#1 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

Help me spend it.

I've been playing MWO for about 9 months now. I found I prefer fast medium mechs over slower Heavies and Assaults. I score much more damage and survive longer in a medium. They just tend to draw less fire.

That being said, I would like to learn to pilot larger mechs. One of the 1st mechs I bought was a Quickdraw and is the only heavy chassis I own. I have more time in it than any other single variant except for my TBT-3C. Even any single medium variant. But they were hard fought hours with lots of deaths and very little to show from it. So that's when I decided to move to a faster mech.

Not many seem to run Quickdraws any more. I think the lack of Ballistic slots hurts it. So I would like to move to a different chassis.

Jagermechs have a lot of loyalty. So messing around in Smurfy, this is what I've come up with for my next heavy. I have a lot of 300XL engines as they fit my TBTs and used one in the QKD too.

JM6-A

Let me know what you guys think,

Jody Von Jedi

Edited by Jody Von Jedi, 19 December 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#2 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

I'd suggest a Victor. Tricked out with at least an XL360, you can go 80 KPH and still bring a huge payload. Should be large, maneuverable, and deadly. The 9S lets you throw an AC20 and 2 LLs for a fairly deadly loadout.

Sure, it's an assault, but it plays faster than many heavies.

#3 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

View PostBront, on 19 December 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

I'd suggest a Victor. Tricked out with at least an XL360, you can go 80 KPH and still bring a huge payload. Should be large, maneuverable, and deadly. The 9S lets you throw an AC20 and 2 LLs for a fairly deadly loadout.

So, something like this?

VTR-9S

#4 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:50 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 19 December 2013 - 04:42 PM, said:

So, something like this?

VTR-9S

That looks OK to me (I'm a low-level VTR driver) but with 17 slots, you should get Endo and pack in some more DHS (in the engine if nowhere else). With SSRMs, also, always get Artemis for lock-on time and consider a BAP.

S

#5 Isaacus

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:40 PM

Mabey like this?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...01f0c0dc036d38e

And what do you put on your quickdraw? I have one and am looking for some good builds.

Edited by Isaacus, 19 December 2013 - 05:42 PM.

#6 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

Although you can't get it for c-bills yet, I really like this fast Battlemaster build
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5a1c5a60d5b05e8
with speed tweak you go about 84. 4LL gives good contestant fire, and the 2 MGs are great for kill stealing. The torso mounted lasers are high enough that similar to the Jager, you can shoot just about anything you see.

#7 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 19 December 2013 - 04:50 PM, said:

That looks OK to me (I'm a low-level VTR driver) but with 17 slots, you should get Endo and pack in some more DHS (in the engine if nowhere else). With SSRMs, also, always get Artemis for lock-on time and consider a BAP.

S

I didn't think streaks benefited from Artemis? SRM yes, Streaks no.

Jody

OK, more like this.

VTR-9S w/Endo

#8 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:15 PM

Don't discount the Jagers. Especially if Mediums were where you found your comfort zone. Victors are faster than some heavies, but even with jump jets, can run into maneuverability issues that you can work towards compensating for by going into heavies first.

Some ideas for a Jager A;

They told me I can be anything, so I became a Turret (Using a STD 275)

They told me I can be anything, so I became a Turret 2 (Using your XL 300)

BIggest thing to remember about Jagers, is that they're pretty much walking side torsos. Part of the reason you can skimp so much on head armor. Can't remember the last time my armor even went into the orange with just the 4 point on it. And legs....once in a while, sure, they go, but most people are going to be aiming for those soft sides.

Personally, I wouldn't start in on them, and likely not even the QkD either. My personal suggestion moving into heavies from mediums are Cataphracts. And you can discount the 3D price (First one I'd suggest getting) by selling the XL 280 back since you have the 300.

LBX AC20 (~ish) Cataphract

Fewer 'mechs are better at teaching you about how to use arm-lock effectively in my most humble opinion. JJs for added maneuverability, and wiggle room to fit your taste (Can just as easily go 2 JJS and bump up to AC10s with the same ammo, or just two JJs period for two more tons of LB).

No matter which way you go, hope you find something you like piloting....even if it's that QKD. :(

Edited by Mercer Skye, 19 December 2013 - 06:16 PM.

#9 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:23 PM

View PostIsaacus, on 19 December 2013 - 05:40 PM, said:

And what do you put on your quickdraw? I have one and am looking for some good builds.

I've tried all sorts of QKD builds. None I've really been happy with.

I only have the one chassis, the 4H.

This build packs a wallup.

#10 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:52 PM

View PostMercer Skye, on 19 December 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

My personal suggestion moving into heavies from mediums are Cataphracts. And you can discount the 3D price (First one I'd suggest getting) by selling the XL 280 back since you have the 300.

LBX AC20 (~ish) Cataphract

Fewer 'mechs are better at teaching you about how to use arm-lock effectively in my most humble opinion. JJs for added maneuverability, and wiggle room to fit your taste (Can just as easily go 2 JJS and bump up to AC10s with the same ammo, or just two JJs period for two more tons of LB).

Hmm, shotgun with legs. I like it. Just a little slower than I perfer.

Edited by Jody Von Jedi, 19 December 2013 - 06:52 PM.

#11 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:55 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 19 December 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

Jody

OK, more like this.

VTR-9S w/Endo

Streaks benefit from the faster lock on times - and don't take tonnage or slots right now.

#12 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:01 PM

View PostKai Harper, on 19 December 2013 - 06:55 PM, said:

Streaks benefit from the faster lock on times - and don't take tonnage or slots right now.

Bug or undocumented feature is an open question, but it helps immensely.

#13 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 19 December 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

Bug or undocumented feature is an open question, but it helps immensely.

Yeah, aware. =)

#14 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostBront, on 19 December 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

Sure, it's an assault, but it plays faster than many heavies.

The Victor is absolutely a great place to learn to pilot heavier 'mechs, sitting right perfectly between the Phract and Highlander. Highly recommended.

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 19 December 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

Jody

OK, more like this.

VTR-9S w/Endo

Artemis provides a massive lock-speed bonus to all missile weapons, including Streaks, though the effect is undocumented and does not impact the launcher weights.

#15 Tilley

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

I would go with the Jagers. I have mastered both the A and DD variant and they are very effective killers. The roles I see most often used by Jager pilots are fire suppression (AC/2's and AC/5 (UAC/5's)) and heavy hitting gophers. Using small AC cannons in multiples is a very good way to back an enemy out of a position. No one wants to get that repetitive tink tink tink sound coming from their own mech as they are battered and bruised by the small rounds. When using dual Gauss or dual AC/20 Jagers, they are more specialized at running into the melee and getting fast kills. The dual gauss is one of my favorite sniping mechs. If you catch a light that decides to take a rest..it's feels great getting that one shot alpha kill.

#16 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:46 PM

This is something like the "standard" "competitive" Victor of the moment:

VTR-9S

2xPPC (NOT ER PPC), 1x AC/20, 4 to 5 tons of ammo, XL 350, optional AMS as a tradeoff for ammo and armor.

You may look at this and ask yourself: why is this thing good? It's got no dakka. It's alpha is not all that impressive. It has XL engines so it shouldn't be durable. And how does it handle lights that circle to within 80 m?

But some how, it works on every map. As others have pointed out. It's very mobile. With the speed tweak it does almost 80 kph. You have extraordinary turning speed due to the jump jets, which also allow you to overcome almost any vertical terrain obstacle.

Since the PPCs and AC/20 are instantaneous fire weapons, you can torso twist to use your arms as shields as soon as you fire. You don't even have to wait for the hit. Also, you can of course poptart.

Once an enemy gets close enough, you can fire the PPCs and AC/20 together for a 40 pt, point damage alpha (yeah, like a dual ac/20 jager bomb).

If a light comes close to you, you can use your fast speed and jump jets to open up a little distance. As soon as you do that, the light will be in serious jeopardy, as one alpha from you can cripple his legs.

Your biggest problem will be getting to close (eg within 80 m) to something like an atlas, but if you are careful about keeping your distance, you should be able to do very well indeed.

I take an improved arty and a regular airstrike on my module slots (still working on getting that improved airstrike).

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 19 December 2013 - 07:47 PM.

#17 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:38 PM

Thanks for all the comments on the Artemis for Streaks, I didn't realize that.

Still milling it over. I may play my premium time over the holidays and just save up a little more. I wasted so much C-bill in the beginning, I don't want to buy a chassis and hate it later.

#18 Kai Harper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 205 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

View PostJody Von Jedi, on 19 December 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

Thanks for all the comments on the Artemis for Streaks, I didn't realize that.

Still milling it over. I may play my premium time over the holidays and just save up a little more. I wasted so much C-bill in the beginning, I don't want to buy a chassis and hate it later.

You're welcome, and in time you'll come to learn what you like and don't - but I wouldn't say that many mechs are wasted C-bills. I don't like selling mechs I own, and sometimes - like recently, with my 'Phract - you can find a way to repurpose them to make them work for you. Just a thought. =)

#19 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

i have both the victor and battlemasters, i they both have their perks, AC20/JJ vs multiple balistics with heavy energy backups and can move very quickly.

if you like JJs on your mediums the victor will be a second home i feel. if you were more a HBK kinda guy the battlemaster will work well for you

my victor is a bit slower than most people like but its faster than most other assaults
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1fa737f7e90b25f

my PP battlemaster (1G)
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...5678f1b96006066
alt build
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6434565f2d39006

for the 1D i ran a double ac5 build nothing special (my personal least favorite

1S
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9fbe49d59fe7b5d
can drop a DHS and another half ton for ams but its already very hot

#20 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:55 AM

View Postkevin roshak, on 19 December 2013 - 11:59 PM, said:

if you like JJs on your mediums the victor will be a second home i feel. if you were more a HBK kinda guy the battlemaster will work well for you

In all of the MW titles (and I've played them all) I was never a jump jet fan. When you add that vertical dimension, I get all hosed up and can't pilot at all.

Most of my time lately has been spent piloting Blackjacks and Trebuchet. And neither with JJ. I put a single JJ in one of my builds just because I counldn't add another DHS. Didn't have enough free slots. I also mastered 3 of the Centurians, but didn't like them. They just don't have enough hardpoints.

I think the Jagermech would translate best for me from the Blackjack. And maybe the Victor for the Trebuchet, sans the JJ.

I keep thinking about the Hunchback. I tried one early in my MWO career, the one with the 8 Energy hardpoints. I kept overheating with the thing and sold it. I don't think I really gave it a chance. Most people love the hunchie. Maybe I need to stick with mediums for a while and try some of the other chassis? Currently I only have 7 mechs. 3 Trebuchet, 3 Blackjacks, and that stripped down QKD taking up space in my hanger.

Maybe Shadowhawk or Hunchback before I move to heavies? I'm an indecisive person, can you tell?

Edited by Jody Von Jedi, 20 December 2013 - 07:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users