287 replies to this topic

#21 Red October911

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 211 posts
  • LocationMTL,Quebec

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:08 AM

Definitely would have to go with Timber wolf, because it was the first mech I fell in love with as a young boy and so has a big place in my heart. Still love the Mad Dog however, it is a fearful mech, but I find the Timber Wolf to be that much deadlier and devastating to those free birth scum :D

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Summoner, Hellbringer or Supernova would love to see those added in the future :)

#22 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:26 AM

To the OP, about hitboxes: Sure the Timberwolf is going to have an exposed cockpit, but I reaaallly doubt it will be worse than the catapult; PGI has finally learned that mechs have to be hard to headshot.

The Mad Dog's CT, however... well, it's going to be DOA. Every bit as bad as the Dragon's, but the arms won't protrude to cover the sides. Since Bryan has also confirmed that clan tech is in for a big rebalance, don't count on the cLRM20s retaining their ability to hit targets under 180m. I do really want to see it though- alt config A has an ER PPC, LBX5, and six SRM6. That's just bananas. I almost guarantee the standard build will become ER PPC + 6 streak SRM6.

#23 Nodachi07

Rookie

• The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:08 AM

For the timberwolf, i don't think they will have the missile launcher "ears" stick out as much as previous MW games. Looking at how they revamped the catapults missile launcher bays, I believe they will use a similar design that streamlines its look.

#24 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

Couldn't you ask me an easier question, like "Which of your children is your favourite?", "What is the last digit of pi?", or "What is the meaning of life?"

I love them both, but ultimately, I think it would come down to the Mad Dog.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 20 October 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#25 LiGhtningFF13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 20 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

Good question! I think all clan variants are pretty impressive.

#26 Plasticcaz

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 19 posts
  • LocationWestern Australia

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:38 PM

Can hardly pick! After watching this as a little kid, those were the two mechs I most often played as in Mech Warrior 2.

http://youtu.be/HCUksbrejd4 (Clan Wolf Intro for MW2)

When I think of MechWarrior, these are the two mechs I think of. (I also remember the Summoner from the MW2 opening) Come to think of it, MW2 has shaped my view of the Battletech Universe

I guess I'd probably pick the Maddog as it's the lighter of the two...

By the way, I had no idea up until a few weeks ago that the Mad Dog was a heavy mech. I always thought it was a medium, as it was near the beginning of the mech list in Mech Warrior 2 from memory.

Edited by Plasticcaz, 20 October 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#27 BookWyrm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • Menig Første Klasse
  • 365 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:32 PM

Summoner or Shadowcat

Edited by BookWyrm, 20 October 2013 - 11:32 PM.

#28 Sharp Spikes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSochi, Russia

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:44 PM

Ice Ferret Prime or Stormcrow B :D

Oh, and how could I forget my qute little Gargoyle C! 80 kph assault with 6 ERMdL + 1 UAC/20 = lots of fun.

Edited by Sharp Spikes, 20 October 2013 - 11:55 PM.

#29 RadioKies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 419 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:23 AM

The mad dog because it reminds me of this:
Posted Image

#30 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:10 AM

View PostPlasticcaz, on 20 October 2013 - 10:38 PM, said:

When I think of MechWarrior, these are the two mechs I think of. (I also remember the Summoner from the MW2 opening) Come to think of it, MW2 has shaped my view of the Battletech Universe

Totally the same for me. I still play MW2 sometimes :)

#31 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:49 PM

View PostSharp Spikes, on 20 October 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

Ice Ferret Prime or Stormcrow B :)

Oh, and how could I forget my qute little Gargoyle C! 80 kph assault with 6 ERMdL + 1 UAC/20 = lots of fun.

Pfff. You can do that in a mech 30 tons lighter, ez! No XL engine, either. Even with our pathetic IS tech I've got a hunchback that does 5ml + ac20 at mid 70s.

With clan tech, there's no excuse not to have double UAC20s + 5 erml in a gargoyle. :rolleyes:

#32 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

View Postaniviron, on 21 October 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

Pfff. You can do that in a mech 30 tons lighter, ez! No XL engine, either. Even with our pathetic IS tech I've got a hunchback that does 5ml + ac20 at mid 70s.

With clan tech, there's no excuse not to have double UAC20s + 5 erml in a gargoyle. :)

Clan XLs are not killed when one side torso is taken out (need both ST or CT to kill).

#33 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:51 PM

I'd love a Stone Rhino (see sig), but i've been waiting for the Mad Dog. Although i prefer the Prime variant and if PGI think LRM's are fine as they are...well they suck. And so do LRM's :)

#34 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:33 PM

View PostFireSlade, on 21 October 2013 - 07:10 PM, said:

Clan XLs are not killed when one side torso is taken out (need both ST or CT to kill).

I know; I just meant that IS tech still lets you do the first build but with a standard engine in a medium pretty easily.

And XLs are still a bigger risk; it sounds like it's not a big deal, "Oh, if I lose both sides I die, might as well have been dead anyway," which will continue to be the case if MWO's crit system doesn't improve. But the plan has always been that three engine crits means death, which makes you incredibly fragile if you lose one ST.

But yes, they're much better than IS engines.

#35 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:06 PM

If they release timber wolf as the heavy in a phoenix-style package, they've made $60 right there. That's like looking into the community's soul and offering their heart's desire.

And then clearly mad dog and summoner will be needed also :) ahem. and stormcrow.

Edited by CtrlAltWheee, 21 October 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#36 Ghostchips Condensate I and II

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 97 posts
  • LocationSouthern Islands

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

How does one decide? (By the way Did the stone rhino fans play one in AT1? Unlike MW4 in AT1 they fell over on uneven terrain & crushed their entire undercarriage)

#37 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:41 AM

View PostArchon, on 12 October 2013 - 05:30 AM, said:

The Stone Rhino. That is all.

http://www.sarna.net...ted_BattleMechs

Good god, I forgot about that thing. There would be torrents of tears if the King Crab was released - imagine the uproar if PGI released a mech that could pulverize a lance of them and dine on crabcakes.

And then there's always this:

Posted Image

#38 Sharp Spikes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationSochi, Russia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:42 AM

View Postaniviron, on 21 October 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

With clan tech, there's no excuse not to have double UAC20s + 5 erml in a gargoyle. :)

From what I have read about clan tech implementation in MWO it'll be impossible to change engine, armour, number of base heatsinks or internal structure type (customization of clan tech will abide omnimech customization rules from TT).
So, it'll be impossible to change 400XL in Gargoyle to some lighter engine or to add endo steel structure, and because of that it'll be impossible to install pair of UAC/20s on Gargoyle.

But even Gargoyle with single UAC/20 piloted by trueborn clan warrior is enough to wipe you, dirty Inner Sphere surats, from the face of the universe. :o :rolleyes:

Edited by Sharp Spikes, 22 October 2013 - 12:43 AM.

#39 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

View PostSharp Spikes, on 22 October 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

From what I have read about clan tech implementation in MWO it'll be impossible to change engine, armour, number of base heatsinks or internal structure type (customization of clan tech will abide omnimech customization rules from TT).
So, it'll be impossible to change 400XL in Gargoyle to some lighter engine or to add endo steel structure, and because of that it'll be impossible to install pair of UAC/20s on Gargoyle.

But even Gargoyle with single UAC/20 piloted by trueborn clan warrior is enough to wipe you, dirty Inner Sphere surats, from the face of the universe. :o :)

Don't believe anything you hear about clan tech customization on the forums. What you have read isn't people quoting official sources, it's them throwing out wild speculations about how it will work, all of which has been met by complete silence from the devs. If IS mech customization followed the BT rules at all, we wouldn't be able to change engines OR weapons beyond minor modifications on the Battlemechs we have now either.

And hey, who are you calling a trashborn! I demand a trial of grievance. >:[ Just because the invasion has come and almost gone without us being able to select the factions we really want, doesn't mean I'm an IS pilot! I note that you have a Steiner icon next to your name too.. :rolleyes:

#40 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:33 AM

View Postaniviron, on 22 October 2013 - 01:14 AM, said:

And hey, who are you calling a trashborn! I demand a trial of grievance. >:[ Just because the invasion has come and almost gone without us being able to select the factions we really want, doesn't mean I'm an IS pilot! I note that you have a Steiner icon next to your name too.. :)

Hey trashborn brother, you do not need to be a trueborn and blabla to serve with glory your Clan :D Phelan Kell and Horse are my heroes! :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users