A Few Quick Questions In One Thread

5 replies to this topic

#1 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:53 AM

I have a few questions and didn't think they warranted multiple different posts so here we go.

I have over 50k xp on my Orion K but no mech bays to master it. I'm getting a bunch of mech bays after the holiday and was wondering if any of the remaining variants of the Orion are a known dud? I say dud kind of like how 95% of players would choose the Hunchie 4SP over the J or Jenner D over the K. I was looking at the VA since all of those hardpoints in the arms could make for a great brawler or even streak launcher. Not to mention shooting from cover. To my untrained eye they all seem capable it just depends on weapon preference but, then again what do I know.

Also I have 30k gxp, if you were to buy the seismic sensor today do you think it's worth getting after all of the nerfs to it? I'm not so much interested in if the nerfs are justified only if you feel it has enough value still to spend the GXP and cbills on.

My last question is if there is some kind of calender or time table I can see to figure out when new mechs and modules are coming out so I don't buy something and regret it if something awesome comes out a few days later.

Anyway thanks for any help in advance.

#2 SpartanOfValor

• PipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 81 posts
  • LocationThe 7th Seals mechbay

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:08 AM

Orion - VA This should be a good brawler build: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d0197c4ad4bfe4b

Orion - V Long range support build:http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3a38006fe0a2869

I hope this helps!

LegoSpartan

#3 TygerLily

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:23 AM

As for seismic, I think i ts well worth it. Just stand still a sec and you get pings...very useful!

#4 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:38 AM

Seismic is useful if you plan to be standing still for long periods of time and/or you use Jumpjets a lot. The reason behind it being worthwhile for a jumper is due to the fact that any nearby enemies will show up on your radar immediately when you land after jumping, regardless of if you're moving or not. I keep it on my Jenner for this reason, but there are more useful modules that can replace it (consumables or target info gathering, if you're in a light).

As for the Orion, the only one I wouldn't recommend is the ON1-M, purely because of the price. It's simply not worth the 4 million c-bills you pay over the other variants purely for the XL300. Now, if you do not have an XL300, then yes it is definitely worth it.

Imo, the VA is wasted if you plan on using streaks in the arms. This is mainly because streaks track your enemy, regardless of fire point. You don't need them in the arms to hit an enemy that is moving to your side, as long as you have the lock torso mounted streaks will hit just as well. I find the VA to be best used as an LRM boat (lots of hardpoints, 2x LRM15 + 2x LRM5 works well), or as an SRM brawler.

#5 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for the help guys

View PostLunatech, on 20 December 2013 - 08:38 AM, said:

As for the Orion, the only one I wouldn't recommend is the ON1-M, purely because of the price. It's simply not worth the 4 million c-bills you pay over the other variants purely for the XL300. Now, if you do not have an XL300, then yes it is definitely worth it.

Imo, the VA is wasted if you plan on using streaks in the arms. This is mainly because streaks track your enemy, regardless of fire point. You don't need them in the arms to hit an enemy that is moving to your side, as long as you have the lock torso mounted streaks will hit just as well. I find the VA to be best used as an LRM boat (lots of hardpoints, 2x LRM15 + 2x LRM5 works well), or as an SRM brawler.

Wow didn't even pay attention to this, I already have a 300xl from my Jenner S and I also have a 350xl so I won't be getting that variant.

I was looking at using the arms for SRMs. A straight srm6/large laser brawler could be pretty hard hitting. I have two Catapults that I can use for LRM's so I'm never really to interested in placing them in other mechs.

#6 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

1) Not sure on the Orions, my quick looking at the hardpoints, layouts, and cost show the OR1-M as one to avoid due to cost (though the XL300 engine is nice) and hard points. I don't see much you can do in the M that you can't do in the V (the M has a single extra energy hardpoint over the second ballistic hardpoint of the V as well as the moved missile hardpoint) That said, the M still seems like it's viable, and if the hardpoint locations suit your style, go for it. The Protector is probably the best Orion, but you can do most builds for it on the K, which you already have. So, unless you specifically want the M or want a Protector, I'd suggest going VA and V. Then again, that's not from experience, simply from looking at the hardpoints and cost.

2) Seismic is still very useful. Standing still, stoping to turn around, jumping/landing, all these times you'll get some potential seismic activity registering. It's not as useful as it used to be (all the time), but I've only owned it almost exclusively since the last nerf, and I find it worth taking on most mechs if I have module space (I only have 1 though, so I move it around a lot, and for casual play often just let it sit).

3) Battlemaster is coming out next month, Wolverine/Griffin are coming in Feb/March, and then we're not sure what's next till the Clan mechs hit in June/July. No one is sure what Hero mechs are coming other than most folks have deduced the Hunchie is getting a hero next (all the founders mechs have gotten a skin revamp an hero mech except the Hunchie over the past 3 months), and the Flee was announced a while ago but hasn't seen the light of day yet. However, the roadmap for new modules is apparently a little tricky as they're reworking the system, but they talked about potentially refunding XP for stuff they revamp (though you'd also have to respend it again). Best way to stay on top of this is to read some of the dev announcements.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users