Artillary Strikes Are Pretty Much Out Of Control

120 replies to this topic

#1 JoeKidd

• Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationEncino, CA USA

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:20 PM

This game has gone from Mechwarrior to ArtyWarrior.

#2 Aegic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

I cant agree. Although if I got nailed a few games in a row I would understand your feelings. It does have a global cooldown so it thankfully isn't that bad.

#3 MonkeyCheese

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

Can't wait for small laser warrior!

#4 valt901

• PipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 90 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

I love arti and air strikes. Here's a secret. If you are below the platform on Crimson Straight and you place the smoke on the roof of the platform the arti or air will impact the people above you and you will be protected underneath and they wont know it's comming because they can't see the smoke.

#5 Viral Matrix

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 10:11 PM

Ive seen em being used. Ive seen people killed by arty, ive been hit, but not killed by arty. I dont like how consumables work in our current UI, and ive grown used to the non-consumable mods, so i dont use arty.

I like that theyre useful now, thats why people take them. They do decent damage, and the explosion fx look better now. Generally i move when i see the smoke. Prior to these changes, i wouldnt care and ignored them. If theres a global CD on them also, theres not much too complain about, theyre in a good balance imo.

#6 Selfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationFlorida.

Posted 10 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

Artillery and Air Strikes are broken, but I wouldn't say they're breaking the game. I'd say it would be worth it to increase the GCD. 35 Seconds is max, as you won't be able to fire off all 24 strikes from a team without it. I'd support something like a 20 second GCD.

For perspective, if you feel strikes aren't powerful or something. Your average premade team will be taking 4 consecutive minutes of strikes (9,600+ damage) occurring at 10s intervals. Each team will do this or it will lose the match. Their power is indisputable and teams without them lose games. Strikes soften up opponents, create weak points to exploit, and have 10 shots with the potential to OHKO for early game advantages.

In a pug match strikes are pretty balanced. They're strong but aren't used often/en masse because players are grinding/saving on money. They're rare because they're expensive. At my general pug play, which is usually vets who don't have money issues, I'd say I only see ~10-20 strikes per match. It's very manageable, and spacing out those strikes won't cause any real issues.

Edited by Selfish, 10 December 2013 - 11:16 PM.

#7 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 11 December 2013 - 04:47 AM

I got absolutely smashed by a teammate dropping an airstrike on my head less than a minute in the game.

I went left on terra therma with my lance. When we get to the site to cap of course the 3 camp-warriors on my team all stop and stay just out of sight behind a hill in typical meta fashion. I looked and it was only two mechs and both smaller than me at the cap point so, I said I don't need those cowards anyway. All I need to do is keep the two people lined up so one can't shoot without hitting his teammate. Now I'm fighting two people at once by myself for a bit and some ***** on my team decides the best thing to do is to drop an airstrike on the cap point behind me that I can't even see.

People in this game aren't smart enough to even use them properly. They need to add a rank requirement to them so you can only use them with a specific number of hours played or similar.

#8 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 10 December 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

You seem to have forgotten the closed Beta 120 KPH Fastback small pulse laser warrior phase :ph34r: .

#9 Zervziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 907 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 11 December 2013 - 05:57 AM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 11 December 2013 - 05:02 AM, said:

You seem to have forgotten the closed Beta 120 KPH Fastback small pulse laser warrior phase :ph34r: .

Before that was the Gausscat phase. Everyone loved gausscats.

#10 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 December 2013 - 06:33 AM

Yup. everyone loved Gaussapults... but they were later... before the fastback laserhunchies we had the fastback flamerhunchies... ahh, the memories at what redicoulous things were and are stupidly OP...

I really think MWO is the only MW game where at one point, the Flamers, MGs or Spider mechs were overpowered. Its like comparing a Smart to a F1 racing car and seriously saying that the Smart is overpowered... :ph34r:

Edited by Rushin Roulette, 11 December 2013 - 06:34 AM.

#11 knight-of-ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:05 AM

I don't see a problem with it. It's part of the game.

I enjoy the creative ways players have come up with to trick others into walking into air/artillery strikes.... even if I am on the receiving end.

All these strikes have made me realize I have become too dependant on thermal vision to see through haze or smoke. Certain maps, such as River City (day), I used to forget and play the entire match with it on. With all these strikes, I have learned to not do that.

#12 TygerLily

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:05 AM

I see a lot of arty dropped but even when I'm relatively close to the smoke I never seem to get hit. Last night was my only big hit from it...I had a Battlemaster and the entire leg was blow off and the other leg went to yellow crit. I was suprised...although, in the confusion maybe someone shot my legs out too...

All that to say, their suppression value seems more important than their damage value.

#13 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:11 AM

Yeah, if you're getting worked by Artillery Strikes, the problem lies with you, not the Artillery Strike. These things are ridiculously easy to avoid if you are paying attention.

#14 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:17 AM

Arty and air strikes are not OP. There is a global cooldown, there is a global warm up at the beginning of the game (to prevent trolls from griefing), there is a huge plume of smoke that tells you one is coming to get out of the way. Before they changed the damage and the long wait time for the effect, they were absolutely worthless to the point of being comical. This is one of the few weapons that PGI fixed perfectly. They are now worth the 40k Cbills they cost.

Incidentally, I've been hit by Arty (smoke was behind me) and went from no damage to all armor points dark yellow and survived. it sucks, but you just have to make it work.

Edited by MnDragon, 11 December 2013 - 07:20 AM.

#15 Nehkrosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 772 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:18 AM

Yeah, honeslty, just dont get caught flat-footed.

If your in a blob, someones going to be dropping one.

#16 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:19 AM

Artillery strikes are only really effective against Heavy/Assault mechs sitting in a tight knot. Since this game trends towards fatcamping (see last half of previous sentence) I think the artillery strike is a necessary and well thought out part of the game.

#17 SpiralFace

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationAlshain

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:20 AM

Not only that, but they are also a direct counter to the "Death Ball" metta that is out there.

Learn to coordinate and break up into strike teams. Arty's are the answer to the mindless ball up and push forward with your entire company.

#18 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:30 AM

I find they pair up real nice with ac2's, blind cockpit and drop strike while firing = profit

#19 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:30 AM

View PostMonkeyCheese, on 10 December 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

It already came and went during closed beta!

#20 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:59 AM

I think they need to be restricted to certain scout units and not any mech in the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users