81 replies to this topic

#21 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:43 PM

I've found the following to be true. Griffins tend to have a lot of horizontal arm range. Wolverines have a lot of vertical arm range (leap, fool, leap!). Both of them have been doing really well as bunny hoppers. o.O; Just putting it out there.

#22 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 19 December 2013 - 02:24 PM, said:

Which honestly, my primary contribution is being an in-the-face distraction. Wish they awarded XP for damage taken.

I wish they did too :( It's a highly underrated art keeping your mech alive as long as possible.

#23 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:59 PM

Unfortunately can't call a Griffin my own yet, but shouldnt tons of jump jets, high speed a PPC some missiles and medium lasers be a great deal? Who can catch him, while your ERPPC/LRMs can do the work all game long.

#24 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

Can't wait to try this out

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8e0aee4951d0d25
ERPPC, 4xSSRM2, 7 JJs and 350XL

Looks also cool
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0d94a395939dae8
PPC 3xSPL ALRM20 7JJs and 275XL

#25 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:32 PM

GRF has been my signature mech for over a quarter century. The code to it handed to me by Jaime Wolf himself after most of my family went down with Hephaestus Station; fought through countless matches at Solaris; built and led a regiment with it; fought through the 4th Succession War and the turbulent next 20 years 'til the Clan invasion and out the other side. I reeled when the Saber expansion was announced and had been looking forward to it with mighty anticipation. And though I've only been in about 8 matches, I'm extraordinarily pleased that the Griffin is living up to its original abilities - something I know better than most any could claim.

/RP off

I'm very pleased so far. I know some think the right-side offset of the GRF is undesirable, but it fits the mech's role and strengths, and the challenge of handling it well is a terrific addition to MWO. Also pleased with the way they adapted the design. And the cockpits of the Sabers are, as others have said, superb. The ride is smooth...don't know how else to describe it...the feel through the controls and audio is just downright smooth. Body agility and jump control are top notch.

But you have to like being in a mech that relies on jet maneuverability as a norm. (Though you can build a very effective ground-only loadout with it as well)

Edited by Elyam, 20 December 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#26 1lostsoul

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:02 PM

I cant wait till these two come out have been watching them when I die must say nice view. While I don't like the hard point layouts that much the use of a fast mech with missile for long range combat and lasers as back up weapons if the enemy should close in is appealing to me but I have not played much only mech I own is a CTF-3D. all in all they look like fun and one will be the medium mech that I will keep. best looking variant to me is the Griffin 1S ALRM 20 to soften the targets and should they get close 4medlasers to finish them off. also it is the one variant where if I lose a shoulder I an not fully disarmed.

#27 xengk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:12 PM

I actually love them for having all firepower on one side of the body, I get to use the old other side of my body as a shield to soak damage.
Most of my match end with missing arm and side torso before getting core or I zombie around until the end.

Currently working on completing Elite, a mech will really shine after double basic.
GRF-3M
WVR-6K

#28 Win Ott

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Serpent
  • The Serpent
  • 153 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Southern Reach

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:20 AM

View Poststorm0545, on 19 December 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

lol I feel like an ***** then at this point with the wolverine and Griffin. I stripped out the jump jets in all of the varients and more or less just loaded for bear with guns and ammo.

Always leave a jump jet or two on board. These mechs are meant to hop. You are sacrificing one of their greatest inherent assets if you take away their flight.
My least favorite variant right now is that Wolverine with no jj.

#29 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:32 AM

View PostWin Ott, on 20 December 2013 - 05:20 AM, said:

My least favorite variant right now is that Wolverine with no jj.

ugh, that mech is so bad! I honestly can't find a single saving grace for it.

the other two, however, are nothing short of amazing.

my WVR-6R "Spartacus" has been serving me well so far, almost elited out by now.

#30 Eldante

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:54 AM

After playing with them for a couple of day's now i feel that they are pretty decent mech's. All of them whether they have JJ's or not are better than the Thunderbolt's. I say this because you can get the "speed you need" for mostly being energy. Even if you only ran medium laser's and hid behind a atlas you can do some serious damage at 108 kph. These mech's have a learning curve as well. You have to hide behind people or stay with other medium's to be effective as you dont have ballistics and the heat from all the energy won't allow you to do the thing's that ballistics will do. They feel pretty unique to me with all the speed and all the energy weapons you can still have. Even if you went LRM boat you could probably get in and out of an area pretty quick and hit people from alot of different angles. They just take a little bit to get used to playing.

#31 Dagada Moor

• PipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 99 posts
  • LocationGainesville, Florida

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:27 AM

Hey xeng, why don't you put a std280 in your Griffin 3M instead of a std 275? Same weight more speed and can be used in all mediums if you don't have one already. <a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=131&l=d7aab3f3742b37e8fe44bf546adb132829b6dc06">WVR-6K</a>

Can not wait to try this version out.

#32 Dagada Moor

• PipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 99 posts
  • LocationGainesville, Florida

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:32 AM

Plain Link

Title for BBCode and HTML Link

#33 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 03:11 AM

View PostDagada Moor, on 21 December 2013 - 02:27 AM, said:

Hey xeng, why don't you put a std280 in your Griffin 3M instead of a std 275? Same weight more speed and can be used in all mediums if you don't have one already.

that is only true for XL engines. there is half a ton difference between STD 275 and 280.

#34 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:21 AM

View PostDazzer, on 19 December 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

Does anyone find the Wolverines and Griffins disappointing?

Nope, not at all. Posted Image

Despite being losing the match, I tore through 7 of them, killing 5 my self.

#35 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:54 AM

Theoretically, they are very unnatural to use in my book. Most variants have too many hardpoints on too few body parts, and those that are not have hardpoints all over the place. For someone who enjoys things like Atlas, Cataphract and Hunchback, that's a no-go for me.

#36 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:59 AM

View PostDagada Moor, on 21 December 2013 - 02:27 AM, said:

Hey xeng, why don't you put a std280 in your Griffin 3M instead of a std 275? Same weight more speed and can be used in all mediums if you don't have one already. <a href="http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=131&l=d7aab3f3742b37e8fe44bf546adb132829b6dc06">WVR-6K</a>

Can not wait to try this version out.

Thanks for the suggestion.

But I usually only install engine in 25 rating increment to take advantage of the internal heat sink or engine heat sink slot, I can live without the extra 2kph top speed.

Also that 0.5 ton can go into more leg armour to help spread damage or add an extra jump jet.

Edited by xengk, 22 December 2013 - 05:02 AM.

#37 Lord Perversor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:00 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 19 December 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

The griffin Primary is terrible. I understand PGI doesnt want hero mechs to be OP, but giving us the worst possible variant isnt so hot either. I havent had any luck in any of the griffins yet really.

Oddly i love it and having a blast with my Mr bubbles config it can take quite a punishment and the top speed + dmg makes it an excellent Cataphract and Jagermech hunter if now when to dive.

#38 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:30 AM

Of the six 'mechs that showed up in the Sabre package, four of them are proving to be more than I thought they'd be. Two have yet to come across a build that makes me want to run them, Griffin 1S and the Wolverine 6K. I still need to finish out mastery on all of them, but those two....

the 6K is somewhat coming around, but a lack of JJs is proving to be beyond irritating. It's just as sturdy as the other two variants, and I'm finding a bit more mileage coming out from actually dropping the engine a bit, and playing it like a fire support, 'endgame' brawler. The things can take one heck of a beating (usually end matches with some armor left on the head). 6K is kind of like a 20T lighter Thunderbolt 5SS, and is proving to be the small dog in this lineup as well.

The Griffin 1S on the other hand, may possibly be able to dig itself out of that spot in the Griffin lineup (I'm really just going to be happy if it starts playing as well as the other two). I've yet to test, but going endo + ferro, and dropping in the biggest engine I can, with plenty of small arms I'm hoping is going to make it the mobile damage dealer of the three. Currently, the other two variants are being run quite close to the starting engine (a XL 275 in the 1N, and a ST 260 in the 3M). and the 1S just wasn't putting out the same amount of effect with a similar engine.

I'm just really happy that the 'prime' variants' in this package are proving to be, at least for me, the better variants of the bunch.

#39 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:49 AM

Which is due out first, Wolverines or Griffins? I love Mediums. But I think I'd prefer the Wolverine to the Griffin.

#40 Bromineberry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:15 AM

I really, really hoped for a 55-ton Hunchback SP, i.e. good torso twist, non XL-friendly, more or less symetrical loadout....but the hardpoints are so, so, soooo bad in my eyes, that none of the mechs is worth looking at.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users