#1 WARG45M

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationDeployed.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I'm not sure how to link loads so please bear with me. I was looking for a fast (Light playstyle) medium and I happened to come across the cicada 3M. Instantly fell in love with the speed and slot layout and it had ECM! So I saved up, bought it, and fit it up as best I could. I would LOVE some feedback from more experienced Cicada pilots on how I can better my loadout. Currently it's fit as follows:
XL280 engine for a 113.4 top speed (Without perk)
Structure: Endo
Armor Standard
4 ML's and one AC/5 with 2t of ammo. giving me 60 shots.
25 firepower, with 1.33 heat efficiency.
ECM module,
11 double heat sinks.
238 armor, (everything maxed except the arms, and 2 points off each leg.)

Any ideas of how to improve this? Thanks!

#2 Nothing Whatsoever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

I've seen CDA-3Ms with ballistics, but a single AC5 might be underwhelming.

The XL 280 lets you pack firepower. Generally many builds can also benefit from XL 300.

Here is one with two LLs and two MLs: CDA-3M

#3 WARG45M

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDeployed.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:41 AM

Yeah I can see how that would work well. I am partial to my ballistics though, and the 650 (ish) range of that AC/5 is great for whoring on kills :-P and it rocks some pilots enough for them to miss that laser blast that WAS aimed at you. but the dual LL's would work well no doubt. I'm a little partial to ballistics is all.

#4 Nothing Whatsoever

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationNowhere

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

Smurphy's is a great tool for checking out different build options outside of the game. Here's a tweak on your build in the OP.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7dd174fbe439ddc

#5 Gtbuck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 581 posts
  • LocationSoutheast US

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

I ran the 3m for a while with 4 ML and XL320, then tried with XL300 with 2mpl and 2ml but I pretty much settled down with what Shepard suggests.

#6 WARG45M

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDeployed.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:51 AM

<a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=36&l=4a2b65ce174d76e554105511f44d5bb3434ed5c7">CDA-3M</a>

or maybe this one will work?

CDA-3M

#7 WARG45M

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDeployed.

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

Thats quite similar to what im running now... I'm happy with that. :-D

#8 z3a1ot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:10 AM

Im also levelling up my Cicada 3M and I almost unlocked master level for it. I have 2 medium lasers and 2 medium pulse lasers only. I fitted largest engine possible, DHS and Endo-Steel so far. Its very heat efficient and can fire a lot before overheating.

I did this because I think speed is everything for this mech. My game improved a lot since I upgraded to XL340, with speed tweak I go over 150. I use it mainly to support my teammates with ECM cover and harras those who are already engaged. On several occasions I did over 600 damage and 3-4 kills. You should try it also.

#9 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:39 PM

If you hate Spiders and like ballistics try this build for fun.

CDA-3M

#10 WARG45M

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDeployed.

Posted 27 October 2013 - 03:29 AM

lol, that looks fun but doesn't quite have the speed I want. looks like a "Blast" to play though!

#11 Duellica

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:31 PM

This is a fun and fast build for long range poking or hit and run plus the ERPPC will negate ECM if you don't want to counter with yours.

CDA-3M

#12 Auzen

• PipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:04 PM

I had been running my 3M with dual Large Lasers, but finally decided to change it up because it just didn't feel particularly effective.

Here's what I changed to, and I never looked back:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9954dee2d152fd3

Seems a bit light on weaponry, but then factor in that using ECM, you can ding people with the AC5 from good range and unless they are good at visually spotting someone, they may have trouble finding where they are being attacked from. I just use the 295XL engine because that's what I use in my Jenners and I'm too cheap (read: poor) to buy other engines at this point. :)

Now, I'm not claiming the above is some awesome build for it, but it was particularly effective for my playstyle, and resulted in the best game of MWO I've ever had, I even had someone calling me "awesome" in chat during it... though sadly, the team lost the match because the last two enemies hid and I couldn't find them in time, and they won on an 11-10 score. Bah! Heh heh.

Edited by Auzen, 05 November 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#13 CB Pilot

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

View Postwintersborn, on 26 October 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

If you hate Spiders and like ballistics try this build for fun.

CDA-3M

I use this build alot for 12 man PUGs but if you want to go faster you can trade the ammo in the legs for a bigger engine. The LB10X is not that great other than for legging lights if you can not leg them with lasers. I swear the LB10X does not hit spiders though : P

View PostDuellica, on 28 October 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

This is a fun and fast build for long range poking or hit and run plus the ERPPC will negate ECM if you don't want to counter with yours.

CDA-3M

This is also a favorite build of mine for hit and run or so called "sniping". I think they swung the PPC heat nerf bat way to hard so this affects med mechs ability to use them effectively.

I tried and hate the new Guass mechanic so that was short lived but right now AC5/10 seems to be the best options. I am still working on a good build for it since ammo/speed balance is hard to get right.

Edited by InsectMech, 10 November 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#14 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:00 PM

I usually go back and forth between the 2xML and 2xMPL build (max engine, all the upgrades), or 3ML and a UAC/5. I like the ultra over the regular because I find I'm playing hit-and-run style in a 3M. Fire like crazy, and by the time it jams you should be moving to another spot anyways. I think I ran an XL295 in there. You might also give it a go with a PPC and a UAC/5, but you might be a little slow.

#15 Sable Dove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:56 PM

If you're going to go with an AC on a Cicada (and you don't want to use the AC20 or Gauss Rifle), the UAC5 is probably your best bet. It will let you flank enemies and unload a very large amount of damage in a short period before they can turn to face you.

If you get lucky, you can throw out 20 damage in just over 2 seconds with just the UAC5. Add in three ML and you can unload 30-35 damage very quickly, potentially to their rear armour, then duck back into cover.

#16 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Currently using the two ML and two MPL on mine, but after reading this thread I'm going to have a go with this build.

I'm not a fan of the UAC/5, it's too unpredictable. But, in something this fast it should be alright.

Edited by Lunatech, 28 November 2013 - 09:40 PM.

#17 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

Well, I dunno when the LBX got boosted, but with the tighter spread at close range, I generally unload 4ml to burn a hole, and then follow up with the LBX, scrubbing the internals of a mech with luck. Also had an amazing -to me- amount of chance kills where you just go through a hole in the armour you didn't even know was there and kill the internals.

So, given that you can go up to 400m and hit a mech with it now (Max 540m), it is actually fairly viable IMHO. Just VERY heavy.

NOTE: At closer range you can actually aim at sections of a mech and stand a good chance to concentrate damage - or miss completely while at speed, since spread is a lot tighter these days.

Edited by Hammerhai, 10 January 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#18 HurricaneZ

• PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

I run the AC5 with 4 x ML and the XL280 build every once in a while, but at 25 damage alpha, why not run the 4 x MPL and the XL320 engine and do 24 alpha damage while running ~20KpH faster? The CDA-3M is all about stealth and the AC5 shaking the target is a dead give away that you're shooting him. With all that shaking, hes going to want to find out who's shooting at him and either run to get his bearing or turn to face you. Once he sees a cicada, he'll want to fight, so the only way this build will work is if you stay with your lance,

However, the CDA-3M is really a scout and I personally run 4 x MPL and 10DHS if I'm hitting with a lot of running. However, heat is a problem. .The basic 4 x ML and 14 DHS allows for a more aggressive demeanor with sustained fighting.

In this video, I have a match score of 93 (3 kills with 684 damage), all based on scouting, positioning, finding targets of opportunities and shooting targets that don't know I'm there. (Of course my third target just DCed but you never know when he'll be back. What can I say, I needed the salvage bonus). Once we had the advantage, I began aggressively fighting the main group (4 assists), but I would still pick my targets, the isolated guy who's engaged with someone else, not the guy who's walking around looking for a target. I walked away with no major damage. Try to imagine what Rambo would do. He starts out stealthy with his knife and a bow, then finishes with the machine gun when they are on to him.

Edited by HurricaneZ, 27 January 2014 - 07:23 AM.

#19 Lukoi Banacek

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

I have long toyed with the idea of taking the plunge and adding CDA to stable but feel like they are just fatter, jumpless jenners. In yalls opinion, with all of these ML builds proposed....why play a CDA over a jenner? Just curious. I can accept its not a meta mech but what is doing different for you that you enjoy it over something like a jenner in public matches?

#20 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:45 PM

I run mine with 1ac10 and 2 medL, XL255 thats 103 kph without the speed boost and i realy like it, lots of damage for a mech thats not suposed to deal so much damage in the first place. Hang with heavies(i straff in their back from left to right and take shots everytime the ac10 its off cooldown, realy close to them and a bit behind them so they soak up all the damage) and you can fire that ac10 with impunity, they will regret not noticing you, and with 103 speed you can still go around scout and evade.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users