Midale Rp 2.0 Ooc

Fiction

351 replies to this topic

#21 RogueSpear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationOn the dim edges of the map labelled only: Here be Urbanmechs.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:49 AM

My only problem with that section is 'Why?'
Spies cost money, especially one that's been trained/in operation/whatever for four years. They'd need a good reason to send her in. I assume you have something for that. If you don't...why is she an ISF agent? It's the Chekov's gun thing. For those who don't know it, 'Chekov's gun' is from this quote:

"Remove everything that has no relevance to the story. If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there."

So if you've worked out a plan with Thom for why she's an ISF agent and is there and know what you're doing with that, then great. If not, then yes I hate it ;)

I'll hammer out a bio as soon as possible. I've not been feeling Kent of late, or really making another mechwarrior. I may potentially try to join Spokes in the ASF wing if she rejoins, or perhaps a tank or something. I'll see :)

Edited by RogueSpear, 26 November 2013 - 08:49 AM.

#22 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSearounders Tavern, Port St. Williams, Coventry

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:09 AM

I did mention no spies...

#23 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:04 AM

Damn...I was seriously debating trying to do a Wolfnet/ROM spy just for sh*ts and giggles. Was thinking something like him making his first report and getting a message back going 'Black arrows? You fool! You were to join the Midnight Bolts!' or similar...

#24 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

i am just going to scrap the character concept entirely. to put it simply, i have to figure out how someone got out of the combine with a mech (really they are the most closed faction, which is why i can't even think of a merc unit that hails from there). that means they had some reason to do it. and i can't fluff one for the life of me. which leaves me with fugitive, or they were on orders.

will try some other character concept later...

#25 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

They're the most closed, but they're not completely locked down. Travel is possible. The WDs have quite the relationship with them, and while the Scriptwriter is on Their Side, they evidence pretty clearly that it's entirely possible for Combine warriors to up sticks and leave.

#26 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:33 AM

but considering the martial tint, do you really think they would be able to bring their machines with them? the only warriors who would own their machines would be the nobles. The ones who take the entire honor code way too seriously. so either A you need to be on another realms planet and find a way to desert there, or you need to somehow smuggle a multi-million dollar machine when the ISF is searching every dropship from top to bottom looking for you. It is like the clans, you would have to have extraordinary circumstances for a warrior to be able to desert, let alone take his mech with him.

plus, the wolf dragoons is a special case, they're one of the few merc commands that is capable of moving on their own.

Edited by dal10, 26 November 2013 - 11:35 AM.

#27 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

As I understand it, the DC regards a warrior's mech like a samurai's sword. That's your sword. End of story. When you get promoted to another unit, the mech goes with you. Getting your mech forcibly replaced is a huge dishonour, being gifted a 'better' mech is a huge honour. I believe the majority of them are owned by the warriors themselves, at least in name. But I couldn't swear to it. Either way, the same applies to every military. How exactly do you take *their* mech and just walk out?

#28 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

I doubt that even in this era (pre-tech renaissance) a majority of mechs were owned by the pilots. I REALLY doubt it. maybe in the sword of light regiments, which were mostly nobles, this might be the case. but a regular division? no way.

the only other house that maybe had a significant percentage of mechs owned by the pilots themselves was davion. The other knights of the realm kingdom.

most of them would be owned by the military itself then assigned to a pilot. a pilot would likely keep piloting the same mech because every mech is slightly different, even the same model. A pilot who had been piloting it for decades would be better with his mech than almost any other pilot in existence, not counting the greatest of the greatest like the avatar of angst Kai allard liao. (though he isn't a factor at this time)

Edited by dal10, 26 November 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#29 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

I defer to greater lore masters, like I said it was just the impression I got :P Nothing wrong with playing a minor noble or inserting a few minor heroic moments to justify it. The one big hero moment tends to be a bit clichéd, let's not Brian D it ;)

#30 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:27 PM

fair enough. Still going to scrap kasuga entirely. i currently got 2 capellans and a davion going. so probably will pick up a marik. (i refuse to play steiner due to IRL issues with one of their mwo units.)

#31 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

I think that a merc unit would jump at the chance of taking on a Sun Zhang military academy grad, mech or no mech. I think that in the MW2 RPG they stated that it was THEE most prestigious of all the Inner Sphere's military academies. I'd argue against that, but I'm biased.

#32 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

basically the 3 big ones are Nagelring, Sun Zhang, and NAIS.

FWL and CapCon don't have any academies on that level.

#33 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

I'll always prefer the Nagelring, but thats because I am a childish, childish little man and the first time I ever read that I misread it as 'nipplering.'
I'm not apologizing.

#34 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

If i wasn't in a public place i would be on the ground laughing now.

#35 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:49 PM

For bonus points, do a wordswap with any sentence you can think of.
"Yes, the Archon has just finished his training at the nipplering-Are you alright?"
"He's finished his training at the what?"

#36 Thom Frankfurt

• 2,741 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

Oh that was great. I needed that laugh.

Now I'm sure that they do have them, but I don't think I've ever heard any mention of any Leaguer academies...

Someone from the FWL would be a nice addition, especially with that Duchy of Andurien trying to go independent, that or you could be some soldier from somewhere in the league and has just had about enough of the political problems there. Maybe you feel it's time to get out and see the universe. Or you could have been displaced by the TFR...

#37 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

i should play a "totally not obvious" SAFE agent, considering how inept they are.

#38 RogueSpear

• Legendary Founder
  • 2,018 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

Posted Image

#39 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

View Postdal10, on 26 November 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

basically the 3 big ones are Nagelring, Sun Zhang, and NAMA.

FWL and CapCon don't have any academies on that level.

Fixed that for you. NAIS don't actually run military training, that's handled by the co-located New Avalon Military Academy.

#40 dal10

• Philanthropist
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:57 PM

which is run by NAIS.

also rogue, it was a joke. it was along the lines of,

what's with that guy?

oh he's a spy.

if he's a spy why is he here?

We keep him around so they don't try to send someone we can't see coming from a mile away.

Edited by dal10, 26 November 2013 - 01:58 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users