• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

I am starting the search for a new gaming laptop.
I currently have an Acer Aspire 7741G-3647
i5-450M 2.4GHZ processor
ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 (1GB)
4GB DDR3 Ram

I've started to price and I'll probably be looking for something in the $800-$1000 price range. I usually head to best buy, new egg, and tiger direct to do my research but I figured I'd get some suggestions from my fellow gamers. So if you know of any good retailers, etc. I'd appreciate it.

#2 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:23 AM

Look into Sagers, for your price range I'd say something like this:

http://www.xoticpc.c...0st-p-6465.html

Though for that price, you'd be much better suited with a desktop. I'd say build a steambox type itx gaming rig and hook it up to your TV if space is a concern - if not I'd build a full sized desktop.

Edited by DocBach, 20 January 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#3 Catamount

• LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

Hey there, Sandpit.

First, that annoying but necessary question has to be asked: Do you already have a good gaming desktop, or live in a situation where owning a desktop is effectively impossible?

If if the answer is no to both, then the answer is: "get a desktop", and we'll discuss it.

With that out of the way, obviously the GPU is what's important, and the GPUs are a LOT better in the ~$1000 range than the $800 range, so since there's no reason to skimp a little and lose a lot, the high end of your price range is where you should focus. In terms of GPUs, Nvidia's got your segment of the market cornered, and I wouldn't even consider anything with below a GTX 760M, and preferably a 765M. The 750M is just too big a drop in performance for the modest price difference, so I wouldn't even consider a machine with one.

I agree with Docbach's Sager recommendation if you want a good single-GPU machine, which is good if you're going to primarily play MWO.

If this is a general gaming machine, another option would be this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834313584

Two 750Ms will be faster than one 765M, but only in games that make use of them, which is almost every game at this point, except, of course, MWO. The Lenovo will also have better battery life, although it will get hotter, and may not stand up to intensive gaming for as long.

#4 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

for gaming with Ati mobility I wouldn't go with anything less than the 5800m series which is getting kind of old now. I'm not really sure what the latest ati-amd gear manufacturers are currently stuffing into a laptop, but I would do lots of research and take your time before you make a buyers regret purchase. good luck!

#5 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

I like AMD hardware myself, but they just don't compete in the OP's price range. If he had the money for an 8970m, it would be different.

#6 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:07 AM

View PostSandpit, on 19 January 2014 - 08:31 PM, said:

I am starting the search for a new gaming laptop.
I currently have an Acer Aspire 7741G-3647
i5-450M 2.4GHZ processor
ATI Mobility Radeon HD5650 (1GB)
4GB DDR3 Ram

I've started to price and I'll probably be looking for something in the $800-$1000 price range. I usually head to best buy, new egg, and tiger direct to do my research but I figured I'd get some suggestions from my fellow gamers. So if you know of any good retailers, etc. I'd appreciate it.

Either you are trolling or you want to lose all credibility of someone ever taking you serious. There is and never will be a gaming laptop. There are just laptops that get slightly more powerful each year they do not or ever will be able to compete to a desktop around the same price.

Please tell me this is a troll 0/10

#7 o0Marduk0o

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,231 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:28 AM

View PostImperius, on 20 January 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

Either you are trolling or you want to lose all credibility of someone ever taking you serious. There is and never will be a gaming laptop. There are just laptops that get slightly more powerful each year they do not or ever will be able to compete to a desktop around the same price.

/facepalm

Nobody says that gaming laptops have an equal performance/money to desktop pc's. :blink: Following your misguided logic there won't be gaming desktop pc's as well. Only pc's with hardware which "gets slightly more powerful each year".

----------------------------------------------------------
But I would say 800-1000$ is quite low for a gaming laptop. You get good multimedia laptops in this price range. 1000-1500€ is a reasonable price but convert it to $ and you see what you need. :P

PS: 2 low-end cards and GF 750M is low end, don't make a good performance. Furthermore, SLI causes more trouble than single GPU cards.

Edited by o0Marduk0o, 20 January 2014 - 09:36 AM.

#8 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

View PostImperius, on 20 January 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

First of all, you have no idea what you're talking about.

You were right though, laptops are more expensive by nature.

Second of all, tell my laptop that runs the game at 50-60FPS all the time on ultra settings with vsync ON, that there are no gaming laptops. It probably out performs most people's desktops.

The guy asked for a laptop, his reasons don't matter, just like mine don't. So unless you have LAPTOP ADVICE, ****.

SO, moving on:

To the OP, I would really suggest saving some extra $$ and buying something like this:

http://www.sagernote...del_name=NP8235

With a laptop, since it's a little harder to upgrade, spending more initially is very much worth it! You might be able to catch that one on special as Sager is doing sales. Also this one doesn't look too flashy so you aren't ashamed to take it to work or w/e :rolleyes:

http://products.ncix...-84508-1035.htm

Also, this MSI looks flashier if you don't mind that I have had excellent support from them with my previous laptop, also the price is right, and I think would be a better option than the SLI Lenovo (IMO it is always better to go with 1 decent card than SLI 2 low end ones)

That being said, my brother was playing on a laptop the other day with a 2nd gen i7 and a 550M, and he was getting a consistent 30-40 FPS on medium settings. So, not so bad.

BTW, if you want a i7-740qm in the meantime for your Acer, I'll mail you one for the price of a case of beer :(

Edited by cSand, 20 January 2014 - 11:32 AM.

#9 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

The thing about gaming laptops though, is that they're prohibitively expensive, especially given a budget of $800-$1000.

For the same amount, he could have a desktop with midrange components that would still perform as well or better as a high-end gaming laptop twice the price.

#10 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

http://www.xoticpc.com/

i'll tell ya right now, unless you're happy with mediocre performance and/or have no interest in any upcoming AAA titles, $1000.00 is a bit on the low end for a "gaming" notebook.

If you're going to do it, you may as well do it right, shell out another $200-$500 and get something that will last you a few years.

Also bear in mind, it seems like nvidia is on the verge of updating their mobile line again. Waiting a month or three may net a significant increase in performance for the $$$ (or not, have to wait for an announcement. i just know a lot of new notebooks at ces had an as yet unnanounced gpu)

Edited by Sen, 20 January 2014 - 02:21 PM.

#11 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

Sen is right..

you can sometimes get some good ones on sale though. My previous (2010) MSI laptop was 1299$ and I got it for just over $1000 on special from NCIX. So definitely keep an eye on that stuff.

nVidia releasing new GPUs might be in your favour if it means the prices of this year's drop a little as a result! Although, from years of laptop gaming, I have found that for value for your money AMD's mobile GPUs seem to be the way to go. Mind you that's the same in the desktop world (less so recently thanks to stupid coin miners buying up all the AMD gpus and driving up prices)

I forgot to mention, if you don't mind an AMD cpu and can stand the gaudy looks, this is also a good value for a laptop with a 8970m:

http://www.ncix.com/...61&promoid=1035

Here is the one that I would go for on your budget though:

http://www.reflexnot...evo-w370st.html CDN site
http://www.xoticpc.c...0st-p-5841.html 'merican site

No OS included but I have a retail (legitimate) Win 7 Pro right here that I don't want which you can have for free.

Edited by cSand, 20 January 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#12 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 January 2014 - 04:57 PM

I don't need blazing speed. My current laptop gets me about 30-40FPS on low settings in this game and with the exception of what I snag off of steam, a couple of MMOs (including MWO), I game on my console. For the poster that called me a troll I'm sorry we can't all afford the luxury of a $2000 gaming rig. I'll now shame myself because you said I should sue to not having something that fits into your idea of what should be used to play this game.

To the otehr I've been looking at Sager (never had an experience with them but I've loved Acer) Are they a reliable company? And thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far, I'm going through links posted now :lol:

#13 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:06 PM

View PostCatamount, on 20 January 2014 - 08:34 AM, said:

Hey there, Sandpit.

First, that annoying but necessary question has to be asked: Do you already have a good gaming desktop, or live in a situation where owning a desktop is effectively impossible?

If if the answer is no to both, then the answer is: "get a desktop", and we'll discuss it.

With that out of the way, obviously the GPU is what's important, and the GPUs are a LOT better in the ~$1000 range than the $800 range, so since there's no reason to skimp a little and lose a lot, the high end of your price range is where you should focus. In terms of GPUs, Nvidia's got your segment of the market cornered, and I wouldn't even consider anything with below a GTX 760M, and preferably a 765M. The 750M is just too big a drop in performance for the modest price difference, so I wouldn't even consider a machine with one.

I agree with Docbach's Sager recommendation if you want a good single-GPU machine, which is good if you're going to primarily play MWO.

If this is a general gaming machine, another option would be this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834313584

Two 750Ms will be faster than one 765M, but only in games that make use of them, which is almost every game at this point, except, of course, MWO. The Lenovo will also have better battery life, although it will get hotter, and may not stand up to intensive gaming for as long.

I found that one and I've really been eyeing it but I've heard mixed reviews for Lenovo.

View PostcSand, on 20 January 2014 - 02:40 PM, said:

No OS included but I have a retail (legitimate) Win 7 Pro right here that I don't want which you can have for free.

Thank you sir, I have a couple of legit copies of Windows lying around so no OS isn't a biggy. Thanks to my job I can get some pretty cool software fairly easily and free

#14 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

As for laptop vs. dekstop
I want another laptop, my scenario is a laptop is almost required due to space and convenience

#15 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:24 PM

Sagers are less known than other companies, but they load their builds with high end components that smoke offerings from other companies in performance and price.

One thing, though - MWO is pretty dependent on CPU still; the upgrade to an i7 would do well for gameplay if you stay on a mobile platform. I'm on a 14" MSI GE40 with an i7 4700QM and a GTX760 and I get an average of 70 fps when nothings happening which drops to about 30-50 fps in the middle of big fights on medium settings.

To reiterate what was previously said, though - if you are going to primarily game in one spot, get a desktop. Keep your old laptop for mobility needs, surfing internet in bed, coffee shops, whatever, but have an actual platform for GAMING like a desktop.

#16 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

I'd love to do the desktop route but it's just nto feasible unfortunately so it needs to be a laptop. I'm really looking into the sagers now though. Not a brand I'm familiar with but I'm hearing good things from people i the community.

#17 TB Freelancer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 783 posts
  • LocationOttawa

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

View PostDocBach, on 20 January 2014 - 11:39 AM, said:

The thing about gaming laptops though, is that they're prohibitively expensive, especially given a budget of $800-$1000.

To be perfectly blunt. OP, you'd just get a good desktop at that price range, a "gaming" laptop that can handle games on the newest (and highly demanding) CryEngine for under a grand is just pure fantasy.

EDIT: Just noticed your last post. Sager would be a great brand, a significantly higher budget would do it. The ugly truth is that no matter how you slice it. A laptop to handle this game properly is going to cost a lot.

Edited by TB Freelancer, 21 January 2014 - 10:18 PM.

#18 mikelovskij

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:29 AM

Why, why ALWAYS when someone asks some advice on a laptop everyone feels the necessity to tell him "take a desktop". Everyone knows that desktops are better so please, start assuming that if someone wants to buy a laptop, he has his reasons. There are plenty of.

#19 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:47 AM

View Postmikelovskij, on 22 January 2014 - 01:29 AM, said:

Why, why ALWAYS when someone asks some advice on a laptop everyone feels the necessity to tell him "take a desktop". Everyone knows that desktops are better so please, start assuming that if someone wants to buy a laptop, he has his reasons. There are plenty of.

Because generally, if someone has a place they play their laptop on, they have a place where a desktop will fit.

Which will do the same job faster, prettier, and cheaper.

#20 Catamount

• 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 22 January 2014 - 08:13 AM

View Postmikelovskij, on 22 January 2014 - 01:29 AM, said:

Because 93% of the time, it's the correct answer. By far, the vast majority of people who think they want laptops, really don't, and simply don't understand the tradeoffs. More often than not, when those tradeoffs are explained, it's easily agreed that a desktop is the proper route.

Sandpit's already two steps ahead of us there, as I figured he'd be, but even so, what's more harmful: taking ten seconds to ask someone who doesn't need to be asked, or not asking someone and having it turn out they really wanted a desktop, and having them not be as happy for several years because of shoddy performance, reliability and upgradeability?

Sandpit, Sager's a very good brand. I think their machines are Clevo by design, which are very, very solid. Sometimes you do pay a bit more for them, and indeed that Lenovo is the better deal in terms of raw performance/$, but in return you get a very solid machine that won't die from overheating in a year.

Edited by Catamount, 22 January 2014 - 08:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users