Why Nerf The Clans In Mwo At All?

625 replies to this topic

#1 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:12 AM

On the one side, we have the IS-Mechs we know and love/hate/both.

Then, one day Clan-Mechs get introduced. They are faster, more flexible, more durable, have more firepower. Real killers. Everybody will want to have one, so their use has to be restricted or discouraged in some way.

But why do this with nerfing them? The Clans always fight outnumbered, why not go the extreme in this one?

10vs12? Why not 5vs12 or 5vs16 or 10vs18?
If people want to play Clanners, why not make them fight hordes upon hordes of inferior and dishonorable enemies until it's no longer funny?

A Cluster against a Regimental Combat Team? Outnumbered in Mechs 1:2 and outnumbered overall 1:18?
Why not?

#2 CPL Madison

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:21 AM

agreed if you nerf them it will no longer be mechwarrior may aswell rename the franchise...

#3 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:29 AM

View PostDI3T3R, on 09 December 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

Why not?

Because not many players will willingly enter a match knowing that their 'Mech and weapons are inferior by a wide margin?

#4 Grey Death Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:33 AM

Well Guys this what happens when the crying players start whining to the devs it gets NERFED !!, I agree with you about clan tech why should it be nerfed in some way it kinda take the point away from buying Clan tech. This whole nerf this nerf that is ruining the game !

Edited by Death Storm, 09 December 2013 - 05:34 AM.

#5 Grey Death Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:36 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 09 December 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

Because not many players will willingly enter a match knowing that their 'Mech and weapons are inferior by a wide margin?

Simple solution to your problem BUY CLAN TECH yourself

#6 Brixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 431 posts
  • LocationGermany/Bavaria

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:48 AM

View PostDeath Storm, on 09 December 2013 - 05:36 AM, said:

I guess there is quite a large number of players wanting to pilot superior mechs and rather small one willingly running inferior tech. Step by step, people then will only/mostly use clan tech and drop away from IS. People will not see it as: "Oh hey, our team outnumbers the other team, it is still fair!" but rather "Those people have better gear! I want that!".

Imho, most people will see it more like: "What to pick? Fiat or Ferrari?" Now guess what they will go for.

#7 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:48 AM

But what if I, as an IS player, am not able to aquire clan tech?

(Disclaimer: "not able to" = the game wont let me)

Edited by Thorn Hallis, 09 December 2013 - 05:52 AM.

#8 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:59 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 09 December 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

But what if I, as an IS player, am not able to aquire clan tech?

(Disclaimer: "not able to" = the game wont let me)

Then i am fine. If you want Omnimechs, join the Wolf's Dragoons and reach an high rank.

#9 Spurowny

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 120 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:03 AM

Did you guys even understand the point of ghost heat and the gauss rifle change? it wasn't just to break OP builds.
It was to increase the average time it takes to kill a mech, and in that regard it was a success.

Now add lighter, higher damaging PPCs, 1 ton lasers that do 7 damage and have a range of 500m and an AC20 that fires twice as fast and weighs the same as an ac10.
Average time to kill a mech drops to lower then it has ever been.
Clan mechs DO NOT carry more armor then IS mechs, the max values are the same by tonnage.
You thought people whined about op builds and configs before? clan weapons unaltered will turn this game into just another twitch shooter. may as well play CoD so you can respawn and not wait several minutes before your next 10 seconds of fighting.
NERF the eFF outta that Clan {Scrap}!

Edited by Spurowny, 09 December 2013 - 06:06 AM.

#10 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:14 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 09 December 2013 - 05:29 AM, said:

The margin was between 20-30%. That isn't to bad. I want my Enemy to have that advantage! It's what I signed up for. :) :P

#11 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:28 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 09 December 2013 - 06:14 AM, said:

The margin was between 20-30%. That isn't to bad. I want my Enemy to have that advantage! It's what I signed up for. :) :(

Well, you could also use only 70-80% of your 'Mechs tonnage. :P

#12 KalebFenoir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:45 AM

View PostDI3T3R, on 09 December 2013 - 05:12 AM, said:

On the one side, we have the IS-Mechs we know and love/hate/both.

Then, one day Clan-Mechs get introduced. They are faster, more flexible, more durable, have more firepower. Real killers. Everybody will want to have one, so their use has to be restricted or discouraged in some way.

But why do this with nerfing them? The Clans always fight outnumbered, why not go the extreme in this one?

10vs12? Why not 5vs12 or 5vs16 or 10vs18?
If people want to play Clanners, why not make them fight hordes upon hordes of inferior and dishonorable enemies until it's no longer funny?

A Cluster against a Regimental Combat Team? Outnumbered in Mechs 1:2 and outnumbered overall 1:18?
Why not?

I rather like that idea. It'd be in keeping with the spirit of the novels and table-top, and it'd give Clan players a significant enough challenge to keep them interested in the game. I'd be playing IS, at least till second-line Clan mechs pop up, but that's just me. 5 v 12 sounds about right; it makes it so there's a little over 2 mechs to fight, per clanner. Winning a fight like that would 'earn them honor'. It'd be a worthy endeavor.

I'd love to see the first few months of Clan Invasion not even being controlled by players; imagine, you're in a match, 12v12, and out of nowhere, from say, the west, or the north, a Star of Clan mechs drops in, with a third team color (I'm thinking yellow), and just starts going to town on both teams. Either the Clanners would be controlled by PGI players at that point, or maybe we'd get a glimpse of NPC AI or something. Either way, the Shock & Awe would be quite worth it.

Might liven up some of those boring 'everyone brawl at theta' moments.

#13 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:04 AM

View PostKalebFenoir, on 09 December 2013 - 06:45 AM, said:

Either way, the Shock & Awe would be quite worth it.

Not anymore, as the idea was brought up to many times.

#14 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:08 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 09 December 2013 - 07:04 AM, said:

Not anymore, as the idea was brought up to many times.

Joseph Mallan may not agree with you.

#15 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:48 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 09 December 2013 - 06:28 AM, said:

Well, you could also use only 70-80% of your 'Mechs tonnage. :)

Thats just crazy talk! :P

#16 Grey Death Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:25 AM

View PostBrixx, on 09 December 2013 - 05:48 AM, said:

I guess there is quite a large number of players wanting to pilot superior mechs and rather small one willingly running inferior tech. Step by step, people then will only/mostly use clan tech and drop away from IS. People will not see it as: "Oh hey, our team outnumbers the other team, it is still fair!" but rather "Those people have better gear! I want that!".

Imho, most people will see it more like: "What to pick? Fiat or Ferrari?" Now guess what they will go for.

Well if it was me I think I would spend more money on the ferrari, If you nerf clan tech then what is the point buying it !! in the first place the only nerf I would consider is to make clan tech more expensive !!

#17 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

This is bad thing number one. You are encouraging exodus to clan tech, which trivializes IS tech.

Game designers dont make entire systems, and then introduce new systems thereby rendering the old ones inferior, stop glorifying overpowered gear.

Clan mechs and weapons WILL be nerfed. PGI has stated this and Randal Bills, the man who created the clans, supports it. Clan tech will however bring a DIFFERENT flavour to the field. Do you understand? Clan tech cannot be BETTER than IS tech, but it can be DIFFERENT.

Also if you try to balance by facing 10 clanners against 12 Inner Sphere, then what happens when mercenaries (who have access to tech via black market) buy clan tech and then field 12 clan tech mechs against 10 clanners or 12 inner sphere. You may as well throw your half baked system out the window at that point.

I have shot down these ****** little arguments countless times and will continue to do so until people stop clinging to their fantasies for easy win clan equipment.

#18 Deedsie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 320 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

Well, you could also use only 70-80% of your 'Mechs tonnage.

To do that is blasphemy to him. He works for House Steiner.

#19 Deedsie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 320 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

On a side note, I have little interest in Clan mechs themselves aside from the Warhawk.

I'd rather just re-outfit my Battlemaster, Atlas, and Shadow Hawks with the stuff.

I have the suspicion that Omnimechs will have fixed armor amounts in exchange for a more variable loadout.

#20 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostDeedsie, on 09 December 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

On a side note, I have little interest in Clan mechs themselves aside from the Warhawk.

I'd rather just re-outfit my Battlemaster, Atlas, and Shadow Hawks with the stuff.

I have the suspicion that Omnimechs will have fixed armor amounts in exchange for a more variable loadout.

That's exactly how it should be. Fixed armor and internals in exchange for near complete freedom in weapon customization. Omnimechs are supposed to be like that, however in every mechwarrior game so far (with exception to 4) they have been the same as battlemechs, and every single mech has been completely customizable. Armor, Heatsinks, Engine, weapons. That is not the way it is supposed to be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users