#41 Thaygood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 172 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe QC

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:35 PM

I call them the mean players and they don't know how to have a good time in the game, and act as if their lives depend on winning or they won't get a cookie...lol

Don't give up, stay with us and have a good time.

#42 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:57 PM

I get a little frustrated when my team gets rolled and someone on the other team types 'GG'. Because, no, it wasn't a good game. A good game is one where you don't know who is going to win until the very end. To that end, I NEVER type 'GG' unless I know that my team has lost at least 4 mechs. If my team gets rolled, then I type, "well-played enemy team". If I believe it truly was a good game and close, then I type 'gg'.

#43 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 06:06 PM

It seems people have a needlessly narrow definition of what can make a good game ...

#44 Troa Barton

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 356 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

View PostElizander, on 20 October 2013 - 06:21 AM, said:

Tell them that if they actually took hold of their mouse instead of using both hands on the keyboard during a match then maybe your team would have won.

lol

#45 Troa Barton

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 356 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 20 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

View Postmailin, on 20 October 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

I get a little frustrated when my team gets rolled and someone on the other team types 'GG'. Because, no, it wasn't a good game. A good game is one where you don't know who is going to win until the very end. To that end, I NEVER type 'GG' unless I know that my team has lost at least 4 mechs. If my team gets rolled, then I type, "well-played enemy team". If I believe it truly was a good game and close, then I type 'gg'.

You're misinterpreting, perhaps some people are being d'bags with the "GG Close", unless it was. But regardless, win or lose after every match i say gg. if i get rolled they did a very good job, and they deserve a gg. If my team rolls them gg, you fought valiantly in combat. don't take that one so seriously. its kind of like the good game handshakes after sports in P.E.

#46 blacklanner

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:24 PM

View PostTroa Barton, on 20 October 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

You're misinterpreting, perhaps some people are being d'bags with the "GG Close", unless it was. But regardless, win or lose after every match i say gg. if i get rolled they did a very good job, and they deserve a gg. If my team rolls them gg, you fought valiantly in combat. don't take that one so seriously. its kind of like the good game handshakes after sports in P.E.

Normally, I would agree with you. But since I recently learned that my drop into team selection is solely based on my win/loose ratio (you have a good W/L - ratio, so the matchmaking sys. puts you with others with worse ratios) I tend to be less forgiving. Following that logic, total wipe usually means that you loose not because of bad luck, or strategy, but because of matchmaking sys. (most of your team consists of bad or worse players than you). And visa versa - if your team wins, its probably because you have more better players than enemy team. So GG from the enemy after total wipe (12:0) in first minutes of the match really feels like mocking.

Please please please prove me wrong.

#47 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:48 PM

Because people come to the forum, make jokes about "CoD-Kids", scream "go back to CoD" at everyone who makes a suggestion they don't like and then press the "launch" button just to behave exactly like the 12 year old kids they despise so much.
It's a multiplayer game.
Be prepared for alot of 25 year old guys behaving like 12 year olds while screaming at others for behaving like a kid.
It doesn't matter if you play MWO, LoL, BF, CS, CoD or any multiplayer game out there with a decent playerbase. The anonymity of onlinegames misleads people into rude behavior no matter what they play.

Just ignore those idiots and don't let them spoil your fun.

#48 The Prince of Insufficient Light

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:02 AM

Some people are douchebags. Others have had just one too many games where half their team is running like headless chickens, because it was their turn to lose in the matchmaker lottery. The latter is much more common.

#49 fluffypinkbunny

Best Fluffy Bunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 583 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:31 AM

How selfish of you, OP to direct how others are to talk?! did you pay for their game, why do you get to tell them how to play?

I am a troll, (within the rules), because I like to play the game MY way. I rarely do things that cost my people to lose (when i'm playing in a team of unit members), but no matter what I play the way I want to. When somebody else starts paying for my game then they can ask/tell me how to play, or when it matters, then you can ask/tell me how to play.

Right now what do we get from playing, some money and some xp, what is that good for, mechs. WOOPIE, you lose, big deal, you win, big deal. PLAY TO HAVE FUN! what ever fun means to you thats what matters. Play to play, (not pay to play) this is a GAME first and foremost, if something bothers you, LEAVE.

If I'm dead I will often start talking trash, mostly because it seems to really cause anguish in the other team, which will cause my team to win. Any time anybody alive spends time typing, is time they don't spend shooting my friends. It's a tactic and a good one, to get into a discussion. I had a game where most of my team was dead, and I was a full health atlas at our base, (I didn't feel like making the stompy stompy walk across the ice in alpine) So what did I do, start chatting up the other team, what happened, one of their mechs stoped, to talk... I gaussed him in the head.

YOU SIR HAVE NO RIGHT TO TELL ME HOW TO PLAY. thank you.

#50 xhrit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 976 posts
  • LocationClan Occupation Zone

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:47 AM

View PostTraining Instructor, on 20 October 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

When I lose in a roll, and you say "GG", and you get my response of "DIAF", don't be too shocked. You deserve it, and I mean it. Clueless people steal oxygen from real humans.

Fine, then. You are right. It was not a good game. Your team was pathetic. You lost because you suck - learn to play, n0ob, and next time you might be a better challenge for me.

Seriously.

You can be a poor sport all you want. While you are looking down your nose at all the so called clueless people who failed to carry your scrub self, I will be looking down my nose at you.

Edited by xhrit, 21 October 2013 - 12:50 AM.

#51 CrashieJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 21 October 2013 - 12:56 AM

I really dont care for this game anymore

since PGI threw a bunch of things out the window like they always did, I feel that this game shouldn't have my money and I should look elsewhere

#52 Evil Ed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 527 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:37 AM

I try to keep calm, and more often then not gives my team a "gj team", or "we did our best" after the game. Sometimes I poke the chicken atlais to read up about the word "assault", but that's all. Sometimes gives the enemy protips, like yesterday on Canyon Network when I killed a stationary firebrand when jumping and constantly repositioning with my highlander, "Hey mr Firebrand, ju need to move and use terrain as cover, very easy to kill you when you don't move!". I think that's OK, and that the community is friendly in general.

#53 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:30 AM

View PostReagusmech, on 20 October 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

Just started playing, and had the glory of seeing some guy called [redacted] from [redacted] harass a guy after killing him with 3 other lights non-stop all game with comments like "Mmmm tasty" and just kept on and on and on

I've seen it in other matches as well, and I just want to know why are people so overly hostile? It seems to be as toxic as League of Legends, and thats saying something.....

This is a game for grown ups. It is a game where the goal is to blow up other people. This is not Hello Kitty Online. Trash talk is to be expected, as with most competitive games. You will be happiest in the long term is you cultivate an ability to ignore people you don't like. It is not as hard as it sounds.

The trash talk in this game is exactly the same I have seen in every other competitive game I have ever played on the PC since the early 90s. It is not new. Even if they establish rules to try to stop this behavior, people will still find ways around it. It is best to accept it and move on.

Edit: if "mmm tasty" is the worst thing you have seen so far, boy are you in for a shock.

Edited by Sadistic Savior, 21 October 2013 - 06:31 AM.

#54 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 20 October 2013 - 11:48 PM, said:

The anonymity of onlinegames misleads people into rude behavior no matter what they play.
Just ignore those idiots and don't let them spoil your fun.

Meteorol beat me to the point. As long as anonymity exist on the internet, this toxic behavior, will only continue to plague us. That being said, I've noticed a more toxic level of players leading up to launch, but those players will go find something else to do once their gnat-like attention spans drive them somewhere else. (Especially b/c the nature of this game doesn't allow for god-like invincible mechs/ships like other games.)

I find the community here to be one of the better ones I've experienced in ages. Yes, there are those that are overly sensitive about the speed of game development, but as a whole I see a lot of good folks, including those leading the charge for faster change/balance.

Edited by Kali Rinpoche, 21 October 2013 - 06:54 AM.

#55 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

I honestly have no problem at all with trash-talking to my enemies. For example, if someone on my team disconnects I will often type in all chat, "good, now our teams are evenly matched." I think trash talk needs to be a lot more thoughtful than 'diaf' though. Otherwise it's just mean-spirited sore losers getting into a pre-pubescent shouting match.

#56 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

I must say that is rare. MechWarriors have honor usually. The lore is you are the best of the best to get to pilot a mech and once we have CW and established units players tend to get bound by the RP, not to say there isn't a place for humor.

#57 anubis969

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

View Postblacklanner, on 20 October 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

Normally, I would agree with you. But since I recently learned that my drop into team selection is solely based on my win/loose ratio (you have a good W/L - ratio, so the matchmaking sys. puts you with others with worse ratios) I tend to be less forgiving. Following that logic, total wipe usually means that you loose not because of bad luck, or strategy, but because of matchmaking sys. (most of your team consists of bad or worse players than you). And visa versa - if your team wins, its probably because you have more better players than enemy team. So GG from the enemy after total wipe (12:0) in first minutes of the match really feels like mocking.

Please please please prove me wrong.

You are both right and wrong when you say that your drop is determined by your win/loose ratio. But to be exact it's based on your Elo score. Win a game and your Elo goes up, loose a game and it goes down. The amount it changes is based on your teams average Elo score compared to your opponents.

http://mwomercs.com/...65#entry1626065

In theory once you've played enough games for your Elo to stabilise it should keep your W/L ratio around 1 but just as in chess if you are near the top of the skill curve you will win more than you lose and if you are near the bottom you will loose more than you win.

It should be noted that the matchmaker will never intentionally screw you over. Yes if you have a high Elo you'll sometimes be matched with low Elo players because of the small pool of players near your level but the matchmaker will still try to ensure despite that you have as close to 50% chance of winning as possible. It does that by trying to keep the two teams average Elo score equal. So say for example your team has a average Elo score of 1,000 then it will try to put you up against another team with a Elo score as close to 1,000 as possible. Plus it takes into account other factors to try to ensure that your team has just as much chance of winning as your opponent.

Does it always work? Unfortunately not, the main reason for when the matchmaker fails is that the game simply just doesn't have a large enough population to ensure fair matchmaking all the time. But I will say that in my experience for the most part the matchmaker does its job, and as such most of my games could potentially have gone either way. Even when it's a steam roll it's more often than not down to a combination of an identifiable mistake by the losing team, or just plain luck, and the games mechanics which tend to result in a snowball effect, rather than a noticeable difference in skill.

Edit: Typoes

Edited by anubis969, 21 October 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#58 RLBell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

The wise MechWarrior is not angered when he encounters another MechWarrior that acts as if his parents never met, let alone married. The wise MechWarrior is merely disappointed.

The Internet allows us to interact with people that we would never allow into our homes. We can only pray that they are better people, face to face.

#59 blacklanner

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

View Postanubis969, on 21 October 2013 - 07:15 PM, said:

http://mwomercs.com/...65#entry1626065

Does it always work? Unfortunately not, the main reason for when the matchmaker fails is that the game simply just doesn't have a large enough population to ensure fair matchmaking all the time. But I will say that in my experience for the most part the matchmaker does its job, and as such most of my games could potentially have gone either way. Even when it's a steam roll it's more often than not down to a combination of an identifiable mistake by the losing team, or just plain luck, and the games mechanics which tend to result in a snowball effect, rather than a noticeable difference in skill.

Edit: Typoes

I completely agree.

Thank you for the link. It surely clarify things. Although in my opinion they over-thought it and the system is too complex. Guess this was the best way to approach it. The thing I´m not happy about, is that the this systems tends to force you to have your w/l ratio about 1.

Another side effect of this matchmaking system is, that not always it finds suitable players. While I understand, that this is my experience only and in no way this proves to have any statistical significance, I played about 15 matches yesterday, and I can´t recall at least one match, where my team had all slots filled/without disconnects from the start, while the opponent team (naturally) didn´t have this problem - like ever. :)

Edit: Typos

Edited by blacklanner, 21 October 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#60 Sagamore

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:20 PM

There are definitely a few legitimate trolls in this game. One particular group of them introduce themselves as "Lords" and spam "gg close" when the game is a complete rofl stomp. I've witnessed this same group kill a friendly player who they thought shot them in the back. Thats the most hostile I've seen people.

However, most players I play with here are decent people. Sure there is competition and with that comes a degree of trash-talking but overall people aren't being overt trolls like League of Legends or some of those other games known for being toxic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users