33 replies to this topic

#1 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 01:49 AM

SHD-5M

Maybe not the slickest thing on the field, but you'll definitely generate some hate. Not meant to really be a serious build, but has actually managed to net in some rather serious damage, but I'm always down for some criticism (And yes, I'm a terrible person wasting high mounted torso points on MGuns).

#2 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:33 AM

One question:

OH my God WHY ?

No seriously that build isn't even funny. Not enough endurance to be meatshield, too large to be missed because of your speed and no ranged weapons to harrass from afar.
You will be seen, you will try to close and then you will die. Only possible use of this Mech is to be Scouthunter and basecapper/baseguard.

#3 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:17 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 09 November 2013 - 02:33 AM, said:

One question:

OH my God WHY ?

No seriously that build isn't even funny. Not enough endurance to be meatshield, too large to be missed because of your speed and no ranged weapons to harrass from afar.
You will be seen, you will try to close and then you will die. Only possible use of this Mech is to be Scouthunter and basecapper/baseguard.

It's actually proving to be disgustingly efficient in close quarters. And like I said, it's not meant to be any kind of serious, it's more or less really just supposed to be Spider 2.0. Hang out near (behind) an Atlas or other assault, and wait for them to start to tango with something. 100+ kph and potent short range weapons do a decent chunk of burst, and afterward, you're quick enough to jump back behind your shield.

It's just fun...I mean, not as fun as the 'Over-Under,' sure, but sometimes you just get tired of 'Drop and A/C 20' on it, click ready :ph34r:

Srsly

#4 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:54 AM

if they realy wanted pilots to generate hate we would have firemoth with real flamer one machine gun and proper jump jets...

then we see some troll lol lol

#5 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:49 AM

View Postsneeking, on 09 November 2013 - 03:54 AM, said:

if they realy wanted pilots to generate hate we would have firemoth with real flamer one machine gun and proper jump jets...

then we see some troll lol lol

Well, we only have the one 20T 'mech at the moment, so we can hope.

#6 sneeking

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,586 posts
  • Locationwest OZ

Posted 09 November 2013 - 05:40 AM

hope for real flamers and real jump jets...

lets hope

#7 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

The 2D2 does this better with 4 streaks, BAP, 2 MLs, 1 MG, AMS, and a larger engine. It's a pure light hunter build, but it's durable, works great in close quarters,

#8 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:50 PM

View PostBront, on 12 November 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

The 2D2 does this better with 4 streaks, BAP, 2 MLs, 1 MG, AMS, and a larger engine. It's a pure light hunter build, but it's durable, works great in close quarters,

True, and I run the 2D2 as such, just wanted to port the concept over to one of the other variants. I'm fond of running MGuns in pairs at the very least, which is the primary reasoning I wanted to try for a build using the 5M. The fact it has the fewest Missile Points does seem to make it the least practical, but having the most jump jets was a selling point for me. It's hard to measure just how much better two extra jump jets is, but I would swear that you feel it when you have them.

It's still doing surprisingly well, so long as you maintain yourself as a 'Light hunter/Finisher' position in your team. Went a couple rounds the other night with a dedicated Assault pilot running a close range Battlemaster, and we were tearing things up. Any lights that harassed him died, and when he got something into critical range, I pushed in for the kill while he started focusing on another target.

It looks like a very weak build, but it practically never overheats in the thick of fighting, and if you play to the strengths, it works out.

#9 Training Instructor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:06 AM

AC10+2xLlasers is my favorite build with this one so far.

#10 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 496 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:13 AM

Throw away your AMS and get a BAP unless you wanna get your day ruined by a single ECM.

Edited by Samziel, 13 November 2013 - 06:14 AM.

#11 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 13 November 2013 - 08:06 AM

View PostMercer Skye, on 12 November 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

True, and I run the 2D2 as such, just wanted to port the concept over to one of the other variants. I'm fond of running MGuns in pairs at the very least, which is the primary reasoning I wanted to try for a build using the 5M. The fact it has the fewest Missile Points does seem to make it the least practical, but having the most jump jets was a selling point for me. It's hard to measure just how much better two extra jump jets is, but I would swear that you feel it when you have them.
The 2H is still better with 3 missile hardpoints and 3 MGs for this kind of build. Yeah, you lose 1 energy hardpoint, but you might be able to mount an MPL or LL on it instead at that point.

But it's all about personal preference.

#12 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 13 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostMercer Skye, on 09 November 2013 - 01:49 AM, said:

SHD-5M

Maybe not the slickest thing on the field, but you'll definitely generate some hate. Not meant to really be a serious build, but has actually managed to net in some rather serious damage, but I'm always down for some criticism (And yes, I'm a terrible person wasting high mounted torso points on MGuns).

Yeah, it sure will generate hate. From your own team for bringing this piece of {Scrap}!

View PostMercer Skye, on 09 November 2013 - 03:17 AM, said:

It's actually proving to be disgustingly efficient in close quarters.

Any weapon/mech in the game can kill pugs that aren't paying attention, a good 'mech it does not make.

The under armored arm carrying ammo is the cherry on the Sundae though!

This is good if anyone wants a decent 5M* BTW:
A decent 5M

* A regular PPC may be better in most cases.

Edited by Victor Morson, 13 November 2013 - 02:26 PM.

#13 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 05:01 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 13 November 2013 - 02:21 PM, said:

Yeah, it sure will generate hate. From your own team for bringing this piece of {Scrap}!

*snip*

This is good if anyone wants a decent 5M* BTW:
A decent 5M

* A regular PPC may be better in most cases.

Fun, for some poptarting does not make.

I bet you'll say that my 5M is terrible.

Which makes no difference to me because I enjoy it and have great success with it.

For Mercer's build, that's basically what my 2D2 is. Mine just has more streaks, no MG's and I believe as many jumpjets as can fit. A surprisingly nimble and effective mech.

Although, what about swapping one of those lasers for a Flamer to truly troll?

#14 Demogarose

• PipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 20 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia area

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:01 PM

View PostBront, on 13 November 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

The 2H is still better with 3 missile hardpoints and 3 MGs for this kind of build. Yeah, you lose 1 energy hardpoint, but you might be able to mount an MPL or LL on it instead at that point.

But it's all about personal preference.

something like http://mwo.smurfy-ne...35887d37cd46848 perhaps?

#15 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

is it in the dungeon?

#16 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:59 PM

Machine guns are never a valid weapon to use. Ever. If you want to troll, do it with some style and bring a medium with loads of energy hard points and flamers. Don't use machine guns though, they're so sad they're not even funny.

#17 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 14 November 2013 - 11:18 PM

''Troll build''? I fail to see how.

5Ms are mediocre because they are jack of all trades and master of none.

I'll be selling mine shortly because it will never do anything the 2D2 or 2H can't do better.

#18 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:27 AM

View PostAppogee, on 14 November 2013 - 11:18 PM, said:

''Troll build''? I fail to see how.

5Ms are mediocre because they are jack of all trades and master of none.

I'll be selling mine shortly because it will never do anything the 2D2 or 2H can't do better.

It's a frickin' ninja though. With lasers and {scrap}. Seriously, such rough language (in general) for what is really just a fun build. Everyone likes to cram what they use on heavier 'mechs into smaller 'mechs to see if it can work, why is it so wrong to try and do in a bigger 'mech what smaller 'mechs get away with?

Sheesh, just wanted to share my Crouching Locust, Hidden Dragon-1C kung pow 'mech.

As far as being trollish, those MGuns chew up internals like candy. Usually netting a kill for fairly little effort, and not heat deficit.

Edited by Mercer Skye, 15 November 2013 - 01:42 AM.

#19 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 01:46 AM

View PostLunatech, on 14 November 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

Fun, for some poptarting does not make.

I bet you'll say that my 5M is terrible.

Which makes no difference to me because I enjoy it and have great success with it.

For Mercer's build, that's basically what my 2D2 is. Mine just has more streaks, no MG's and I believe as many jumpjets as can fit. A surprisingly nimble and effective mech.

Although, what about swapping one of those lasers for a Flamer to truly troll?

You need to drop the engine down to about 180 and pack another LB 10x in. 'Hobo with a Shotgun.' Thing is hilarious. Can't count how many times I've been face hugged in one by people who think a 53kph S.Hawk is just something to walk over, just to eat up their CT.

Does run a little short on ammo, though :P dueling things with a small laser (OH, and still going for all five JJs) can be tedious.

*Seriously some people just need to loosen up those cooling vests some and step away from the Max Dps spreadsheets and have some fun in their 'mechs.

Edited by Mercer Skye, 15 November 2013 - 01:52 AM.

#20 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 15 November 2013 - 07:34 AM

The problem with machine guns is that while they may do extra damage to internals, you need to get through armour first.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users