32 replies to this topic

#-19 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

I prefer the XL200 over the XL195, as the extra space you save with a HS in the engine lets you mount Endo and FF if you want comfortably.

#-18 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:52 PM

View PostArn Cronkar, on 08 October 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

All my units have Endo-steel, and while the added bonus of FF would make it nicer in combat the speed at which you move with just the XL 195 is sufficient enough, I've found, to avoid getting hit. However I'd like to see your load-out if you use the 'mech lab website. I'm up for all ideas for Commandos, for instance the 3A could be used as a light support given 2 LRM 5s, two medium lasers and a BAP. Once again proving the Commando is much more versatile than other lights. But please do send me what you can do with the XL 200.

I've used this 2D for a while, though I think I like this one better.

I didn't keep the 1B or 3A once I finished those. Didn't care for them, though my best w/l ratio is with the 3A (and strangely my worst K/D ratio)

#-17 Eldane

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:46 PM

Cmd-3A with 2 mpls and 2 ssrms is some of the most fun I have ever had in this game!

And sdr's will fear you...

I've Mastered all 4 cbill cmd's and usually run an xl 200 or 210...though the 195 would allow me to run 3 ssrms and a med laser instead of the small laser I run on my 2d, it's a bit expensive in this day and age and I'm not entirely sure it would benefit my other mandos.

(I should also mention I am horrible with srms on lights)

If I remember. When I'm not on my phone I'll post some links to my finalized builds for all my lil bastids, it's entirely possible to rack up 500 dmg and 3-5 kills in these, and they are widely considered one of, if not "THE" the worst light.

People knock the rvn-2x and 4x as well but both can also be very solid with the right build/playstyle.

Edited by Eldane, 11 October 2013 - 02:57 PM.

#-16 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:36 AM

I wouldnt say all of them should run an XL195. The Deaths Knell can use an XL 210, still have the 4 medium lasers, and plenty left over for heat sinks and armor. TDK is like the 1B only a little bit better with the 4th beam weapon slot.

good posts, I love my Commandos as well.

#-15 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:39 AM

Great post, good tips! Commando pride!
Heres a fun build BTW TDK with 2 LL and an XL 195

ATTENTION commando pilots, I feel safe letting this secret out here as it will attract mostly commando pilots.
Commando REAR side torso hit boxes are non existent. Go look in the mech lab, i swear it. I utilise this little secret to great success. 21 armor on the front side torso's, 3 on the rear side torso's, I havent been killed from rear side torso damage ever, and I use XLs. The downside to this is you have to have a bit more rear CT armor. My front CT has 20 armor and what ever is left goes to rear... I think its 18 or so.

Edited by DONTOR, 14 October 2013 - 07:44 AM.

#-14 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

Here's what my stable of Commandos currently look like:

COM-1B "Li'l Horror"
COM-1D "Ghetto Panther"
COM-2D "Standard Streak+ECM"
COM-3A "Surprise!"
Death's Knell "Standard"

I mostly run the TDK (for that extra cash) or the 3A these days, but I've had a lot of fun in the other variants as well - except for the 2D after ECM arrived. I've run it about ten matches since then and it always feels like cheating; it has a 6.0 KDR...

Edit: I have about 1,000 drops in total in Commandos. I love the little buggers to death :ph34r:

Edited by stjobe, 14 October 2013 - 08:07 AM.

#-13 Eldane

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

View PostArn Cronkar, on 13 October 2013 - 02:30 PM, said:

Running a SRM COM-3A or COM-2D is a little challenging but pretty fun once you get the hang of it down. Someone once called my little 3A a tiny atlas, and that's what I kinda think of them lol. Yeah there are not many Commando fans around, how do you like the 1D Eldane? I have not been able to find a "great" way to use it, you know something that stands out from the other variants.

I settled on 2 ml, 2 ssrms, and bap. He's a good little skirmisher when I need him to be but I try to hang back a bit whenever possible.

Having both lasers in one arm means I can't play it as more of a brawler like I tend to run the 3a.

#-12 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:05 PM

View PostArn Cronkar, on 14 October 2013 - 04:18 PM, said:

Speaking of which could you show me your load-out or experimental load-outs you've came up with for the Death Knell? Id be interested in seeing what people can do with an all energy COM.

stjobe has a post a few up that lists his buildouts. His Death Knell "Standard" is exactly what I run. Its pretty much what everybody runs on a TDK. It's a nice commando, I am still torn between which is better, the TDK or the COM-2D "Streakmando" but they are both a barrel of laughs :P

#-11 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:24 PM

Be sure to try out small pulse lasers in place of mediums. Some people (myself included) find the faster firing and shorter beam easier to get the damage on target with. Others don't like the short range, but it's worth checking out for yourself.

I'm currently running a 3A with 2x MPL, and SRM6 using a 200XL, a 2D with ML and 3x SSRM2 (I shaved armor to get the 200XL in there) and Death's Knell with 4x SPL.

I'm also looking forward to the fabled light mech buffs as it sounds like the mighty mando will be able to pack a bigger engine.

#-10 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:39 AM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 14 October 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

Be sure to try out small pulse lasers in place of mediums. Some people (myself included) find the faster firing and shorter beam easier to get the damage on target with. Others don't like the short range, but it's worth checking out for yourself.

I'm currently running a 3A with 2x MPL, and SRM6 using a 200XL, a 2D with ML and 3x SSRM2 (I shaved armor to get the 200XL in there) and Death's Knell with 4x SPL.

I'm also looking forward to the fabled light mech buffs as it sounds like the mighty mando will be able to pack a bigger engine.

I played it with those for quite a while, but then I went back to the medium laser. I liked the range and higher damage total better.

#-9 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

TDK with 2 LL has less heat than 4 medims and way more range. same burn time aswell (or very near). Its also unexpected from a commando. I use the XL 195 and you cando both lasers in one arm (with maxed armor) which i did for a while,but it still got blown off. So i switched to one in each arm with half armor on each arm and this works much better.

Edited by DONTOR, 15 October 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#-8 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

OH man! If the formula I found when googling is correct and Commando with a 240 engine and speed tweak will go 171kph. I an euphoric shock! :) :D :)

#-7 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:09 AM

My COM-3A

I also run a COM-1B with the same engine, an ERLL, and two MLs with 12 heat sinks and max armour.

Admittedly, an XL180 is on the slower side, but I've got tweak, so it's not bad.

On the 3A, I've been toying with the idea of running SRM4s+Artemis instead of SRM6s. Twelve missiles hit hard but a lot gets splashed all over the torso. I'm thinking the extra accuracy might help get those core shots.

#-6 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

its a new game for us commando pilots now gentleman! 170 KPH TDK!

#-5 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, this should be... different. Surprised they didn't let you stop closer to 160 to let the locust be just a bit faster.

#-4 M4jk

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCZ

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 15 October 2013 - 11:13 AM, said:

its a new game for us commando pilots now gentleman! 170 KPH TDK!

Seems I will have to wipe dust from my good old TDK, I've been neglecting it in favor of spiders last few months:)

If I remember well I was using STD200 engine in TDK, I am pretty sure I will give a try the 240XL one and will still have a 0.5 tons bonus, can not wait for that:)

EDIT:
I can tell you, these 171,1 kph are just FURIOUS!!! Sometimes having problem to handle it a little bit:)))) But I really like it!

Edited by M4jk, 15 October 2013 - 02:17 PM.

#-3 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:40 PM

XL240, 4ML, fill it with heat sinks. Oh. Yes.

S

#-2 M4jk

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 51 posts
  • LocationCZ

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:48 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 15 October 2013 - 01:40 PM, said:

XL240, 4ML, fill it with heat sinks. Oh. Yes.

S

Exactly., I think i will start calling it TTDK = The Turbo Death Knell :)

#-1 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostM4jk, on 15 October 2013 - 02:48 PM, said:

Exactly., I think i will start calling it TTDK = The Turbo Death Knell :P

And here's what I didn't realize: It can run up walls at 171.1. There are numerous new paths up in Canyon Network now for a hold-on-for-dear-life fast Commando. Fun!

S

#0 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:05 PM

Mmm... I guess its nice this thread popped up.

I'm grinding the Commandos (if only to troll the Locust population) and I'm curious as to what Commandos other than the 2D (which I'm grinding) and the TDK (since that is MC only) that I should be looking at to grind out.

I see the 1B being energy heavy like the TDK... and the only thing that seems to be different between the 1D and the 3A is the hardpoint locations for the most part.

It just seems to be worth reevaluating after the engine cap increase...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users