[ Best Newbie 'mech Guide ]

181 replies to this topic

#1 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

[Mod note: Edited this post to reflect the most recent version of this guide created by the same author as it's a good guide despite the thread itself degenerating. ]

I decided to put a 'mech guide up that actually includes all of the 'mechs, ranked by a simple 1-5 star system, with a brief explanation of why a pilot may or may not want to buy a specific 'mech. I hope this helps new pilots even more than my last 'mech buying guide thread, as it answers questions that frequently came up!

Assaults

Highlander - [5 Stars]

The Highlander is currently the best assault in the game. Jump capable with a diverse set of load outs and firepower that fits perfectly with both the old and new metagame, you can't beat the Highlander if you are looking for an assault's assault. A must have for anyone interested in assaults. I would recommend starting with the 733 or 733C first in the current meta.

Popular Configs: 2 AC5, 2 PPC - 1 AC20, 2 PPC - 2 UAC/5 2 PPC

Victor - [5 Stars]

The Victor sits at the midpoint between heavy and assault, weighing in at 80 tons. It's just light enough to carry lighter jump jets than the Highlander and is extremely maneuverable for an assault. The Victor 9S is the best variant to start with, giving you a wide variety of options and hard points.

Popular Configs: 2 AC5, 2 PPC - 1 AC20, 2 PPC

Atlas - [4.5 Stars]

The Variant that brings the Atlas to such a high rating is the DDC. Being the only non-light at present to carry ECM, DDCs are sometimes used in specific strategies centering around ECM that make them useful to have. The other Atlas are capable 'mechs that aren't exactly pushovers, but they just aren't up to the standards set by the Highlander. Overall the Atlas isn't a bad chassis to pick up, but it should be a second priority.

Stalker - [4 Stars]

The Stalker has suffered greatly from Ghost Heat, making most of it's effective laser & PPC configurations worthless. The Misery, if you own one, can help inject some life into the chassis, but overall, it's really a step back.

Battlemaster - [3.5 Stars]

If Ghost Heat were to go away, the BattleMaster would be a 5 Star Chassis in my opinion, though many debate the Stalker would continue to reign supreme. Either way, with the current metagame, the Battlemaster is merely a faster and inferior Stalker. The Battlemaster's status could easily change with the flow of the metagame so don't count it entirely out yet.

Awesome - [1 Star]

The Awesome is a tragedy if you enjoyed the TT version. Suffering from Ghost Heat restrictions in it's load out, huge torsos, a slow maximum engine outside of the inferior 9M and a terrible hero, the Awesome is all around a huge failure. Avoid this chassis at all costs.

Heavies

Cataphract - [5 Star]

The Cataphract is the best all around chassis in the game right now. With it's great hard point load outs and diverse variants, the Cataphract is capable of changing with any metagame and still remaining on top. The 3D is considered the best variant universally, with jump capability and a great hard point balance. The 4X has gone from the bottom of the pile to the top in recent times, with 4 AC/5 configurations dominating. All around this is a must have chassis for anyone remotely interested in heavies. It's balanced hit boxes make it work well in both Standard and XL configurations.

Popular Configs: 2 AC5, 2 PPC - 1 AC20, 2 PPC, 1 AC20 4 ML, 4 LL, 1 AC20 2 SRM6 2 ML

Jagermech - [4 Star]

The Jagermech is an oddity in that is extremely easy to kill with huge side torsos, but is still used on occasion thanks to it's very high gun mounts. This means it can peak over hills and fire, without worrying about the low mounted guns hitting mountainside. If you enjoy sniping or occasionally want to roll twin AC/20s, the Jagermech is a good option, but I would not recommend it as a starting 'mech.

Popular Configs: 2 AC/20, 2 Gauss, 3 UAC/5, 2 AC/2 2 AC/5

Catapult - [4 Star]

Due to Ghost Heat's impact on missiles along with poor hit detection on SRMs, the Catapult is actually a rather poor chassis all around. The reason it is at 4 Stars instead of lower is the Catapult K2, which is arguably the most effective twin AC/20 'mech at present; it trades huge side torsos for a larger head. I'd advise against running a traditional LRM Catapult, as it is too slow to properly range the weapon; you are generally better off with short range configurations on the other models. If you do run an LRM configuration make sure to pick a model with energy slots, and not the all-missile A1, so you can equip a TAG Laser.

Popular Configs: 2 AC/20, 2 Gauss

Quickdraw - [3.5 Star]

It was a hard call putting this fairly decent 'mech so low on the list, but you never see them compared to the above 'mechs and rightfully so. Sometimes they can work out, but ultimately they are too huge and their firepower is too heavily centered on energy & missiles, which are not very powerful at the moment again due to Ghost Heat and hit detection. It's not a terrible 'mech but it's just not as good as the others on this list.

Thunderbolt - [3 Star]

I don't have much to say about the Thunderbolt. It's got pretty bad hitboxes and while I've seen some people do very well with them, there's nothing too outstanding about them either that I can tell. The jumping model is the worst one, or it might have been solid. A total middle of the road 'mech that might bump up the list if someone comes up with a unique use for them. If you already own them, they do outperform the Jester at it's own role, at least.

Orion - [3 Star]

Another one I hated putting on this list, because I love it in table top. I had hoped this would prove to be a superior brawler to the Cataphract, but ultimately this prediction was mostly unfounded; it's lack of ability to jump combined with it's low mounted guns do make it have an edge in brawling, but suffer at all other ranges. The large missile hunch is also a downside, almost forcing the need for a Standard engine to run this this effectively.

Dragon - [1 Star]

With the exception of the Flame, the Dragon is the worst chassis in the game. It's hard points are placed so you can't use them effectively, the hit boxes are bad, and it's just generally terrible. It also works poorly with Gauss now. Avoid this heavy at all costs.

Mediums

Shadow Hawk - [5 Star]

Ton for ton, the Shadow Hawk is the best 'mech in the game. While heavier 'mechs might be able to take it in a fight, you simply do not get more bang for your buck out of 55 tons. Easily dethroning the Centurion for the best medium slot, the Shadow Hawk can do it all - missiles, ballistics, and energy-backed ballistics. It has very high mounted guns, good jump capability, and great hard points combined with a decent hitbox. Every single model is great, with the 5M and 2D2 being the real stand outs. From light hunting Streak 'mechs to meta AC/5 snipers, get this 'mech.

Popular Configs: 2x AC/5 1x PPC, 1x AC/20 2x ML 2 Streak/2, 2x LRM/15 1x TAG, 4 Streak/2 2 ML

Centurion - [4.5 Star]

Still the best 50 tonner in the game if not the best medium, the Centurion is known for one thing: High durability. It is terrible with any build outside of the AL that uses the arms (They are easily hit and cost a lot of tonnage to armor), but if you keep weapons limited to the torsos and use your now expendable arms as shields, it's one of the most survivable 'mechs in the game and one of the most newbie friendly. If you want a simple brawler that's highly effective and very easy to learn, the Centurion is still very good at that. Keep in mind this 'mech, like the Catapult, has bay doors which grant extra side torso armor but delay shots - / to open them, negating the armor bonus for instant firing. Make sure to never put ammo in Centurion legs, as that is the most popular way to try to kill them at the moment.

The Centurion 9A is widely regarded as the best variant, and the Centurion 9D remains a standout as a 50 tonner that can move like a Jenner, as well.

Popular Configs: 3x SRM6 2x ML, 3x SRM4 2x MPL, 2x LRM/15 1x TAG, 4x SPL 2x SRM6.

Blackjack - [4.5 Star]

The Blackjack has begun springing up as a popular jump sniper or AC/20 brawler for low weight configurations. If you're interested in league play or the upcoming weight matching, for 45 tons you can't do much better than the Blackjack, the smallest 'mech that can fit AC/20 without suffering horribly for it, and jump in the process. This 'mech I'd recommend to experienced pilots only and it will be outclassed by Shadow Hawks, but it's great for the tonnage.

Cicada - [4 Star]

The Cicada is effectively a larger Jenner, except some models lack jump jets. While this sounds like a slight, it does come up in League play sometimes, to help sink extra weight into the configuration and meet minimum requirements. The Cicada is a good choice for a first ECM 'mech if a pilot has mostly spent time playing in lights like the Jenner, and I can recommend it for serious scout pilots. While it's technically a medium, it is effectively a light in play style and you should definitely pick up a Jenner first instead if you do not already have one.

Trebuchet - [4 Star]

The Trebuchet hit boxes and hardpoint layout make it slightly inferior to the Centurion, despite it's jumping capability. It's not a terrible 'mech and can carry similar loadouts to the Cent, but without the Cent's durability, it merely falls slightly short of being an equal replacement. One strength the Trebuchet does have is the 3C, which is the best 50 tonner that can move at Jenner speeds. Outside of leagues with chassis restrictions, however, I cannot recommend most Trebuchets for serious games.

Popular Configs: 3 SRM6 3 ML, 4 ML 2 Streak2, 2 LRM15 1 TAG

Hunchback - [3.5 Star]

The Hunchback is slower than other mediums, it can't jump, and it sports a huge hunch that can count as a front torso hit from any angle it's shot. If it weren't for the 4SP which corrects many of these hitbox flaws (while providing a good hard point layout) the Hunchback would have likely disappeared from the field entirely. It's a sub-par 'mech that a lot of people are nostalgic for. Avoid it unless you have nothing else to buy.

Kintaro - [2 Star]

The Kintaro has a big problem. I mean that literally, the 'mech is the size of a Highlander while carrying the armor of a medium - something that has really doomed it to failure from the beginning. While the Kintaro-18 with 5 Streak/2s remains a decent light hunter, the 2D2 carrying one less Streak in exchange for jump jets has replaced it's popularity and with good reason. Overall this 'mech is way too huge and carries weapons that clash badly with Ghost Heat limitations, making it a really bad chassis overall.

I give the KTO-18 an exception rating of 3.5.

Popular Configs: 5 Streak/2, 2ML.

Lights

Jenner - [5 Star]

If you want a light there is no other viable option for a first 'mech. It's highly durable, carries heavy firepower for it's size, is jump capable and offers three very good variants with different flavors. The Jenner is the best scout, the best light dog fighter and also extremely capable at hitting heavier 'mechs. If you have any interest in lights, pick up a Jenner ASAP. All variants are highly recommended.

Popular Configs: 4 ML 2 Streak/2, 4 ML, 6 ML, 6 SPL

Raven - [4 Star]

The Raven 3L with ECM and a energy sniping weapons like the ER Large is becoming a popular sight on the field these days, and it can prove to be extremely powerful. However it's also for advanced pilots only, and is a very specific niche in the light class. If you are just starting out, select a Jenner without question every time.

Popular Configs: 2 ER LL.

Spider - [3.5 Star]

The Spider's new hitbox has taken this 'mech down a peg, as it's a little easier to strike now. Overall the Spider's only advantage is offering the only jumping 'mech with ECM, which can be utilized in very specific settings. However, weak hardpoints and little other advantages make this 'mech impossible to recommend right now over the Jenner or Raven as first selections. If you are a serious light 'mech pilot, pick this up sometime, otherwise give it a pass.

Commando - [2.5 Star]

The Commando isn't terrible, for 25 tons. The problem is right now, 25 tons isn't something you ever need to even consider. Outclassed horribly by 35 ton 'mechs (and with good reason - that's nearly a third bigger!), the Commando can still mount some somewhat usable Streak configurations. It will never stand up to a Jenner in a fight, and without jets, it's too easy for heavies to strike down as well. I'd avoid this one.

Locust - [0.5 Star]

This is the worst light 'mech. The forced heat sink minimum means that you can't even fill all the hard points on half the models. It's easy to hit and pops with minimal effort. An awful 'mech that you should totally avoid, always.

HEROES

Ilya Muromets - [5 Star]

Cataphract

Considered the best hero in the game, the Ilya is a great Cataphract for generating huge damage numbers - translating to huge cbill profits. Typically running AC/5s and UACs, the Ilya is a cross between the 3D's movement capabilities and the 4X's ballistics, allowing it to carry many popular, effective configurations. If it had jump jets it would surpass the 3D as the best 'mech in the game, but as it lacks them, it is merely the best hero. Highly recommended for anyone looking to grind cash and get into Cataphracts.

Popular Configs: 3 AC/5 3 ML, 3 UAC/5, 3 UAC/5 3 ML, 2 Gauss, 3 AC/10

Heavy Metal - [5 Star]

Highlander

At first glance it might appear to be a gimmicky hero that plays music with kills, but it's really one of the best Highlanders for serious play and cash grinding alike. With it's firepower split between different side torsos, the Heavy Metal can be a far more durable and long lasting Highlander than it's cbill compatriots. Run with a standard engine.

Popular Configs: 2 AC/5 2 PPC

Dragon Slayer - [5 Star]

Victor

Simply put, the Dragon Slayer is a very solid variant of the Victor, which is already a great 'mech for pilots looking for a balance between slow assaults and faster heavies. The Dragon Slayer is a good competitive and cash grinding 'mech that you are likely to see in any kind of game.

Firebrand - [4.5 Star]

Jagermech

This is a fairly neat Jager variant that opens up some fun possibilities in pugs, but ultimately in serious matches, will be carrying the same AC/20 or Gauss as any other Jager. Still, if you want to get a cbill bonus for this style of play, I can definitely recommend it to people. Again, Jagermechs are a niche unit, so I definitely recommend you consider the above options first.

Misery - [4 Star]

Stalker

The absolute best Stalker, the Misery is capable of bringing an AC/20 along with it's other weapons, allowing it to keep up with the current meta game far better than the other models that lack ballistics. While it is a hard sell over the Highlander, if you already own Stalkers, this is a worthwhile version of them. They are not likely to be found much in serious competition but it's still a solid 'mech.

Flame - [4 Star]

Dragon

Running an AC/20 and MLs, the Flame is actually a very solid brawling 'mech. With it's ballistic in the side torso, it makes for a very nimble hard hitting 60 tonner that defies the chassis. The downside is to master it, you'd need to own all the other Dragons. Recommended for the poor souls who already own at least two Dragons ONLY.

Boar's Head - [3.5 Star]

Atlas

The Boar's Head is a fairly decent Atlas, in particular when it runs 6 Medium Laser configurations. It's easily one of the better models of the chassis, really. The downside, of course, is that Atlas are generally unseen sights outside of the DDC, as anything the Atlas can do, the Highlander can do better except ECM. If you really enjoy Atlas, this isn't a bad PUG 'mech, but you're likely to get limited use out of it in serious teams. If Ghost Heat were removed, 6 Large Lasers could be a devastating configuration for this chassis but is currently not recommended.

Protector - [3 Star]

Orion

A decent version of an alright 'mech. There's not a lot more I can say about it. It's not too special, but it's not really bad either. There's better options but there's worse ones too.

Jester - [2.5 Star]

Catapult

While not the very worst hero, Ghost Heat basically makes it a sub-par Catapult. Had it fitted even a single ballistic, it might have been something. If you already own enough Catapults to master it and pick it up, run it with twin AMS consistently as it's really the most notable thing about an otherwise pretty sub-par Catapult.

Death's Kneel - [2 Star]

Commando

There's nothing really wrong with this hero except it's a Commando. There's no getting around that. It was doomed from the start for being too light to cut it in even moderate weight drops.

Yen-Lo-Wang - [1.5 Star]

Centurion

The YLW goes wrong in exactly one place: It has Centurion arms. Centurion Arms are notoriously easy to hit and are a good reason for the 'mechs legendary durability. It's also why all the successful designs don't put any heavy guns in the arms - no guns at all most of the time. Long story short is if any experience player sees a YLW, they know it has 90% of it's firepower in an easily destroyed area and will cripple you instantly.

Fang - [1 Star]

Dragon

Released as the "Twin Dragon" with the Flame, this is more like the movie Twins. Everywhere the Flame goes right to exceed it's class, the Fang goes wrong, ultimately being a regular dragon with a dumb skin. Skip this 'mech.

Pretty Baby - [1 Star]

Awesome

The Pretty Baby is an inferior Awesome 9M Hardpoint wise, with a special paint job. While it can move much faster than the typical Awesome, it can still be kept up with by Victors that carry far, far more effective firepower. Avoid this one entirely. One of the worst heroes, on one of the worst chassis.

Golden Boy - [0 Star]

Kintaro

The worst hero in the game. I can't say enough bad things about the Golden Boy- it effectively adds exactly one energy hardpoint to the KTO-18 for about a third of it's top speed. As the KTO-18 is primarily good at light hunting, this utterly cripples the Golden Boy. It's as big as an assault, and now, tops out at the same speed as one! Skip the Golden Boy and just buy a KTO-18 if you really like Kintaros. Or better yet, buy a Shadow Hawk.

--------

I'm sure I missed a bunch of stuff, but I think this guide is far more complete than my old one, as it includes all of the 'mechs and why they are good/bad, instead of just talking about the good ones. I hope this helps someone.

UPDATE: Added the Trebuchet (Woops!), fixed typos, added Jenner configs. Fixed more typos, bugged censoring, and added Misery and Boar's Head.

Edited by GM Reppu, 13 May 2014 - 08:04 AM.
Updating guide

#2 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:25 PM

I TOTALLY ENDORSE THIS THREAD!

Disclaimer: I generally disagree with Victor on anything he wants to say to new players on the grounds that what he is talking about is like a billion light years above the heads of the Newbs.

#3 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:51 PM

If we're talking about brand new players in a solo PUG environment, then I disagree with Victor's recommendations.

Highlanders are death traps for newbs because they're so slow. A Victor is a much better choice for a first Assault mech.

Likewise, a Jager is a better choice for a Heavy. The high mounted ballistic hard points alone make it easier to use than a Cataphract. In fact, get a Firebrand and enjoy extra C-Bills and the choice of either energy or ballistic loadouts.

Medium. None are that good in my opinion. I recommend newbs avoid mediums.

Lights. Jenners are probably the best, so I agree with Victor here.

#4 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:58 PM

View PostNRP, on 22 November 2013 - 04:51 PM, said:

If we're talking about brand new players in a solo PUG environment, then I disagree with Victor's recommendations.

Highlanders are death traps for newbs because they're so slow. A Victor is a much better choice for a first Assault mech.

Likewise, a Jager is a better choice for a Heavy. The high mounted ballistic hard points alone make it easier to use than a Cataphract. In fact, get a Firebrand and enjoy extra C-Bills and the choice of either energy or ballistic loadouts.

If a Newb is going to get an Assault then HGN>VTR
If a Newb is going to get a Heavy then CTF-3D>Everything else
If a Newb is going to get a Medium then SHD>Everything else
If a Newb is going to get a Light then ONLY THE MOST IQ LACKING MOUTH BREATHER WOULD GET ANYTHING BUT A JENNER!

The list is the list of the most min/max course. Yeah, Hunchbacks, Spiders, Victors, and Jagermechs might be more immediately useful but none of them will stand the course of time!

#5 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:47 PM

So Vic's advise for new players is to run meta?

gg close..

My advice for new players... Get a dragon, if you can pilot a dragon you can pilot anything..

The name of the game is to bring your piloting and gunnery skills up...

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:16 PM

I'm gonna love this. Even easier than killing meta players is killing meta players who picked up a generic set of rigs belonging to foreign play-styles. I'm figuring in a few weeks this will go viral, all the new players will be doing it, and I'll be able to quadruple my kdr. All I need is to pick up some more new players to sink what ELO average I'll be in and then I can go on a marathon.

Can't wait. Giggity.

#7 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 22 November 2013 - 07:44 PM

View PostMycrus, on 22 November 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

So Vic's advise for new players is to run meta?

gg close..

My advice for new players... Get a dragon, if you can pilot a dragon you can pilot anything..

The name of the game is to bring your piloting and gunnery skills up...

View PostKoniving, on 22 November 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

I'm gonna love this. Even easier than killing meta players is killing meta players who picked up a generic set of rigs belonging to foreign play-styles. I'm figuring in a few weeks this will go viral, all the new players will be doing it, and I'll be able to quadruple my kdr. All I need is to pick up some more new players to sink what ELO average I'll be in and then I can go on a marathon.

Can't wait. Giggity.

OK so a Jenner is bad? It is the Meta? owait until a few days ago all the high elo players were running spiders for the broken hit boxes! So a Jenner is not better than every other light? Seriously? Sarah wants to invite you to a match!

Shadow Hawks don't rule? I opened a new thread discussing whether or not it should become the new GOTO choice for New Players and Mediums in general. Even you agreed Koniving.

Cataphract 3D isn't boss? Only like the most recommended Heavy ever! Add in the Ilya and not even a contest!

Highlanders aren't better than Awesomes? Their smaller twin the Victor? The plz let me move before you shoot me Stalkers? Ooooooo wait! The Atlas DDC has ECM rawr win... pew pew bang BOOM... diaf... thanks for holding still!

I hate (perhaps too strong a word) agreeing with Victor on anything he posts in New Players!
I also hate (correct word) disagreeing with you Koniving but there is nothing at all wrong with this post!

Not for first choices in New Players!

Would you prefer...
Locust?
Trebuchet?
Catapult?
Awesome?

#8 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:05 PM

View PostscJazz, on 22 November 2013 - 07:44 PM, said:

OK so a Jenner is bad? It is the Meta? owait until a few days ago all the high elo players were running spiders for the broken hit boxes! So a Jenner is not better than every other light? Seriously? Sarah wants to invite you to a match!

It is more that people who pick a mech or build because it is 'good' do not necessarily take the time to learn why it is good, or even practice with it.
Making them easy targets, even for builds like Koniving favors. :P
Whenever someone posts a guide like this, the amount of 'oh that is a good build, it will let me win' (emphasis mine) skyrockets, and thus his KDR skyrockets as well. :ph34r:

#9 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:19 PM

View PostShar Wolf, on 22 November 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

It is more that people who pick a mech or build because it is 'good' do not necessarily take the time to learn why it is good, or even practice with it.
Making them easy targets, even for builds like Koniving favors. :ph34r:
Whenever someone posts a guide like this, the amount of 'oh that is a good build, it will let me win' (emphasis mine) skyrockets, and thus his KDR skyrockets as well. :lol:

OK but Koniving like practically never runs PUG... he even said it... he runs the goofy builds when he can get someone to suck his ELO. Even then he runs them on TS.

So uhhh... exactly how does Vic's list not represent the best of the best that you might have to grow into but still isn't wasted time or money?

Seriously!?!? I hate Assaults! I bought and sold my first one, a HGN-732, in under 12 hours just because I hated it. 5 months later I have another HGN and while I have Mastered every Victor it is not only clear but obvious that the HGN is better and I still haven't finished BASIC!

While Redshift, Koniving, and Victor all have more knowledge than I do regarding MWO.

AFAIK... I'm the only one posting in New Players who insists on PUG only... no comms, no teams, just play :P

This is the criteria for evaluating posts here.

#10 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

A little e-peening to drive my point home..

I've mastered all variants of jenners, ravens, commandos, spiders, trebs, cents, hunchies, pults, phracts, dragons, awesomes, atlas

I'm working on pheonix mechs and victors

When I mean all variants... I mean every single damn variant there is... (I think I have 77 mechs now)..

I play pugs, 4s, 12s.

I even won 12-man with comstar pugs vs Vic & blazing aces.

And I've done all this with a 260ms ping and a joystick..

After a degree of mechlab competency - better pilots win games and not certain magical meta builds (I'm talking post pee pee cee + goose rifle nurfs).

Edited by Mycrus, 22 November 2013 - 08:32 PM.

#11 LapsedPacifist79

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 134 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:27 PM

First mech? A HBK will show you the way. Cheap and fast with a good hard punch plus it forces you to consider your enviroment and your physical form. An ideal learning mech IMHumbleO.

My HBKs, HGNs and CTFs are the ones I always come back to.

#12 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:46 PM

What no counter arguments?

gg close then...

#13 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 22 November 2013 - 08:52 PM

View PostscJazz, on 22 November 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

OK but Koniving like practically never runs PUG... he even said it... he runs the goofy builds when he can get someone to suck his ELO. Even then he runs them on TS.

So uhhh... exactly how does Vic's list not represent the best of the best that you might have to grow into but still isn't wasted time or money?

/shrugs
I had no real argument against the purpose of the topic to begin with, I was trying to explain what koniving may have meant.
Having said that unless someone goes out of their way to drop with me, I am with you in the no-comms pure-puggery

#14 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

While Victor's post here I agree with as some of the best light-->assault, this shouldn't limit them from getting other mechs. Maybe a Cataphract is a good starter, but it should lead the way to being able to drive harder to use machines, like the Jager or the Catapult. Same as Highlander being pointed to as the best starter, still is good to get a Victor or Atlas as starter instead (well Atlas is a bit expensive.) Jenner and Shadow Hawk however, I must agree with them both. Centurion is also solid. I personally used before Hunchies and they are good as starters, but Shadow Hawks are nearly full upgrades to the Hunchies. The only thing the Hunchie can do better is teach the protection of the hunch, which is good to learn, especially for later mechs, like arm mounted centurions or atlas ballistics. So good guide in general, but shouldn't lead the beginners from purchasing something else.

#15 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:25 AM

View PostMycrus, on 22 November 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

Do you hate new players?

You must hate them. Nobody recommends non-Flame Dragons to people.

I will give you the Victor is a decent starting choice too, but it plays like the between zone between heavy and assault. It deserves an honorable mention, and I'll edit the OP to give it one. However, Highlanders are not "death traps for newbs" and they can be made to approach 64+kph quite easily. If a newbie is looking for an assault chassis, I stand by the Highlander as the best introduction.

Did you not read the OP where I bring up squishiness? Not only is in general the Cataphract a better 'mech, newbies are better off buying a chassis with jump capability and a good assortment of meta setups over the niche of ridging with high mounted guns... plus they can get that in the Shadow Hawk.

This is poor advice. The Shadow Hawk and Centurion are both easy to use, highly flexible 'mechs that are just as good for newbies as competitive players.

We agree on something!

#16 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 23 November 2013 - 12:30 AM

View PostLapsedPacifist79, on 22 November 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

First mech? A HBK will show you the way. Cheap and fast with a good hard punch plus it forces you to consider your enviroment and your physical form. An ideal learning mech IMHumbleO.

My HBKs, HGNs and CTFs are the ones I always come back to.

HBKs are inferior in every way to Centurions and Shadow Hawks, however. I believe in recommending newbies to the best mainstream 'mechs first, and then allowing them to branch out once they've gotten a handle on the game.

The Hunchback is not worthy of that recommendation in it's current state.

View PostMycrus, on 22 November 2013 - 08:26 PM, said:

A little e-peening to drive my point home..

I've mastered all variants of jenners, ravens, commandos, spiders, trebs, cents, hunchies, pults, phracts, dragons, awesomes, atlas

Mastering all the 'mechs hardly makes you a master of 'mechs, if you know what I mean, man. Besides, this isn't all about "magic meta builds", they are just the "popular builds." The point of this guide is to steer people to 'mechs that are highly diverse and will grow with the meta, or what they want to do with it.

There's a hundred ways to run a Shadow Hawk.

View PostKoniving, on 22 November 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

Can't wait. Giggity.

True post: Every new player we introduce to the proper builds and chassis goes "Oh man, I didn't know I could do that much damage!" shortly after. There isn't much to understand on why certain gun setups are good.

And again this thread isn't even about the gun setups. It's about chassis recommendations. That's why I have "popular load outs" with some examples, not Smurfy links.

#17 Mycrus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:20 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 23 November 2013 - 12:30 AM, said:

Mastering all the 'mechs hardly makes you a master of 'mechs, if you know what I mean, man. Besides, this isn't all about "magic meta builds", they are just the "popular builds." The point of this guide is to steer people to 'mechs that are highly diverse and will grow with the meta, or what they want to do with it.

There's a hundred ways to run a Shadow Hawk.

I aint a master Brah, just a troll.

Apart from being a troll, I've been around the block a few times to know better than to think that a "meta" exists...

If your mechs and builds were superior, why then did we have a gg close 12-man match where me with my pugs won against you and your unit.

Me and my pugs shouldda been roflstompped right?

#18 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 03:59 AM

So much e-peen...

OP, I agree with the spirit of the thread. I perhaps wouldn't have posted the weapon configs myself - experimentation was half the fun for me way back when. And steering them towards the easy mode combinations has disadvantages as well as bonuses. Sure, those builds are popular for a reason - high-damage and limited face time. But what about when those weapons are adjusted? Even more QQ here about how X weapon system now suxx0rs after Y nerf.

My 2c - Assault, have to agree that Victors and Highlanders are the way to go. Awesomes perhaps for the more masochistic newbies...

Heavy, Cata(phract)(pult), Jaegermech. The former and latter because they are good mechs (and if nothing else the Jaeger will emphasise, with no misunderstanding, the value of not being shot), and the middle because hey, everyone needs to try a missile boat at some point. Some are better suited to lurming than blamming anyhow.

Medium, Hunchback, Centurion, Shadowhawk. In any particular order, but perhaps the SHD last so they can better appreciate how damned good the thing is :P

Light, Jenner. Maybe Raven.

#19 Viper2112

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 23 November 2013 - 06:23 AM

Thanks, this should help..Been playing this since the pen and paper version of the 1980's and then all the computer games since Crescent Hawks inception- well now this..BUT I know everything is relative and different I know what Mechs USED to be decent but anymore no idea. Thanks for the help. I mean back when I was playing the pen and paper version the Raven had JUST come out and was THE scout mech to have :P as it was one of the first back then to use the "new tech".....seemingly after reading not so much anymore(though back then we were playing the game as it stood JUST before the Clans showed up.

So stuff like C2,BAP,ECM,double heat sinks,different types of missiles(other then just short and long range),the new armors and inner structures, new XL,pulse,LB-x, all that stuff was cutting edge..back then only Wolfs Dragoons(being clan castoffs) and Grey Death legion(after finding the computer core) were "more" equipped :ph34r:

Edited by Viper2112, 23 November 2013 - 06:29 AM.

#20 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:50 AM

Hunchback 4G:
Start with this (3,694,490), swap the small laser for a CASE to get this this (3,794,490), then upgrade to double heatsinks and add a medium laser and 2 tons of ammo to get this (5,418,496) or go the extra mile and upgrade the engine, internals and armor to get this (7,667,826)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users