44 replies to this topic

#21 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostVictor Morson, on 27 November 2013 - 11:27 AM, said:

While I've been recommending the Shadow Hawk over the Centurion, the Centurion sounds like it's what you want. Highly durable, simple to play and pretty heat friendly. Recommended setups:

9A: 4x SRM4 2x MPL
9A: 4x SRM6 2x ML
9D: 2x LRM15+A 1x TAG+BAP
9AL: 4 SPL/ML, 2 SRM6

Skip the YLW, it's easy to neuter. All of those builds don't use the arms, so you can setup Endo+Ferro, except the 9D (Endo only).

Very very reliable 'mech, very easy to play, and still one of the best brawlers in the game.

builds with 4 missiles...
A build that uses 2 LRM15s and TAG with no way to defend itself...
4 SPLAS...

Victor? What? Why? Stop telling people to use impossible or terrible builds.

#22 Turist0AT

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

i must say KINTAROs are very deadly. Pack it full of SRMs and it can murder Assaults.

#23 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:38 AM

Here is one of my favorite BJ builds. Fast enough to give the lights a good beating.

1-UAC/5
6-ML

Jody Von Jedi

#24 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 December 2013 - 01:18 PM

I've found that the Cents make good 'simple' builds. The YLW - AC/20 and 2 MLas - doesn't get much simpler than that. ;) Or even the Cent A, with AC/10, 2 MLas and 3x your missile of choice makes for a very simple yet effective build. I personally like Streaks on mine, because then that arm AC also doubles as your point of aim for your streaks.

Also, since they are generally ballistic builds, they don't tend to run as hot as their all-energy counterparts.

#25 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

Seen some ****** go nuts with a Hunchback 4J on caustic, he had 2 LRM15 launchers 2 medium pulses i think and a TAG...can say he was a real meatgrinder with 550dmg at the end of the round(thanks to that jerk rebuilt my J 4 times now)
Right now using a real simple to use build(real slow PC so not getting into the festival of explosions) which includes 5 medium lasers, endo interior, 14 double radiators, fluffy seats, 2x LRM10 launchers with 5 tons of things that go boom, a standart but chromed engine and a coconut monkey wobblehead.
Now yes im a bad player averaging 200 each round since i dislike getting up close or using cookiecutters but this thing is cooler than Robin Williams talking about feminists.

#26 Tiger Shark

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 08 January 2014 - 05:51 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 09 December 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

Here is one of my favorite BJ builds. Fast enough to give the lights a good beating.

1-UAC/5
6-ML

Jody Von Jedi

I'm going to have to try that build, seems really interesting. 6ML sort of like the 1X I usually run, but downgrade the engine and add the UAC5.

View PostBuckminster, on 09 December 2013 - 01:18 PM, said:

I've found that the Cents make good 'simple' builds. The YLW - AC/20 and 2 MLas - doesn't get much simpler than that. ;) Or even the Cent A, with AC/10, 2 MLas and 3x your missile of choice makes for a very simple yet effective build. I personally like Streaks on mine, because then that arm AC also doubles as your point of aim for your streaks.

Also, since they are generally ballistic builds, they don't tend to run as hot as their all-energy counterparts.

I believe the YLW is the only Cent that can equip a AC20? I need to think about spending some MCs on it.

#27 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:46 AM

View PostTiger Shark, on 08 January 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

I believe the YLW is the only Cent that can equip a AC20? I need to think about spending some MCs on it.

Yeah, it is. And if you like Centurions, it's a really fun mech. I bought mine to help master my Cents as I didn't like the Cent-D. The XL engine would have been nice to have in my garage, but I prefer STDs in my Centurions.

I know a lot of people pooh-pooh the YLW because all of it's firepower is in that one arm, but that AC/20 is what makes it so fun.

Edit: And I can't remember if this has been said or not, but pick a chassis that you like and make sure that you get three variants of it. The Basic (and the Elite) skills make a HUGE difference on how a mech handles. If you've already played with two BJ builds, get a third one and make it work to your style. Maybe grab a BJ-3, tweak the weapons and run with that.

And another thing I've found with "simple" builds, is that it's a lot easier to run if you group your weapon locations. Like the BJ-3 - it has a PPC in each arm. Move both PPCs to one arm and they'll fire in a tighter group, making it a lot easier to focus your fire. I used to be a huge symmetrical build guy, but after playing through my Shadow Hawks, Griffins and Wolverines, I'm finding asymmetrical builds actually work much better.

Edited by Buckminster, 09 January 2014 - 04:56 AM.

#28 wintersborn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

Here is a very simple yet effective medium.

CDA-3M

#29 Tiger Shark

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

View PostBuckminster, on 09 January 2014 - 04:46 AM, said:

And another thing I've found with "simple" builds, is that it's a lot easier to run if you group your weapon locations. Like the BJ-3 - it has a PPC in each arm. Move both PPCs to one arm and they'll fire in a tighter group, making it a lot easier to focus your fire. I used to be a huge symmetrical build guy, but after playing through my Shadow Hawks, Griffins and Wolverines, I'm finding asymmetrical builds actually work much better.

Huh, will have to give that a try as well. Usually one in each arm or each side to prevent one side getting blown out and losing all weapons (i.e. Hunch 4G). However, sometimes, behind cover, with 2 LL, one is usually wasted firing into a rock.

#30 Tiger Shark

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:20 AM

View PostTiger Shark, on 08 January 2014 - 05:51 PM, said:

I'm going to have to try that build, seems really interesting. 6ML sort of like the 1X I usually run, but downgrade the engine and add the UAC5.

I actually really like it. I got the 1DC initially to elite and master the 1 and 1X, and it's been gather dust. I thought it would be a little slow and no JJ, and slightly too hot. Turns out that it's pretty well self balanced.
- UAC5 for longer range, 6ML doesn't come into play anyway.
- 6ML for close in, and if heat becomes an issue, I use the 2 arm MLs or just the UAC5 to manage heat.
- By the time the UAC jams, the heat is usually okay for me to use the 6ML again.

#31 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

View PostTiger Shark, on 11 January 2014 - 08:15 AM, said:

Huh, will have to give that a try as well. Usually one in each arm or each side to prevent one side getting blown out and losing all weapons (i.e. Hunch 4G). However, sometimes, behind cover, with 2 LL, one is usually wasted firing into a rock.

Yeah, there is definitely the "my arm got blown off now I have no guns" risk. But I've found that two PPCs on a Raven (where they're in the same arm) tend to be a lot more effective than the two PPCs on my Cat K2 (where they are high and wide). It drives me crazy, because I am a fiend for symmetry, but I've just had to get over it. :)

#32 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

To the OP: you sound a lot like me, I did switchto a 5 button mouse this week and am trying to learn to use more than 3 weapon groups but for the most part Im same kind of player as you.

Try either the Cicada 3m or the Cicada with 6 energy hardpoints with ALL FLAMERS. Im serious. Its hilarious good fun. If you ever play with someone else get your buddy to do it too. One of you run the 3m flamer for ecm shield, the other run the 6 flamer cicada. Any mech that you hit with ten flamers cant do ****. Just stay away from lights and dakka mechs and your golden.

For my BJ-1 I use a Gauss-jack with 3 med lasers because I think AC/20s are cheese-sauce. Xl-235, 2 jj, DHS, endo, 2 weapon groups.

For my BJ-1x I use 3 large lasers, thats it. Max engine, ENDO, and as many DHS as I can get. One chain fire group and one alpha group. You could also do a group of 2 and then 1 with a half second delay. But really the ghost heat isnt that bad.

For my BJ-3 I use 2 ER large and 2 mplas, max engine, endo, as many DHS as possible. 3 weapon groups. one for the er, one for mplas, and one chain group for the ERs when its hot.

Lets see here well I dont know your thoughts on Trebuchets but I think they are great. Not as "meta" or tanky as a Centurion or Shadowhawk because its arms are huge, its tall, and its CT is easier to hit than a Cent, but still they have jj and are more versatile and just as fun and can be just as successful with practice.

Treb 7k: 2 ER large and an AC-10. XL-255 I think. Endo, DHS, pretty easy to figure out from there. One ER group, the AC-10 as a group, and an ER chain group. If ERs arent your style thenm just use regular Large, runs cooler obviously.

Treb 7-M: 3 streaks, BAP, 3mplas, XL-300, endo, dhs, a couple jumjets, Advanced Target Decay module. Very good light hunter. Quicker than a Kintaro, but probably not quite as "meta" as the 2d2 streak-hawk. 3 weapon groups. One for pulse lasers, one fro streaks, one chain group for pulse lasers. If you need to chain the streaks just arrow over and hit backspace.

Treb 5J: 2 large lasers, 2 medium lasers, 1 srm 6, xl-300, all the normal upgrades, some jumpjets. Could maybe use a XL-280, but speed is your friend ion a Treb. One group Large, one medium, one for the SRM.

Treb 3c: I used to do a XL-255, 4mplas, Artemis, and 2 srm-6. with normal upgrades and as many heatsinks as I could get. But now I run it as a "Lrmisher" with an XL-265, 2 LRM 15s with Artemis, TAG, 3 medium lasers, 304 armor, 5 tons of ammo. You could drop a medium laser anf put another ton of ammo in, it tends to run out every match. Both builds use 3 groups.

#33 BP Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:42 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 09 December 2013 - 11:38 AM, said:

1-UAC/5
6-ML

Jody Von Jedi

Improved that for you...

BJ-1DC

Endo is always better than ferro, case with XL is not worth it, and the head hitbox is so small that you can shave it to fit another heatsink/ton of ammo as you see fit.

#34 TheGunKnows

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 27 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationJapan

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:10 AM

Possibly you should have a look at a Hunch SP-build. 4 or 5ml and 2 SRM 6
It's a fast, fun build. I'll call it the Easyback
Natually you can swithc out the BAP for extra armor on your chicken legs. Or an extra DL heat-sink or a zombie-laser up in you head! Or Take out the BAP, put in a extra DL heastsink and a small laser in the head .
Enjoy!

#35 zagibu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:56 AM

A HBK doesn't have chicken legs.

#36 Tiger Shark

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

Scrotacus,
Thanks for the ideas.
Yeah, I have a 4 button mouse, I use 3 for weapons group, and 4th for the advanced zoom. Any more and I'm confused when screen gets all shaky.
I love the Cicadas, I will have to try the flamers build, instead of the 6ML build. I play PUG only, so it might not be as hilarious.
Tried the 3LL build on the 1X and the 1DC. On the 1DC, I have the 235XL with 17DHS. On the 1X, I have it with 280XL, and mounted all 3LL on one arm, and use the other side to soak up some damage. Will be fun to try with with the BJ-3. Yeah, the ghost heat takes some getting used to.
I don't think the Treb got any love here on this thread and I haven't seen many overall in the game. Although the builds are sort of a bridge between Kintaros and Shadowhawks. I think I will give those a try after I get done with my Shadowhawks.

#37 Tiger Shark

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:19 PM

Been playing a lot of medium builds posted on this thread. It was fun experimenting with all the different builds and configurations. Sometimes, a small change makes a big difference. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

My favorites are:
6ML Blackjack 1X
6ML Cicada 2A / 5 ML Cicada 2B
2LL + 4SSRM Shadowhawk
AC20 + 3ML Blackjack 1
AC20 + 3ML Hunchback
2LL + 2ML Cicada 3M

Honorable mentions that I know would do better in with better pilots than me:
SRM heavy Centurions
Streaktaros
LRM Hawks
AC Hawks

Edited by Tiger Shark, 17 February 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#38 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostInflatable Fish, on 27 November 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

eh, are you sure you can mount 4 missile launchers in a Centurion? :)

I assume you meant three launchers in those two builds, in which case it's alright and they're okay loadouts, though I wouldn't say they're easy to play by any means.

Doh. I've been talking so much about the Shadow Hawk and was falling asleep and butchered that. Fixed, thanks.

View PostWrenchfarm, on 27 November 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

builds with 4 missiles...
A build that uses 2 LRM15s and TAG with no way to defend itself...
4 SPLAS...

Victor? What? Why? Stop telling people to use impossible or terrible builds.

The 4 launcher thing was a typo, and I apologize for it. 4 should have been 3. If you make that adjustment, I stand by everything there.

The LRM15 build is INCREDIBLY powerful (if outclassed by other chassis now) and is a fun style to play that, as it focuses on one weapon system, works great.

I really do not recommend worrying about wasting tonnage on backup weapons that won't amount to enough to defend yourself on medium LRM skirmishers.

Edited by Victor Morson, 17 February 2014 - 01:28 PM.

#39 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e8679862e950e92

This one seems very simple to me. Not to hard to run just take care of the shoulder like you would with any 4G.

#40 1lostsoul

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

simple medium that has 3 weapon groups and is already out and your not to interested in a shadow hawk..blasphemy

seeing as the Centurion has been mentioned let me throw a couple builds and reasons for you to want to use it.

CN9-D the most expensive variant for a good reason that XL300 is a very nice engine you will possible use in a lot of builds for other mechs.

seeing as it can fit some of the larger engines lets take advantage of that keeping its XL300 make sure you have double heatsinks and endosteel for all of these builds.

normal Norman; 300xl,ac5 2tons ammo,2 ML,2srm6 3tons ammo, remove armor from your famous shield arm and you have one more ton to play with.
​a rather normal load out 3 weapon groups ballistic missiles and lasers. with very little effort you can keep that LBX-10 cannon on it by changing ammo amounts and launcher sizes.

poor mans wang; drop all of your missiles and stick 2 ac5s on it down grade your engine if you want more ammo.(some player swear on ac2s your decide for your self) mid range sniper build has similar problem as the wang once your arm is off your not much good.

If I was a light (troll build);XL 350, 2 machine guns one ton ammo,2mpl,2srm6 3 ton ammo. if you were 15 tons lighter this would be a lot of fire power. I have seen this one used well oddly used to run in and finish of badly damaged mechs and chase of lights. with more fiddling you can jam a XL375 on it. well on to next mech

CN9-AL an energy variant with 2 laser hard points on the arm instead of a ballistic option you can manage some interesting fits with this one as well.

Get hot or die trying; STD 200 (comes with original purchase) ER PPC (an energy ac10 with some perks) ,2ML,2srm6 3ton ammo bunch of double heat sinks and if you take armor of that shield arm you can stick a tag on it as well to help your missile boats.

​electric Wang; drop all missiles and ammo take of the tag add another ppc/erppc ad more heat sinks where you can upgrade engine if you wish you still have the same problems of a wang but you do have better range for heat problems. other fits use 2 large lasers or 2 large pulse lasers.

Almost a Jenner;4ML,and 2 srms6 with 3 tons ammo most people upgrade this ones engine to a STD250 for so better speed and some more heat sinks cant forget those.

Last but not least

CN9-A the more popular centurion kind of like the CN9-D but instead of 2 ballistics it has only one so it can have more missiles for a total of 3.

Champion rendition; STD275 2 med pulse laser 3 srm6 4 tons ammo. strip off arm armor for that 4th ton and dont for get this is one of the few builds that Ferro-fibous armor upgrade is of any worth.

I kill lights; STD200 LBX-10 3 tons ammo,2ML,3streaks 2 tons ammo,BAP. remove armor from shield arm to fit. yes this one is to slow to chase lights but it is a very simple upgrade to a XL255 to give your self a bit of a speed boost. your main job is to keep enemy lights off of you bigger stuff.

jack of all trades never looked so good;STD200 ac2 3tons ammo,2ML,3srm6 4 tons ammo. again remove armor from shield arm to get this all to fit.. this fit has alittle some thing for all ranges ac2 to annoy enemy snipers at range and a mean punch if any one gets close if you want a bigger gun change the size of your srm launchers. you can even jam 3lrm5s on it instead of srms so you can barrage enemy's out of sight with missiles. This fit also can go to a XL275 if you strip all armor off the shield arm and a touch from some place else.

weapon groups are normally for the players I know who have played it right arm as main weapon. Srms are the back up for when enemy gets close. and the 2ML in just about all fits are the back up of your back up so take the least used weapon grouping.

hope this helps ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users