Why Does Mwo Hate The Gtx 780?

35 replies to this topic

#1 GrishdaFish

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

So, today I finally picked up my GTX 780 Classified and tried to fire up mwo. I get into a game, and to my horror, I am getting about 10-14 fps. My 560 TI gave me 40+ while streaming. Why is it that this game runs this horribly, on this powerful of a card? Is there any tips or ideas on why I am getting such TERRIBLE frames on this game? All of my other games are a silky smooth 60 fps. its not the card.

For the record, my system is as follows:

AMD FX8350 @ 4.0 GHZ
EVGA GTX 780 Classified @ factory clocks
8 GB of 1333 MHZ Ram.

Edit:
A friend of mine is having similar problems on a 780, but not the classified. Hes getting about 20-30 fps on medium settings.

Edited by GrishdaFish, 04 October 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#2 stinkypuppy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 153 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the great plains of canada

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

i have a GTX 780. I'm not getting the problem, usually i do get some frame drops though. i get like about 40 or so out of combat and if heavy fighting is going on all view able on screen and weapon effects are flying everywhere it can drop to like 20-30. haven't gotten any of your issues. could be a problem with the gtx 780 variation. sometimes certain games hate certain cards, for example some of the older games i had on my computer before installing the new card (had old games on because my old card could barely play arma 2) ran fine on my old card. got the GTX 780 which is like 25x better than my old one and it gets a huge amount of instability on them from crashes to full out unbelievable frame drop because of the old outdated effects built for the cards of that time.

P.S. i play MWO on the highest settings. and i have never experienced a crash in the game ever, one time i thought i disconnected from a game but it turns out the dumb roomba vacuum robot tried sucking up the power cord and unplugged the router. those damn auto vacuums are terrible if you play video games cause their bound to **** everything up. i caught it trying to eat a GameCube controller once.

#3 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:35 PM

I'd hazard a guess that it means nvidia needs to release a driver update; but I couldn't say for sure. I'm exactly one generation behind you, on a GTX680, and the game runs quite well (if not nearly as well as it should, for how it looks).

#4 Dr B00t

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 496 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:40 PM

first off...MWO doesnt have a 64 bit client...so u are using only up to 2gigs
secondly PGI doesnt use their sponsors enough (nvidia crytek)
thirdly they need an actual c-bill sale...its ******* launch

#5 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostDr B00t, on 04 October 2013 - 12:40 PM, said:

first off...MWO doesnt have a 64 bit client...so u are using only up to 2gigs
secondly PGI doesnt use their sponsors enough (nvidia crytek)
thirdly they need an actual c-bill sale...its ******* launch

A 32bit system can address up to 3gB. MWO is a 32bit client. MWO uses CPU based physics, so a fast CPU will make a huge difference.

#6 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:16 PM

Actually a 32-bit system can address 4GB of memory, but Windows will cap any program that isn't "large address aware" at 2GB.

#7 Roland

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

I've recently gotten a new machine with a GTX 670, and I'm experiencing the same kind of thing as the OP in MWO.

Something seems to be really messed up.

The game will start at s nice 60 FPS, pegged, but then "something" happens, and the FPS drops to sub 30.

for reference, I'm running:
16 Gb of RAM
GTX 670 with 2Gb of video ram
CPU is an i7 4770

Is there any reason why this machine should not be able to run this game at max settings, and pull 60 fps? I have the newest drivers installed, and I've been monitoring the hardware... the temperature on all the components are within spec... but something starts happening and just pegging the {Scrap} out of the GPU, and I have no idea what is causing it.

I've also noticed that there are numerous threads that are archived in this forum about other folks who have had GTX 670's, and had similar sounding framerate issues. However, those threads seem to have gotten closed without any real resolution.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

#8 Smitti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 475 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFrog-blasting between BioVent Core #88A and #88B

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

I've also noticed rather underwhelming performance from my recently installed gtx770, upgraded from a gtx660. Not experiencing frame rates quite as bad but it's certainly not what I expected.

#9 Kaspirikay

• Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:04 PM

I'm running a GTX 660, no issues from me. Most maps my machine can hit 85 fps, except on frozen city with a blizzard. Then it drops to an average of 55.

#10 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

1. System Power Options = Best Performance
2. Nvidia Power Management Mode to Prefer Performance

On top of that, as mentioned it is likely due to some sort of driver issue as there are threads in other games exhibiting similar FPS issues.

A suggestion if using EVGA Precision is to uninstall it, including the profiles (do not save profiles) ( I would say any graphic card software at this point).

http://forums.evga.c...ge=1&print=true

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 04 October 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#11 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:20 PM

Driver problems, it's that simple, I'm quite sure
Deinstall all nvidia drivers manually and install latest driver

I get up to 90 fps, and low 50's to high 40's in heavy combat on my gtx 780, standard variant, not overclocked (but my i5 is)
Also like Tarl Cabot said, preference maximum performance in energy options and nvidia settings

I have every setting on very high in MWO, and all settings in driver section on best looks too (including AA, not that it works in MWO)
Resolution is 2560x1080

Also it might help to delete the shader cache folder of MWO in the user folder, or maybe even reinstalling MWO
Got problems a few months ago, and they there gone after reinstalling MWO(repair didn't help)

#12 Roland

• 8,260 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

View PostPeter2k, on 04 October 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

Driver problems, it's that simple, I'm quite sure
Deinstall all nvidia drivers manually and install latest driver

I get up to 90 fps, and low 50's to high 40's in heavy combat on my gtx 780, standard variant, not overclocked (but my i5 is)
Also like Tarl Cabot said, preference maximum performance in energy options and nvidia settings

I have every setting on very high in MWO, and all settings in driver section on best looks too (including AA, not that it works in MWO)
Resolution is 2560x1080

Also it might help to delete the shader cache folder of MWO in the user folder, or maybe even reinstalling MWO
Got problems a few months ago, and they there gone after reinstalling MWO(repair didn't help)

It's not a driver issue, as I'm running the latest ones released just a few days ago.
The shader cache has already been deleted.

From testing, it appears that it has something to do with the "effects" setting in the graphics. I can run with everything maxxed, but with effects low, and it runs at a perfect 60 fps at 1680x1050.

However, if I bump up the effects settings, to very high, then what happens is that a game will start at 60 fps, but after a minute or two something collapses behind the scenes and the framerate drops to sub thirty.

It's nothing so simple as "old drivers". I suspect it's more related to the fact that the cryengine 3 has some issues with kepler based NVidia cards, mainly focused on DX9 I believe. It's possible that DX11 may fix this, or even perhaps just upgrading the cry engine may fix it (I'm not sure if MWO is running on the newest stuff right now), as similar issues were reported with the GTX 670 against the Cryengine 3 (not within MWO, mind you) last year.

#13 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:27 AM

funny fact: i play on the good old gtx260 and still get about 40 fps, which is quite well playable. the only issue i had was suffering from heat, which made my frames drop to 10 and lower regularly for a while (gfx memory was kinda bottlenecking due to the heat).

buying a customcooler solved this, cause that one makes the card 20-30°C cooler, but in MWO, i still have to force the coolers to 80% speed, on the default 40% it still runs too hot, causing the periodical fps drops.

Edited by Alex Warden, 05 October 2013 - 12:33 AM.

#14 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 05 October 2013 - 12:48 AM

View PostKaspirikay, on 04 October 2013 - 07:04 PM, said:

I'm running a GTX 660, no issues from me. Most maps my machine can hit 85 fps, except on frozen city with a blizzard. Then it drops to an average of 55.

Same here.

Exactly the same here, actually. Even before setting NVidia power-option to high performance (thanks for that tip, Tarl).

Frozen City really seems messed up BTW. It's the only map where I occasionally get FPS dips into the reds (15 FPS or so). Happened to me and a squaddie when we were in lights and ran into a huge formation of enemy and friendly Mechs fighting at close range. Thermal vision also seems to contribute quite a bit to this behaviour.

Oh and BTW: i5 4670k (OCed to 4.1/4.2), 2x4 GB of Corsair 1600 DDR3, Win 8 64.

S.

Edited by 1Sascha, 09 October 2013 - 01:15 AM.

#15 P5YCO

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 01:53 AM

I'd suggest some driver issue as the GPU is more than capable.

I run GTX560Ti in 2x SLi, ok I only get one GPU on MWO but i'm still rocking 60+ fps on most maps, drops to 40-50 in battle. I have an i7 2600k so that pushes the game and physics along nicely.

Edited by P5YCO, 05 October 2013 - 01:53 AM.

#16 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:00 AM

I guess you already tried something like 3Dmark and compared you're performance with similar systems?
Only MWO suffers, and other games got a good boost over you're old graphics card?

#17 GrishdaFish

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 03:55 AM

Ive actually fixed the problem. I did a fresh install of the beta drivers and set my card to the second set of bios and restarted my computer and now I get 60 steady fps while not streaming. Vsync seems to be forced at the moment, but Im happy now that its not 10. I dont know which of those things actually fixed it, but its a place to start.

#18 Al Bert

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:10 AM

It is not a driver issue at all i assume. Sounds like the game is using the on-board graphic as default. Go to the nvidia system control and force the game to use your new shiny gtx780 :)

#19 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 October 2013 - 04:36 AM

View PostGrishdaFish, on 05 October 2013 - 03:55 AM, said:

Ive actually fixed the problem. I did a fresh install of the beta drivers and set my card to the second set of bios and restarted my computer and now I get 60 steady fps while not streaming. Vsync seems to be forced at the moment, but Im happy now that its not 10. I dont know which of those things actually fixed it, but its a place to start.

Best guess? The drivers.
Could always be that windows didn't correctly installed them by itself.
Reinstalling them probably did the trick. If it was the bios than the card would be damaged or something like that.

Anyway congrats mate.

P.S. I'm using evga's tool to override my lcd's refresh rate from 60Hz to 75Hz, does make quite a bit of difference

Edited by Peter2k, 05 October 2013 - 04:40 AM.

#20 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:23 AM

See sig for my full specs.

I have a 780 classified with a OC on it. No problems here.

I run Driver version 326.41 and immportantly, i do NOT have Nvidia experiance or any of the other Nvida drivers installed. i JUST have the main Graphics drivers. If you read the EVGA forums u will have seen that some people would have issue with degrading performance over time, and it was caused by some kind of interaction between the main drivers and Nvidia's other bundled software. i dont know if this is fixed in later drivers but it may be somthign u could try out.

Ingame settings i have a custom user cfg file (which doesnt really work naymore) but bassicaly im runnign max settings and im also running at a downsampled resolution. GPU usuage is usualy between 50% and 70%. FPS capped at 60 except during the odd weired game engine related issues, even then it only spike to done to 45-50 for a second or 2.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users