105 replies to this topic

#1 627

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 01:44 AM

Hi everyone,
As it seems there is no tactical discussion about the maps we have, I thought I start one.
Mostly this will reflect the things I experienced in PUG and 4man group play, in no way will this be a guide for 12vs12.
Beyond that, I won’t say I’m the tactical mastermind here and everything I say is right so let's discuss Posted Image

Obviously there will be bad english here and as being german, I’d like to apologize for it up front for no special reason, so feel free to correct me Posted Image

Big Kudos to Smurfy-net.de were I will shamelessly steal the map images. You can find everything about MWO Maps and more here: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/map

------------------------ Update ------------------------

In December 2013 there was a rather big update to spawn and cap points on some maps so I’ll be writing an Update for every affected map. This is a bit easier for me than writing everything new, basically because the map layout didn’t change so the drawn routes and hotspots still are some kind of valid.
Furthermore I’ll will put any comments on our new game mode Skirmish into the update.

---

Every Map has now its own post in this thread, this should help with load times a bit. Just click on the link and you'll land directly on that map post. This was mostly done because the forum can't handle long post very well it seems.

------------------------ Other Languages ------------------------
Here I will link the translations. If anyone wants to do another, just send me a PM.

Russian from Varhait

------------------------

Let’s start our tour alphabetical, please keep up with your guide Posted Image
Posted Image

Alpine Peaks
Link to map review

Canyon Network
Link to map review

Caustic Valley
Link to map review

Crimson Strait
Link to map review

Forest Colony
Link to map review (Redux Version)
Link to map review (outdated Version)

Frozen City (Night)
Link to map review

HPG Manifold
Link to map review

River City
Link to map review (Redux Version)
Link to map review (outdated Version)

The Mining Collective
Link to map review

Terra Therma
Link to map review

Tourmaline Desert
Link to map review

Viridian Bog
Link to map review

Heat Analysis
Link to heat analysis

/edit 30.10.2013: added Canyon Network
/edit 31.10.2013: added Caustic Valley
/edit 01.11.2013: added Crimson Strait
/edit 12.11.2013: added Forest Colony (Snow)
/edit 13.11.2013: added Frozen City (Night)
/edit 14.11.2013: added River City (Night), Terra Therma, Tourmaline Desert
/edit 14.01.2014: added Updates for december 2013 map changes
/edit:18.01.2014: added HPG Manifold
/edit 28.01.2015: added The Mining Collective, rearranged the thread
/edit 07.04.2015: added Viridian Bog
/edit 03.09.2015: added River City Redux Version
/edit 04.09.2015: added Heat Analysis
/edit 25.01.2016: added Forest Colony Redux Version

Edited by 627, 25 January 2016 - 06:38 AM.

#2 Delchev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:09 AM

really nice. Keep it up. I like the format with not only map view but also real screenshots with routes drawn.

Even though most of the things are kinda known, such a structured view helps a lot to organize thoughts.

I am really looking forward for other maps overview. Starting with the newer ones.

#3 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:40 AM

On Conquest, you need to fight for epsilon in some fashion. If your main force goes towards kappa, you allow your opponent to get a 3 to 2 point lead for a long time, often until the match ends. All they need is one light pilot with a working brain.

#4 Catalina Steiner

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 2,119 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNagelring Academy

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:46 AM

Very nice thread, I love it! That's the way tactical threads should look like. Please keep up the good work!

I have tried to create a similar thread, just for capping. Small guide for light capping
I'm using the same maps and I have edited them with Paint to show routes.

View PostModo44, on 29 October 2013 - 04:40 AM, said:

On Conquest, you need to fight for epsilon in some fashion. If your main force goes towards kappa, you allow your opponent to get a 3 to 2 point lead for a long time, often until the match ends. All they need is one light pilot with a working brain.

That's why I posted here. :)

Edited by Catalina Steiner, 29 October 2013 - 04:49 AM.

#5 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:46 AM

Unbelievable!
I'd just started doing exactly this!

...great minds...

#6 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:41 AM

Only thing I would add to these maps would be favored positions for LRM boats/sniper positions.
Obviously that can vary greatly depending on the tactics of the opposition and skill level/loadout of your own team, but there's always those one or two "sweet spots" folk seem to find they can squeeze a few devastating vollleys from before being spotted by the unwary.

#7 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:39 AM

Thanks everyone, I'll do my best to get the other maps up :)

Canyon network is in, hope i made some nice pictures. I even bought a new tour guide so you can see all those fancy places where you don't get at in a normal match.

View PostDelchev, on 29 October 2013 - 04:09 AM, said:

Even though most of the things are kinda known, such a structured view helps a lot to organize thoughts.

I'm aware of that i don't tell anything new, but I think this could be a start for everyone to develop some ideas how to take a map. or at least get an overview about it and where to go.

View PostC J Sparrow, on 29 October 2013 - 05:41 AM, said:

Only thing I would add to these maps would be favored positions for LRM boats/sniper positions.
Obviously that can vary greatly depending on the tactics of the opposition and skill level/loadout of your own team, but there's always those one or two "sweet spots" folk seem to find they can squeeze a few devastating vollleys from before being spotted by the unwary.

Finding those sweet spots is a challenge for everyone so no, I won't do this. That 's not the only reason, though. If you say something like "stand here, hide there" this leads to bad things. First, those spots become "well known" and aren't sweet anymore. Second, this leads to camper mentalitiy - camping is not bad, actually this is a valid tactical approach. But camping has to be done right... i'll just throw the term "change of position" in here.

Next map will be caustic, and after that our new shiny :P

Edited by 627, 30 October 2013 - 02:40 AM.

#8 Geek Verve

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • LocationCentral Indiana, USA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:03 AM

Great job! I would suggest that, if you are going to refer to the conquest cap points, you use the conquest view of the map that shows those points. I've probably only played three or four conquest matches, so I have no idea where they are or which names go with which.

I understand why you would choose not to list points of interest, but I think the occasional indicators for "Don't stand here - you're begging to be hammered." or "Death Trap - Stay Away!" would be helpful. The central ridge in Frozen City immediately comes to mind. Most of us know of them, but we often had to learn about them the hard way. New players would find it extremely useful.

Edited by Geek Verve, 30 October 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#9 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:32 AM

Caustic Valley is in, so share your thoughts :lol:

Whenever I can I try to warn where not to stand or stay but this tends to come down to "hide in the farthest corner of the map" - ok not that much but I still want to encourage people to go out and attack and actually fight tactical and not just wait for the enemy at base with a drink and some burgers :D

#10 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 01:06 AM

hey guys, crimson strait is up! B)

next week I'm in holidays, hope i can finish the rest of the maps after that.

#11 Yom

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:12 AM

Great work! Keep it up.

#12 Gunnr75

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSt Louis

Posted 01 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

Great job.

I've found that the presence of a DDC dictates the tactics on most maps. The lights with ecm don't stick around in pugs to provide cover.

#13 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostGunnr75, on 01 November 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

The lights with ecm don't stick around in pugs to provide cover.

I do ;)

But then... I am a living exception to many rules :huh:
It is a lonely life... but somebody's gotta do it

#14 travelbug

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:22 AM

sticky this

#15 Kalam Mehkar

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

627 mate, this is a great compilation of information and foundational tactics (with visuals!). I will be pointing our unit's less-MWO-experienced players to this for reading material. And even our more experienced players can benefit as well from a visualization and 'all-in-one' quick view like this. Many thanks for all the work that went in to creating these (and the mad MS Paint skillz as well! :P) and truly looking forward to more if you're willing!

Thanks again!

#16 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:03 AM

I'm back ;)

thanks everyone for the kind words, I'll try to keep up with the next maps. :)

and here you have it, forest colony added. I included the snow variant as there's not much difference between those two.

#17 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:04 AM

*chirp chirp*

anyone here? :)

Frozen City is online, only 3 more maps left :(

#18 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

View Post627, on 13 November 2013 - 01:04 AM, said:

*chirp chirp*

anyone here? :P

.......No....... :ph34r:
Like the GIF of the difference between Night and Day (seems backward on that map, no? :D)

#19 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 07:10 AM

Aaaaand it's done!

Here are the last three maps, that makes this guide complete till december when we get that HPG map. I really hope they'll add some colors to that grey... thing :ph34r:

However, i hope you like it and that i didn't make too much errors when i wrote this (but feel free to correct me).

This is still a basic tactical analysis so if anybody wants to go into detail, you're welcome :ph34r:

Edited by 627, 14 November 2013 - 07:12 AM.

#20 Demogarose

• PipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 20 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia area

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:58 PM

awesome stuff. gotta tell my buddies about this.

NEEDS A STICKY!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users