Clans

14 replies to this topic

#1 fuguzawaz

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

What if only the people who register for a pilot name early were allowed to be apart of the Clans? That would keep the clans from being overpopulated. Just a thought.

#2 Andrew Harvey

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationCornfield, Indiana

Posted 13 November 2011 - 12:58 PM

It's an idea, but it might alienate people who come to the game late or who didn't think it was important to register yet. I can't see too many people being happy with that. I would think it's more likely that they'd allow Beta Testers to play as Clan, both as a reward for being a part of testing, and because they're more experienced players which fits with the idea of 'Trueborn superiority'.

#3 MagnusEffect

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 404 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

This has been brought up before. Big discussion here:

http://mwomercs.com/...__fromsearch__1

I would suggest to just cap the rosters of each and use periodic trials of position to drop inactive/weak players and thereby allow new players to join.

#4 Hawkcrest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationEast Stroudsburg, PA

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

I dont think this will be an issue, House Kurita will always have more then enough warriors to spank a few clanners

Edited by Hawkcrest, 13 November 2011 - 01:29 PM.

#5 Sporkosophy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

View PostHawkcrest, on 13 November 2011 - 01:28 PM, said:

I dont think this will be an issue, House Kurita will always have more then enough warriors to spank a few clanners

You can't beat them if House Steiner beats you to it~

#6 Omar Thirds

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 01:36 PM

Or use the solution most existing FPS games use-you play as both. In BF3, you unlock things for the different factions separately, but you can play both of them.

#7 fuguzawaz

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • Star Colonel V
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:36 PM

I also thought that it might work well for clans to be a paid thing. You pay once to join, like 5 dollars. That way it keeps people who arent that into Mechwarrior out, and if your willing to pay to be in the clans, then you are most likely willing to follow the Zellbrigen. I think that that would fix the worry about people not following it. Just an idea, not saying that it will, or should, be implimented, just an option. Most people probably wont like that idea though.

#8 garrett

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:59 PM

View Postfuguzawaz, on 13 November 2011 - 05:36 PM, said:

You pay once to join, like 5 dollars. That way it keeps people who arent that into Mechwarrior out, and if your willing to pay to be in the clans, then you are most likely willing to follow the Zellbrigen. I think that that would fix the worry about people not following it.

Zellbrigen would only work for general play if it is enforced mechanically. Money is no barrier, as Team Fortress 2's purely aesthetic premium hats have demonstrated.

You cannot expect players to adhere to rules that simply do not exist within the game itself. Either the developers implement it in some way or you will only see it in tournament play between groups that are specifically opting to follow these unofficial rules that the game does not recognise.

#9 Daneiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 490 posts
  • LocationSheridan

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

there simple solution to this - make them so expensive (maintenance and price for the mechs ) so only the best and the stubborn to play with them - example -> adder or kit fox with price and maintenance like stalker !
2nd variant - > omnimechs to be expensive but their accuracy to be lower then the standart battlemechs (that means IS omnies which will come after the clan invasion will have same as the clans omnies high price ) the heat lvl for the weapons to be higher then the fixed ones and in that way so we will have balance .

Edited by daneiel varna, 13 November 2011 - 06:13 PM.

#10 Aaron DeChavilier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:14 PM

interesting idea, but who said I wanted to be clan? :)

#11 Linkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 284 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:25 AM

Other than it alienating people who join late and want to be in the clans, I bet there will be enough IS who want a shot at Clanners that balance won't be an issue =)

Otherwise, a neat idea to make the Clans more exclusive I suppose.

#12 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:52 PM

The Clans shouldn't be restricted too fiercely. There are a lot of players who suck at twitch games who love the clans. (Like myself, for instance).

If the Clans are balanced properly, only people who want to play the clans will play the clans, either because they prefer the play style, the aesthetic, or the lore.

#13 Thoman Coston2

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:31 AM

this is a game, let people play as whatever they like and have fun playing. Restrictions on faction choice will only scare people away.
From previous incarnations of MW games we could see that the players are roughly equally spread out anyways, game design can balance the mechs/weapons so that no side is over powered. Worked out quite nicely in previous MW incarnations.

#14 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 18 November 2011 - 06:01 AM

I think that the first batch of Clan players should be subjected to a skill and knowledge test.

Any new players after that would only need to pass a trial of position.

#15 Aaron DeChavilier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 18 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

how about: for general play, you can play either side and the maint. fees for clan tech
are higher.

Once you get to 'Clan Wars' (like other games) Clans can be forced to operate differently?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users