Battlegrid/map On Secondary Monitor

16 replies to this topic

#1 Slion

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

Is it or will it be possible to display the battlegrid/map on a secondary monitor?

#2 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:03 AM

Not that I have seen or am aware of.

#3 M4NTiC0R3X

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:21 AM

The devs have said many months ago that they do not intend to utilize the screens at that time because it would take away from combat awareness in certain cases by cluttering up the UI.

I do not believe them, they've always had a plan and maybe a year or two from here they will do something.

But that's asking a lot. (around here that is)

Edited by M4NTiC0R3X, 06 December 2013 - 07:21 AM.

#4 Slion

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

The current map is taking away from combat awareness since you can't look at it and pilot your mech at the same time. Having it on a secondary screen would be just awesome.

#5 Loc Nar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

Sorta OT, but has anyone had this battlegrid bug, that displays it obliquely in 3-d in such a manner you can still see that battlefield?

Posted Image

#6 Dire Wolfie

• PipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:23 PM

I would love that for my tablet, seriously.... Finger-pointing orders to my lance or the entire company... It would be a great command tool

#7 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:17 PM

A normal multi-monitor setup showing the entire cockpit across the screens isn't really an advantage. But having one screen show the normal view while a second screen shows the map is too much of a tactical advantage (because the majority with one screen can only do one view at a time). I seem to remember a recent AtD post saying they wouldn't be doing that.

#8 Curly Fride

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:18 AM

Posted Image
The Razer Artemis was supposed to have this feature, so I wouldn't be too surprised if you could run on a second monitor, or if the map could be displayed on a secondary screen EVENTUALLY. I'd be less surprised if there were a secret companion app for tablets/phones in development, but that's on my wishlist a few slots below full joystick support, Oculus Rift support, and force feedback support.

#9 August55

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:03 AM

Would be nice considering games like Supreme Commander utilized it well.

#10 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

Well, since it presumably would require them to write some additional code... I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it, folks.

As for supposed advantages... well they don't seem to averse to allowing them if they think it will make them more money, or don't require any additional effort. In the right mech chassis, a 3 screen view of the cockpit definitely is advantageous, as you get good visibility out the side windows.

The game is pretty much written to the lowest common denominator (everybody has a keyboard, mouse and a screen). Anything beyond that is pretty much gravy for the users and extra work for the devs. Witness the sad state of joystick/HOTAS support. For something that aspired to be a "simulator", (and that includes cockpit graphics of HOTAS controls), it's a pretty sorry situation, that should be a real eye opener.

But yes... having the ability to export/drag the battlegrid, (or other display components), to other screens, would be very cool. It was asked for a very long time ago.

#11 TxAce

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 31 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 30 March 2016 - 12:05 PM

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say that I would love this option.

#12 Vizion HUN

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:35 AM

+1
cheap secondary monitor for map, status, etc would be great feature.
I would PAY for it.

#13 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:52 AM

This would constitute a it of a disadvantage to those that run on a laptop or single screen desktop for IRL reasons.

This game is already marketably gimped due to many people not having a pc that can play it *now* and then we're going to limit the already meager player base that would be at a tactical disadvantage b/c they can run two screens?

How about the guys that play windowed? How would their second screen work?

Would make more sense almost to have a dynamic overlay feature so that you can still see whats going on in front of you, but can get the battlegrid ghosted over your HUD. Heck for that matter, also give us the ability to see the components/modules loaded on the mech we are currently driving in the same manner... Seeing how we can't see this stuff when picking out our mechs for our CW dropdeck... Might as well let us see them when we are actually driving them...

#14 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:27 PM

I see what you all mean about being a disadvantage since not everyone has a second monitor. I only have one, myself. What about some kind of companion app for smartphones? The Fallout 4 app worked great as far as responsiveness and it provides a second, touch-enabled screen ideal for issueing map commands.

#15 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:43 PM

View PostDrRedCoat, on 11 June 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

I see what you all mean about being a disadvantage since not everyone has a second monitor. I only have one, myself. What about some kind of companion app for smartphones? The Fallout 4 app worked great as far as responsiveness and it provides a second, touch-enabled screen ideal for issueing map commands.

That would be cool... almost like PGI was on top of things...

#16 DrRedCoat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 191 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:06 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 11 June 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

That would be cool... almost like PGI was on top of things...

A pipe-dream for sure. I would be all about it, though, if it did happen.

#17 Evan Kurst

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCologne

Posted 21 June 2017 - 06:05 AM

Hi all,

maybe I found a solution how to get the battlegrid on a secondary monitor.

"Magnifixer" is a small tool (can be download from http://www.blacksuns...nmagnifier.html) to show the area of your screen in separated window.

Here you can choose an area of the main screen fixed it by pressing ctrl + f and drag & drop onto you second screen.
Unfortunately the main screen will still look as before (including the minimap).

What I like to do is taking the MFD Cougar Pack installing a 8" 4:3 Screen behind/inside and putting the minimap by using Magnifixer onto the small screen inside the MFD Cougar.

To be honest this is for the look and feel only but hey.......... Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users