Not Sure Which Assault Class To Start With... Misery?

29 replies to this topic

#1 Damoadius

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAustralia.

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:18 PM

MISERY-D13

Theres a theoretical build i would do... But is it worthy? (Updated build, no more ferro-fibrous lies! :ph34r:)

Or should i be looking at another class? Highlander? Atlas?

:/ Ive decided against ANY missles. Havent tried PPCs yet. Not interested in storing ammo in my legs(dafuq). AC-20s are good. But this design was intended as a brawler. I tend to over-balance for short and long ranges(hence the ERLLaser). But ive challenged these mechs up close in my Muromets... With help from a light I won but was genuinely terrified the entire battle.

Thanks again guys. Cant wait to roll out in this baby \m/

Edited by Damoadius, 01 November 2013 - 11:24 PM.

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:41 PM

If you like the Misery, get it. It is a superb assault mech. That build is meh though, for me anyway.

This would be better
MISERY

This is what is run in the competitive scene, but not everyone enjoys it.
MISERY

If you like gauss rifles, remember that an AC20 with 4 tons of ammo weighs the same as a gauss with 3 tons of ammo, so you can swap things around if you like. The almost nonexistent heat on gauss can be pretty nice.

Edited by Roughneck45, 01 November 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#3 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

I agree with Roughneck. The Stalker in general, and the Misery in particular, is an excellent Assault mech. I also think it's one of the easier Assault chassis to have success in right out of the gate when solo PUGing. The Stalker packs enormous firepower, and can really take a beating. A Misery with an AC/20 will decimate anything it looks at. Freakin love this mech.

I like "in your face" brawling, so my Misery build is this:

STD310
AC/20
5 MLs
20 or so DHS

However, I have seen all kinds of creative (and brutally effective) Misery builds. It really is a pretty flexible variant.

Edited by NRP, 01 November 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#4 SquawkHawk

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 51 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

Hey Damoadius, just be aware that Endo Steel is always the better Upgrade compared with Ferro Fibrous Amour.
They both take 14 space but for your Misery Endo will give you 4 tons but Ferro will only give you 1.75 tons.
Ferro does NOT make your armor better or allow you to put on more, it just makes the armour you have on lighter.

#5 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,377 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

People either Hate or Really like Gauss, if you do try this build Misery

#6 Damoadius

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAustralia.

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:06 PM

Far out guys, cheers! Very helpful! I havent bought one yet but will very soon :ph34r:

SquawkHawk! Really!? /facepalm. Here I am thinking that it DID provide better protection, as the term "ferro-fibrous" logically (well... To me anyway) describes an armour charasteristic similar to how ceramic armour works today. Where as in weathering steel(used commonly in architecure and construction) this term to me describes an attribute of a high iron content in the steel armour or fibrous layers of this compound. Effectivley, when steel rusts(higher the iron content, the easier it rusts) its molecular surface area increases. When a projectile hits this, its force is dispersed by these fragments of rust, over a larger area.

...I think...

#7 MarauderBronze

• PipPip
  • Talon
  • Talon
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:23 PM

This build consistently gets me 650+ dmg/PUG
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ac24306b0d5d979

#8 AlphaTango7

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 01:22 PM

My first assault mech wasnt the Misery, but I got the Stalker 3F which was a fun mech. The lack of a ballistic point kinda turned me off as Im not a fan of the missles in this game. But it was a beast of a mech. If you like to be a front line mech this is a good mech to do it in.

After the Stalker I bought a HIghlander 733C which has upped my damage quite a bit.

AC 20
SRM 6 x3
Med Laser x2
300 std Engine

2 Alpha strikes will destroy most components, and bring a CT to red or yellow. My only gripe about this build is the lack of a weapons system that can do long range combat. While you have the AC20, I try to only use around 5-6 shots for long range combat. Also the horizontal reach of the Stalker is 0 while the Highlander cant fully aim to the side. jump jets are more awesome and handy then people make them out too be.

That being said, I believe that assault mechs should be frontline brawlers. Making the push, even if it means dieing, that everyone else cant do. You should be upfront and hitting the other mechs hard while your team chips away at them. I also believe light mechs should always flank and try to start panic in the enemies lines.

Summery : Ive only owned a Stalker and Highlander, and I think either would be a good choice.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:23 PM

Kon's Misery

Famous for going toe to toe against both a 4 ER PPC Stalker and a 4 PPC + Gauss Atlas at the same time, the rig continues to prove itself day after day. (The difference is at the time, 3 SL, UAC/5, Streak, 2 PPC and without BAP, I couldn't fire streaks every time they shut down and the UAC jammed far too often).

Recent vids.

First match is the Misery in a controlled environment (organized combat).

Misery in chaotic combat (no organization, enemies on multiple sides). Fight starts about 7 mins in and gets intense about 9 minutes in. Still there's plenty of humor throughout.

Other famous Kon Stalker rigs:

Good luck out there!

#10 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:27 PM

OP- I'd avoid the medium pulse lasers. Their range of 180 is just too short to use, they weight twice as much, and generate more heat than a medium laser. Their only positive characteristic is that the beam lasts .4s shorter, which doesn't make up for all those downsides.

5 tons of ammo for one gun is probably too much- try starting with 3, and if you run out, add more. A good general rule is 2 tons per gun, though. On that note, don't bother with CASE, just put a ton in the head and the rest in the legs. Those locations rarely get hit, and ammo only has a 10% chance to explode anyway.

You're much better off with an AC10 than an LB10. The LB10 spreads out damage even when at close range, which is a bad thing, and it that spread also means that at distances past 100m or so you're probably going to start missing pellets; at its max range you will be lucky to hit for 1-2 damage a shot. The AC10 lets you put damage where you want it more reliably and at longer ranges; it's very worth the extra ton and crit slot.

You'll be pretty undertonned and undergunned if you just make the changes I suggest with nothing else though; you could either upgrade to an ac20 or swap out the medium lasers for a pair of large lasers. Either of those two builds would be pretty solid, especially if you are willing to trade a little armor for an SRM6 on the ac20 build; in general, it's good to have a range where your weapons work well with one another, and the large laser + ac10 combo or mlas + ac20 combo are both hard to find fault with. Personally, if you want to brawl, I'd go with something like this.

Oh, and unless you find yourself getting hit by missiles a LOT, the AMS probably isn't worth it. In general, it's better to just play smart and avoid getting hit at all; the AMS won't make a dent in a cloud of 60+ missiles, and anything less means it's probably just a single LRM15 or smaller, which isn't worth devoting 2.5 tons to.

Edited by aniviron, 02 November 2013 - 02:29 PM.

#11 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:36 PM

I've tried alot of misery builds and the two most successfull by far are these two.

Std300 Gauss Sniper

Std300 AC20 Brawler

These are both pretty solid builds, The brawling build is pretty damn heat efficient and it has AMS and BAP for added utility but is completely devoted to brawling. The Sniper build offers good damage at 1000 meters with 2x ERLL and 1x Gauss rifle but lacks AMS and BAP and overheats easier once the fight gets close. Gauss is also farily easily destroyed.

#12 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 02 November 2013 - 02:52 PM

View PostDamoadius, on 01 November 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

MISERY-D13

Theres a theoretical build i would do... But is it worthy? (Updated build, no more ferro-fibrous lies! :D)

Or should i be looking at another class? Highlander? Atlas?

:/ Ive decided against ANY missles. Havent tried PPCs yet. Not interested in storing ammo in my legs(dafuq). AC-20s are good. But this design was intended as a brawler. I tend to over-balance for short and long ranges(hence the ERLLaser). But ive challenged these mechs up close in my Muromets... With help from a light I won but was genuinely terrified the entire battle.

Thanks again guys. Cant wait to roll out in this baby \m/

The whole point to run a standard engine with misery is the AC20 so with a little moving around and getting rid of a bit too much ammo you can run this which is pretty close to your original build and it packs a lot more punch. Sorry about putting the ammo in the legs but there is less chance for a killing ammo explosion saving .5 ton of weight and a crit.http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c338316d6619a68

If you decide to go the Highlander route and willing to pay for Misery then I would recommend Heavy Metal. This is my current build although there is missiles on it they do not lock making it fairly easy to use in battle. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ecffb974c3f88f3 The other thing to watch out for this mech can run hot but is easily countered with using control and the twin AC5s.

Good luck with which ever choice that you pick and good hunting.

Edited by FireSlade, 02 November 2013 - 02:52 PM.

#13 Damoadius

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAustralia.

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:44 PM

Whoah. Ive seriously studied more for MwO then ANY school exam! Everytime i feel comfortable with a build, someone points out clear issues and solutions.

Loving the help guys. Ill keep studying... But im still not sold on missles...

Cheers

#14 Damoadius

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAustralia.

Posted 02 November 2013 - 11:10 PM

Ok so... Heres a re-dux... I swear though... If my legs get blown off by spontaenious ammo eruption...

MISERY-D13

And what im thinking for the Highlander...

...HEAVY METAL-D13

Edited by Damoadius, 02 November 2013 - 11:29 PM.

#15 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:21 AM

View PostDamoadius, on 02 November 2013 - 11:10 PM, said:

Ok so... Heres a re-dux... I swear though... If my legs get blown off by spontaenious ammo eruption...

MISERY-D13

...HEAVY METAL-D13

The Misery looks pretty good! You might want to put your torso armor a little more forward-biased (I usually do 80-90% up front) but that mostly amounts to preference. In a Stalker though, your rear side torsi are hard to hit, and the front are very easy to hit; the CT is probably fine how it is. Just have to play around with it and see what works for you though. Only change I would make is to remove 1t of armor from each arm and drop in two more double heatsinks. The arms on a Stalker are hard to hit even if you're aiming for them, and I don't think I've ever seen one shot off for any reason besides "the side torso it was attached to blew up." Those two extra heatsinks will make a pretty big difference, though.

The Heavy Metal build looks ok, but I can't help but feel that it lacks a bit of punch for a mech that heavy. The 'standard' loadout on a highlander right now, the one that is considered to be the best, is 2xAC5 + 2xPPC; the double AC5s are pretty ruthless and the llas + 2mlas do pretty good damage, but the mlas make that damage a bit hard to use in range. Still, I'd say it's a very workable build; try it and see if you like it. My natural inclination for a HM build similar to yours would be something like this, but since I don't own any Highlanders, I couldn't say firsthand how well it works. :]

#16 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

View PostDamoadius, on 02 November 2013 - 11:10 PM, said:

MISERY-D13

...HEAVY METAL-D13

You never want left over tonnage. You don't need all that leg and arm armor either.
MISERY
You can get two more heatsinks in there with the armor adjusted. Personally I still think the firepower is pretty low. ER LL's and an AC20 don't mix very well, because you are going to want to be fighting in AC20 range and Standard LL's are better for that. I'd take the build I posted up top over this.

Same thing for the Heavy metal armor wise. PPC's are better than Lasers when you have jump jets because they are direct fire damage instead of burn over time.
HEAVY METAL
You'll get much better results with this.

Edited by Roughneck45, 03 November 2013 - 09:06 AM.

#17 Damoadius

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAustralia.

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:52 PM

All valid arguements... But im caught between the irony of being in an assault mech, yet i'm still over-comoensating :P That and my paranoia telling me youre all just out to leg me and watch me crawl xD

Duely noted on the overall tonnage issue. I had always noticed "Whoah, these guys run RIGHT on their mechs SWL"

Updated MISERY - D13

I used your updated version Roughneck. Removed ERLLs. Grouped LLs and MLs together (Before you say it, I have not noticed this done much... From my days playing "Chromehounds", i would always group similar weapons together) Let me guess, not smart?

#18 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:55 PM

It depends on heat, really. Having said that, most people group weapons of similar range.

#19 Damoadius

• PipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 50 posts
  • LocationAustralia.

Posted 03 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

I havent run this build as of yet so I cant tell you ahow it will go in a firefight... YET. Im topping up my MC soon and getting it for next patch day.

Plan is, MLs are for harrasment and survivability. LLs for pinpoint heat dmg. AC/20 to bring it home \m/

Only other idea would be to drop an ammo for another MLs on my torso?

...this is terrible... Im fantasizing about MwO WAY to much. Cant sleep. Mechmares...

#20 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 03 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

Yeah, i would run 3 weapon groups, the LL's, the mediums, then the AC20.

I'd also drop a ton of AC20 ammo for another mlas in the CT.

EDIT: Oh, you meant grouped in the same spot. Its a mixed bag. For this build i would do an even split so that if you lose a side torso it isn't as bad. However, youll notice the competitive Misery build i linked in the first post has the PPC's stacked. It turns the empty side of your mech into a shield, allowing you to torso twist and take punishment without fear of losing weapons.

Could try this
MISERY

Edited by Roughneck45, 03 November 2013 - 05:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users