Best Shadow Hawk Camo?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Nicholas Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

I was thinking about buying camo for my Shadow Hawk, since they are definitely a mech I forsee myself using for a long time.

But it was really hard for me to tell the differences on a lot of the camo's.

Anyone have any good screenshots they want to share to sway me a particular way?

#2 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts
  • LocationSunshine state.

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:37 PM

Are you looking for just "Cool" factor or "Blend in" factor? Since there are some patterns that do make you harder to see at a distance.

#3 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 25 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

Blend if thats possible. Never noticed really.

#4 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 01:39 PM

Snake camo (Scale pattern) is good for that. Makes your outline look more weird. Black - Brown - Light Tan is a good combo.

Entirely up to you to be honest! Since we don't fight in any one map alone, you can't make your camo match the terrain as much.

#5 AlphaToaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

The Vagabond pattern works really well for breaking up your mechs' outline as well as I think it looks really cool.

Use a gradient type of color scheme so the three colors seem to fade or blend into each other.

Use the color of your choice for the primary, say a green or blue. The next layer that surrounds that color, make it a middle color like a shade of grey for example. Then the last color that doesn't actually touch the first, make it a flat white, or flat black color.

This also works with using 3 differing shades of the same color to make it seem like a darker color is fading away but the best results are using a black or white color to offset your primary color of choice.

Breaks up your outline really well on maps that provide that kind of cover, and on night maps, you all but disappear.

Also you can't beat good ol' fashioned woodland pattern using Black, Grey, White in an urban scheme or even a marine urban Blue, Grey, White using the woodland pattern.

Those are the 2 I use to blend in. Some mechs look really cool with these patterns, I'll post some screenshots when I get a chance. My CPT-K2 looks mean in traditional woodland, but my SHD-2D2 looks beast w/ blue, grey, white vagabond.

#6 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

Only time I have noticed camo being effective in the slightest was black etc on terra therma. Any of the "daylight" maps camo isnt too effective.

i have however, used bright colors to try to psych out foes to shoot me where I want them too( if that makes sense) like on my awesomes, I made the Ct really dark and used that crazy neon green for side torsos to try to get people to aim for the bright area. it may have worked occasionally, hard to say. But in my mind it was genius! LOL.

#7 Nicholas Carlyle

• Bad Company
  • 5,958 posts
  • LocationMiddletown, DE

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

View PostEldagore, on 27 January 2014 - 07:53 PM, said:

Only time I have noticed camo being effective in the slightest was black etc on terra therma. Any of the "daylight" maps camo isnt too effective.

i have however, used bright colors to try to psych out foes to shoot me where I want them too( if that makes sense) like on my awesomes, I made the Ct really dark and used that crazy neon green for side torsos to try to get people to aim for the bright area. it may have worked occasionally, hard to say. But in my mind it was genius! LOL.

I love that concept. Maybe bright yellow next time?

I don't know, I hate how much MC it feels like it costs doing colors and such, so I'm leary of doing anything.

#8 PawPaWuFF

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

all default green so you blend in with the noobs without colors or XP they will percieve you as a low threat target and ignore you :mellow: i however use bright solid colors so you know i mean business this months color is coral snake red/black/yellow it marks a deadly bite best not to draw my attention <_<

Posted Image
i fear nothing

Edited by user5318, 28 January 2014 - 05:19 PM.

#9 joedawg39s

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 239 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 28 January 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

I don't know, I hate how much MC it feels like it costs doing colors and such, so I'm leary of doing anything.

It seems like a lot but, you can use colors them on every mech once you buy them. The cheep MC pack will get you 2 colors and a pattern. I feel like I play better when I know my mech looks good anyway.

My 2H(P) is bright blue and white and my 5Mis red and yellow flames. I have Fractal on the 2D2
Posted Image
If you really can't decide then pick a decade from the past 100 years or so and go by what camo they used then.

Edited by joedawg39s, 28 January 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#10 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

The concept of outline, color, contrast... or whatever. (Somebody help me here, classical training for camo?), doesn't really seem to work all that well because none of the camo patterns resemble any of the environments. Most notably the paintjobs on the mechs are typically a much higher resolution than the map textures, making it easy to quickly differentiate backdrop and target.
From the Corsair's (admittedly limited) experimentation with the concept, the best way to hide a mech in this game over the widest variety of maps seems to be the default pattern in shades of medium/light grey. Phoenix grey wound up being ideal because it drifts over into a slightly tan direction. The dark grays (grey or gray? hurm), like gunmetal, don't seem to work as well because at range they always appear darker than the surrounding terrain.

EDIT: Guhh, I need some teammates to help me take long distance screens to show you what I mean. But add some range with some atmospheric haze further obfuscating the issue, and you see what I mean? Adding a camo pattern would just help differentiate the mech itself:

Posted Image

Posted Image

See what I mean? Grey seems to neutrally reflect the ambient lighting effects... or else this is only with my graphics card and I'm delusional.

Edited by juxstapo, 28 January 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#11 MoonUnitBeta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:45 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 28 January 2014 - 06:15 PM, said:

See what I mean? Grey seems to neutrally reflect the ambient lighting effects... or else this is only with my graphics card and I'm delusional.

So.. this isn't a good camo?
Posted Image

lol..... i'm kidding.
That's really helpful though. It's neat how one colour does so many things! thanks! :mellow:

#12 Buckminster

• Elite Founder
  • 1,577 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:56 PM

How about something like this?

Posted Image

But in all seriousness, if you are looking for actual camouflage, just pick some basic, dull colors - light greys or tans. You need to take advantage of the fact that the filters in MWO will dull mechs at a distance, so that all of the colors kind of fade to grey/tan at a distance.

The other theory is the "bright and crazy" theory. Use large garish patterns and saturated colors. You'll never be able to hide, really, but you break up the silhouette of your mech making it harder for people to pick out parts to direct damage. It doesn't matter if someone can tell that your right torso is weak on armor if they can't clearly see where the right torso begins and ends.

#13 AaronWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 652 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

View Postuser5318, on 28 January 2014 - 05:05 PM, said:

coral snake red/black/yellow

Posted Image
i fear nothing

I got those snakes where I live, and I have had to deal with one or two. They aren't nice. Love the color scheme you based off them though! :mellow:

Red touching black, better stay back.

#14 PawPaWuFF

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

juxta i believe its the sniper's 4 "S's" of camo "shape, shadow, silhouette, shine"

damn straight wolf psyop intimidation, worse case i can be a rodeo clown squirrel that everyone tracks for a quick easy kill while the rest of my team cores them

Edited by user5318, 28 January 2014 - 07:59 PM.

#15 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

View Postuser5318, on 28 January 2014 - 07:57 PM, said:

juxta i believe its the sniper's 4 "S's" of camo "shape, shadow, silhouette, shine"

Thats what I was going for! Thank you.

#16 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

View PostNicholas Carlyle, on 25 January 2014 - 07:04 AM, said:

Blend if thats possible. Never noticed really.

that bright huge red triangle pretty much negates anything but cool factor.
the rest would be limited by the other guys video card.
watched mwo on a very high end machine........and the mechs stood out like beacons all the way across the map regardless the color, just my .02

#17 Johnny Two Legs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

Blend in?
Camo?
Subtle?

Pfft- go hard or go home :ph34r: with Buccaneer Camo scheme where each mech has slightly different words, symbols etc.

E.g. - Quickdraw QKD-4H with Buccaneer camo.
Posted Image

And here's the Blackjack!
Posted Image

J2L

#18 Johnny Two Legs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:39 PM

Here's more, showing the varied nature of the Buccaneer scheme with different mech chassis.

Orion
Posted Image

Victor
Posted Image

Not subtle at all :ph34r: :excl:

J2L

#19 RiotHero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 311 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:20 AM

I think the Shadowhawk is one of the few mechs that the new pattern works with pretty well. It looks really good on the Hunchback. The Shadowhawk has very large flat surfaces and it is symmetrical so this pattern works well if you like it.

Posted Image

If you want an actual camo patern I think the digital scales the best on this mech, of course you can use different colors to blend in:

Posted Image

This is probably the favorite of any of my patterns and it uses two of the basic cbill colors:

Posted Image

Some patterns look great on one mech and terrible on the other. Either the shape or size of the mech just doesn't work with certain patterns. Honestly though you can make some nice looking color schemes with just the basic green, red, blue, and orange. Then buy maybe one other darker color and that's enough for most people. If any greens go on sale I need to get a brighter green and I'll be set.

#20 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 15 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

The military like camo sheme always looks good on every mech!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users