twitter that the engine cap of the locust will be 190. This was not mere speculation on my part.

Edited by Asyres, 10 October 2013 - 07:10 AM.

#6 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

I will master the Locust, but pretty much put almost no C-Bills into them. For me a 20 ton mech is too light. A 30 ton mech is the lowest I would be willing to go.

#7 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PostAsyres, on 10 October 2013 - 07:02 AM, said:

If it's small enough, and if the stated engine cap is high enough (190, rather than 170), it should be 170kph of pure harassment -- at least until someone tags you with an AC/20 round, and your mech folds in half.

I'd advise moving that ton of MG ammo out of your CT, though. No sense making things easier than they need to be for your enemies ;)

Edit: To clarify, one of the developers mentioned on twitter that the engine cap of the locust will be 190. This was not mere speculation on my part.

Oooh, a 190? That changes everything... <_<

But yeah, I'll probably move stuff around, this was just something to get it on paper. I also tend to put ammo in the CT, I figure that if I'm getting crits in there I'm in big trouble anyway. It'll be even worse if they ever actually institute engine and gyro crits.

#8 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:20 AM

View PostAsyres, on 10 October 2013 - 07:02 AM, said:

Anything above 175 will be worthless until they raise the speed cap. Also this mech is going to require some rethinking on light combat. People are going to learn the hardway that it cannot fight and will just be a harasser/capper/spotter. The other designs might be more useful but it's armor will still be paper thin.

#9 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:43 AM

Yes, you're the only person who wants them.

;)

View PostFireSlade, on 10 October 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

Anything above 175 will be worthless until they raise the speed cap. Also this mech is going to require some rethinking on light combat. People are going to learn the hardway that it cannot fight and will just be a harasser/capper/spotter. The other designs might be more useful but it's armor will still be paper thin.

Um, there is no speed cap, only an engine cap that prevents mechs from going faster. They even stated they're going over lights now to potentially balance underperforming ones, so expect the 2 CT Energy spider to maybe get a speed buff, and maybe the commandos, non-ecm ravens, or Jenner K to get some some slight buffs

#10 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostBront, on 10 October 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

Um, there is no speed cap, only an engine cap that prevents mechs from going faster. They even stated they're going over lights now to potentially balance underperforming ones, so expect the 2 CT Energy spider to maybe get a speed buff, and maybe the commandos, non-ecm ravens, or Jenner K to get some some slight buffs

The Devs had mentioned the cap was there many times. Maybe it is, as you say, done by limiting the engine size or maybe it is an actual program code saying that you cannot go over 152.7kph. The reason for the cap as they stated was that there was issues with the netcode and excessive speeds exacerbated the problems. In one of the recent podcast (with Bryan I believe) he stated that the netcode was ready to handle a speed increase but they wanted to finish some things first and that it was a lower priority. So in the end it is a moot point since we will not have over 151.5kph locusts until they decide to raise that ceiling; which I bet will not be this month.

#11 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

I'm trying to figure out how to jam a LL in there, but it just weighs too much. My build is a lot like yours: without ECM or jump jets, the only thing that will keep that little guy alive is speed.

#12 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

I am going to be running this design when it comes out http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0e03a4f8ef64bd5 and if it turns out to be more durable than I think it will be http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5aade0c0beafb94. I think that pulse lasers will really shine with the short duration times and the AMS might be a must. The reason is that the average mech will have 2 SSRMs on it thus 10 damage per salvo. A fully armored Locust will go down in 14 salvos (probably under 10), that gives you 49 seconds of life with just SSRMs and even less with lasers (you are basically screwed if ACs 5 and above hit you).

#13 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

View PostFireSlade, on 10 October 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

The Devs had mentioned the cap was there many times. Maybe it is, as you say, done by limiting the engine size or maybe it is an actual program code saying that you cannot go over 152.7kph. The reason for the cap as they stated was that there was issues with the netcode and excessive speeds exacerbated the problems. In one of the recent podcast (with Bryan I believe) he stated that the netcode was ready to handle a speed increase but they wanted to finish some things first and that it was a lower priority. So in the end it is a moot point since we will not have over 151.5kph locusts until they decide to raise that ceiling; which I bet will not be this month.

Except they mentioned specifically in a Q/A that it won't be an issue and will be implemented for the Locust.

#14 Kaijin

• 2,137 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

The Locust doesn't stand a chance in MWO unless hit detection on it is even wonkier than on the Spider.

#15 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

I can't wait! Why? Because the last time I piloted a Locust it looked something like this:

(Locust shows up at 1:00.)

#16 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:08 AM

View PostBront, on 10 October 2013 - 08:22 AM, said:

Except they mentioned specifically in a Q/A that it won't be an issue and will be implemented for the Locust.

If that is the case then yay but I will not be holding my breath for it. They have changed their stance quiet often this year for me to be anything but skeptical; since, I believe that it was a Q/A that Bryan stated that they will keep 3rd/1st and 1st only separate queues.

#17 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

As stated above, the dev's are going to make an exception to the speed cap for the locust so good news there.

On another note I am very much looking forward to one shot kills on fool locust pilots who try to peak over a ridge for a bit too long.

Edited by Vodrin Thales, 10 October 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#18 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:23 AM

View PostFireSlade, on 10 October 2013 - 09:08 AM, said:

If that is the case then yay but I will not be holding my breath for it. They have changed their stance quiet often this year for me to be anything but skeptical; since, I believe that it was a Q/A that Bryan stated that they will keep 3rd/1st and 1st only separate queues.

The Q/A I think is the lastest one posted, and since they're talking about next week, I think they have a pretty clear idea of what' happening regarding next week...

Darn if I can't find it though. Might be Q/A 49.

#19 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

View PostJohn Wolf, on 10 October 2013 - 06:58 AM, said:

The Locust is one of those childhood mechs since I got into Battletech via Decision at Thunder Rift. It will be nice to pilot it in a game like this. If its not a lemon, it might be my light of choice, depending on how I can tweak the little gnat.

This.

#20 Wispsy

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

If the enemy team has more then 1 mech with at least 2ssrms the locust will be completely useless and die before it can do anything...considering most games have at least 6 ppl with ssrms floating about...speed means nothing when people do not have to aim.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users