Do Not Retaliate Friendly Fire

92 replies to this topic

#1 Blomdoft

Rookie

• Moderate Giver
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

Hi!

You all know this situation: At the start of the match, someone just cannot behave and you get a laser in the back.

Guide

What you should do: Curse loudly about friendly fire in the chat.
What you should not do: Turn around and cripple the next best guy that looks like he might have shot at you.

Reasoning

I know it is tempting, and yes pumping up some adrenalin to prepare for the match is a good idea, but then - You will often get the wrong guy. I received some misguided "return fire" three times this week already, and shooting back in general is a bad idea as it weakens the team further, where in addition, if you get the wrong person someone else will be agitated, too. So, please, contain your aggression, and words might hit harder than "dem lazers" anyway.

Disclaimer

I have recently picked up playing in a higher weight class and still totally suck at it, maybe my ELO is just so bad that I get pug'ed with triggerhappies, but to me it seems that these incidents increase, therefore this reminder. Now go happy hunting!

Cheers, Blom

#2 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:49 PM

Its always been an issue but of late it seems like its worse than ever. Mechs want to group up and then move in each other's way as they are shooting then complain they are taking FF.

I had a situation where I was sniping and a mech walked in my way. I had been there for a minute or two. He blamed me for hitting me and shot me back. He came real [redacted] close to taking an alpha strike to the head.

#3 Kardax

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

I prefer spamming giant ascii {LT-MOB-25} and swearing like there's no tomorrow, ....but if i get shot twice i will retaliate. One is a mistake, twice is an idiocity.

#4 MandaloreWise01

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:29 AM

Early on, I had begun a match, and someone in a locust spawned in front of me and shot me with a laser. I looked at him, expecting it to be a misfire. Sadly, not so. A few seconds later, he shot again. this time, in my blackjack, I shot him once with my AC5s as a warning. Again, he shot back. after quickly dispatching him, the chat lit up with the other team, wondering what happened. Someone, (by mistake i hope) accused me of murdering my teammate dishonorably, etc. and, of course, identified me as a high value target. That game, I lasted all of 30 sec. due to all the opposing team focusing fire on me. NOT FUN, I tell you.

#5 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:32 AM

View PostMandaloreWise01, on 30 October 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

Early on, I had begun a match, and someone in a locust spawned in front of me and shot me with a laser. I looked at him, expecting it to be a misfire. Sadly, not so. A few seconds later, he shot again. this time, in my blackjack, I shot him once with my AC5s as a warning. Again, he shot back. after quickly dispatching him, the chat lit up with the other team, wondering what happened. Someone, (by mistake i hope) accused me of murdering my teammate dishonorably, etc. and, of course, identified me as a high value target. That game, I lasted all of 30 sec. due to all the opposing team focusing fire on me. NOT FUN, I tell you.

Funny, You'd think the The Locust pilot would be the one claiming your illegitimate birth status, and the enemy team saving you for last... hoping you'd try it again :P

#6 Father Tork

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:37 AM

Had a match lastnight where a friendly with no muzzle discipline kept walking into team mate's line of fire. Only to go on and say "the next person who FF me is gonna get eliminated by me."

I can understand his frustration about getting shot in the back. But we was constantly walking into sustained gunfire of his own volition.

As far as my own FF habits, tehre is the occaisional accident like with anyone, otherwise i'll only FF a little in the following set of circumstances;
1- I'm armed with a machine gun.
2- It's a heavy or assault that everyone was following, who stopped in a pass that nobody can get past.

Even then it's unlikely I'll FF, but if I did, it's just the tiniest of pokes :P

#7 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:37 AM

There's a difference between teamkilling because someone scratched your paint and teamkilling because there's an ***** who wants to kill you.

We had such lately, dropping with 3 man. Match starts and on cent goes KOS on on of my buddies, nothing in chat. We all tried to convince him to stop but he just ran around him, firing everything he had. We had to stop him. And did.

#8 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:55 AM

I had a situation last week with a guy that was FF'ing on purpose and using the chat to generally be a 8==D. We were sitting on Kappa in Crimson straits and he had been cursing at several team members in chat already. Dude walks up in front of me and says "What are you looking at c*nt". I ignored it a couple of time and then "LOLed" to play it down and then he started shooting.

That was a bit too much and I proceeded to leg him and take off his arms and leave him for dead.

As stated above, once is a mistake, twice is not acceptable. Some people have a chip on their shoulder, some are just messing around, and some have no consideration.

#9 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

I've only had to retaliate twice. The first time the guy flat-out cursed all over team chat for no reason and just started spraying shots all over the place into the team as the match began. The second time a Centurion "ally" decided to start shooting me at match start. After the first few times - and once he started to circle strafe me - I informed the team and we all killed him.

So, I only return fire if it is absolutely certain who the guilty party is and that he has not made a mistake but actually intends to be a griefer.

Edited by oldradagast, 30 October 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#10 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:16 AM

Normally I chalk up (un)friendly fire as a mistake. But have been a couple times where it was deliberate and I stopped him. Always seems to be someone in a Centurion too. Had one walk up into my atlas's face and shoot me. let it go the first time, the second time he did it it was time to put a stop to it. Proceeded to pound him into the ground then walk over him a few times. Second time a Cent turns around shoots me in the face twice then turns back around and tries to just walk away, well a couple AC20's to the rear told him that was not acceptable.
Sometimes you just have to put a stop to behavior like that. I really dont like killing teammates but its not like it is a REAL harsh penalty so i find the cost acceptable if neccessary.

#11 Cycleboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:27 AM

One of the "joys" of a free-to-play... no investment in the fun of the game. At least with subscription based games, you can't progress to the "higher levels" without substantial $ input, so Tking on a regular basis and threats of account deletion are serious.

I've only TK'd maybe twice... on purpose. You always get someone that walks in front with an already red torso. Which is why I think some of that TK C-bill penalty should be dependant on damage inflicted. If my 2xML shot hits a runner that crosses my beams while stripped bare, my 6.8damage inflicted shouldn't be a full penalty. B) That's just splash damage, man!

#12 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

Retaliation is bad. Self defense is OK.

Ironically, and the OP alludes to this, they can be the same situation, just not the same person.

Case in point: a few days ago someone fired on a teammate, large lasers, from the left.

He turned around towards the right and fired at my Boar`s Head, which has no large lasers. Twice.

The second time 50 pts went right to his cockpit. B)

It was only at this time that the true culprit revealed himself in /t and laughed with glee.

#13 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:34 AM

While not a story about starting round test shots, I had this one guy strip me of my weapons once completely on purpose and I did not shoot back at him... it was later in the game, my AC20 side torso was crit red from fighting and being in the front lines, and I only had 8 shots left so I was playing a bit more careful. I was behind this guy in a T-bolt a bit waiting for a good time to get a shot off quickly to get out what I could before losing the torso, when suddenly he turned around and shot off my side torso in one alpha. Then I yelled in chat about it, he then took off my arm that had my remaining 2 medium lasers, leaving me with no weapons. I yelled a lot more in chat, telling everyone who did it and what he did. He claimed it was because I was "not being in the front" and "hiding behind" everyone. Completely untrue obviously, so I raged pretty hard the rest of the match in the public chat in the match. But, not once did I fire back at him, for I am his better.

#14 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

Other point: Realize that your FOV is not where your weapons are. Most players realize this and know that your right arm with the AC20 in the back of your team mate will do serious damage if you fire that weapon and you move to get a clean shot. However of late the influx of newbs has created more rage over FF due to them not thinking or understanding this little fact. On the flip side spacial awareness is on the decline and people walk right in front of your alpha strike and then complain to you about their stupidity. With that said a lot of players also could care less if you are toe to toe with an enemy mech and will shoot through you to kill that guy you've been working on.

#15 Nathan Bloodguard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:38 AM

Been part of FF before, and seen it also. The most notable was just as the game was starting, hadn't even moved, and BAMM! there goes my right arm on my raven. Half my weapons payload vaporized before i even got to use it once! All I did was typed in team chat, "What the Heck!" Then got a quick "sorry had to click on the window to play." which of course caused the weapons to fire. Had a team mate all ready to slag him, but relented when the apology went out. The second and more recent one was when I was watching over my bros shoulder, and an all LL mech just randomly shoots into the back of a friendly for no reason. It was at the very beginning of the game and contact with the enemy hadn't even been established.

I never understand why someone would want to intentionally harm their own team. It just doesn't make sense and isn't that funny.

#16 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 30 October 2013 - 09:34 AM, said:

While not a story about starting round test shots, I had this one guy strip me of my weapons once completely on purpose and I did not shoot back at him... it was later in the game, my AC20 side torso was crit red from fighting and being in the front lines, and I only had 8 shots left so I was playing a bit more careful. I was behind this guy in a T-bolt a bit waiting for a good time to get a shot off quickly to get out what I could before losing the torso, when suddenly he turned around and shot off my side torso in one alpha. Then I yelled in chat about it, he then took off my arm that had my remaining 2 medium lasers, leaving me with no weapons. I yelled a lot more in chat, telling everyone who did it and what he did. He claimed it was because I was "not being in the front" and "hiding behind" everyone. Completely untrue obviously, so I raged pretty hard the rest of the match in the public chat in the match. But, not once did I fire back at him, for I am his better.

I've played with and against CapperDeluxe since MWLL and I can say without a doubt he is an honorable guy and would not shoot a team mate on purpose. However I might shoot him for old times sake from the countless times we played in MWLL!

#17 Phlinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 595 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

Several times in the last week I have been victim of FF. Some people don't think anything about shooting through you to get the kill that they wanted. Sometimes they just get pissy about you coring some guy so they turn their alpha on your rear torso. Kill are cool and all, but tagging a friendly because you didn't get the kill is just petty and childish. I usually get this type of FF on an AC/20 build where 1 shot on a weak torso means the Red guy dies.

There have been a few games that I have ran for my life FROM Light mechs, because I know that if one gets close to me, my own team will cut me down trying to get to it.

And BTW, Werewolf486, nice sig, I concur.

#18 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostRonyn, on 30 October 2013 - 10:03 AM, said:

And BTW, Werewolf486, nice sig, I concur.

Thank you!

#19 Nakamura Takeshi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:44 AM

I think once is an accident, but twice they need to be put down. If you are stepping in front of someone as they are firing on enemy players you are asking for it (especially if you are really close and rush in front of them), I freely except a shot or two if I need to gain a better position quickly and I'm stepping in front of them and get hit.

Not everyone in this game is a team player, that's why when you play with pugs you roll the dice with all kinds of players. Some good, some bad, more than a handful who are stupid or vicious.

#20 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:59 AM

Usually a get an appology if I get hit, and if I hit someone, I try to appologize at the earliest convenient time (and FF happens, the occasional stray shot doesn't bug me).

Only time I've ever seen someone turn on a teammate was one guy turned on a friend of mine while capping the enemy base (11-1 lead). He did it a few times blew an arm off, so I tickled him with 2 LLs twice, and he moved and stopped. Really not sure what happened.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users