47 replies to this topic

#1 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:51 AM

So after reading the FF/TK post I thought I would take a moment to bring this one up.

Stay off your team mates back! If he needs to back up and you are grinding his back then you've likely doomed him to death or getting stripped enough that he is no longer a value to the team and will die shortly anyway! Leave the poor guy 100m or more, if you have jj's make it 150m, get to his side, do something other than a Miley Cyrus on my back.

Running as a group is a good thing except when you are so tightly packed you're blocking or being blocked by your team and can't effectively fire on targets. To often I see this, my 4man premade lance is about to draw someone or several someones in to a trap (insert "It's a trap") and team mates from another lance cross in front of us, push through us only to get cored for their stupidity and lack of awareness. Now you're blocking our shots on a trap we laid and you've eliminated our weapons from the fight until you die for your blazingly ignorant move.

It's not nascar, you have no reason to draft, and you should not be that close to me!

Edited by Paul Inouye, 13 November 2013 - 11:41 AM.
Edited title to remove veiled profanity.

#2 Blurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

I thought using someone else as a shield was a valid tactic?
How about you pay attention to your hud and map and realize someone is behind and let them know to back up?

OR better yet your 4 man could actually communicate what you are doing via chat.
But I see you are too good for that as well.]

A lot of the time you get what you give and from what I have seen above - well?

Edited by Blurry, 30 October 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#3 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

View PostBlurry, on 30 October 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

How about you pay attention to your hud and map and realize someone is behind and let them know to back up?

OR better yet your 4 man could actually communicate what you are doing via chat.
But I see you are too good for that as well.

Wow, really. Ok well when I'm trying to back up I shouldn't have to say anything because there shouldn't be anyone on my back. Also how do you figure I got time to open chat, type "please back up so I can not die" fast enough in a battle or firefight? You can't be that dumb.

We have communicated it and dealt with the same results.

Or you could just learn to stay off my back and learn tactics, try that once, or maybe a few times as it may take you longer to figure it out.

#4 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

Yeah, because when you encounter the enemy suddenly and unexpectedly, it's REAL EASY to stop and type in chat "Excuse me, but you've positioned yourself too close to my mech. Could you please reposition youself?"

As he mentioned, the problem is not the members of his own group, but rather the other 8 pilots with whom he is NOT on voice comms.

OP: While you do have a legitimate complaint, your thread title is a little aggressive and some people might interpret that to mean that this is just a [female dog] and [lament] thread.

#5 Blurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

better yet remove premades from pug groups then. Problem solved.

No my only experiences with premades have been very very negative. Save 1
Mainly because of the attitude of these players.

And frankly if you arent willing to take the time to help or teach people what do you expect.
Other then OMG I am Premade get outa my way! I am awesome and I know everything.

Here I will play Nice:

Please stay X away from following mechs.
list reason why
and try to communicate in game,

Do not mention you are premade - gods gift to MWO
the greatest players
and Get the Frack off MY back.

How about most players are maybe new since this game just launched? - nope attitude.
other players trying other things - nope premade trumps all other plans
ect. you come off very elite and self absorbed.

and yes I die because people push me out/run up behind me and I have been playing 2 weeks or so.
You dont see me flipping out - I learn from it and do my best to make sure no one comes up behind me.

Edited by Blurry, 30 October 2013 - 02:39 PM.

#6 MuKen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:49 PM

How does whether he's a pre-made or not have anything to do with the point? You are focusing way too much on the specifics of his story, and missing the point.

People should NOT stand directly behind their allies. You kill them by doing so, and saying "it's ok, you should just tell me when you need to back up" is a terrible solution. If you are taking fire, the time it takes to tell someone behind you to back up is the time it takes you to be crippled or dead by weapons fire. Allies should not crowd each other, ESPECIALLY when they are coming out of cover to fire on the enemy. Which happens in random games all the time, whether or not there happen to be any pre-mades there as well.

I've lost count of the number of times I crest a hill or peek a corner to fire, then try to back into the place I was just at and can't because some "friend" saw me move out and thought "oh, guess that spot's open for me to come into now", and basically killed me as sure as if he had TK'ed me himself.

Do not stand right next to friendlies, it's that easy.

Edited by MuKen, 30 October 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#7 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

The OP is right. 100%. Focus fire is vital for success, but so is having a means of egress. Fire and maneuver. GTF out of the way!

Stop trying to rationalize a counter argument.

#8 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

I'll get off your back when you stop walking in front of me. Sound good?

#9 Pestilens

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:27 AM

The corollary to this. Get the hell out of the choke point, either go through and assault or got the back of the line. I see it time and time again where somebody wants to play peekaboo at the entrance to a choke point and they block off the entire team from passing through. It takes so long for them to finally decide to push forward that the team is enveloped and destroyed.

#10 KHETTI

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

Nothing worse than having some {Dezgra} in an assault, rob you of moving space, block a retreat back into cover, and then wonder why you are raging at them when you basically loose all you medium mechs armor and primary weapons.
I generally let bigger mechs take lead on choke points, and give them enough backing up room if they need it.

#11 MuKen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 30 October 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

I'll get off your back when you stop walking in front of me. Sound good?

You saying "you" and "your" because of some specific incident you had with OP, or are you just the kind of guy that applies problems he had with random strangers to different random strangers arbitrarily?

#12 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostMuKen, on 31 October 2013 - 10:24 AM, said:

You saying "you" and "your" because of some specific incident you had with OP, or are you just the kind of guy that applies problems he had with random strangers to different random strangers arbitrarily?

More like copying the OP since he seems to painting with a rather large brush.

#13 Rizzwind

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 536 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:03 PM

I hate to say it but if you push and then stop to back up your at fault not the guys trying to push with you. Man up if you push it's to late to back out no matter what. Die like a man so the next guy can keep shooting.

#14 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

How about a compromise?

PGI just needs to let us install those on our Atlases... maybe as a special module?

#15 Scott Decoy Stone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 106 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Locationhonolulu, hi

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

i'm guilty of doing this from time to time. usually when i expect the team to push through for an assault. for example, we know there are only 2-3 mechs just ahead of a choke point. the whole group is behind us. guy in front walks completely out of cover i get moving thinking we're gonna push. he suddenly reverses and tries to back up slamming into me. at that point i usually try to reverse but because i'm going full speed it takes time to get to a full stop then reverse. i've started bringing jump capable mechs specifically for this reason. now when someone backs up i just hop right over

#16 Domoneky

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOn The Map

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

I'm guilty of being behind people but as soon as I see them taking fire I try to back up as quick as I can move to the side and provide support.

#17 MuKen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostRizzwind, on 31 October 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

I hate to say it but if you push and then stop to back up your at fault not the guys trying to push with you. Man up if you push it's to late to back out no matter what. Die like a man so the next guy can keep shooting.

There's a whole world of situations that aren't pushes, and even during a push wtf would you be running directly behind a teammate? There is plenty of room to give each other space, and if there isn't, you really shouldn't be pushing here. All the "push through the chokepoint into enemy fire" plays people make are bad ones.

Edited by MuKen, 31 October 2013 - 02:11 PM.

#18 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:16 PM

You can see in front of you, your teammate cannot see behind him. Use some common sense and stop trying to hump him. He's not that into you.

#19 Screech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:23 PM

Or the OP could find cover ahead of himself and allow his fellow members to advance and add their guns to the fight. Might sometimes be a better option then everyone stops to a halt cause chicken little is catching a little incoming fire.

#20 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:33 PM

View PostDomoneky, on 31 October 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

I'm guilty of being behind people but as soon as I see them taking fire I try to back up as quick as I can move to the side and provide support.

That is a reasonable and socially appropriate response.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users