#1 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:27 AM

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone out there has run an XL in their Shadowhawks and what their experiences are. In particular how often or rare you are killed from a destroyed side torso.

If anyone has created a hit-box diagram I would also love to see it. Thanks.

Edit: So a couple of days later everyone seems to agree that the Shadowhawk does well with an XL engine in it. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and loadouts!

Edited by Magnakanus, 23 October 2013 - 01:12 AM.

#2 OneEyed Jack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,500 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:44 AM

Hit Boxes

Edited by OneEyed Jack, 22 October 2013 - 02:45 AM.

#3 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:07 AM

I run an XL 320 in mine. I get CT's the most, legged the second most. Side torso occasionally, however due to your speed, Jump Jets, and torso twist speed, it is pretty easy to spread out the damage and not get focused down to one point. I have finished many matches bellow %40 health, and not lost a weapon group.

#4 blacklanner

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:11 AM

Hi, yesterday I completed basic efficiency on one Shadowhawk (other two are halfway) using 275XL engine.

Played 16 matches - 9W/7L, 21K/7D.

Out of those 7 deaths, only one was because of destruction of side torso (that was my first match with this mech). I will continue to use XL engine. Its not much data to go on, but maybe this would help you decide.

Edit - all matches 12vs12 - PUG (regarding Rushin Roulette´s comment one post below).

Edited by blacklanner, 22 October 2013 - 03:48 AM.

#5 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:11 AM

Same here, if you torsotwist and use your maneuverability, then you can quite easily spread the damage around well enough.

I wouldnt recomend an XL in a 12v12 match though, as the more concentrated fire is enough to take out a side torso relatively quickly.

#6 Chihuahua

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 74 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:23 AM

Usually i always vote for a solid standard engine build instead of XL. The SHD is an exception. I'd say this chassis is kind of cheesy without an XL. Especially the (P)-chassis is barely useful without one.

The 5M chasis is good to go with an std engine if you remove jumpjets and want to plant 2 UAC5 in it. Ironically that's the chassis delivered with a XL.

Edited by Chihuahua, 22 October 2013 - 03:24 AM.

#7 blacklanner

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:41 AM

View PostChihuahua, on 22 October 2013 - 03:23 AM, said:

Usually i always vote for a solid standard engine build instead of XL. The SHD is an exception. I'd say this chassis is kind of cheesy without an XL. Especially the (P)-chassis is barely useful without one.

The 5M chasis is good to go with an std engine if you remove jumpjets and want to plant 2 UAC5 in it. Ironically that's the chassis delivered with a XL.

Shadowhawk and Catapult. Those two mechs get on well with XL engines. Also any light up to 35t (Cicada maybe too, but I didn´t try that mech). With everything else, I would decide based on experience. I mastered three other mechs beside those mentioned here - Blackjack (wouldn´t recommend), Thunderbolt - basic efficiency (also woudn´t recommend) and Atlas (don´t even go there). XL seems a good choice for SDH. And some variants (namely P) is almost begging for it.

Edit: Thunderbolt - added

Edited by blacklanner, 22 October 2013 - 03:46 AM.

#8 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

Unless you're running a Streakhawk, odds are your main guns are all concentrated in the left ST. If that gets blown off, you're mostly useless anyway, so there's a case to be made for taking the XL and more guns based on that. I'm halfway through basics on all three, 2/3 running XLs (third has an AC/20 for the moment), one ST death so far. Seems XL-ok to me

EDIT: @blacklanner: Cicadas are XL-must. As "big lights" they need the speed (and have tiny STs)

S

Edited by Terciel1976, 22 October 2013 - 05:57 AM.

#9 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:54 AM

I've mastered all 3 Chasis, putting anything other than an XL in this mech just feels weird and slow. Yea, you can get away with some interesting mass genocidal AC builds of death, but you gimp yourself to move forever slow, if that's the case, just play a Cataphract or a K-2. After extensive trials of running AC/20 builds as well, my conclusion is, the BJ-1 and Jager do it better. Shadowhawk is fast, flexible and manueverable, why slow it down with a standard engine and less weapons?

#10 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:06 AM

Posted Image

My name is Sen, and I approve XL engines in Shadow Hawks.

Edited by Sen, 22 October 2013 - 07:07 AM.

#11 QuackAttack

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:12 AM

I run with the XL360, it is awesome.

#12 MavRCK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationMontreal - Vancouver

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

I use an xl 255 using 1-2ac5 and 1-2 ppc.. on my twitch.tv channel there is a recent video where i go through all the builds.

#13 rdmgraziel

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

I almost exclusively use an XL300 in mine (I'm toying with the idea of slapping an XL 360 in the 2D2 and giving it a quad streak build). I've been in 53 matches with them so far. I've been killed by side torso 3 times, one of which was only due to an ammo explosion. Between their great torso twisting potential, slim profile/hitboxes, speed, jumpjets, and beefy shield arms, they're REALLY durable, even with an XL. Like some bizarre mixture of a Centurion, a Spider, and a Hunchback.

Also, Sen, what the hell is your build and how can I be that awesome?

#14 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

View Postblacklanner, on 22 October 2013 - 03:11 AM, said:

Hi, yesterday I completed basic efficiency on one Shadowhawk (other two are halfway) using 275XL engine.

If you have an XL 280 hanging around (say from a Firebrand, Ilya Muromets or a Cataphract-3D) there's no reason not to use it in place of the XL 275 since they're the same weight. I wouldn't recommend that you go out and buy one though as it's only 81.0 kph vs. 82.5 (89.1 vs 90.7 with tweak). Not enough to justify the 4.5 million c-bills, but if you've already got one, might as well take the bit of extra speed.

#15 Xanilos

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationIn the South Wall Cornerclub,Balmora.

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

View Postblacklanner, on 22 October 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

Shadowhawk and Catapult. Those two mechs get on well with XL engines. Also any light up to 35t (Cicada maybe too, but I didn´t try that mech). With everything else, I would decide based on experience. I mastered three other mechs beside those mentioned here - Blackjack (wouldn´t recommend), Thunderbolt - basic efficiency (also woudn´t recommend) and Atlas (don´t even go there). XL seems a good choice for SDH. And some variants (namely P) is almost begging for it.

just so you know cicadas are just about useless w/o an XL 325 or bigger and blackjacks get about 150%better both are due to small ST and large CT hitboxes

Edited by Xanilos, 22 October 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#16 Yankee Sullivan

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:54 AM

Sen! Give us your secrets!!!!

Also I run a 300 XL and have had little problems with it. As already mentioned the five D's keep any part of your torso from getting focused (Dodge, dip, duck, dive and....Dodge)

#17 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:56 AM

View Postblacklanner, on 22 October 2013 - 03:41 AM, said:

Also Cataphracts and Victors do well with XL engines despite being 70 & 80 ton mechs.

#18 blacklanner

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 32 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:29 AM

View PostXanilos, on 22 October 2013 - 09:51 AM, said:

just so you know cicadas are just about useless w/o an XL 325 or bigger and blackjacks get about 150%better both are due to small ST and large CT hitboxes

That might be, but I have bad experience with blackjacks and XL engine. Dunno why are my side torsos destroyed so often. B)

View PostYankee Sullivan, on 22 October 2013 - 09:54 AM, said:

Sen! Give us your secrets!!!!

Also I run a 300 XL and have had little problems with it. As already mentioned the five D's keep any part of your torso from getting focused (Dodge, dip, duck, dive and....Dodge)

I have 3 AC2s and did 800 dmg, so he might run something similar.

View PostShadowbaneX, on 22 October 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

If you have an XL 280 hanging around (say from a Firebrand, Ilya Muromets or a Cataphract-3D) there's no reason not to use it in place of the XL 275 since they're the same weight. I wouldn't recommend that you go out and buy one though as it's only 81.0 kph vs. 82.5 (89.1 vs 90.7 with tweak). Not enough to justify the 4.5 million c-bills, but if you've already got one, might as well take the bit of extra speed.

Yeah, I have already one. I´m switching XL engines regularly, cause they are really expensive. Its also true that there is not much difference, but I´m limited with my loadout, so XL 275 is enough.

Edited by blacklanner, 22 October 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#19 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:50 PM

Run a 300 XL in mine (Along with an AC5, LL, 2xSRM2s and 1 SRM 6, and 3 jumpjets) - it works like a charm. Probably some of my most consistently high scores.

#20 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:17 PM

View PostDulahan, on 22 October 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

Run a 300 XL in mine (Along with an AC5, LL, 2xSRM2s and 1 SRM 6, and 3 jumpjets) - it works like a charm. Probably some of my most consistently high scores.

Heya Dulahan!

I used to run similar, but I find that the Shadow Hawk already has the enhanced speed it needs with the 275/280 and speed tweak. I also drop it down to 2xSRM4 and use the saved tonnage to mount an AC/10. Not as much range as the AC/5, but the extra punch can work wonders. 3 tons for the AC, 2 tons for the SRMs. The heat increase for an ER LL is negligible so I run with that. I did have to strip off a ton of armour though to fit everything.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users