Can Mediums Be A Viable Lrm Platform?

136 replies to this topic

#1 Goregrimm

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:08 AM

Out of 35 mechs I own maybe 3 of them use LRM. I find that they become less useful as you drop tonnage. Works great in my Highlander or Battlemaster but terrible in my Griffin.

Have you been able to build a high damage medium using LRM? What is the strategy?

#2 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,458 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:28 AM

Mediums are not only viable LRM platforms, but are considered by many players to be the best* LRM platforms.

Victor's semi-recent LRM Commandments post mostly hits on why - with LRMs more than any other weapon, range control is absolutely crucial. You have to dictate the range at which you engage the enemy, and big fat lumbering assault 'Mechs can't do that. Mediums, however, can equip sufficient LRMs (generally 20+ tubes minimum, with 30+ being preferable) to deal considerable damage to the enemy whilst also remaining mobile enough to pick and choose their engagements. It is a combat style generally referred to as LRM Skirmishing (or Lurmishing, if you're awesome), and it is easily the best way to use LRMs at the moment as it offers you the chance to deal heavy damage with your launchers even if the enemy team isn't solely comprised of total idiots fresh off their Cadet bonuses. Which an assault-class missile boat can't do.

My TBT-5N is my favorite LRM 'Mech and something I consider to be a great example of the breed. it's a little slower than I'd like at 89 w/Tweak, but the combination of Artmeis and Tag provides incredibly concentrated LRM barrages that deal considerable damage to the target. I get plenty of extra billz from NARC/TAG bonuses as well, since I'm up there holding locks on targets that less awesome LRM platforms are hitting themselves. The TBT-5N also has a wider twist range than other Trebuchets, allowing it to run away from a target while also retaining its weapons locks - something I've used to great effect against larger, slower targets trying to close in on me and deny me my tubes.

I used to run it with four tons of LRM ammo and three lasers in the right arm, but honestly? I found myself shooting the launchers dry in almost every match I played, and once the launchers were dry the trio of lasers didn't let me do much more than score a few assists anyways. This thing isn't defending itself from enemy lights no matter how many lasers you give it.

Even with just two medium lasers as backup armament, this particular Trebuchet is one of my most consistent damage dealers and just about the only thing I've ever successfully used LRMs on. 500+-damage games are the rule rather than the exception for this little muthah, and that's only because its ammunition limitations kept it from doing more. Lurmishing can be tricky to pick up, but it's also amazing fun once you do and can actually be very rewarding in a C-billz sense since you'll be picking up so many spotting/NARC/TAG bonuses.

Plus, the look on a Spider's face when you're able to maneuver well enough to hit him with repeated LRM barrages from medium range...it is a delicious look, full of sweet robotic tears...

#3 Father Tork

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:38 AM

The Griffin with 4x LRM5 is solid. Not outstanding damage wise, but by chain firing, you can screen shake targets into oblivion if they don't have enough AMS coverage. Plus you'll have enough weight to carry a PPC or ERLL for extra punching power.

#4 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:48 AM

I use LRM's on 2 of my medium's it can definitely work well, and is a completely different playing experience.

LRM's in general though have weaknesses so make sure to have some legit backup weaponry. ;) (3 Medium Laser's or a Ballistic)

#5 Buckminster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:25 AM

I've also seen 5xLRM5 Golden Boys do some significant damage. Chain fire to shake and disorient, alpha to punch through AMS.

The big thing is that with LRMs on a medium you're using a different approach. LRM assaults work on the "make it rain" theory. With LRM mediums, you need to control range and LOS, and then use that to dump missiles.

#6 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:36 AM

Sorry but carrying all LRM5's is not an effective LRM boat, it pretty much exists just to troll people.

Actually I found a decent Griffin LRM build that I think can compete well with the previously posted Treb 5N. The difference is that the Griffin can mount jump jets and has 15 degrees more torso twist than the Treb. Since each Griffin has a 20 port and the rest are ten ports, you just accomplish the same with an LRM20 and an LRM10 rather than 2x15's.

You can pretty much choose which Griffin you prefer based on its LRM and energy hardpoints, I just happened to have made it on the 1S at the time.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...77efff04e54bb85

#7 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

Right, but the hallmark of a great troll build is that it's effective too. Look at some of the maths:

5xLRM5
  • 10 tons (15 w/Artemis)
  • faster recharge
  • ability to chainfire (troll)
  • 25 missile alpha
LRM20 + LRM10
  • 15 tons (17 w/Artemis)
  • less heat
  • 30 missile alpha
I don't think the numbers are so clear cut. Personally, I'd take the 5xLRM5s, as you'll have better ammo usage, less weight, and troll fun, all at the expense of 5 missiles in the alpha.

#8 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

Most LRM5 boats tend to be little wusses chickening behind, which is probably why I frequently see them dying at the last and being absolutely obliterated and torn to pieces.

Regarding OP, one word: Trebuchet.

Edited by Helmstif, 07 January 2014 - 06:43 PM.

#9 Elyam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 538 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:45 AM

Medium LRM mechs? Very effective for range-control reasons described above.
Skirmish-range LRM use? Very effective.
Each type of loadout (multiple light launchers, a couple medium launchers, single heavy launcher) has advantages and uses based on impact shake, hit chance, crit finding chance, shoot timing and effectiveness of damage delivered when friendlies are a consideration in a furball, AMS susceptibility, effectiveness over available lock-on time, simple player style preference...we can go on and on and on.

#10 Aleski

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 873 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:15 AM

I use that one sometimes :

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3677ee2f75283f3[/smurfy]

But the default is the speed, no enough quick. Sometimes the five LRM5 and XL280 is better on a LRM GB =)

The trebuchet look very cool with the twin LRM with Artemis!

Medium mech are very good on LRM, with my LRM35 GB, i destroy heavy mech very quickly... It's a different version of the GB ("standard" version with SRM or Streak).

#11 Orbit Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 499 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

I currently think of the mediums in and LRM role as fast, fat, or skirmish. Fast is LRM5's, sufficient ammo, big engine, BAP, TAG, 1ML, no artemis. Fat is max workable alpha, XL255 (for the love of god NOT XL250 people, they weigh the same), as much ammo as possible (usually not enough), BAP, TAG, as many ML's as will fit left over, artemis varies. Skirmish is no BAP, no TAG, lasers plus LRM's, less ammo, no Artemis...The three sub-roles play differently, and there are three different medium chassis that are best at each sub-role. I'd say if you want to do a medium LRM boat, start with the Kintaros.

#12 Katus

• PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • LocationTucson AZ

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 07 January 2014 - 07:36 AM, said:

Sorry but carrying all LRM5's is not an effective LRM boat, it pretty much exists just to troll people.

Actually I found a decent Griffin LRM build that I think can compete well with the previously posted Treb 5N. The difference is that the Griffin can mount jump jets and has 15 degrees more torso twist than the Treb. Since each Griffin has a 20 port and the rest are ten ports, you just accomplish the same with an LRM20 and an LRM10 rather than 2x15's.

You can pretty much choose which Griffin you prefer based on its LRM and energy hardpoints, I just happened to have made it on the 1S at the time.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...77efff04e54bb85

Trolling as a military tactic is viable. I am not on the battlefield to coddle to my enemy's sensitivities, I am there to kill him or failing that preventing him from killing ME or my buddies. If I am using chain fired LRM 5s to force an enemy to move and stop firing at me then it is a win. Tactical Trolling for the win. When an enemy is doing what YOU want rather than what THEY want is how to win.

#13 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

You may want to check out the Trebuchet. It is a purpose designed medium LRM platform. I found them to be pretty effective at the LRM game, with speed and jump jets allowing you to get shots you wouldn't in a heavier platform. I've seen Griffins pull off similar feats of late.

#14 rdmgraziel

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:16 AM

4LRM5s also offers more concentrated damage potential than a single LRM20. An LRM20 tends to splash its damage all over a target, but the smaller-launchers offer more concentrated barrages which in turn lead to more CT hits. 4LRM5s also fires faster than a single LRM20, and against a target without AMS, the chainfire offers trolly levels of screen shake while also staggering your heat load.

20-30 in the air is all you really *need* per volley to break through AMS, but if you can get close enough, AMS will have less time to chew through your payload. LRMs in general require a lot of sacrifices and they have a bunch of counters, but a 50 tonner is more than capable of doing it. I wish I was better at using them, but I'm more successful at making SRMs work for me personally.

#15 Grendel408

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

My phoenix variant Griffin runs an XL255, endo-steel, almost maxed armor, 2 ML, TAG, 3 LRM10... this actually all my Griffins are set for LRMs :) And they do quite well for themselves, barely requires any piloting at all LOL!

#16 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

I leveled my KTO-20 using LRM40 (1260 rounds), 200XL, 3x mlas, AMS and a TAG.

Edited by Spheroid, 07 January 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#17 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

Short answer: Yes, but it's difficult. You have the mobility to control the range, but far less tonnage for ammunition and backup weapons.

You can't just sit in the back and throw wet kittens at people - you have to use your maneuverability. My buddy had a Trebuchet using LRM15s. He'd use its speed to get behind the main body and hammer their rear armor with LRMs before running away and re-setting. He'd get multiple kills on a good match, and had some games over 700 damage with multiple kills - but other times he'd get caught and butchered in the backfield.

If you want to do an LRM Medium, head over to Smurfy's Awesome Mechlab, and look at your intended chassis' missile tubes. I personally recommend you have more than 20 missiles that you can throw at once. Three out of the five Trebuchet chassis have two 15-tube LRM hardpoints, which makes them a good choice. The Hunchback 4J, on the other hand, has two 10-tube hardpoints, and my personal experience has been poor with it lately. Still, look at your missile tubes, bring a LOT of LRM ammo, and do not skip the medium lasers for backup weapons - with practice, you should do fine.

Simply make sure, as has been pointed out above, that you are not trying to do the "hide behind the real 'mechs and lob wet kittens at various terrain features enemy 'mechs" game. You should have brought a Stalker or something for that (and it's still a bad way to play those; but that's another thread.) Get out to the sides, watch out for lights, and balance your exposure with your ability to damage and disrupt the enemy by forcing them out of cover - your job is to get beside or behind whatever they're using for cover and throw angry wet kittens at them till they move. =)

Edited by Void Angel, 07 January 2014 - 11:40 AM.

#18 Goregrimm

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

I have Griffins and Wolverines and I tried to do a LRM 30 build on my 1S but I just couldn't do much with it. I may try again but I was interested in other peoples results since mine were spectacularly horrid.

#19 Revorn

• The Patron
  • 3,557 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:39 PM

ATM iam fine with this Build. 1 AC2, 300 Ammo, 3 LRM5, 540 Ammo. 1Medlaser. BAP. XL 300. Harrass Build.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...058ea4913ab563c

or

2 LRM 15 Atremis, 1440 Ammo, TAg, BAP, 2 SmallLaser, XL 200, Boat Build.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...682ee24d96812dd

Edited by Revorn, 07 January 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#20 rdmgraziel

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

View PostGoregrimm, on 07 January 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

I have Griffins and Wolverines and I tried to do a LRM 30 build on my 1S but I just couldn't do much with it. I may try again but I was interested in other peoples results since mine were spectacularly horrid.

I've had better luck with launchers of equal size, when I've managed to get LRMs to work for me, so you may wish to try the LRM 30 on the GRF-1N instead with 3 10s instead of a 20 and a 10. I had some success with 4 LRM5s on the GRF-3M, but it was highly team dependant (but I'm not great with LRMs). When it panned out, it worked great.

Edited by rdmgraziel, 07 January 2014 - 02:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users