178 replies to this topic

#161 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

Yes there are people who think like this have stated such to me when I inform them of my LRM loadout and in some forums. They're proud of this rambo complex they have.

#162 Charronn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 493 posts
  • LocationPictland

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 23 July 2014 - 10:01 AM, said:

There's an idiotic philosophy going around right now that if you hit R, people will steal your kill that you are entitled to. So don't hit R because someone might 'help' you at the 'wrong time' and you lose.

Another way to put this is: "Screw teamwork it's OP anyway and I'm Rambo."

I dunno if it's a bug while spectating but the amount of players that don't press R whilst fighting is stupid.Lighting up targets for your team is such a basic thing to do and helps the team.I don't understand why players don't do it more.

Edited by Charronn, 24 July 2014 - 08:38 AM.

#163 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,596 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

View PostSteinar Bergstol, on 24 July 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

Seriously? People think like this? Are they braindead or something? If somebody else shoots my target, then good job! Less time for that enemy to put holes in my mech!

Those people aren't present much at upper Elo rankings. They deserve their fate in Elo Hell. I don't imagine it's very widespread, however - you'd hear about it more on the forums, for one thing, and it's so counter-productive that people who do it aren't going to be successful enough to maintain their self-image.

#164 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:13 AM

In most cases the "R allergy" or "Rphobia" seems to not be conscious, but rather due to hyperfocus or intense attention to the other parts of the game such as killing that booger in front of you lest you be killed. It's the same reason people don't watch their mini-maps, and all can be afflicted at times. It's less in those of us who make our living through guided weaponry and precision shooting though.

#165 MilesTeg1982

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 255 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 24 July 2014 - 09:13 AM, said:

In most cases the "R allergy" or "Rphobia" seems to not be conscious, but rather due to hyperfocus or intense attention to the other parts of the game such as killing that booger in front of you lest you be killed. It's the same reason people don't watch their mini-maps, and all can be afflicted at times. It's less in those of us who make our living through guided weaponry and precision shooting though.

you may not like to hear that - but there are situations in the game where R isn't really usefull - espeacially when you have an enemie very close and triggerhappy lrm-boats in your team who don't really think - in such situation I actually don't use R because I don't want to get hit by friendly fire (can't tell you how many times that allready happend).

basic rule: don't fire LRMs at the enemie lights/meds close to your teammate, there is a good chance you hit your teammate because the enemie is using them for cover (which is a valid tactic).

a second situation are fast enemies who just pop out of cover or jump sniper - no point in getting a lock at an enemie when it will be lost a second later - that leads only to waste of ammo.

to sum it up
LRMs are only usefull when 1) the player who carries them know when to fire them and when not and 2) the teammate provide some support by locking targets in situations where LRMs are usefull

#166 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:52 PM

I'm not disagreeing with you. I only pointed out there is a cult of kooks running around out there who believe that hitting R is an enablement for kill stealing cowards while they being he-men are off doing all the work, so they'd rather lose than click R.

#167 mack sabbath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

9/10 times, the loudest ******* did less than 100 damage. Take that into consideration too.

#168 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

Though limited, it exists in ALL video games

http://youtu.be/Vn96kFe3DyE

#169 Daryl Liguid

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 August 2023 - 06:43 PM

one time i was so amazed with a teammate's paintjob on his mech. i was just looking at his mech, and he start saying " the f are you lookin at?'' and before i can reply he started shooting me. two of them.

another incident, i just saved a teammate from a light mech shooting him from behind. i was a few meters on his 3 oclock, i destroyed the light without hitting that teammate but then he started accussing me shooting him and starting to shoot me

#170 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 24 August 2023 - 07:48 PM

View PostDaryl Liguid, on 24 August 2023 - 06:43 PM, said:

one time i was so amazed with a teammate's paintjob on his mech. i was just looking at his mech, and he start saying " the f are you lookin at?'' and before i can reply he started shooting me. two of them.

another incident, i just saved a teammate from a light mech shooting him from behind. i was a few meters on his 3 oclock, i destroyed the light without hitting that teammate but then he started accussing me shooting him and starting to shoot me

Just report them and move on. There is nothing else you could do.

In the end, their team damage means that they are tanking their own match score.

Eventually, you will move to a higher Tier and you shall leave those people behind.

#171 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 541 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 05:28 AM

View PostReagusmech, on 20 October 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

Just started playing, and had the glory of seeing some guy called [redacted] from [redacted] harass a guy after killing him with 3 other lights non-stop all game with comments like "Mmmm tasty" and just kept on and on and on

I've seen it in other matches as well, and I just want to know why are people so overly hostile? It seems to be as toxic as League of Legends, and thats saying something.....

they probably have a lot of issues in the real world...or are unable to handle any single issue in the real world and vent on the web because they know(think) there are not consequences like getting punch in the face (though the thread of getting hit by a hacker is pretty real is you really mess with the wrong person) but it is not worst than LoL no way!

#172 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 25 August 2023 - 07:00 AM

#173 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 25 August 2023 - 07:09 AM

View PostReagusmech, on 20 October 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

Just started playing, and had the glory of seeing some guy called [redacted] from [redacted] harass a guy after killing him with 3 other lights non-stop all game with comments like "Mmmm tasty" and just kept on and on and on

I've seen it in other matches as well, and I just want to know why are people so overly hostile? It seems to be as toxic as League of Legends, and thats saying something.....
This is common in every online game you will have people who are just totally toxic and you will have people who are nice... it's the nature of the internet sadly.

just note that not everyone is like this and some people generally want to help, As for me I just get mad ,but I don't take it out on others, other than through words. But i typically don't team damage my allies on purpose. usually i take it out on myself by blowing myself up with overheat, trying to stop that honestly.

Edited by KursedVixen, 25 August 2023 - 07:12 AM.

#174 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 27 August 2023 - 10:31 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 24 July 2014 - 12:52 PM, said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. I only pointed out there is a cult of kooks running around out there who believe that hitting R is an enablement for kill stealing cowards while they being he-men are off doing all the work, so they'd rather lose than click R.

The other bad piece is not being aware that a shoulder (side torso) is ready to pop that has weapons/components/engine shielding in it, yet they are zero'd in on the CT that is still yellow. Or even worse, one leg gone and the other leg is ready to pop.

#175 Far Reach

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 August 2023 - 11:09 AM

View Postxhrit, on 21 October 2013 - 12:47 AM, said:

Fine, then. You are right. It was not a good game. Your team was pathetic. You lost because you suck - learn to play, n0ob, and next time you might be a better challenge for me.

Seriously.

You can be a poor sport all you want. While you are looking down your nose at all the so called clueless people who failed to carry your scrub self, I will be looking down my nose at you.

This, right up here? Disgusting. Keep that chip where it is, right on your shoulder - it helps regular people identify and avoid your brand of mental illness.

#176 PublicWifi

• PipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 25 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 August 2023 - 02:54 PM

I rarely see people taunt others. Maybe back in 2014.

#177 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 27 August 2023 - 06:07 PM

View PostPublicWifi, on 27 August 2023 - 02:54 PM, said:

I rarely see people taunt others. Maybe back in 2014.
i see it happen now and again not horribly common.

#178 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts

Posted 28 August 2023 - 07:51 AM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 20 October 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

First, never name and shame, or the moderators will sanction you. I'd edit your post, just in case!
http://mwomercs.com/...warrior-justice

As for the point of your OP, yeah, people are richards. I do happen to know of the person you mention (one of my clanmates plays regularly with him), and I can say he's quite competitive. Gloating will go with that, although I don't agree with it.

Generally this sort of smack talk isn't what I'd call the main hostility problem with the chat in this game - it's when people call each other out for being 'n00bs' or whatever without offering actual advice. On their own team or otherwise.

I hope you have better games!
this is common in all games veterans who are too full of thei own **** will just call players noobs and not offer any advice... they are the scum of the gamers.... don't pay attention to them block them if you want.

#179 GM Patience

Senior Customer Service Agent

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 August 2023 - 08:20 AM

This 2014 thread is now closed. If you feel the old thread should be discussed, please create a new thread to generate necessary interest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users