Golden Mechs...make Me Feel Better About This....

183 replies to this topic

#1 wikkedj

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 21 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

So, I've seen several forum posts and seen lots of folks talking about it in game....team killing golden mechs.

So, for anyone considering buying one...what steps are going to be taken to make sure that a $500 purchase is usable with relative peace of mind? I know the IGP team can't control the actions of a person behind the keyboard and some blowback is likely.

The more I think about it, the more I can't see myself spending that kind of money on a mech that is, from what I've been seeing, likely to get me TKed in any game I pilot it in. ;)

#2 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:17 AM

View Postwikkedj, on 29 December 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

So, I've seen several forum posts and seen lots of folks talking about it in game....team killing golden mechs.

So, for anyone considering buying one...what steps are going to be taken to make sure that a $500 purchase is usable with relative peace of mind? I know the IGP team can't control the actions of a person behind the keyboard and some blowback is likely.

The more I think about it, the more I can't see myself spending that kind of money on a mech that is, from what I've been seeing, likely to get me TKed in any game I pilot it in. ;)

Well all I can say is make sure you memorize the "prtsc" button and report anyone that TKs. We will see how good PGI is at controlling the trolling *cough* unlike blizzard *cough*. For me personally I hate the term bling and golden mechs is too gaudy; besides who would take a brightly colored mech that is highly visible out on to a battlefield? They will obviously be the first shot at, so they may just be digital collector mechs.

#3 unFearing

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:18 AM

you could always shoot them back? it'd be pretty fun imo; start shooting almost right away once fired upon. the system would register that they shot you first, and you've got 500 dollars of reason to support yourself ;)

#4 Izzob

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 108 posts
  • LocationLyran Commonwealth

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

View Postwikkedj, on 29 December 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

$500 is allot of cash to most people, and to spend it on a game that if things take a turn for the bad can just be gone and leave you with nothing to show for it, also I don't see why people will TK golden mechs. I mean they cant really be game breaking and overpowered "typical pay to win" then the population playing the game would drop. So that would be a bad idea.

Im sure its going to be £500 worth of bling.

#5 PoLaR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 620 posts
  • LocationEast Bay

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

View PostFireSlade, on 29 December 2013 - 10:17 AM, said:

...besides who would take a brightly colored mech that is highly visible out on to a battlefield?

Actually, some maps have a very yellow tint, like River City Day and Caustic Valley and may blend in better then you think ;)

#6 z00med

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

It was actually quite amusing reading through the Goldmech-hate. I assume these people are also hanging around highway-bridges and throw stones on Jaguars, BMWs etc? Or start beating people up on the streets if they use expensive camera-equipment instead of the "free" camera on their smartphone...

In the end I think most people will have calmed down by the time Gold Mechs can be seen ingame. Or maybe we even have a working CW by then, so people will have something to do, instead of starting pseudo-educational calls for teamkilling in the forum.

P.S: I'd get a Goldmech if it could be equipped with a large sign on its back "Yup, my paycheck is waaaay bigger than yours!" (*justkidding*)

edit: maybe that mysterious Item they get will make a Goldmech-owner a viable part of every formation that wants to participate in CW (someone was assuming that this item could be used to choose which system to attack next)...

Edited by z00med, 29 December 2013 - 10:57 AM.

#7 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 29 December 2013 - 10:57 AM

If you ask me honestly if the gold mechs are worth it, I would say a solid no. However, what does the prestige of using a limited edition mech worth to you? For me, $500 (or $260 if you wanted the Warhawk pack anyways which is worth its value) is far too high. That is not to say it is not worth it to some people, but is it something you feel is value for the money?

#8 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:11 AM

Don't worry too much. The hate will blow over, the same way it did for 3pv. By june there will be very few people who are actually still angry. Unfortunately the few who are still angry will either aggressively necro threads or post a new thread detailing how PGI has defrauded them of millions of dollars by allowing people to use 3pv and nerfing clans every time their old thread is closed or slides off the front page.

#9 FireSlade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

I for one will be shooting the golden mechs, just not the ones on my team. ;) I do foresee bigger/meaner mechs being passed up when people see them; like now when fighting an Atlas and a Spider I repeatedly see people ignore the Atlas and chase the Spider around while the Atlas rips them apart.

#10 Sabre Howell

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:24 AM

I think most people take away the completely wrong idea every time people ask for money, and really the Golden mechs are just a continuation of this problem that has existed since the first founders program.

Since MWO is free to play they dont really pull much money in just from players, also if you just look at the forum numbers alone its safe to say that MWO currently has a player population of less than 25,000. Since games as pretty as this require some scary sums of money to not only maintain but to constantly tweak and build on, it only makes sense that they would offer extra "packages" to help raise the needed funding.

Im a fully paid founder and overlord sort of guy and yes ive already dropped the full $240 on the clans. Ill admit even i see $500 as a little "out there" in terms of realistic for a free-to-play title, but if someone wants to spend that sort of money I just see it as a way to help PGI keep MWO moving along in development. This is my all time favorite series and its just the reality of the world we live in that if i ever want to see PvE, not to mention a possible chapter series type campaign then PGI has to figure out a way to produce a this title with funding from a paying player base of less than 25,000.

Sorry if that seems to ramble at all, i guess im just trying to say i feel when ever someone spends money on these packs, or camo schemes, or "golden mechs", i dont see it as PGI being greedy, i see it as PGI offering the MWO community a way to have something special and help keep this game moving forward.

#11 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

Just use your almighty Clan tech to beat them up.

Oh wait they nerfed clan tech. Well, the Mech chassis are still superior.

#12 Pane1981

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

If anyone spends that kind of money on a Mech, I'm going to target them. Just for being dumb and giving the developers that kind of money for nothing.

#13 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 29 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

I agree with Sabre Howell. I mean, if one even thinks who spent 500$ for a gold 'Mech is stupid, why should he teamkill him? He actually helped the game they are both playing and countless people who do not invest in the game are balanced by these few.

Anyway, i would never buy a golden 'Mech: if i did, i would have instantly changed camo & color so would it be worth? LOL.

EDIT: if you see a poor (but rich) guy in a golden 'Mech being shot by someone would you fire to defend him? Maybe i would.

Edited by CyclonerM, 29 December 2013 - 11:52 AM.

#14 Degalus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 364 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

View PostPane1981, on 29 December 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

If anyone spends that kind of money on a Mech, I'm going to target them. Just for being dumb and giving the developers that kind of money for nothing.

Oh i love to kill teamkillers. My team have nice focusfire for them.

#15 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:00 PM

I think a lot of people are looking at this the wrong way. If someone wants to pay $500 for a golden mech and help support continued development of content for this game, that's awesome! *I* won't be buying one, but that's ok! The people that do are helping to continue financial support so that we can all EVENTUALLY have the game we [hopefully] wanted (ok, ok, at least a game we can live with?)

Despite the lies, exaggerations, and year plus long delays for basic content [some of which I can see justification for, some I cannot] PGI is the company developing this game. It's not gonna change. I've been playing Mechwarrior since Crescent Hawk's inception and the original Mechwarrior, and I really missed it when M$ shelved it.

So just because "you" are not happy with how the game is being developed, or the state of the game, you're going to punish anyone that helps contribute to the development of the content we all ultimately want? You shouldn't be Team Killing, you should be buying them a beer! (or a milkshake)

You don't like PGI? Great. Not happy with PGI? I'm right there with ya! Want PGI to lose the license and MwO to get shutdown? No thanks. At that point, the person I'm more inclined to Team Kill is YOU. If it's a choice between this or nothing, I'll take this.

#16 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

We'll see if these loudmouths have the stones to actually follow through with their threats. I suspect there will be more talk than action.

I for one will be rocking my gold Dire Wolf. If losers intentionally TK me, I'll report them and be satisfied that these type of people will need to find another game to hate, or start over from scratch with a new account.

By the way, to anyone one who avenges me . . . I say "Thank you!" in advance.

Edited by NRP, 29 December 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#17 DozyBugger

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMuntedChurch, New Zealand

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

I just don't get this mentality "Dur youse got golden meeeecccchhh! Youse toooo ritch me shooties you!"

Where as I see it as feature X has been implementated in the game thank you golden mech Pilot you Helped fund that in a big way ^_^

In short join Greenpeace and save the whales ;)

#18 Thorolf Kylesson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 140 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 29 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

So basically, you can't spend that kind of money so your going to be s deuchebag to those who can?

Edited by Thorolf Kylesson, 29 December 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#19 Chain Fire

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:16 PM

Might as well target every hero, champion, or founder mech on your team while your at it.

#20 Sky Ferrix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Augusta, SC

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

You might as well go light someone's Ferrari on fire just because you disagree with the manufacturer.

As others have said, we should be somewhat thankful that people are willing to buy big ticket items for this game, as they compensate for the players who haven't spent a dime. Do I have that kind of cash? Nope. But if someone really wants one and has the means to procure one, by all means they should be allowed to buy it without fear of having their gameplay impeded by needlessly spiteful teammates.

Most of the hostility is due to this CW business. As someone who's worked on countless group-oriented multimedia projects, it really doesn't surprise me it (along with other things) got pushed back. Does it suck? Yeah, I've been waiting for it since I signed up in 2009, so I understand and can identify with how displeased some people are about it, but as far as this teamkilling stuff goes? Sit down, lose the pampers, and stop taking your irrational rage out on other people. Unless they start with subscription fees while we're waiting, there really aren't many reasons to be so bratty.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users