8 replies to this topic

#1 Solid Alexei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 October 2016 - 09:31 AM

Did a quick half-scale 3D print of Marauder using 3D model files from: [Redacted]

Model was printed on a SLS machine in reinforced nylon using 3D Hubs service 3D Print Direct if anyone's curious:

https://www.3dhubs.c...3d-print-direct

I am working on a full scale model and will post it here when she's done but for now I just did a small scale print to test assembly and overall look. Very surprised with the outcome!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I did a slightly bigger Marauder print before but that was done using in-game 3D model and lacked articulation, high-end details and customizable weapons:

http://mwomercs.com/...auder-3d-print/

Edited by Alexander Garden, 12 October 2016 - 10:31 AM.
Removed link to website selling PGI models

#2 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 11 October 2016 - 10:44 AM

Someone really needs to acquire the rights to sell these things legally, seeing a nice big model in the palm of your hand is pretty awesome.

Do you think this one will clean up as nice as the other one after some sandable primer?

#3 Solid Alexei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 11 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 11 October 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

Someone really needs to acquire the rights to sell these things legally, seeing a nice big model in the palm of your hand is pretty awesome.

Do you think this one will clean up as nice as the other one after some sandable primer?
ow yes Nylon cleans up/sands extremely well! I usually use a heavy fill primer first which when sanded acts as filler too, filling all buildlines and makes the model very smooth.

I used this on my full size Catapult model and it worked the charm http://mwomercs.com/...apult-3d-print/

#4 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:17 AM

Your catapult is awesome. I expect this will be just as great.

#5 Solid Alexei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 12 October 2016 - 07:03 AM

View Postjjm1, on 12 October 2016 - 02:17 AM, said:

Your catapult is awesome. I expect this will be just as great.

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it! Going for this bad bot as paint scheme:
Posted Image

#6 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:09 AM

The gold edging on that Marauder would look SICK. Tough to do, but so pretty.

Anyway I haven't worked with a nylon 3D print, just the resin SLS. Good to know it sands/files nicely :)

#7 Solid Alexei

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 121 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:56 AM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 12 October 2016 - 10:09 AM, said:

The gold edging on that Marauder would look SICK. Tough to do, but so pretty.

Anyway I haven't worked with a nylon 3D print, just the resin SLS. Good to know it sands/files nicely :)
haha yes tell me about it! I'm dreading doing those gold edge highlights! Should be goood when (if:-0) finished! Nothing beats Watershed SLA sanding/polishing capabilities but Nylon is very good given you prime it with good heavy primer first.

#8 Alexander Garden

Producer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 12:30 PM

I unapproved this thread momentarily to redact the link that Solid Alexei provided to a service that is attempting to profit from selling 3D model files created by or derived from the work of the PGI art team.

Aside from being illegal, on a more personal level selling these model files for profit is an insult to the artists who put their time, effort, and skills into creating these 'Mechs for your enjoyment in this game.

We completely understand the enthusiasm and desire for 3D printed 'Mech models; we feel the same way. However, the reality is that we do not own merchandising rights for the MechWarrior franchise and we are not legally permitted to meet the demand for official MWO merchandise.

For anyone interested in 3D printing MechWarrior Online models for personal use and enjoyment, we ask that you please do not support any services which attempt to exploit and profit from the work of others by providing models created by or derived from the work of the PGI art team.

Any future discussions, references, or links to services that offer such services for profit will be moderated.

#9 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:53 PM

View PostSolid Alexei, on 12 October 2016 - 11:56 AM, said:

haha yes tell me about it! I'm dreading doing those gold edge highlights! Should be goood when (if:-0) finished! Nothing beats Watershed SLA sanding/polishing capabilities but Nylon is very good given you prime it with good heavy primer first.

Na. Not too bad. All you need to do is paint with the edge of a fine detail brush. I prefer nylon bristles since they keep their shape, well. You'll basically load up the paint in the brush, get rid of excess, then slide the side of the bristles against the edge you want painted just hard enough to get the width you want. Pretty quick and easy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users